Nightbane Novels

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Zenvis
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator

Nightbane Novels

Unread post by Zenvis »

I don't know what it is but I love Nightbane stories. Aside from the Rifters, where can I find more content?
Everything you can imagine is real. - Pablo Picasso
Imagination is more important than knowledge." but knowledge does help. - Albert Einstein
The gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge. - Albert Einstein
My Blog and My Other Blog
Razorwing
Hero

Re: Nightbane Novels

Unread post by Razorwing »

Not too sure to be honest, but there are probably some fan-fictions at a number of RPG forum sites around. The quality of these stories is likely to vary wildly though. Don't have any links to such sights though (a Google search might turn something up though).
There are three types of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.
Zenvis

Unread post by Zenvis »

Google produced eh.... zilch. Than again I wasn't looking too hard.
Imagination is more important than knowledge." but knowledge does help. - Albert Einstein
The gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge. - Albert Einstein
Antimony
D-Bee

Are we "allowed" to write such stories?

Unread post by Antimony »

I'm not too familiar with copyright laws (though I really ought to be :oops: ). Would we be allowed to write such things (and post them on, say, a fanfiction site)? Or would that be a breach of property / ideas?
:rose:
Zenvis

Re: Are we "allowed" to write such stories?

Unread post by Zenvis »

Antimony wrote:I'm not too familiar with copyright laws (though I really ought to be :oops: ). Would we be allowed to write such things (and post them on, say, a fanfiction site)? Or would that be a breach of property / ideas?

I'd check.
Antimony
D-Bee

Just did

Zenvis wrote:
Antimony wrote:I'm not too familiar with copyright laws (though I really ought to be :oops: ). Would we be allowed to write such things (and post them on, say, a fanfiction site)? Or would that be a breach of property / ideas?

I'd check.

I would, too. :wink: And did.

This site is, I think, a good indication of what's allowed: it depends on what's written, the original author's mood, and the contending lawyers' skill (sorry, the last was a bad joke, I admit).

Of course, were I to write a work of "fanfiction" based off a Palladium setting, I'd still want permission; nor would I use any characters from the books, save for "groups," i.e., Hounds, Nightbane, and factions. My book would take place in their world, but would involve characters I'd created for it (with the possible exception, I admit, of Janice Hotchkiss and some of those bad apple girls from Club Hades--utterly awesome vixens). 8-)

Something to think about, at least.
Razorwing
Hero

Fan fiction is one of those grey areas where copyright law doesn't always apply to... unless one tries to get paid for their work (or otherwise profit from it... such as submitting it to contests and such). Virtually all fan fiction is considered non-canon for those settings... unless they've gotten permission to make it canon (rare, but possible).

As long as you are not profiting (in any way other than just from people reading your work) from posting it to a site, there is little that lawyers can do to stop you... otherwise a lot of sites where fan fiction is posted to would have been shut down long ago.

Of course, if you want to try to get permission from the owners of a given piece of Intellectual Property (story setting), you are free to do so.
There are three types of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.
Antimony
D-Bee

Razorwing wrote:Virtually all fan fiction is considered non-canon for those settings... unless they've gotten permission to make it canon (rare, but possible)

I wouldn't be writing it with the hopes of it becoming canon. I'd be flattered if it became so, but my aspirations haven't been that high. :)
Razorwing wrote:Of course, if you want to try to get permission from the owners of a given piece of Intellectual Property (story setting), you are free to do so.

That's the general idea. But, since I haven't actually written anything yet, I won't be surprised if I'm refused. I'll probably check back (with the idea) in a few weeks, once I've got a chapter or five done up and an outline fleshed out.
Razorwing
Hero

What is the policy of posting Fan Fiction to these forums... provided the particular piece is put in the right place (Nightbane stories in the Night bane Forum, etc.)?

Would it be considered the same as sharing a write up for a custom character or OCC? As long as it doesn't violate the forum rules... (vulgar, explicit or too graphic), would it be acceptable... especially if one is hoping to get feedback on how to improve their writing (not unlike how people here help refine other concepts from OCCs to NPCs)?
Zenvis

Unread post by Zenvis »

I would love some fan fiction of the Nightbane universe.
Razorwing
Hero

hmm... I do have some ideas that could make some interesting stories (I was just going to write them up as possible adventures)... so stick around and we'll see what happens (no guarantees it will be soon though).

Return to “Nightbane®”