Mortificants being canon in NB now...

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Mortificants being canon in NB now...

Unread post by Tor »

Per rifter 50, now part of the setting, it leads me to wonder, could Nightbane learn this OCC much like Sorcerer/Mystic?

Same inquiry regarding other magic OCCs in TTGD too I suppose.

What about the Athanatos? They already have a Necro-ish OCC path as it is.

Could Necrophim learn it? Fallen/Dark Guardians?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: Mortificants being canon in NB now...

Unread post by eliakon »

As written? No The only magic classes, as written, that a Nightbane may be are the Nightbane Sorcerer, and the Nightbane Mystic. However if a GM wants to allow it, then sure a Nightbane could be allowed to be any sort of magic user, but that would be a house rule.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Razorwing
Hero

Unread post by Razorwing »

Wasn't there a write up of a Nightbane Fleshsculptor in one of the Rifters?

Why let something like "official" rules get in the way of an interesting character or story?
There are three types of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Razorwing wrote:Wasn't there a write up of a Nightbane Fleshsculptor in one of the Rifters?

Why let something like "official" rules get in the way of an interesting character or story?

Which is why I sais "If the GM allows it"
Sure if it adds to the story go ahead invoke rule 0 and change things to allow it. But since the question was not "could this be cool in some circumstances" but "Is this legal"....
The answer to is it legal is simply no. Nightbane, Guaridans, Athanos all have specific RCCs that they have to take.
The answer to could it be cool is, yes in some games, and with some character stories it might be cool.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Ah... but do any of those three RCCs say they can't use the multiple OCC rules?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Tor wrote:Ah... but do any of those three RCCs say they can't use the multiple OCC rules?

Nightbane has rules for giving a character multiple OCCs? I thought that was only Palladium Fantasy via the Cutting Room floor?
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Back of PF tells me "compatible with the entire Megaverse", this is taken to heart.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Tor wrote:Back of PF tells me "compatible with the entire Megaverse", this is taken to heart.

So if your GM wants to allow those rules to be used, and if your GM allows RCCs to use them, and allows for you to take OCCs then sure.....But since that's not addressed in canon anywhere I guess your back to 'If your GM allows it as a house rule'

Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

It's on the book, so it's canon.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Tor wrote:It's on the book, so it's canon.

Besides the word compatible does not mean the same as officially a part of.

And even if it were that STILL doesn't make the rule applicable in this case. Since as written the rule only applies to leaving an old OCC and entering a new one. You would have to make a house rule that you could leave an RCC and enter an OCC. So right there your out of canon territory.

Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

http://www.palladiumbooks.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=226%3Adual-occs&catid=58&Itemid=200
Characters that wish to learn a new O.C.C. must first advance at least one level in their current O.C.C./R.C.C. At second level (or wherever desired), they may opt for training in the new O.C.C. as SOON as they reach that new level

http://palladiumbooks.com/questions/noncombat.html
53. Can a Achilles Neo-Human R.C.C. have an O.C.C.? If so which ones can I chose from? Do I get both the RCC and OCC skills? Would I use the RCC exp. table or the OCC exp. table?
Answer: Yes they can elect to take a O.C.C. at a later level. Use the rules for changing O.C.C. (tall their powers and abilities from the Neo-Human are frozen).

Leaving an RCC is allowed :) Even without an FAQ so much was apparent by dragons having magical OCCs in CB1.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Tor wrote:
http://www.palladiumbooks.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=226%3Adual-occs&catid=58&Itemid=200
Characters that wish to learn a new O.C.C. must first advance at least one level in their current O.C.C./R.C.C. At second level (or wherever desired), they may opt for training in the new O.C.C. as SOON as they reach that new level

http://palladiumbooks.com/questions/noncombat.html
53. Can a Achilles Neo-Human R.C.C. have an O.C.C.? If so which ones can I chose from? Do I get both the RCC and OCC skills? Would I use the RCC exp. table or the OCC exp. table?
Answer: Yes they can elect to take a O.C.C. at a later level. Use the rules for changing O.C.C. (tall their powers and abilities from the Neo-Human are frozen).

Leaving an RCC is allowed :) Even without an FAQ so much was apparent by dragons having magical OCCs in CB1.

Which would be cool if those answers were considered Canon. But they aren't. So its 'sort of allowed'
And Adult Dragons are, as usual, a special case.

Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

The first one is definitely canon, it is missing errata.

The second is a very reasonable conclusion based on canon rules.

Adult Dragons are never stated to be a special case, so I consider them an example.
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

Tor wrote:Per rifter 50, now part of the setting, it leads me to wonder, could Nightbane learn this OCC much like Sorcerer/Mystic?

Same inquiry regarding other magic OCCs in TTGD too I suppose.

Based on the Nightbane Sorcerer and Nightbane Mystic classes, it can be inferred that any Nightbane magician should have the exact same O.C.C. skills as the human version at -5% (except for Language skills, which are not penalized). O.C.C. related skills receive no penalties, but Nightbane magicians have 2-3 fewer O.C.C. related and Secondary skills than their human counterparts. No psionics are ever gained (although a selection of Talents may be substituted, as with the Nightbane Mystic), and P.P.E. is always as per the Nightbane R.C.C., with P.P.E growth per level being accelerated to 2D6+6. Some bonuses would be reduced by -1 or -2, though this is not done consistently in the book.

What about the Athanatos? They already have a Necro-ish OCC path as it is.

I don't know, the Obscuruphim Necromancer Path is pretty limited compared to the conventional Necromancer O.C.C.s of Rifts and PF; the Necrosis Host actually provides most of the true necromantic powers. Allowing a proper O.C.C. to be substituted for a Path greatly expands the power and utility of the Athanatos. GM's call.

Could Necrophim learn it? Fallen/Dark Guardians?

If either race are allowed to have a magic O.C.C. at all, I see no reason not to include the Mortificant, although its usefulness is limited in the Astral Plane.

Razorwing wrote:Wasn't there a write up of a Nightbane Fleshsculptor in one of the Rifters?

Yep, Dr. Lillian Campbell, Rifter #39, pp. 31-35.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Astral Plane has corpses too, I'd assume. ObscuNecros only seem good for corpse disposal and defending against magic, IMO. The whole 'you can't reuse the corpse when the duration ends' is a huge penalty for them.
Warwolf
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

As per the Q&A in Rifter #48, the only magical classes available to Nightbane are the Nightbane Mystic and Nightbane Sorceror. Lilian Campbell is NOT canon (just like Aquaria, who I wrote in that same issue). However, as has been mentioned, you shouldn't shy away from bending the rules in favor of interesting and fun game-play. So if your GM allows Nightbane Mortificants, go have a blast playing one!
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Warwolf wrote:per the Q&A in Rifter #48, the only magical classes available to Nightbane are the Nightbane Mystic and Nightbane Sorceror.

That's an interesting retcon on page 25 :)
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Tor wrote:
Warwolf wrote:per the Q&A in Rifter #48, the only magical classes available to Nightbane are the Nightbane Mystic and Nightbane Sorceror.

That's an interesting retcon on page 25 :)

What other class was ever available?

Return to “Nightbane®”