Who had more rights?

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Who had more legal ground to stand on and who is the better guy?

Todd McFarlane definately had a better case, I mean come on Hellspawn who even in the title is only referred to as Spawn was definately being infringed upon.
8%
Clive Barker had a much stronger case than Todd. Nightspawn vs. Nightbreed... seriously? To spawn is to breed. If ya can't see that is closer than hellSPAWN... :nh:
25%
Neither had a good case.
8%
I'd consider Todd the better guy, because...
8%
I'd consider Clive the better guy, because...
17%
What? They're both dorks.
33%

Total votes: 12

Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Who had more rights?

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

I was perusing a comic shop when I saw that Clive Barker's Nightbreed was still being made."
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: Who had more rights?

I think that if Clive knew about Nightspawn not only its titular simularity, but its creature concept of random freaks AND he didn't sue, he is a pretty awesome guy who values new ideas, even if they're based or derived from a preexisting concepts he came up with.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Dead Thread Walking :Bandit:
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

eliakon wrote:Dead Thread Walking :Bandit:

Someone already polled? Or was it just a consensus. That Clive would have better reason than Todd?

I looked but there are far too many references to nightbreed.
Razorwing
Hero

Unread post by Razorwing »

To be honest... I don't think either really would have had a strong case against the NightBANE... baring some superficial similarities, the overall feel of the 3 settings is quite different. It's like trying to compare a Forgotten Realms Novel to the Lord of the Rings... sure you will find similarities (wizards, elves, epic quests, etc.), but in the end they are entirely different. That said... given the United States legal system in regards to cases like this... having any similarities (even superficial ones) is grounds for a successful suit (even if there is no way a reasonable people could mistake one for the other).
There are three types of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

I'm afraid I would have to read Nightbreed to know if there was anything beyond the title in common. I do agree that 'breed' is closer to 'spawn' than 'hell' is to 'night' though, if that's the issue.

McFarlane's content had nothing to do with this. Hellspawn was such a blatant ripoff of Ghostrider in concept, he is the height of hypocrisy.

Nightspawn/Nightbane are nothing like either of those two. I can't even think of anything in comics right now that comes close to it. PF's Witches, Federation of Magic's Corrupt, Phase World's Demon Knights or HU's Mystic Bestowed (or Armageddon's Unlimited Deevil/Demon themed mods) were far closer to those themes than Nightspawn/bane ever was. Shows the guy probably never even picked up the book and just heard of the title.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse

Return to “Nightbane®”