PD novels and the Mirrorwall

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

PD novels and the Mirrorwall

Unread post by Tor »

Through the Looking Glass, written in 1878 had . Sure it's publicc domain now. https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Through_ ... ound_There

Anne of Green Gables, written in 1908, had Katie Maurice. I think it's public domain now too: https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Anne_of_Green_Gables

Both of these things just remind me of mirrorwalls and Nightlands and Dopplegangers... Katie Maurice in particular is really creepy.

Presumably we could do conversions for things now in the public domain right? It kind of feels like a LOT of stuff could be incorporated into BtS/Nightbane/Rifts due to that. How possible is it that Palladium would actually publish sourcebooks for lines incorporating a lot of references to these old works and statting them up?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: PD novels and the Mirrorwall

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

I BELEIVE posting stats for public domain works and mythology to the forums is okay. It is not okay to sell or in any way profit from such an endeavor, however, I think.

If this is wrong, mods please step in and correct.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
auyl
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by auyl »

Not sure about not allowed to profit from it.

Look how much Lovecraft and Cthulhu related material is out there. It's all public domain and people have no license to sell it yet they are still able to.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

auyl wrote:Not sure about not allowed to profit from it.

Look how much Lovecraft and Cthulhu related material is out there. It's all public domain and people have no license to sell it yet they are still able to.

The issue isn't about you profiting from public domain works, the issue is your conversion from through the looking glass to palladium system uses the megaversal system, which is held by palladium books.

You wouldn't be in trouble for making a TTLG Nightbane netbook and selling it, you'd be in trouble for making a Nightbane netbook and selling it without having a palladium-issued licence to do so.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
auyl
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by auyl »

I'm not arguing that point. Just trying to say that you could make conversions of open domain content without getting in legal trouble.

HOWEVER

Due to PB anti-conversion policy I doubt you'd see them. Which is sad because I would love to see some Cthulhu Mythos conversions into the Palladium system.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

auyl wrote:I'm not arguing that point. Just trying to say that you could make conversions of open domain content without getting in legal trouble.

HOWEVER

Due to PB anti-conversion policy I doubt you'd see them. Which is sad because I would love to see some Cthulhu Mythos conversions into the Palladium system.[/quote]

I think you are misunderstanding me. You will not get in legal trouble for using public domain work. you will get in legal trouble for using the palladium system, regardless of weather or not you are applying it to public domain works and then attempting to profit from it. That is all I said. If you don't disagree with me, why are you arguing with me? :?

Return to “Nightbane®”