Explaining Religion in NB

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

auyl
Megaversal® Ambassador

Explaining Religion in NB

Unread post by auyl »

So, not to start anything to controversial, but was wondering what other people's view points on human religion would be in the worldview of NB.

I get that certain NB of humanity's past could be misinterpreted as god(s). Or else the formless ones, lightbringers, nightlords etc, etc could all be explained away as the religious figures of earths past. Is there more of an explanation? Who was responsible for this deception if it was the aforementioned powers, or else is there more going on in the astral plane and dreamlands that the above powers are unaware of? Does the Dark have something to fear that hasn't shown it's face yet?

What are your thoughts?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Explaining Religion in NB

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

PB has wisely stayed away from any topic dealing with modern day faiths and religions.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
auyl
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by auyl »

I know that. I wasn't asking what PB's viewpoint on it was.

I asked what other people's view on it was.
Icefalcon
Champion

Unread post by Icefalcon »

I think the question of religion is better left ambiguous and up to the GM.
*Sniff, Sniff* Why does it smell like wet dog in here?!
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

I'd go with the time-honoured horror genre convention of "Religion is all wrong". It's been around since at least The War Of The Worlds, and it's a great way to reinforce the notion that all these terrifying things you never knew existed don't play by the rules.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:PB has wisely stayed away from any topic dealing with modern day faiths and religions.

You mean other than giving the Hindu gods stats in Pantheons.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Tor wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:PB has wisely stayed away from any topic dealing with modern day faiths and religions.

You mean other than giving the Hindu gods stats in Pantheons.

Yeah but that's only a patronisingly juvenile take on the third biggest religion on the planet, and it's not even a religion that's very big in America so apparently it doesn't count. What's important to Palladium Books is ensuring that they don't accidentally offend the mothers of American teenage boys.
Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

For the brief time that I ran Nightbane back in '99, I had it noted that Moloch's ultimate goal was to wage war on Heaven. Tormenting/mass murdering humanity was simply a means to an end; namely to inflict such harm and suffering that the Heavenly Host showed up to personally intervene. (which they did, in the form of the Guardians).

Kind of silly, but I was much younger then...
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Waging war on the Guardians "heaven" might be a justified idea. I question their morality with their generaly policies towards vampires.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

Right, cuz PB's vampires are all sexgods and reluctant to harm anyone, and totally not shown to be about 99.999999999999% pure evil?
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

I am unclear what distinguishes your -pure- evil from a simple evil alignment. I am not clear on the alignment breakdowns of secondaries, but they can be unprincipled good, and I am not led to think that is a minority.

Also, even being of a Miscreant or Aberrent alignment does not mean you deserve death. People should be judged on their actions, not their predispositions.

Vampires do not have to be reluctant about harm to have meaning. So long as they are policed and can respect laws that allow them to coexist. This is exactly what the Vampire Kingdoms, including Haktla in South America, are accomplishing.

Magical or psionic healing to restore HP enough to regen blood pints (15 per, 30 per liter) is not that hard, and so long as humans are not overfed by taking too many pints at once prior to healing them, there is no trauma from the process. In exchange, vampires can provide many complimentary services to their partners.

Not saying they are sparkly, but they have never been this menace they are being painted as, lately probably due to Revised retcons.

Return to “Nightbane®”