~ Oh, Oh, Goodness YES !! RIFTER #49’s VAMPIRES

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

TechnoGothic
Knight

~ Oh, Oh, Goodness YES !! RIFTER #49’s VAMPIRES

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

Thank You Ed Woodward III. Thanks you and anyone who helped you to create your versions of Vampires for Palladium games. These are Vampires, real vampires.

Quick Review is in Order. Vampire Lords. YES. These are what I think of when talking about Vampires the Lords of the Undead. I Love how they are “Cursed” with Undeath. Master Vampires. YES. Again you hit the nail on the head of what a Master vampire should be. Common Vampires. Yes. More perfection of what vampires are really like. Though I refuse to use the term Secondary Vampires due to the connection to Rifts VI craptastic types of vampires.

SKILLS. I enjoy how you have made Vampires Playable Characters in regards to skills. Love it.
Age Points. As a means of gaining their powers. Brilliant. I love it.

Flawed Vampires. Pretty good write up actually. I look forward to using one as an NPC at some point in a future game.

Five Out of Five Stars guys. Perfection.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: ~ Oh, Oh, Goodness YES !! RIFTER #49’s VAMPIRES

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

And yet, Ed knows better than to actually use vampires aginst us, because have a means to mind control them en masse. The last time we had a vampire problem we just had the catgirl make them all walk out and dance around in daylight :D
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Gangrel44
D-Bee

Unread post by Gangrel44 »

[quote="TechnoGothic"]Thank You Ed Woodward III. Thanks you and anyone who helped you to create your versions of Vampires for Palladium games. These are Vampires, real vampires.

Quick Review is in Order. Vampire Lords. YES. These are what I think of when talking about Vampires the Lords of the Undead. I Love how they are “Cursed” with Undeath. Master Vampires. YES. Again you hit the nail on the head of what a Master vampire should be. Common Vampires. Yes. More perfection of what vampires are really like. Though I refuse to use the term Secondary Vampires due to the connection to Rifts VI craptastic types of vampires.

SKILLS. I enjoy how you have made Vampires Playable Characters in regards to skills. Love it.

Flawed Vampires. Pretty good write up actually. I look forward to using one as an NPC at some point in a future game.

And what's even better the new rules allow you to make different types of vamps. I created a Nosferatu strain of vampires and used it in Nightbane and BTS and my players loved me for it. Rifter 49 vamps are the way to go.
TechnoGothic
Knight

Gangrel44 wrote:
TechnoGothic wrote:Thank You Ed Woodward III. Thanks you and anyone who helped you to create your versions of Vampires for Palladium games. These are Vampires, real vampires.

And what's even better the new rules allow you to make different types of vamps. I created a Nosferatu strain of vampires and used it in Nightbane and BTS and my players loved me for it. Rifter 49 vamps are the way to go.

Yeah I know. I'm tempted to make a Morbius the Living Vampire type for a game.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
TechnoGothic
Knight

anyone else using them ? I know I'm replacing the Rifts vamps completely.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

TechnoGothic wrote:anyone else using them ? I know I'm replacing the Rifts vamps completely.

That is PRECISELY what I decided to do as soon as I finished reading the article. Not just Rifts either. Vampires in ALL PB games.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Jedrious
Adventurer

Unread post by Jedrious »

jaymz wrote:
TechnoGothic wrote:anyone else using them ? I know I'm replacing the Rifts vamps completely.

That is PRECISELY what I decided to do as soon as I finished reading the article. Not just Rifts either. Vampires in ALL PB games.

That and I'm also considering porting the Age point mechanism to all "effectively immortal" lifespaned supernatural beings, Nightbane, Nightlords, Night Princes, apparently Awakened Doppelgangers since we still have Attila the Hun's Doppelganger walking around. Would have to figure out more powers, and obviously some would require being restricted to certain types of supernatural beings.
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Jedrious wrote:
jaymz wrote:

That and I'm also considering porting the Age point mechanism to all "effectively immortal" lifespaned supernatural beings, Nightbane, Nightlords, Night Princes, apparently Awakened Doppelgangers since we still have Attila the Hun's Doppelganger walking around. Would have to figure out more powers, and obviously some would require being restricted to certain types of supernatural beings.

I am not planning to go this far but i was looking at something similar for were creatures
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
TechnoGothic
Knight

Jedrious wrote:
jaymz wrote:

Talents : Cost to purchase amount times 10 for the Age Points is fair.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

Jedrious
Adventurer

TechnoGothic wrote:
Jedrious wrote:
jaymz wrote:

Talents : Cost to purchase amount times 10 for the Age Points is fair.

I'm going a bit more fleshed out than talent acquisition:

Age Powers I'm viewing as non-species specific:
Indomitable Will
Superior Regeneration
Enhanced Strength
Enhanced Speed
Enhanced Agility
Unearthly Beauty
Mental Power (if race restricts psionic powers, that race is prohibited)
Sorcerous Power (if race restricts spell power, that race is prohibited)
Great Magical Potential
Great Psychic Potential
Sleep of Ages (modified for non-psionic races)
Scholarly Mind

Ones I've thought about:
Evolve Morphus
Cost to Acquire: 250(?) Age Points
Restriction: Nightbane
Reacting to the changing world around you, your Morphus draws upon your expereince in the everchanging world and adapts.
Gain one Morphus Trait, either randomly or chosen in concert with your GM, if chosen randomly, reroll any results that would have resulted in multiple traits.

Survive Mirror's Life
Cost to Acquire: 15 Age Points; more points can be spent to increase the doppleganger's life expectancy
Restriction: Doppleganger
Your connection to existence is stronger than most, you can survive additional time on Earth while your double still lives. The number of age points spent on this power determines how much more time you have 15 Age Points: Three Days, 25 Age Points: One Week, 40 Age Points: One Month, 70 Age Points: One Year, 150 Age Points: Indefinately
Jedrious
Adventurer

G-Zombie wrote:Awesome stuff, A quick question though. In the article under the description of the dhampir it clearly states that in regards to age points the dhampir count as the type of vampire that created them. Then on page 74 it says the dhampir has fixed age points at 2D6x10+50 with an additional 10 points per century. I opt for the type of vampire, based on the vampirick which is created the same way as a dhampir and counts as the type of vampire in both sections. What do you think?

I believe the passage regarding Dhampirs counting the same as their progenitor is refering to how different powers work differently for the various categories of vampires, such as the variation in chance for defective slaves in the Enslavement power, as oppossed to refering to Age Point progression
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

G-Zombie wrote:
Jedrious wrote:
G-Zombie wrote:Awesome stuff, A quick question though. In the article under the description of the dhampir it clearly states that in regards to age points the dhampir count as the type of vampire that created them. Then on page 74 it says the dhampir has fixed age points at 2D6x10+50 with an additional 10 points per century. I opt for the type of vampire, based on the vampirick which is created the same way as a dhampir and counts as the type of vampire in both sections. What do you think?

I believe the passage regarding Dhampirs counting the same as their progenitor is refering to how different powers work differently for the various categories of vampires, such as the variation in chance for defective slaves in the Enslavement power, as oppossed to refering to Age Point progression

Good point, but on page 66 it says "So a dhampir created by a shade will have very weak powers and FEW POINTS, while a dhampir created by a master vampire would have much more power." I don't know it just seems like an oversight no offense to Mr. Woodard because this is one of the best Rifter articles ever. I would just like to know how the rest of you play it.

I'll point him to this thread, he'd probablly be willing to chime in with his answer.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Specter
Adventurer

Unread post by Specter »

Are they really that good... I might just have to go out and buy this book.... then again I still don't have a gaming group since the last time I went out and bought an rpg book. This is an expensive habit with no pay off. Where are all the SC gamers?!
My dragon juicer died because of magical sock puppets. - ash_wednesday

hell id go on spectors pods- Cherico

keep Specter's ass out of my general area when he fells naked- Rayven

Specter "the poopy pants man"-CyberPaladin85

http://beautifuldiscord.blogspot.com My Poetry/Short Stories I want you to comment!
TechnoGothic
Knight

Yes Specter, it is that good.

"All you have to do, is take my hand, Evil." -- Fright Night, Jerry Dangreg
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

Specter
Adventurer

Unread post by Specter »

Lord Nikon wrote:Finally I was able to get Rifter #49 and go through it, and I do have to say I like most of what I read. Seriously considering using them in my Rifts and Heroes games (the 2 Palladium tiltles I usually run). Before I put anything in a game though I like doing the "acid test" and try to check for problems.

One problem I had with the original Vamp's in Palladium is the originating class or O.C.C. abilities. My wife DESPERATELY wants to play her Burster character as a Vampire in my current Rifts Campaign. If I was to use the optional rules as set out in Rifter, would she keep her burster abilities? There's nothing saying she wouldn't. Personnaly I think it would be really interesting. Also, th age old question about D-Bee abilities. Do the Vamps in #49 keep them?

I'll be keeping the old VI idea in Rifts for a little bit more, however I'll be making the "New" vampires as presented in Rifter the True Vampires in the world and they will be waging a war against the Old VI's and eventually force the imposters out and take over.

Also, the idea of age points I really liked. Though I would probably tie it in more with xp level and not age. Also, the costs of some abilities are way too expensive. Resist Religious Symbol and Swim in Running Water come to mind. Considering most players would be only able to play a "Secondary Vampire", gaining only 5 age points every century or level, the player could play a 15th level vampire and would still need to "live" for 2500 years before he could swim accross a small river. That's nuts! :shock:

I'm considering halving all costs, or increasing the age points to allow my players to actually get an ability or two during their characters entire play time...

Or you can do what I've been saying I was going to do for a couple of years now. Run a Nightbane game... through time! Since there are so many things that are "effectively immortal" I was going to run a nightbane game starting in Ancient History and progress the game rapidly at certain points.
My dragon juicer died because of magical sock puppets. - ash_wednesday

hell id go on spectors pods- Cherico

keep Specter's ass out of my general area when he fells naked- Rayven

Specter "the poopy pants man"-CyberPaladin85

http://beautifuldiscord.blogspot.com My Poetry/Short Stories I want you to comment!
TechnoGothic
Knight

Lord Nikon wrote:Finally I was able to get Rifter #49 and go through it, and I do have to say I like most of what I read. Seriously considering using them in my Rifts and Heroes games (the 2 Palladium tiltles I usually run). Before I put anything in a game though I like doing the "acid test" and try to check for problems.

One problem I had with the original Vamp's in Palladium is the originating class or O.C.C. abilities. My wife DESPERATELY wants to play her Burster character as a Vampire in my current Rifts Campaign. If I was to use the optional rules as set out in Rifter, would she keep her burster abilities? There's nothing saying she wouldn't. Personnaly I think it would be really interesting. Also, th age old question about D-Bee abilities. Do the Vamps in #49 keep them?

Yes their is a power which gives Vampires Psychic powers. BUT if you was Psychic before becoming a vampire, you get it for free. So YES, a Burster would keep their powers.
BUT Vampires have a innate weakness to Fire...so I would advise against making a vampire immune to fire. I'd actually make the ex-burster vulnerable to Fire now as a vampire.

I'll be keeping the old VI idea in Rifts for a little bit more, however I'll be making the "New" vampires as presented in Rifter the True Vampires in the world and they will be waging a war against the Old VI's and eventually force the imposters out and take over.

Also, the idea of age points I really liked. Though I would probably tie it in more with xp level and not age. Also, the costs of some abilities are way too expensive. Resist Religious Symbol and Swim in Running Water come to mind. Considering most players would be only able to play a "Secondary Vampire", gaining only 5 age points every century or level, the player could play a 15th level vampire and would still need to "live" for 2500 years before he could swim accross a small river. That's nuts! :shock:

I'm considering halving all costs, or increasing the age points to allow my players to actually get an ability or two during their characters entire play time...

Do what my group plans on doing. Have BOTH Kinds of Vampires.
V.I. has the standard Rifts Vampire your most likely to run into.
Then the Rarer V.L., the Cursed/Necromagic transformed Vampires from Rifter 49.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

Zenvis
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator

Unread post by Zenvis »

TechnoGothic wrote:Thank You Ed Woodward III. Thanks you and anyone who helped you to create your versions of Vampires for Palladium games. These are Vampires, real vampires.

You loved it too? It was absolutely awesome!!
Everything you can imagine is real. - Pablo Picasso
Imagination is more important than knowledge." but knowledge does help. - Albert Einstein
The gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge. - Albert Einstein
My Blog and My Other Blog
TechnoGothic
Knight

Heck yeah, the Rifter #49 Vampires are the best printed by pb yet, ;)
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

Zenvis
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator

Unread post by Zenvis »

TechnoGothic wrote:Heck yeah, the Rifter #49 Vampires are the best printed by pb yet, ;)

I would not go quite that far (I am still a bit bias about my work in the Rifter).
Everything you can imagine is real. - Pablo Picasso
Imagination is more important than knowledge." but knowledge does help. - Albert Einstein
The gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge. - Albert Einstein
My Blog and My Other Blog
dargo83
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by dargo83 »

how do the age points work
TechnoGothic
Knight

dargo83 wrote:how do the age points work

You gain Age Points in several ways.
100 years pass, gain age points.
Gain a Experiance Level gain Age Points.
Drink Blood from certain Supernatural beings, gain Age Points.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

Tricky
Wanderer

Unread post by Tricky »

I know they were meant to be used in Nightbane, but I think the new vamps would work quite well in BTS, possibly even better! Now you get vampires much like what you see in horror fiction; ageless creatures cursed to a hellish existance. A vampire lord with a nice stable of under vamps would give even Lazlo himself a run for his money.
Also, I think, if you planned on using them, you could even tweak one of several character classes into becoming a dedicated 'Vampire slayer'.
TechnoGothic
Knight

yep, VLs scream BtS horror goodness.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

MurderCityDisciple
Adventurer
Location: Formerly:Detroit, Michigan (West Side) Now in Dearborn: Which has 98.7% less arson.

Unread post by MurderCityDisciple »

TechnoGothic wrote:Heck yeah, the Rifter #49 Vampires are the best printed by pb yet, ;)

Yeah I used to frikken hate vampires, but now that there are no two alike, it makes it actually interesting to use them. Brilliant Rifter article!!

My NEW favorite npc is a 16 year old seeming metal head teenage girl stuck in 1986 created using Rifter #49. She's got the biker leather jacket, patch strewn jean vest with Judas Priest backpatch, tight jeans with machinegun bullet belt, Goodie comb sticking out of back pocket and a lot of 'tude.

Inspired by Marceline the Vampire Queen.
“It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful.” - Anton LaVey

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." - Voltaire

"The die is cast." - Julius Caesar [Ultimate Powergamer]
Kovoston
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by Kovoston »

Nice idea - Yeah I liked the Article as well!
:)
TechnoGothic
Knight

Yep, the Rifter#49 vampires beat the Rifts Vampires hands down.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

Gangrel44
D-Bee

At the risk of beating a dead horse on this thread I was wondering has anyone ever put out a custom character sheet for the Rifter 49 Vampires?
Gangrel44
D-Bee

Re: I still owe a character sheet

I'm just finishing some other characters and their sheets, but I have.

If you don't mind it being in Excel.[/quote]

Any chance you have if in pdf format?
robertbc73

Unread post by robertbc73 »

These "alternate" vampires, by any chance, like normal vampires or vampires from The World of Darkness?
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

Some have said they are like WoD but I don't know WoD to make the comparison. To me they come across as more "normal" vampires.

I use both version with the Vampire Intelligence as what it is, a godlike Alien Intelligence that creates 3 types of Vampires as followers/minions, and the Rifter 49 Vampires as "true" vampires since they are more of a "race" so to speak with much wider array of abilities available to them based on age.

I also have them essentially at war with each other while the rest of the world makes no distinction between the two and tries to kill all Vampires.

\m/
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

MurderCityDisciple wrote:a 16 year old seeming metal head teenage girl stuck in 1986 created using Rifter #49. She's got the biker leather jacket, patch strewn jean vest with Judas Priest backpatch, tight jeans with machinegun bullet belt, Goodie comb sticking out of back pocket and a lot of 'tude. Inspired by Marceline the Vampire Queen.
In b4 no conversions.

This kinda reminds me of the Dream Maker in Between the Shadows too.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
auyl
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by auyl »

I have to say that I was never a big fan of vampires in Nightbane but I just got Rifter #49 today and I have to say I love the new way vampires are worked out in here. I will use this info from now on in any Palladium game I run, might even reconsider my stance on them in Nightbane now.
Antimony
D-Bee

What are your takes on. . . ?

Unread post by Antimony »

What are people's thoughts on the vampirik of said Rifter, on page 67? Personally, I rather like it, and how it is keeping with the idea of "corpses can't have kids." Though I'm struggling to come up with a plausible reason on why the vampirik "grows" at the rate of normal children and just "stops ageing" at adulthood. (Though, for the unlife of me, I don't know why I want an explanation on that.)
:rose:
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

So Any ideas for Vampires,s npc using Rifter 49?
Antimony
D-Bee

Yes, many ideas for NPC's

Unread post by Antimony »

Yes, quite a few, with varied strains. One of my favorite is a vampire hunter Shade. She's not pretty and her powers are flanked by nothing, but she's as cunning as a cat (has to be, to survive).

On a side note, how do those who use Rifter 49 treat the Wampyr power of instinctively "knowing" a vampire's weaknesses, or a dhampir's ability of recognizing a vampire by sight and works? Personally, I've simply made the wampyr a "blanket" ability to know the difference between hearsay and legends on vampirism (stakes immobilize, not kill; dawn is the most effective time of day to drag a vampire into the light; some vampires can overcome various weaknesses, etc), rather than an individual, "Detect Weakness" power. ("I can tell just by looking at that vampire, garlic won't be as effective. And that other one with her can control minds, so be careful.")

Similarly, I've scaled back the dhampir 's awareness to the vampire, natural powers, and mind-controlled slaves and thralls. I haven't changed their ability to "sniff" vampires out.

Although, a cunning vampire might be able to exploit a weakness that seems inherent to me, if a wampyr and dhampir should cross paths: "I'm the greatest vampire hunter! Get out of my way!" "You? Ha! You can't even go out into daylight without turning into bacon! Stand aside!"

On the other side of that same note, I've made an Excel character sheet strictly for vampires.
:rose:
TechnoGothic
Knight

jaymz wrote:Some have said they are like WoD but I don't know WoD to make the comparison. To me they come across as more "normal" vampires.

Nothing like wod vampires at all.

I use both version with the Vampire Intelligence as what it is, a godlike Alien Intelligence that creates 3 types of Vampires as followers/minions, and the Rifter 49 Vampires as "true" vampires since they are more of a "race" so to speak with much wider array of abilities available to them based on age.

I also have them essentially at war with each other while the rest of the world makes no distinction between the two and tries to kill all Vampires.

I use both also.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

Return to “Nightbane®”