Crowd funding/kickstarting the next Open House

For discussion of the Palladium Open House, both past (May 2006 & May 2007) and possible future Open Houses. Who's going, games you're running or looking to play, etc.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Crowd funding/kickstarting the next Open House

Yes.
57%
No.
23%
Maybe.
20%

Total votes: 30

FatherMorpheus
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Rifts is a framework, if you don't like part of it don't use it.

Re: Crowd funding/kickstarting the next Open House

Unread post by FatherMorpheus »

Here is a Crowd sourced Convention Idea kind of like ours:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/da ... escription
Alpha 11
Palladin

Unread post by Alpha 11 »

FatherMorpheus wrote:Here is a Crowd sourced Convention Idea kind of like ours:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/da ... escription

Well, at least we aren't the only one to think this. And it looks like they got the money for it.
palladiumjunkie
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by palladiumjunkie »

Yep, there are a number of smaller conventions that have used Kickstarter to fund their convention. There are more, but these are just some of the more recent ones that I'm aware of off the top of my head. KantCon has grown large enough, that they have been able to start completely handling pre-reg via their own site the last few years, but they were using Kickstarter as far back as 2011. Pretty cool seeing a community come together to show their support for a con, and making sure that it happens. :)

KantCon 2011, 2012, and 2013.
Midwest GameFest 2015
Lexicon 2015, 2016
TsunamiCon 2014, 2015

So, it is definitely doable.

-Chris
"Quality takes time. Poop comes out multiple times a year." -MrNexx

"Choosing to house-rule in order to customize the game to your liking can be a beautiful thing.
But being forced to house-rule in order to make the game playable at all is not." - Killer Cyborg
Alpha 11
Palladin

palladiumjunkie wrote:Yep, there are a number of smaller conventions that have used Kickstarter to fund their convention. There are more, but these are just some of the more recent ones that I'm aware of off the top of my head. KantCon has grown large enough, that they have been able to start completely handling pre-reg via their own site the last few years, but they were using Kickstarter as far back as 2011. Pretty cool seeing a community come together to show their support for a con, and making sure that it happens. :)

KantCon 2011, 2012, and 2013.
Midwest GameFest 2015
Lexicon 2015, 2016
TsunamiCon 2014, 2015

So, it is definitely doable.

-Chris

Wow. Much more wide spread then I thought it was. Thanks for the info!
FatherMorpheus
Megaversal® Ambassador

I built a spreadsheet with all of these dumped into one spot so you can review how different groups did it.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Alpha 11
Palladin

FatherMorpheus wrote:I built a spreadsheet with all of these dumped into one spot so you can review how different groups did it.

:shock: Wow. Great job! :ok: BTW, I hope you know, but this will be a long rabbit hole. :twisted:
Scott Gibbons
Palladium Books® Staff

Unread post by Scott Gibbons »

FatherMorpheus wrote:I built a spreadsheet with all of these dumped into one spot so you can review how different groups did it.

Holy cow! Awesome work. This is a great tool for planning our own POH Kickstarter. Thanks FatherMorpheus!
A wise man once said, "Only a fool takes offense where none was intended." I repeat this good advice to myself at least once a day.

Calm, reasoned discourse is the best way to change minds; too bad all the calm & reason in the world can't open a willfully closed mind.
auyl
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by auyl »

Neat spreadsheet. Will definitely be useful. Hopefully the people at the Palladium office get on board with this. If people can be hired to help then it'll take a lot of pressure and time off of them.
Alpha 11
Palladin

auyl wrote:Neat spreadsheet. Will definitely be useful. Hopefully the people at the Palladium office get on board with this. If people can be hired to help then it'll take a lot of pressure and time off of them.

If this pans out and it goes forward, then hopefully Palladium won't have to lift a finger. And Involved Observer said he called and ask, and got an ok to look into this. BTW, FatherMorpheus, I asked Involved Observer, who as some experience with running things, to help if this goes forward, and he has agreed. You said you wanted to help, so maybe between the 3 of us, we can split it up to make it easier overall and start looking into it. I want to take this slow and easy, and make sure that this is possible to do. What are basics of getting this looked into to see if it is possible? Do we need to look at sites now? Start looking at finishing out the backer leaves? Which we have a good start at. Again, what are the basics?
zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

Happy to help as well.
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
Scott Gibbons
Palladium Books® Staff

Yeah, I spoke with Kevin himself, and he's definitely on-board with the idea, though he did want to make sure that we are looking at a 2017 or 2018 time frame for the next POH (I assured him we were).
A wise man once said, "Only a fool takes offense where none was intended." I repeat this good advice to myself at least once a day.

Calm, reasoned discourse is the best way to change minds; too bad all the calm & reason in the world can't open a willfully closed mind.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

I really hope they can finish their Robotech kickstarter by the time this one is ready to start, otherwise there's going to be a small group of very vocal people making the entire experience miserable.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
auyl
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by auyl »

2017 would be a good time frame. Gives just over a year to figure it out. I have a friend that runs a comicon up here in Canada, can ask her for advice.
FatherMorpheus
Megaversal® Ambassador

OK, so lets organize a conference call (I prefer Google Hangouts but can use Skype if needed, but can't do FaceTime) of those who are really interested.

I'll even bite the bullet and organize this first meeting.

For those who are really interested (IE Willing to commit a few hours a month for the next 12 to 18 months) please PM an email address so we can take this off forum and start to really get down to brass tax.

Please include the following:
Level of commitment (High, Medium, Low)
Contact Email
Preferred conference tool (Skype or Google Hangout)
Timezone
Preferred days/times for a call
Scott Gibbons
Palladium Books® Staff

When I talked with Kevin we discussed Alpha 11 and I (and anyone else interested) putting together a presentation for him (Kevin) to review sometime in late January or early February 2016 - just basic stuff like what dates we are aiming for with both the POH and the Kickstarter, what venue (either the PB warehouse or a convention hall), what dollar amount we'd aim to get on Kickstarter, potential stretch goals, and a basic outline of the contribution amounts and what each would get the contributor. Nothing solid or set in stone mind you, just a good basis for proceeding so that he can give us feedback on what he likes/doesn't like, or any potential problems that he might spot.

Glistam wrote:I really hope they can finish their Robotech kickstarter by the time this one is ready to start, otherwise there's going to be a small group of very vocal people making the entire experience miserable.

This was why Kevin wanted to make sure we weren't talking about trying to do it sooner - he wants to be sure that RRT's kickstarter is finished before we do any other.

FatherMorpheus wrote:OK, so lets organize a conference call (I prefer Google Hangouts but can use Skype if needed, but can't do FaceTime) of those who are really interested.

PM sent! I am highly interested and committed, but am pretty much booked solid until after Christmas. I'm sure I can squeeze in at least one conference call though. :D

As for the topic of the conference call - I would suggest first and foremost that we need to pick one person to be the overall "person in charge" (i.e. - handing out assignments and then following up with people to make sure they are accomplished, etc.). I have worked on many different projects, and the ones that most often failed were the ones that had a committee trying to lead; there are just too many competing priorities and chances for confusion and miscommunication. Or as the popular saying goes, "Too many chefs in the kitchen". After that's settled then we can start getting into the brass tacks.

Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

I will gladly be a backer once this goes, but I don't think I can commit to the backend of getting this off the ground, sorry.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
auyl
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by auyl »

I'd be interested for sure but not sure on practicality at this point. I'll let you folks know.
Alpha 11
Palladin

Best date for me would be on a Sat. Don't have a camera, so don't know what we can use. And PM sent.
auyl
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by auyl »

Sent a PM, will see what happens.
Alpha 11
Palladin

4 in all so far. This could really cut down the work for us all involved.
FatherMorpheus
Megaversal® Ambassador

Sorry I haven't sent out an email to everyone yet, work has been crazy busy this week.

I'll be doing over the weekend sometime so we can get the ball rolling.
Alpha 11
Palladin

FatherMorpheus wrote:Sorry I haven't sent out an email to everyone yet, work has been crazy busy this week.

I'll be doing over the weekend sometime so we can get the ball rolling.

Just give us plenty of time to say yes or no to it. That way we can find the right date for everyone.
zyanitevp
Champion

PM sent.
My Twitter
Image Image
zyanitevp
Champion

Involved Observer wrote:When I talked with Kevin we discussed Alpha 11 and I (and anyone else interested) putting together a presentation for him (Kevin) to review sometime in late January or early February 2016 - just basic stuff like what dates we are aiming for with both the POH and the Kickstarter, what venue (either the PB warehouse or a convention hall), what dollar amount we'd aim to get on Kickstarter, potential stretch goals, and a basic outline of the contribution amounts and what each would get the contributor. Nothing solid or set in stone mind you, just a good basis for proceeding so that he can give us feedback on what he likes/doesn't like, or any potential problems that he might spot.

Glistam wrote:I really hope they can finish their Robotech kickstarter by the time this one is ready to start, otherwise there's going to be a small group of very vocal people making the entire experience miserable.

This was why Kevin wanted to make sure we weren't talking about trying to do it sooner - he wants to be sure that RRT's kickstarter is finished before we do any other.

FatherMorpheus wrote:OK, so lets organize a conference call (I prefer Google Hangouts but can use Skype if needed, but can't do FaceTime) of those who are really interested.

PM sent! I am highly interested and committed, but am pretty much booked solid until after Christmas. I'm sure I can squeeze in at least one conference call though. :D

As for the topic of the conference call - I would suggest first and foremost that we need to pick one person to be the overall "person in charge" (i.e. - handing out assignments and then following up with people to make sure they are accomplished, etc.). I have worked on many different projects, and the ones that most often failed were the ones that had a committee trying to lead; there are just too many competing priorities and chances for confusion and miscommunication. Or as the popular saying goes, "Too many chefs in the kitchen". After that's settled then we can start getting into the brass tacks.

Absolutely agreed. Happy to do the gaming schedule again, but do not need to be the guy/girl in charge- just happy to help.
My Twitter
Image Image
auyl
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by auyl »

I've put a call out on the Megaversal Ambassador Forum to get them behind this. Zyanitevp really wants to be involved so if you could let the MA community be involved it'd be great!
Alpha 11
Palladin

Many hands make light work! So bring them all on!
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Not gonna lie, as much as I want a next POH, I also wanna enjoy it as a fan. I did say this year that I spent almost too much time playing and not enough chatting and if we were lucky enough to have another one I wouldnt play but just mingle!

But having said that, all the effrots count and we're Palladium fans so we are naturally kind, generous muthas (like those folks at PBs) so-

I dont mind offering my services in terms of a pledge - I could design and run a game based around the desires of a pledger. they can use their own PC (emailed to me prior) and ask for a game of XXXX based around action/mystery/role-playing/horror/combat/humour or whatever, set in XXXX.

Or something similar.

I had discussed doing a two or even three GM campaign over the course of the weekend. Maybe pledges get a special invite to certain games!....
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
FatherMorpheus
Megaversal® Ambassador

Update, work and holidays kicked me in the rear and screwed up my various side projects.

Will be getting back on track shortly. Sorry for delays in emails to everyone.
Alpha 11
Palladin

The Dark Elf wrote:Not gonna lie, as much as I want a next POH, I also wanna enjoy it as a fan. I did say this year that I spent almost too much time playing and not enough chatting and if we were lucky enough to have another one I wouldnt play but just mingle!

But having said that, all the effrots count and we're Palladium fans so we are naturally kind, generous muthas (like those folks at PBs) so-

I dont mind offering my services in terms of a pledge - I could design and run a game based around the desires of a pledger. they can use their own PC (emailed to me prior) and ask for a game of XXXX based around action/mystery/role-playing/horror/combat/humour or whatever, set in XXXX.

Or something similar.

I had discussed doing a two or even three GM campaign over the course of the weekend. Maybe pledges get a special invite to certain games!....

Didn't think of that for a pledge level or did we, been to long. But either way, I think we will include that into the pledge levels.

FatherMorpheus wrote:Update, work and holidays kicked me in the rear and screwed up my various side projects.

Will be getting back on track shortly. Sorry for delays in emails to everyone.

Can happen to anyone, so understandable.
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

How goes the project?
Alpha 11
Palladin

Spinachcat wrote:How goes the project?

We were going to try and have a meeting over the internet, but the holidays got in the way. We weren't really going to be able to do anything because of the holidays anyways. So no real set back. Once everything settles down, we should be able to start doing some things, sometime in Jan. or Feb. at the latest.
zyanitevp
Champion

Alpha 11 wrote:

We were going to try and have a meeting over the internet, but the holidays got in the way. We weren't really going to be able to do anything because of the holidays anyways. So no real set back. Once everything settles down, we should be able to start doing some things, sometime in Jan. or Feb. at the latest.

Please keep us posted. I would like to participate in the meeting.
My Twitter
Image Image
auyl
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by auyl »

Just give me lots of notice ahead of time. I have a day job that I have to go to so as long as it doesn't conflict with that I should be able to attend.
Alpha 11
Palladin

zyanitevp wrote:
Alpha 11 wrote:

Please keep us posted. I would like to participate in the meeting.

I believe FatherMorpheus was the one trying for the on line meeting. So just email him with your info, and you should then be in on it.

auyl wrote:Just give me lots of notice ahead of time. I have a day job that I have to go to so as long as it doesn't conflict with that I should be able to attend.

I think that we will all need a lot notice time. I know I will.
Murphy111
Newb

Unread post by Murphy111 »

I think this is very expense for a lot of people.
Murphy111
Newb

Unread post by Murphy111 »

I wouldn't want them to launch a 2016 KS too.
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

Here are several KS for game cons!

Apparently KS is good for launching gaming conventions. If you crazy kids are serious about this, it may be useful for SOMEONE (or more than one) to contact the organizers of these KS and see what worked and why they succeeded. Also, may be useful to read through comments to see how the final event went.

CURRENTLY HAPPENING
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/62 ... convention

SUCCESSFUL OLD KSes
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/73 ... ming-conve

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/da ... convention

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/80 ... escription

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/75 ... convention

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gx ... -geek-gami

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13 ... escription

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/97 ... nav_search
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

I would be willing to assist in the organizing of this event. (Which I think is a great idea by the way.)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Alpha 11
Palladin

Spinachcat wrote:Here are several KS for game cons!

Apparently KS is good for launching gaming conventions. If you crazy kids are serious about this, it may be useful for SOMEONE (or more than one) to contact the organizers of these KS and see what worked and why they succeeded. Also, may be useful to read through comments to see how the final event went.

CURRENTLY HAPPENING
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/62 ... convention

SUCCESSFUL OLD KSes
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/73 ... ming-conve

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/da ... convention

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/80 ... escription

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/75 ... convention

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gx ... -geek-gami

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13 ... escription

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/97 ... nav_search

Thanks for the links!

eliakon wrote:I would be willing to assist in the organizing of this event. (Which I think is a great idea by the way.)

Just send your contact info to FatherMorpheus. Someone should contact him to see what is up. To late to do it now for me. Need to go to bed soon.
FatherMorpheus
Megaversal® Ambassador

All, I have dropped the ball with the Holidays and catching up over this month.

I also have a local Convention which I'm planning (Launching our KS ~ 15 Jan 2016).

https://www.facebook.com/wagoncon

Goal for Palladium KS Convention will be to organize a meeting by end of this month. I'll be sending out an email shortly to those who have messaged their emails to me. So we can find a time for a Skype or Google Hangout.
Scott Gibbons
Palladium Books® Staff

Got your e-mail, reply has been sent! :-)

Alpha 11
Palladin

FatherMorpheus wrote:All, I have dropped the ball with the Holidays and catching up over this month.

I also have a local Convention which I'm planning (Launching our KS ~ 15 Jan 2016).

https://www.facebook.com/wagoncon

Goal for Palladium KS Convention will be to organize a meeting by end of this month. I'll be sending out an email shortly to those who have messaged their emails to me. So we can find a time for a Skype or Google Hangout.

Good luck with it!
Phaze
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator
Comment: Pirate Wisdom:
Rum is a journey, and a destination.

Unread post by Phaze »

Man, I really want another Open House! I'm craving a good get together.
I'll still enjoy watching you get blown off the table while you stare in helpless wonder at Phaze's marching legions of colored perfection. -- Godsgopher
FatherMorpheus
Megaversal® Ambassador

While progress is slow, we are still working towards doing this. Though, right now we are looking at 2018 for the next date.
Alpha 11
Palladin

Hopefully some things will start to come together starting next month.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

so how goes the organizing?
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Alpha 11
Palladin

glitterboy2098 wrote:so how goes the organizing?

Nothing right now. I tried getting to ball rolling a little earlier, but nothing happen. AND I keep forgetting to send out an email to ask about all this. But we still have a little time, so no need to panic. I guess everyone is just been really busy lately.
FatherMorpheus
Megaversal® Ambassador

Yes, life kicked a few of us in the ass and it got SUPER busy.

The first thing we voted on and decided was to have it in 2018, not 2017. With that year in mind, we will need to work backwards to create a timeline (gantt chart maybe) on what needs to be done when.
Alpha 11
Palladin

FatherMorpheus wrote:Yes, life kicked a few of us in the ass and it got SUPER busy.

The first thing we voted on and decided was to have it in 2018, not 2017. With that year in mind, we will need to work backwards to create a timeline (gantt chart maybe) on what needs to be done when.

Never thought of doing it that way. Sounds like a good ideal.
FatherMorpheus
Megaversal® Ambassador

Alpha 11 wrote:Never thought of doing it that way. Sounds like a good ideal.

It is a Program Manager tool that can help sometimes.

Return to “Palladium Open House”