GMing the one-shot: what level?

For discussion of the Palladium Open House, both past (May 2006 & May 2007) and possible future Open Houses. Who's going, games you're running or looking to play, etc.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

dpenwood
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Life is like a potato; sometimes it's brown, but sometimes it's green.

GMing the one-shot: what level?

Unread post by dpenwood »

As I mentioned in another post, I've never GM'd at an event/convention, but I'm looking forward to doing so at POH 2012 (assuming they approve my application/request).

I already have a one-shot planned, and am planning another.

I have a quick question: are one-shots typically run at 1st level? Or can (should?) they be run as a higher level game? I can see advantages and disadvantages either way.

Just wondering what peoples' thoughts are...

Thanks!
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Re: GMing the one-shot: what level?

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Im planning my pre gens at around lvl 4-6 but it depends on the audience and what you're hoping to achieve.

At the POH most are vets who'll want to utilise more than the basics I'd have thought.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Josh Sinsapaugh
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

Most of my pregens typically fall in the level 3-6 range. But like the Dark Elf noted it depends on what type of game you're going to run. If I was, for example, to run a game that involved grizzled and aging Coalition war veterans working through their "retirement" as ISS Cops in the 'Burbs I would make the levels of the pregens 7-10 (or maybe a little higher). If I was, instead, going to run a game involving new recruits in the Coalition Army sent to guard an outpost in West Podunk then I would set the levels as 1-3.

It's also worth noting that do not set all pregens at the same level. So while you may end up with a character that is level 4 while the guy from Spokane sitting next to you has a character that is level 3. I actually find that important as the level of a character can be integral to setting the right feel and (perceived) back story of the character.

Example: Lars Rancid is a City Rat that survived to 32 and yet is only 4th level. Pairing the character to the stats and I can say that Lars is good at avoiding trouble, but is lazy and a bit of a coward.

~ Josh
Carl Gleba
Comment: Lord of Chaos!

Unread post by Carl Gleba »

I'll echo what everyone else said, it's really up to you. I've had pre-gens that were 3rd to 4th level for one game, 8th to 10th for another and to mix things up I had the group playing a demon hit squad from hades where they actually played demons with varying levels. When you design your game make the challenge appropriate to the level of the group.
ImageImage
Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: What is genius? A Victim OCC (BtS 1st ed, p. 193 ss)! The ultimate hero is a victim conquering adversity.

Unread post by Hendrik »

Hi there, dpenwood,

dpenwood wrote:are one-shots typically run at 1st level? Or can (should?) they be run as a higher level game? I can see advantages and disadvantages either way.

There is, I guess, no general rule or best practice. It boils down to a matter of taste.

I think what matters most and IMVHO should be the guiding factors are: (i) what you feel comfortable with and (ii) what is necessary to enjoy the scenario you choose. As has been said, some adventures may need or cry out for high power, others may actually be (much) more enjoyable if the player characters are less experienced. Personally, I think that the latter can be more satisfying as in "try to solve that with this". Also, I feel that lower power lends itself well to horror scenarios.

Further, the megaversial system gives pretty well rounded characters right from creation, and allows for loads of toys (could be magic items, power armour etc.) that level the playing field a bit for lower level characters - and can be extremely rewarding for the players if they have to earn those gadgets.

Finally, it is not only vets who play but also beginners, there were several last OH, who will have an easier time when they do not have to read through x pages to understand their character's powers in the first place.

Cheers
Hendrik
Handouts for Operation Minotaur (BtS Adventure published in RIFTER #83) Get them at the fabulous "House of BtS"![/quote]

May all your hits be crits!
dpenwood
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Life is like a potato; sometimes it's brown, but sometimes it's green.

Unread post by dpenwood »

I appreciate the feedback you have all provided. It sounds like most people agree that it's really up to me. I like the suggestion of having varying levels instead of everyone being at the same level.

I'm getting very excited about the POH this year. I can't wait to run my one-shot (assuming my GM application is approved. How long does it typically take them to respond, btw?)
Carl Gleba
Comment: Lord of Chaos!

Unread post by Carl Gleba »

dpenwood wrote:I appreciate the feedback you have all provided. It sounds like most people agree that it's really up to me. I like the suggestion of having varying levels instead of everyone being at the same level.

I'm getting very excited about the POH this year. I can't wait to run my one-shot (assuming my GM application is approved. How long does it typically take them to respond, btw?)

I would say your as good as in. There is no formal approval process that i know of. It is simply volunteers that Palladium is looking for and if you volunteered your in. If you have not done so already you'll have to say roughly when you want to run your game and how long it is. Then Wayne will start working on the schedule and all you'll need to know is what table you have and the time. The schedule should be done a few days before the POH. It has been posted online in the past, but is also posted at the POH as well.

Carl
ImageImage
The Galactus Kid
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

My pregens range from 3-8 depending on the character.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

I suggest lower level characters for con games. The more advanced the character, the more "stuff" they have on character sheets. This is especially noted for psi and mage characters. The more "stuff" on the character sheet, the more time you will need to explain the characters and their various powers to the players.

Time isn't your friend at conventions.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

I have lowered mine to virtually all lvl 4 btw.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited

Return to “Palladium Open House”