So who's with me on not staying in the crappy hotel this yea

For discussion of the Palladium Open House, both past (May 2006 & May 2007) and possible future Open Houses. Who's going, games you're running or looking to play, etc.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

So who's with me on not staying in the crappy hotel this yea

Unread post by rat_bastard »

Every year we have stayed at the hotel its been a godawful craphole, They've sold us "double rooms" that where a dirty bed and a fold out couch (a horrible saggy mattress with a metal bar in the middle.). And lets face it, 70$ a night is not that cheap, the "continental breakfast" is depressing and honestly its about as comfortable as a pile of dead cats.

I say screw that horrible joke of a hotel and lets find another place to recover from the epic bout of drinking and debauch- er, I mean gaming that is that crapstick of a hotel.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
Kovoston
Rifter® Contributer

Re: So who's with me on not staying in the crappy hotel this yea

Unread post by Kovoston »

(Smiles) That would be you asking that question Rat Bastard! What other alternative do they have??
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Kovoston wrote:(Smiles) That would be you asking that question Rat Bastard! What other alternative do they have??

Literally any other hotel within a 20 mile radius of the OH, but I am looking at other options. I want something close to the convention hotel because thats where the gaming room is but I don't want to sleep in that crap shack ever again.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

When you book your room, ask to speak to the manager. Tell them about your previous experience and tell them your dilemma. Of course you'd love to stay with the whole OH crew, but you need to have a better hotel experience to justify the cost. If the manager has any sense, they will try to book you in their nicest room. If they can't book you for a specific room this far out, they will do something to ensure your business. It's a recession, they need us.

So few people actually ask for stuff. People complain, usually after they get home, but rarely do they make up-front demands. I learned it works years ago and now I am a total . . . what do they call it . . . uh, I think I remember. . . oh yeah, a total rat bastard! :)

If you don't feel comfortable asking for stuff, just tell them you have a mold allergy and back problems and you need their assurance that the room they put you in will be very clean and the bed will be firm.

Oh and if anyone is flying, ask for a kosher meal. All airlines offer special meals, but its usually unwritten, and special meals are usually not mass-prepared and fresher.
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Spinachcat wrote:When you book your room, ask to speak to the manager. Tell them about your previous experience and tell them your dilemma. Of course you'd love to stay with the whole OH crew, but you need to have a better hotel experience to justify the cost. If the manager has any sense, they will try to book you in their nicest room. If they can't book you for a specific room this far out, they will do something to ensure your business. It's a recession, they need us.

So few people actually ask for stuff. People complain, usually after they get home, but rarely do they make up-front demands. I learned it works years ago and now I am a total . . . what do they call it . . . uh, I think I remember. . . oh yeah, a total rat bastard! :)

If you don't feel comfortable asking for stuff, just tell them you have a mold allergy and back problems and you need their assurance that the room they put you in will be very clean and the bed will be firm.

Oh and if anyone is flying, ask for a kosher meal. All airlines offer special meals, but its usually unwritten, and special meals are usually not mass-prepared and fresher.

Well said
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Armorlord
Hero

Unread post by Armorlord »

Gotta say, I never had an issue with the hotel and the staff was very friendly and accommodating when it came to us roaming the halls and extended use of the meeting rooms.
Reminds me that I had intended to call their corporate number and complement the service there after last time, I think I forgot to.
Talking to you is sort of the conversational equivalent of an out-of-body experience. -Susie (Calvin and Hobbes)
It's not impossible, it's just really unfair. :( -Trance Gemini (Andromeda)
Tarnow and Romanov: Neighbors!

Politeness is not a shield, and criticism is not a sword to swing repeatedly.
Carl Gleba
Comment: Lord of Chaos!

Unread post by Carl Gleba »

I've stayed in numerous hotels and the Palladium hotel is not bad. The rooms were pretty quiet, my room was clean and cleaned daily. The breakfast is what I have come to expect. It's not a full continental breakfast, but what is provided is enough to fill. I'll stay their again.
ImageImage
mumah
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist
Comment: Attacking gazeebos since 1883!

Unread post by mumah »

I've found the people working there to be lovely and understanding, particularly the night staff. For $60 I see no need to expect the moon. Besides, ever stayed in a LaQuinta? Yeeach.
"I remember your work." -Amy "The Unicorn" Ashbaugh
"What a talented schmoe." -Brian Manning
"Someday I'll be half as cool as Mumah." -Brian Manning
"Apollo Okamura drove here across the Atlantic from Japan." -Sarah Aten
BIBBI
Wanderer
Comment: "are you familiar with the chain of command? its the one I go and beat you with until you listen to me"
- Jayne

Unread post by BIBBI »

so what exactly is this hotel called, and how far is it from the actual open house?
mumah

Unread post by mumah »

It's a Comfort Inn, and it's about a mile, mile and a half from the OH.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

I didnt like the breakfast but I thought the hotel was really nice!
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
BIBBI
Wanderer
Comment: "are you familiar with the chain of command? its the one I go and beat you with until you listen to me"
- Jayne

Unread post by BIBBI »

and what city is this going on in?
mumah

Unread post by mumah »

Westland, MI. Part of the Greater Metro Detroit area.
Carl Gleba
Comment: Lord of Chaos!

Unread post by Carl Gleba »

To save everyone trouble here is the link: Comfort Inn Westland
ImageImage
Jorel
Champion
Comment: I'm a Derrik, Derriks don't run.

Unread post by Jorel »

I don't recall spending more than a moments time in my room. However, I do recall some decent moments in Rat's room. No one was sleeping, and a bed would have hampered the people chillin on the couch. Thanks for the beers. Sleep is over rated. I think we stayed in the Red Roof the first night. Galactus and Josh came back there for a moment. It was a few bucks cheaper, and I think it was actually worse than the Comfort. Again I don't really recall. I remember the gaming, not the sleeping. Actually we had an extra bed at the Comfort, not a fold out couch. Maybe Ratty should have planned better, got to the hotel earlier, hired a chef to cook him breakfast. Any of those things would have made his experience better. His room was more centrally located. Mine was out towards the end of a wing.
Customer Service Director for Northern Gun

"The Devil's among us!
Stay back boy!...This calls for Divine Intervention!
I kick arse for the Lord!"
-Father McGruder- Braindead (a.k.a. Dead Alive)
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

I am surprised Rat Bastard even remembers going on a trip, let alone the hotel he stayed in....

:bandit:
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Spinachcat
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Spinachcat »

It is important for the hotel to get your feedback - good or bad - even a year later. If possible, give them your room number when you tell them the good/bad news.

Armorlord wrote:Reminds me that I had intended to call their corporate number and complement the service there after last time, I think I forgot to.

Definitely do this. Try to get the compliment as high up the chain of command as possible, and let them know we are coming back...and hope to do this every year in the future.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

So I am debating on one of the nearby Airport Hotels (surprisingly nice for the price) that gets three stars, is less than 50$ a night and is 20 minutes from the OH. I'm not really planning on doing much night gaming so the 25 bucks a night to sleep in a god awful room is not necessarily.
Jorel
Champion
Comment: I'm a Derrik, Derriks don't run.

Unread post by Jorel »

rat_bastard wrote:So I am debating on one of the nearby Airport Hotels (surprisingly nice for the price) that gets three stars, is less than 50$ a night and is 20 minutes from the OH. I'm not really planning on doing much night gaming so the 25 bucks a night to sleep in a god awful room is not necessarily.

Looks like someone else will have to host a drinkin party in the gaming hotel.
Customer Service Director for Northern Gun

"The Devil's among us!
Stay back boy!...This calls for Divine Intervention!
I kick arse for the Lord!"
-Father McGruder- Braindead (a.k.a. Dead Alive)
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Yes, I'll ask around.

Return to “Palladium Open House”