Rifts Art Contest

For discussion of the Palladium Open House, both past (May 2006 & May 2007) and possible future Open Houses. Who's going, games you're running or looking to play, etc.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

AlexM
Palladium Books® Staff

Rifts Art Contest

Unread post by AlexM »

I got a phone call asking about this.

Enter the Rifts® Art Contest
There will be two categories: color cover art and black and white interior art.

The winner in the color art category will see his/her art used as the cover of the next issue of The Rifter® or a future Rifts® supplement. The winner of the black and white (grey tones okay) category will see his/her art appear inside the next issue of The Rifter® or a future Rifts® supplement.

Furthermore, the art from ALL contestants will be considered for possible use in future issues of The Rifter® and Rifts® sourcebooks. This contest will be open to professional artists, semi-professional artists and non-professional (previously unpublished) artists. So if you are a Rifts fan and an artist with a dream, you WILL want to submit your work. Start thinking up ideas. Multiple entries or entries in both categories “is” allowed.

More details are likely to come, but here are some of the basics:

- Two categories: 1. Color Cover art. 2. Full Page Black and White Illustration.

- Subject Matter: RIFTS®. We want artwork that screams Rifts® to celebrate the Rifts® RPG turning 20 years old.

- Deadline: All entries must be submitted to Palladium Books NO LATER than March 28, 2010; sooner is better.

- What to send: Submit a digital file and quality proof of the “finished” art - or - the original artwork (please insure originals) to: Palladium Books, Contest A, 39074 Webb Court, Westland, MI 48185.

- Determining the Winners: The art of all contestants will be displayed at the 2010 Palladium Open House, where a winner and two runners up will be selected. Those in attendance will vote for their favorites. Fan votes will count for 50% in picking a winner, 30% will come from Palladium artists and staff, and 20% of the vote will come from me, Kevin Siembieda, Publisher.

- Art submissions are copyrighted and owned by Palladium Books: All submission are “derivative” of Palladium’s copyrighted intellectual properties. Any art we publish will get the artist paid.

- Agreement: The artists entering will need to sign and return an agreement sent to them to be considered.

What the Winners Get: The winning artwork will get published in either the next issue of The Rifter® - or - an upcoming Rifts supplement! And get paid for. There are going to be at least two categories: Rifts® Color Cover (leave space at the top for a title/logo) and Black and White Full Page Illustration, but we might add more once we see the artwork submitted. Furthermore, we may consider using OTHER contestants’ artwork in future issues of The Rifter® and/or Rifts® sourcebooks. For any art we publish from this contest, the artist will get paid, and get full credit inside the book, plus several free copies of the book his art appears in. (All winners of this contest will get paid the low end of Palladium’s payment scale.)

It ain’t American Idol or So You Think You Can Dance, but this could be your shot at breaking in to the RPG business at Palladium Books. Start drawing this weekend.

Alex Marciniszyn
Uncle Servo
Champion

Re: Rifts Art Contest

Unread post by Uncle Servo »

AlexM wrote:- Agreement: The artists entering will need to sign and return an agreement sent to them to be considered.

Is this the standard unsolicited submission agreement or something special? If it's something special, then where can I download it?

Does the agreement need to be submitted along with the artwork itself, or does it need to be submitted in advance?

Will the submission be acknowledged upon receipt? The reason I ask is because I sent two packets off to PB last month (one Rifter and one general "I want to illustrate; here's a link to my sample set") and have yet to hear so much as a standard form-letter acknowledgement.

Thanks!
Eric/UncS

Yes, I am interested in this contest. How could you tell?
My Artwork Samples Set on Deviant Art
Hi! I'm Danger, but today I'll be Uncle Servo's Sock Puppet. -- Danger
US <Uncle> saves the day again. -- RockJock
And Servo has engineered another good idea. -- Sentinel
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Uncle Servo wrote:
AlexM wrote:- Agreement: The artists entering will need to sign and return an agreement sent to them to be considered.

Is this the standard unsolicited submission agreement or something special? If it's something special, then where can I download it?

Does the agreement need to be submitted along with the artwork itself, or does it need to be submitted in advance?

Will the submission be acknowledged upon receipt? The reason I ask is because I sent two packets off to PB last month (one Rifter and one general "I want to illustrate; here's a link to my sample set") and have yet to hear so much as a standard form-letter acknowledgement.

Thanks!
Eric/UncS

They may have just not gotten to it yet with the load of work being done on Dimensional Outbreak.

BTW, if it's any consolation, I likeyour art. It reminds me a lot of some of the Kevin Long stuff from early Rifts books (he's a fan favorite so take this as a compliment). Some of the ship art makes me think that you would be good for some things I have planned for a Rifter article on the New Luftwaffe once Triax 2 comes out. Maybe if you did a couple pieces based on the text I write and submit them with the rifter article, that could be a good way to get a foot in the door.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Uncle Servo
Champion

Unread post by Uncle Servo »

The Galactus Kid wrote:They may have just not gotten to it yet with the load of work being done on Dimensional Outbreak.

BTW, if it's any consolation, I like your art. It reminds me a lot of some of the Kevin Long stuff from early Rifts books (he's a fan favorite so take this as a compliment). Some of the ship art makes me think that you would be good for some things I have planned for a Rifter article on the New Luftwaffe once Triax 2 comes out. Maybe if you did a couple pieces based on the text I write and submit them with the rifter article, that could be a good way to get a foot in the door.

Wow, that's high praise indeed. Thanks for the kind words dude! :D

Kevin Long is one of my favorites as well... although I also like many of the other artists who have done work for Palladium over the years.

I'd definitely be interested in doing a couple of New Luftwaffe pics (the concept is most intriguing as I sometimes look to WWII German designs for inspiration). PM or YIM me when you're ready to discuss.
My Artwork Samples Set on Deviant Art
Hi! I'm Danger, but today I'll be Uncle Servo's Sock Puppet. -- Danger
US <Uncle> saves the day again. -- RockJock
And Servo has engineered another good idea. -- Sentinel
AlexM
Palladium Books® Staff

Unread post by AlexM »

Just send your art in. You can use the standard Unsolicited Artwork and Manuscript Aggreement.

Alex Marciniszyn
Augur
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Creator of the best PBP sites online: Explorers Unlimited & Savage Rifts

Unread post by Augur »

Uncle Servo wrote:

Thanks!
Eric/UncS

Yeah, no kidding Servo.
If Palladium wants to develop a body of active, talented freelance writers they seriously need to work on their communication skills.

Even my dipstick Congressional Representative has enough sense to at least send a form letter blowing me off.
ImageImageImage
Carl Gleba
Comment: Lord of Chaos!

Unread post by Carl Gleba »

Yeah who won?
ImageImage
MADMANMIKE
Comment: The Emolancer

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

veritech-z wrote:http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m52/veritech-z/riftsArt/crazyVsCyborg.png

I can't speak with confidence, but from my last count on Sunday, this was in the lead for top B&W.

-Mike <8]
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
MADMANMIKE
Comment: The Emolancer

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

veritech-z wrote:Sweet! So how did they handle the voting? Walk by and put something in a box, show of hands, that kind of thing?

Walk by and put a hash mark on the form below the image you think is best.

-Mike <8]
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
AlexM
Palladium Books® Staff

Unread post by AlexM »

We just finished the judging today. The way it worked was, everyone at the Open House could vote on whatever they liked: one black & white and one color. Then, after we recuperated, staff voted today. Kevin will post the results in Friday's Press Release. You will be contacted.

Being there for the Open House cost us about a week of work that we had to catch up on, along with a little rest.

Alex Marciniszyn
Scott Gibbons
Palladium Books® Staff

Unread post by Scott Gibbons »

Congrats!
A wise man once said, "Only a fool takes offense where none was intended." I repeat this good advice to myself at least once a day.

Calm, reasoned discourse is the best way to change minds; too bad all the calm & reason in the world can't open a willfully closed mind.
Jorel
Champion
Comment: I'm a Derrik, Derriks don't run.

Unread post by Jorel »

SirJosephB wrote::-o Woohoo! Runner up!

Good job. Kevin's murmur sounds like runner up might be just as good as winner.
Customer Service Director for Northern Gun

"The Devil's among us!
Stay back boy!...This calls for Divine Intervention!
I kick arse for the Lord!"
-Father McGruder- Braindead (a.k.a. Dead Alive)

Return to “Palladium Open House”