Where do Changeling come from?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Re: Where do Changeling come from?

Unread post by Library Ogre »

http://www.editors-wastebasket.org/nexx ... eling.html

I thought about this a few years ago. Not officially, but it's what I can conclude.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
NovenTheHero
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by NovenTheHero »

I always assumed that 2 changleings would know when a person is a changeling or not (kind of like Nightbane being able to sense each other). They each choose a sex and then mate...out comes a baby changeling that is quite fragile and vulnerable until it learns to change shape. The parents better either live in an accepting place or move somewhere that they can be alone and raise a little one.
My Forums
Image Image
My 5 gallon batch of Traditional Mead and my 5 1 gallon batches of Melomel (Blueberry, Strawberry, Peach, Stawberry-Peach, and Mixed Berry)
Northern Ranger
Hero
Comment: Twenty year player of PF.
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Unread post by Northern Ranger »

I read the article Mark and I'd have to agree in part. I've always said that a changeling changes sex and appearance to mate with a member of any race it might find attractive and the offspring, by and large, is a changeling. This is why the race is dying off, because their bloodlines are thinning more with each generation. It is also why Changelings today are perhaps not as powerful as changelings of thousands of years ago. The more their blood is diluted with the blood of non-changelings, the less of their shape shifting abilities they have.

(I've ruled in my own games that your own Chageling Metamorphs must come from parents who are both changelings.)
This world is far too small not to want to see it all, but life is far too short to allow that to happen. - Falcon, Ranger (My primary hero in PFRPG setting)

"Unhand me you slobbering son of an Orcish whore!" - Ariana Moonstone, Palladin (Another primary character of mine.)

"Bastard!" War cry of Strut, Barbarian Mercenary. (That's for you James!)

300 Geek Points (So Far)
Maddog
D-Bee

Unread post by Maddog »

I don't know if I agree with Nexx's opinion, but the writing sure is good. Now I'm eager to see his MoM in print!

Changelings, ( Summoner-Wizards in particular! ) have always been a favorite of mine and I've played a few. I always assumed that they would/could only propagate with another Changeling. PFRPG has no half-races (the 'half-ogre' is always considered an ogre) so why would Changelings be able to breed with the other Races? Why would a race whose survival depends on secrecy breed with outsiders? Wouldn't the partner find out?

I also remember the fantastic Elemental Island (name?) adventure from High Seas 1st Ed. There may have been something about Changeling propagation in the adventure, as there were Changeling children in the story. I don't have the book at hand now, and It's been a few years since I had it out so......
" God is on the side with the heavyist battalions"
-Voltaire
Natasha
Champion
Comment: Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication.

Unread post by Natasha »

NovenTheHero wrote:I always assumed that 2 changleings would know when a person is a changeling or not (kind of like Nightbane being able to sense each other). They each choose a sex and then mate...out comes a baby changeling that is quite fragile and vulnerable until it learns to change shape. The parents better either live in an accepting place or move somewhere that they can be alone and raise a little one.
Such as in the Yin-Sloth Jungles. :)

The only changeling I ever played came from there.

It's cool because, really, the race could be thriving and nobody knows it.
Library Ogre

Northern Ranger wrote:I read the article Mark and I'd have to agree in part. I've always said that a changeling changes sex and appearance to mate with a member of any race it might find attractive and the offspring, by and large, is a changeling. This is why the race is dying off, because their bloodlines are thinning more with each generation. It is also why Changelings today are perhaps not as powerful as changelings of thousands of years ago. The more their blood is diluted with the blood of non-changelings, the less of their shape shifting abilities they have.

(I've ruled in my own games that your own Chageling Metamorphs must come from parents who are both changelings.)

My problem with that is "What is the result of changeling blood thinning?" What happens when it thins sufficiently, if thinning is resulting in less able changelings, and birth usually a changeling?

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
Northern Ranger
Hero
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

A valid point, as usual. I didn't say it was a perfect theory, lol. But I would imagine after a while they just wouldn't be considered changelings anymore. I know, that's lame, cause then how would you explain that they still have some minimal shapeshifting ability? But really, who's to say changeling blood that's been weakened that much can even retain that ability? Or maybe they just haven't ever been properly trained in it's use. Who knows? The possibilities are pretty much endless.
This world is far too small not to want to see it all, but life is far too short to allow that to happen. - Falcon, Ranger (My primary hero in PFRPG setting)

"Unhand me you slobbering son of an Orcish whore!" - Ariana Moonstone, Palladin (Another primary character of mine.)

300 Geek Points (So Far)
Probitas

Unread post by Probitas »

Pick up Island at the Edge of the World, there is some history for the race, as well as some ideas for Changeling society past and present, mental makeup, why they are the way they are, and why everyone blames them for all the worlds evils, right after they blame the Old Ones.

Biologically, interspecies mating seems impossible IMHO, except in very narrow instances like Elf/Human due to similarities (and perhaps pointing out a biological connection and relationship between elves and humans). Changelings have a very distinct biology, being supernatural in origin, so I do not think any half-changelings are possible. I suppose you could make a case for mating due to the mimicing of species, except that the offspring is entirely one race or the other, as the birth parent could choose to have either a changeling child or an 'ordinary' one.
Library Ogre

There are no fertile human-elf pairings without major magic.

Human/ogre produces ogres (though on the runty end)

All Palladium Articles
Probitas

My bad, I had the D&D 4e running through my head at the time.
Library Ogre

Probitas wrote:My bad, I had the D&D 4e running through my head at the time.

May I suggest a disinfectant? ;-)

All Palladium Articles
Northern Ranger
Hero
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Mark Hall wrote:

Oooohhhh, that'll leave a mark! :lol:

300 Geek Points (So Far)
Probitas

Northern Ranger wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:

Oooohhhh, that'll leave a mark! :lol:

Nah, I'll just pretend it's not there, and it will go away. 8-)
bradshaw
Palladium Books® Freelance Artist
Comment: Gin and Tonic

Unread post by bradshaw »

May I suggest a disinfectant? ;-)[/quote]

Oooohhhh, that'll leave a mark! :lol:[/quote]

Nah, I'll just pretend it's not there, and it will go away. 8-)[/quote]
Worked for my last girlfreind 8-)
Dames, Droids, Drinking and Damnnation
victor15065
Wanderer

Unread post by victor15065 »

I think they are delivered by a stork a drunk stork lol
No JC I think they reproduce asexually no proof but its the eaisy way to explain how they so it secretly
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Brraaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnzzzzzzzzz
Its ALIVE
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

*shoots for the head.*
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”