A new skill for you to digest.

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Northern Ranger
Hero
Comment: Twenty year player of PF.
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

A new skill for you to digest.

Unread post by Northern Ranger »

All right, y'all. Tell me what you think. (I was inspired by a certain new video game that hit the market! :-D )

Free Running- This skill is becoming quite the rage, especially for rogues but also for gladiators, due to it being rather entertaining to watch. Basically, a person skilled in free running is trained to cover a particular distance from point A to point B without letting obstacles get in their way. For example, crossing a city using nothing but rooftops, or swinging from flagpoles and the like. I would not be unusual for a free runner to be seen running right up the side of a building then flipping off of it backward, or catching a low hanging ledge and continuing to climb, almost like a spider. Free runners are very good and climbing seemingly sheer surfaces using only the slightest of hand and toe holds, frequently hanging by nothing but their fingertips.
Prerequisite- Running and one of the other following skills, Acrobatics, Gymnastics or Tumbling.
Skill Bonuses- +1 to PS, +1 to PP, +1 to PE, +1d8 to SDC, +10 to SPD. Also, free runners gain a bonus of +10% to climb/rappel and sense of balance.
Skill Percentage- Due to the difficulty of this talent, a percentile check is required for every fifty yards the character runs. This skill starts at 12% and increases at a rate of 4% per level of experience. (Note: This skill should be counted among physical skills and only be available to entertainers and men-at-arms OCC’s.)
This world is far too small not to want to see it all, but life is far too short to allow that to happen. - Falcon, Ranger (My primary hero in PFRPG setting)

"Unhand me you slobbering son of an Orcish whore!" - Ariana Moonstone, Palladin (Another primary character of mine.)

"Bastard!" War cry of Strut, Barbarian Mercenary. (That's for you James!)

300 Geek Points (So Far)
sasha
Adventurer

Unread post by sasha »

I've seen videos of these guys in real life; at least it sounds like what I have been watching.

I would cut out the 'skill bonuses' myself.

I would do a skill check at each difficult attempt than rather by distance covered.
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, wouldn't that just be covered by someone having a combination of athletics and gymnastics? I'm not sure that is a seperate skill. It seems more to me like a use of other skills.

-Vek
"It sure looks cool, though."
sasha
Adventurer

Unread post by sasha »

It's not gymnastics, strictly speaking; I suggested removing the skill bonuses, since the character is getting bonuses from the prereq of gymnastics.
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, I know it's not gymnastics. What I was saying is it's a combination of gymnastics and running/athletics. I was just saying it didn't seem to warrant its own skill.

-Vek
"Valet Parkour"
Northern Ranger
Hero
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

And yet, on the same note, there are a lot of skills actually published in the PF books that could be considered redundant, giving skills and bonuses that are covered by other skills, and yet they still saw publication. And I think if you were to ask a practitioner of Free Running, they would say that their sport is very different from Acrobatics, Gymnastics or Tumbling. (Even if we don't necessarily think it is. It's all a matter of perception, really.) And of course, this skill wouldn't be for everyone, but some people like it. If it works for you, use it. If it doesn't, don't. You won't (and can't) hurt my feelings either way. But thank you all for your feedback, I take all suggestions to heart, even the ones I don't agree with. It's criticism that makes a writer better, and I want to get better.
This world is far too small not to want to see it all, but life is far too short to allow that to happen. - Falcon, Ranger (My primary hero in PFRPG setting)

"Unhand me you slobbering son of an Orcish whore!" - Ariana Moonstone, Palladin (Another primary character of mine.)

300 Geek Points (So Far)
sasha
Adventurer

Unread post by sasha »

Veknironth wrote:Well, I know it's not gymnastics. What I was saying is it's a combination of gymnastics and running/athletics. I was just saying it didn't seem to warrant its own skill.

-Vek
"Valet Parkour"

I understood as much. I see it like this: as it is neither skill, it is a skill that should be practiced on its own.

As for its own O.C.C., I can see that; High Seas has some model O.C.C.s to start with.
Northern Ranger
Hero
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Mephisto wrote:
Northern Ranger wrote:And yet, on the same note, there are a lot of skills actually published in the PF books that could be considered redundant, giving skills and bonuses that are covered by other skills, and yet they still saw publication. And I think if you were to ask a practitioner of Free Running, they would say that their sport is very different from Acrobatics, Gymnastics or Tumbling. (Even if we don't necessarily think it is. It's all a matter of perception, really.) And of course, this skill wouldn't be for everyone, but some people like it. If it works for you, use it. If it doesn't, don't. You won't (and can't) hurt my feelings either way. But thank you all for your feedback, I take all suggestions to heart, even the ones I don't agree with. It's criticism that makes a writer better, and I want to get better.

Why not develop the Free Runner O.C.C.?

Yeah... uhm... why didn't I think of that? :oops:
Great idea Mephisto! (Back to the drawing board. More to come folks, stay tuned!)

300 Geek Points (So Far)
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

I like this skill, personally. The bonuses are not really too much if too many other physical skills are not taken also, but if they are, the thief has earned being that good.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Northern Ranger
Hero
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Hey, thanks. I was thinking the same thing. But I do like the idea of making a Free Runner OCC. I just haven't gotten that far yet. (Too much going on in real life right now.) But hey, any idea what class this would fall under? I'm thinking it would be a rogue OCC, like thief or assassin. But maybe it could qualify as Entertainer too. What do you all think?

300 Geek Points (So Far)
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

I would go the thief route. An assassin would not draw the attention the freerunner would running across rooftops.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Northern Ranger
Hero
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Stone Gargoyle wrote:I would go the thief route. An assassin would not draw the attention the freerunner would running across rooftops.

You seen the game Assassin's Creed yet? It's about an assassin that utilizes free running to get away from the city guards, because none of them are skilled enough to catch him. It actually works really well. You should check it out.

300 Geek Points (So Far)
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Northern Ranger wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:I would go the thief route. An assassin would not draw the attention the freerunner would running across rooftops.

You seen the game Assassin's Creed yet? It's about an assassin that utilizes free running to get away from the city guards, because none of them are skilled enough to catch him. It actually works really well. You should check it out.

I have seen the game but find it wholly unrealistic. Typically assassins are more cautrtious than that fool acts, plus simply bowing your head and pretending to be a monk when you are clearly outfitted as a warrior seemed kind of silly.
Northern Ranger
Hero
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Northern Ranger wrote:

I have seen the game but find it wholly unrealistic. Typically assassins are more cautrtious than that fool acts, plus simply bowing your head and pretending to be a monk when you are clearly outfitted as a warrior seemed kind of silly.

Okay, I'll go with you on that last point. But the whole free running to escape the guards thing, while not realistic, is great storytelling. It's fantasy, just like what we're all playing here. It works in system, I believe, specifically because it is unbelievable. But that is, as always, only my opinion. And you are right, just bowing your head and pretending to be a monk when your obviously not is ludicrous. (But speaking as someone who is trained in observation, you'd be amazed what some people don't notice. And eventually, the guards do notice the assassin, even when he's "hiding". But I'm off the point.)
As is the case with everyone, I appreciate you voicing your opinion. I learn a lot from the opinions of others and will take your thoughts into consideration with my continued writings. Thanks!

300 Geek Points (So Far)
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Prince Of Persia did it better with the wall running and all. But for cheap thrills and adrenaline pumping action, Assassin's creed delivers what it promises. I just don't buy the assassin wearing white thing, either. Of course, having played the halfling hiding in his chocolate brown studded leather caked in mud holding his crossbow in between the barrels awaiting the target to come out of the tavern into the dimly lit street, I am used to the "hiding" type of assassin.
Father Goose
Adventurer
Comment: If I could go back in time, I would join the cast of "The Thrilling Adventure Hour"

Re: A new skill for you to digest.

Unread post by Father Goose »

I was inspired by this conversation and came up with this. Let me know what you think.

Free Runner
Dashing across rooftops, leaping over merchant stalls, swinging from branches and chandeliers, the free runner sees all the world, both urban and wild, as his playground. The free runner lives for the thrill that overcoming each challenge brings, and no obstacle, barricade, or rocky terrain exists that the free runner will not climb, leap, or tumble over and across.

Special Abilities
Parkour: the free runner uses a combination of running, jumping, climbing, and tumbling, along with amazing agility and superb balance to quickly cross difficult terrain, scale walls, and other amazing feats of athletic ability. Roll against Parkour in the following situations:
1. To negate any penalties for moving across difficult terrain (one roll per round)
2. To climb/scale a tree, wall, or other surface not entirely sheer as a single action (requires a full run before the attempt, otherwise use Climb/Scale Walls skill as usual). May climb or scale up to 5 feet +5 feet per level (starting at level one) as a single action with a maximum limit equal to run distance per the Speed Attribute (cannot scale faster than he can run).
3. Leap as part of a normal move action (such as running, leaping across a chasm or divide, and continuing to run without interruption). Limited only by the normal distance the free runner can traverse according to the Speed Attribute.
Base Skill: 40%+5% per level

Free Runner O.C.C.

Alignment: Any
Attribute requirements: P.S. 10, P.P. 14, P.E. 10 or higher.
O.C.C. Bonuses: +2d6 S.D.C; +2 to dodge and Roll with Impact/Fall at first level, +1 at levels 3, 7, 10, and 12.

O.C.C. Skills:
Languages: Native Tongue at 98% plus one of choice (+10%)
Acrobatics or Gymnastics or Tumbling (+20%)
Athletics
Running
Climb/Scale Walls (+15%)
Escape Artist (+15%)
Land Navigation (+10%)
W.P. Targeting and one of choice
Hand to Hand: Basic
Hand to hand: basic may be improved to expert for the cost of one "other" skill, or martial arts (assassin if evil) for the cost of two "other" skills.

O.C.C. Related Skills: Select eight other skills of choice at level one, plus one additional skill at levels three, six, nine and twelve. All new skills start at level one proficiency.
Communications: Sign Language only
Domestic: Any
Espionage: Detect Ambush and Detect Concealment & Traps only
Horsemanship: none; Free Runners run
Medical: First Aid only
Military: Surveillance only
Physical: Any (+15 where applicable)
Rogue: Streetwise only
Science: Astronomy & Navigation and Math skills only
Scholar/Technical: Any (+10% on language & literacy skills only)
Weapon Proficiencies: Any
Wilderness: Spelunking and Wilderness Survival only

Secondary Skills: The character also gets to select two secondary skills from the previous list at level one and two more at levels four, eight, and twelve. These are additional areas of knowledge that do not get the advantage of the bonus listed in the parentheses. All secondary skills start at the base skill level. Also, skills are limited (any, only, none) as previously indicated in the list.

Starting Equipment: Two sets of clothes, boots or moccasins, a pair of gloves, cape or cloak, hat, belt, bedroll, tent, purse, backpack, three small sacks, a water skin, and two weeks of trail rations.
Armor: Starts with a suit of soft leather armor (A.R. 10, S.D.C. 20)
Weapons: Starts with a knife, hatchet, and one additional weapon of choice; all are basic S.D.C. weapons of fair to good quality. Magic weapons and additional items must be acquired later.
Money: The character starts with 300 in gold.

Uses the Thief experience table for advancement
Last edited by Father Goose on Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
taalismn wrote:Hey, you came up with a novel, attention-getting idea, you did the legwork, you worked it through, you made it fit the setting, even though initial thought might be 'nah, it can't work, it's too silly/stupid/lame', and you posted something that only required a little adjustment, yet can be added to, without diluting its original concept. How can we not give you due support and credit?
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I'd drop their hand to hand towards Basic, with the option to improve it they wish... while they're highly mobile combatants, not everyone is going to be Batroc the Leaper. I'd also consider limiting their single-action scale by their speed... the silly example is someone of average speed but high level can scale vertical surfaces faster they can run (22 speed (9 base + 10 average running + 3 average Athletics), but can scale vertical surfaces at 80 feet per action)
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Father Goose
Adventurer
Comment: If I could go back in time, I would join the cast of "The Thrilling Adventure Hour"

Mark Hall wrote:I'd drop their hand to hand towards Basic, with the option to improve it they wish... while they're highly mobile combatants, not everyone is going to be Batroc the Leaper. I'd also consider limiting their single-action scale by their speed... the silly example is someone of average speed but high level can scale vertical surfaces faster they can run (22 speed (9 base + 10 average running + 3 average Athletics), but can scale vertical surfaces at 80 feet per action)

You're right, "highly mobile combatants" does not automatically equal HtH: Martial Arts, and your example of skill exploit via Parkour is quite ridiculous and should not be allowed. Necessary changes have been edited into the original post.
Thank you for your insight.
taalismn wrote:Hey, you came up with a novel, attention-getting idea, you did the legwork, you worked it through, you made it fit the setting, even though initial thought might be 'nah, it can't work, it's too silly/stupid/lame', and you posted something that only required a little adjustment, yet can be added to, without diluting its original concept. How can we not give you due support and credit?
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

Father Goose wrote:I was inspired by this conversation and came up with this. Let me know what you think.

Free Runner
Dashing across rooftops, leaping over merchant stalls, swinging from branches and chandeliers, the free runner sees all the world, both urban and wild, as his playground. The free runner lives for the thrill that overcoming each challenge brings, and no obstacle, barricade, or rocky terrain exists that the free runner will not climb, leap, or tumble over and across.

Special Abilities
Parkour: the free runner uses a combination of running, jumping, climbing, and tumbling, along with amazing agility and superb balance to quickly cross difficult terrain, scale walls, and other amazing feats of athletic ability. Roll against Parkour in the following situations:
1. To negate any penalties for moving across difficult terrain (one roll per round)
2. To climb/scale a tree, wall, or other surface not entirely sheer as a single action (requires a full run before the attempt, otherwise use Climb/Scale Walls skill as usual). May climb or scale up to 5 feet +5 feet per level (starting at level one) as a single action with a maximum limit equal to run distance per the Speed Attribute (cannot scale faster than he can run).
3. Leap as part of a normal move action (such as running, leaping across a chasm or divide, and continuing to run without interruption). Limited only by the normal distance the free runner can traverse according to the Speed Attribute.
Base Skill: 40%+5% per level

Free Runner O.C.C.

Alignment: Any
Attribute requirements: P.S. 10, P.P. 14, P.E. 10 or higher.
O.C.C. Bonuses: +2d6 S.D.C; +2 to dodge and Roll with Impact/Fall at first level, +1 at levels 3, 7, 10, and 12.

O.C.C. Skills:
Languages: Native Tongue at 98% plus one of choice (+10%)
Acrobatics or Gymnastics or Tumbling (+20%)
Athletics
Running
Climb/Scale Walls (+15%)
Escape Artist (+15%)
Land Navigation (+10%)
W.P. Targeting and one of choice
Hand to Hand: Basic
Hand to hand: basic may be improved to expert for the cost of one "other" skill, or martial arts (assassin if evil) for the cost of two "other" skills.

O.C.C. Related Skills: Select eight other skills of choice at level one, plus one additional skill at levels three, six, nine and twelve. All new skills start at level one proficiency.
Communications: Sign Language only
Domestic: Any
Espionage: Detect Ambush and Detect Concealment & Traps only
Horsemanship: none; Free Runners run
Medical: First Aid only
Military: Surveillance only
Physical: Any (+15 where applicable)
Rogue: Streetwise only
Science: Astronomy & Navigation and Math skills only
Scholar/Technical: Any (+10% on language & literacy skills only)
Weapon Proficiencies: Any
Wilderness: Spelunking and Wilderness Survival only

Secondary Skills: The character also gets to select two secondary skills from the previous list at level one and two more at levels four, eight, and twelve. These are additional areas of knowledge that do not get the advantage of the bonus listed in the parentheses. All secondary skills start at the base skill level. Also, skills are limited (any, only, none) as previously indicated in the list.

Starting Equipment: Two sets of clothes, boots or moccasins, a pair of gloves, cape or cloak, hat, belt, bedroll, tent, purse, backpack, three small sacks, a water skin, and two weeks of trail rations.
Armor: Starts with a suit of soft leather armor (A.R. 10, S.D.C. 20)
Weapons: Starts with a knife, hatchet, and one additional weapon of choice; all are basic S.D.C. weapons of fair to good quality. Magic weapons and additional items must be acquired later.
Money: The character starts with 300 in gold.

Uses the Thief experience table for advancement

If i take ALL 3 skills do I get a +20% to each of them?

I feel the class should have some special bit of flair, not that free running isn't already flashy. Some maneuver or trick they do whilst doing their thing that "wow's the crowd" and sets them apart distinctly from Acrobats/Gymnasts/Tumblers. Just a thought.
(I didn't read this super closely, so if I missed something I apologize.)
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re:

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Running across rooftops usually doesn't draw attention. People tend not to look up too often.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re:

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Northern Ranger wrote:

Are you saying John Wilks Booth was more cautious? An stage actor? Assassins are what they need to be.
That said what do you mean Assassin's Creed is unrealistic? You mean jumping from 100 feet into a 6 foot hay bail won't break your fall so you can just walk away?
As for the bow y our head and blend in with monks... that made sense with Altair who was at least dressed similar to the monks and if surrounded by them would conceal his weapons from view on his torso with only his head to be, somewhat, clearly seen but it is concealed in a hood that looks like the monks. With the rest it seems pretty stupid as their outfits continue to get more and more "unique" and unable to blend into the rabble.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Dying Light was a pretty good parkour game. If you like parkour id give it a look.
Then convert it do dead reign :)
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

I'm not in the mood to argue statements I made over ten years ago. I am surprised they let this one get away with someone necroposting to bring it back. Aren't we supposed to start a new thread under these conditions?
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:I'm not in the mood to argue statements I made over ten years ago. I am surprised they let this one get away with someone necroposting to bring it back. Aren't we supposed to start a new thread under these conditions?

We are but apparently the mods want to pick & choose which rules they enforce in which threads.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

The Beast wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:I'm not in the mood to argue statements I made over ten years ago. I am surprised they let this one get away with someone necroposting to bring it back. Aren't we supposed to start a new thread under these conditions?

We are but apparently the mods want to pick & choose which rules they enforce in which threads.

Unless someone reports the thread for necromancy they normally wont respond...
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Ah I see now Father Goose was dabbling in Necromancy.
Father Goose
Adventurer

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:If i take ALL 3 skills do I get a +20% to each of them?

I feel the class should have some special bit of flair, not that free running isn't already flashy. Some maneuver or trick they do whilst doing their thing that "wow's the crowd" and sets them apart distinctly from Acrobats/Gymnasts/Tumblers. Just a thought.
(I didn't read this super closely, so if I missed something I apologize.)

No. You pick one, which is why it is an or.
Father Goose
Adventurer

Zer0 Kay wrote:

Ah I see now Father Goose was dabbling in Necromancy.

My apologies. I am new to the forum and must have overlooked that rule. I didn't mean to cause a problem. I really was inspired by what I read and thought I would share. I will be more careful in the future.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

My personal opinion on this though?
Free Running/Parkor is one of those things that regularly pops up over and over again.
There are basically two sides to the argument and they both have good points.
On the pro side, they point to the vast skill proliferation out there as why a new skill is fine, and that Parkor is unlike Acrobatics or Gymnastics in that it doesn't deal with 'ringing' or 'tightropes' or other such stunts. As such it is a separate field of althletic endeavor.
Which are both true

On the con side they point out that there are already a vast number of Physical Skills out there and that there is already an issue with "physical bloat" where people load up on physical skills to make characters with insanely high PP scores... and that PP is one of the most powerful stats in the game as it is... so that adding yet another way to improve it isn't really all that useful. The other point made is that you can do everything Parkor does if you take one of the Acrobatics/Gymnastics/Tumbling skills the Running skill and maybe Climbing. And that since Parkor is often a lifestyle not simply a minor hobby that asking someone to take 2 skills to become a flippy roof running ninja guy isn't really that unreasonable.
This is sort of why we have a "Sports" skill and not separate skills for Basketball, Football, Soccer, Rugby, Baseball, Cricket, Jai-Lai.... each of which provides its own physical stat bonuses...

My personal view is that I try to avoid adding in specialized skills like this as it opens up the door to needing a skill for everything... where as I would much rather be able to have my Burgundy Bandits be parkor enthusiasts and just say "yeah, they have running, high PP and some acrobatic style skills... so they are going to be doing wall jumps and roof flips and stuff." and not burn yet another skill on something that I want to be a hobby and not a main focus...
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

I don't see the point of this as a skill; Gymnastics and Acrobatics plus Climbing cover the bases well enough.

I don't see the point of this as an O.C.C. Tumblers and Acrobats cover this well enough.

Finally, I don't really see the point from a mechanics or "cool" standpoint. Freerunning looks cool, but it's physically complicated and ill-suited to be represented in a normal tabletop RPG session. Even if you're one of the few groups playing with miniatures in a well-developed to-scale 3D miniature terrain model that has lots of obstacles, the aforementioned existing skills should be adequate for negotiating obstacles at speed.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

eliakon wrote:
The Beast wrote:

I did just that back on the 12th, yet it's still unlocked. Meanwhile this thread was locked in a hour.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

The Beast wrote:
eliakon wrote:
The Beast wrote:

I did just that back on the 12th, yet it's still unlocked. Meanwhile this thread was locked in a hour.

If the thread is getting bumped for no reason with nothing new or interesting added, then I think a lock is appropriate. If something significant gets added, then I don't think it should. In this case, something significant got added. This is the good kind of thread necromancy.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Hotrod wrote:
The Beast wrote:
eliakon wrote:
The Beast wrote:

If the thread is getting bumped for no reason with nothing new or interesting added, then I think a lock is appropriate. If something significant gets added, then I don't think it should. In this case, something significant got added. This is the good kind of thread necromancy.

I cant stand that if you ask a question that was answered someone will freque fly ask if you've done a search yet. So you go and do a search and you dont find it because you dont use the same words. Then you go back to the post you just made now it branches when you comment you couldn't find it. As a response you can get the super helpful guy who posts the link, the jerk that just denigrates you, the jackwagon who begrudgingly gives the link after denigrating you, or the clueless or careless guy who just responds to the OP. So now you click the link and you have a question so you post on the old topic resurrecting the topic. You may get a helpful response, but you could get a jerk and his response just happens to set off a mod who instead of deleting the response decides to lock the topic because it is necromancy and only garnering useless responses. Your question not satisfactorily answered you decide to post it in the newer thread you originally and it ends up getting locked because you just made the thread about a locked thread which is a big no no and now you've been given a warning because you broke a necromancy rule. So now how the heck do you get your answer without getting banned?

So:
Don't ask questions without searching first
Don't do thread necromancy
Don't make thread to ask questions about old thread

So what is our protocol to find out a question that wasnt answers in the old forum?
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

<Snipped a bunch of people whining about a new person having the temerity to ask a question>

Zer0 Kay wrote:
I cant stand that if you ask a question that was answered someone will freque fly ask if you've done a search yet. So you go and do a search and you dont find it because you dont use the same words. Then you go back to the post you just made now it branches when you comment you couldn't find it. As a response you can get the super helpful guy who posts the link, the jerk that just denigrates you, the jackwagon who begrudgingly gives the link after denigrating you, or the clueless or careless guy who just responds to the OP. So now you click the link and you have a question so you post on the old topic resurrecting the topic. You may get a helpful response, but you could get a jerk and his response just happens to set off a mod who instead of deleting the response decides to lock the topic because it is necromancy and only garnering useless responses. Your question not satisfactorily answered you decide to post it in the newer thread you originally and it ends up getting locked because you just made the thread about a locked thread which is a big no no and now you've been given a warning because you broke a necromancy rule. So now how the heck do you get your answer without getting banned?

So:

So what is our protocol to find out a question that wasnt answers in the old forum?

I would like to point out that ALL those responses are jerks unless the question is literally one that has a hard and fast universally agreed on rule book answer.
Because telling someone "Sorry, you don't get to talk about this topic because the important people already talked about it five years ago before you came along" is rude and demeaning. It is also why we have a hard time keeping new people on these forums.

If the question is old enough that it is necromatic to raise the old thread then guess what people.
ASKING THE QUESTION AGAIN IS VALID BECAUSE THAT MEANS ITS NOT A CURRENT TOPIC.
If you don't want to contribute to the new discussion that's fine. But simply telling someone to shut up because you don't want to talk is the absolute height of rudeness and anyone who thinks it is 'helpful' or 'polite' to tell a person that has a question to "Shut up the adults are talking" is utterly and totally wrong.

EDIT: I would also like to extend an apology to Father Goose for the rudeness shown him here in this thread. I am terribly sorry that it happened, and it is not reflective of our entire community.

Father Goose
Adventurer

eliakon wrote:I would like to point out that ALL those responses are jerks unless the question is literally one that has a hard and fast universally agreed on rule book answer.
Because telling someone "Sorry, you don't get to talk about this topic because the important people already talked about it five years ago before you came along" is rude and demeaning. It is also why we have a hard time keeping new people on these forums.

If the question is old enough that it is necromatic to raise the old thread then guess what people.
If you don't want to contribute to the new discussion that's fine. But simply telling someone to shut up because you don't want to talk is the absolute height of rudeness and anyone who thinks it is 'helpful' or 'polite' to tell a person that has a question to "Shut up the adults are talking" is utterly and totally wrong.

EDIT: I would also like to extend an apology to Father Goose for the rudeness shown him here in this thread. I am terribly sorry that it happened, and it is not reflective of our entire community.

Thank you for addressing this situation. I understand not wanting to clutter a forum by having the same topic in multiple threads (hence why I posted here, rather than starting a new thread), but understand why someone wouldn't want to have an old thread resurrected without cause (years later getting email notifications for a conversation you've already forgot about can be tiresome). Knowing when to post a new topic thread and when to comment on an older post can be tricky, especially when everyone has a different view on criteria for choosing between the two.
I especially appreciated Hotrod's comment about when necroposting can be considered a good thing (even though I will be avoiding this in the future as a general policy).
On a personal note, I was not offended by comments made in this thread. I understand that I engaged in a behavior that is off-putting to some, and did not interpret their comments as personal attacks. Some were even embarrassingly amusing. I do thank you, though, for taking the time to apologize. While I was not offended, it is still a nice gesture that you are considerate and welcoming to a new member.
Lastly, I think we have diverged sufficiently from the topic of free running and parkour, that this conversation is no longer related to the topic of the original post, so perhaps we should all walk away (and make a new post, should someone feel this conversation worth continuing in a public fashion).
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

eliakon wrote:<Snipped a bunch of people whining about a new person having the temerity to ask a question>

Zer0 Kay wrote:

So:

I would like to point out that ALL those responses are jerks unless the question is literally one that has a hard and fast universally agreed on rule book answer.

Amen!! Sometimes I see you posting and I think here comes the critiques and corrections and then you make a post like this and I'm like Dang he is one of the most decent guys on here. And SO right.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Father Goose wrote:
eliakon wrote:I would like to point out that ALL those responses are jerks unless the question is literally one that has a hard and fast universally agreed on rule book answer.

Thank you for addressing this situation. I understand not wanting to clutter a forum by having the same topic in multiple threads (hence why I posted here, rather than starting a new thread), but understand why someone wouldn't want to have an old thread resurrected without cause (years later getting email notifications for a conversation you've already forgot about can be tiresome). Knowing when to post a new topic thread and when to comment on an older post can be tricky, especially when everyone has a different view on criteria for choosing between the two.
I especially appreciated Hotrod's comment about when necroposting can be considered a good thing (even though I will be avoiding this in the future as a general policy).
On a personal note, I was not offended by comments made in this thread. I understand that I engaged in a behavior that is off-putting to some, and did not interpret their comments as personal attacks. Some were even embarrassingly amusing. I do thank you, though, for taking the time to apologize. While I was not offended, it is still a nice gesture that you are considerate and welcoming to a new member.
Lastly, I think we have diverged sufficiently from the topic of free running and parkour, that this conversation is no longer related to the topic of the original post, so perhaps we should all walk away (and make a new post, should someone feel this conversation worth continuing in a public fashion).

I love that one of the first things you did was post a class for it. How quickly do you come up with classes. How long does it take you?

Bah as for necromancy as long as you polish the neck bolts... :)
Father Goose
Adventurer

Zer0 Kay wrote:I love that one of the first things you did was post a class for it. How quickly do you come up with classes. How long does it take you?

The time varies by my level of inspiration. Sometimes it takes a while, but in this case, the class formed quickly on its own. I just had to write it out. All in all, this OCC took about 10 minutes to write initially. It was then updated according to suggestions from the community.
When I wrote the Rake OCC (posted in a different thread), that took me several hours for the first draft, then multiple updates based on community responses.
I love to create, write, and share my ideas and I take encouragement from comments such as this. Thank you.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Father Goose wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:I love that one of the first things you did was post a class for it. How quickly do you come up with classes. How long does it take you?

The time varies by my level of inspiration. Sometimes it takes a while, but in this case, the class formed quickly on its own. I just had to write it out. All in all, this OCC took about 10 minutes to write initially. It was then updated according to suggestions from the community.
When I wrote the Rake OCC (posted in a different thread), that took me several hours for the first draft, then multiple updates based on community responses.

I love to create, write, and share my ideas and I take encouragement from comments such as this. Thank you.

Okay. I'm going to adopt you. :)
Father Goose
Adventurer

Zer0 Kay wrote:Okay. I'm going to adopt you. :)

LOL. Does that mean you'll pay for my education? My wife will be so pleased when she learns I don't have to take out student loans.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Father Goose wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:Okay. I'm going to adopt you. :)

LOL. Does that mean you'll pay for my education? My wife will be so pleased when she learns I don't have to take out student loans.

Yes the same way my parents paid for mine :)

Oh wait i have a $170,000 student loan debt and that was after GI Bill and yellow ribbon program

Sorry son your gonna have to be a rake. ;).

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”