Monks

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Blue Eyes
Dungeon Crawler

Monks

Unread post by Blue Eyes »

heya :)

i have a question concerning monks.
monks have the ability to make a stick power strike with a staff or spear. this attack goes to the opponents skull/temple and does extra damage (+1d6) as well as causing penalties such as blackout and loss of initiative.
monks also have the spirit strike power that allows them to seriously damage creatures of magic and supernatural beings (does triple damage to them).

now my question is; can the two abilities be combined in one move, say a monk is fighting a shedim hades demon, he jumps and makes a temple strike (armed with a bo staff he must roll a total of 18+ including bonuses) and combines it with the spirit strike to inflict triple damage - is this possible? even a monk with no damage bonus would do 9d6 damage to the head of the shedim if successful or 6d6 if the temple strike misses and he only hits the body of the shedim.

one of my players attempted this and i let him, but i am unsure if it is possible or book legal, what do u guys think?

BE
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Provisionally (till I get home and check my books), sure, why not?
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by J. Lionheart »

As with Nexx, I'd be tenatively saying OK to that one. I'm at work and don't have my books, but unless there's a reference to powers not being combinable, or choosing "one or the other," I think it could be done.
Jeremiah Lionheart (Evan Cooney)
Only person ever to kill another player in KS's "Secret Enemy" game.
"Julius is convinced Evan Cooney was born to play Weasel Man." -Kevin

Unread post by Guest »

Yes, it can be done.
Library Ogre

MrNexx wrote:Provisionally (till I get home and check my books), sure, why not?

Having checked the books, I concur with myself.

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
acreRake
Hero
Comment: Greatest Rune Gardenweasel

Unread post by acreRake »

Ha ha ha... yeah.

I've seen it plenty of times in game. No one's ever had any problem.
Northern Ranger
Hero
Comment: Twenty year player of PF.
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Unread post by Northern Ranger »

That was a smart player. Easy way to do a lot of damage. And as far as I can tell, nexx and the others are right, it's perfectly legal! Bravo! 8)
This world is far too small not to want to see it all, but life is far too short to allow that to happen. - Falcon, Ranger (My primary hero in PFRPG setting)

"Unhand me you slobbering son of an Orcish whore!" - Ariana Moonstone, Palladin (Another primary character of mine.)

"Bastard!" War cry of Strut, Barbarian Mercenary. (That's for you James!)

300 Geek Points (So Far)
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

The best combat part of playing a monk is whacking demons in the side of their head with your walking stick.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Library Ogre

That's my reading, as well. However, if a PC ONLY used stick power strikes, I would rule that their opponents get a bonus to parry... if you keep poking someone in the head, and only in the head, he gets a bit of a bonus to block your next head shot, because you're being obvious.

Of course, it's at that point a wise monk pokes them in the belly.

All Palladium Articles
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

Ah the warrior monk. Not the monk.
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Kuseru Satsujin wrote:Yes, it can be done.

The master has spoken...need anyone else ay more? :D
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
Library Ogre

rcmalamutes wrote:I am assuming you are all talking about 2ed monks - right?

Because 1ed monks cannot go on the offensive at all.

That said - does anybody play 1ed monks???? Are they fun????

They seem like they have a lot of role play potential - but with ABSOLUTELY ZERO fighting potential - they seem like they would be pretty hard to play.

They're not hard to play, though they can get somewhat boring if you're wanting to fight. I wouldn't suggest them if you're running a game for your kids... its a pretty rare kid who wants to avoid fighting, and just roll around, not getting hit.

All Palladium Articles
Blue Eyes
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Monks

Heya,

Been a long time since i made this thread.

In the meantime, I made some changes to the "stick fighting" (house-rules) of the Warrior Monk OCC.

Stick Fighting: The art of fighting with a staff or spear is a form of martial combat. A simple piece of wood, often referred to as the monks “stick”, is used to remind the monk of his humble station. A spear, but no polearms, is also acceptable as it is only a modest enhancement.

“Stick” Power Strike: A powerful thrust with the point of the staff, or blunt end of a spear, to the temple. The attack does no damage, but if successful, for a moment, everything goes black: the victim of the stick power strike loses initiative, loses one melee action and there is a 01-50% chance the he will drop whatever weapon he is holding (only drops one weapon if using a pair - victims choice of which). The monk must focus and deliberately aim at and strike the temple (the player must announce his intention before he rolls to strike). It is a called shot at -6 to strike, if the target is wearing armor the called shot must beat the targets armor rating. Reduce penalty to -5 at level 4, -4 at level 8 and -3 at level 12.

Parry Arrows with Staff or Spear: The monk can attempt to parry ranged attacks with staff or spear! He is –2 to parry darts, thrown or hurled objects/attacks, and is –6 to parry gunfire and arrows. The character can only attempt to parry the ranged attacks of one opponent at a time and must see the attack coming. Circular parry (If available to the character) allows for parrying multiple opponents ranged attacks at -10.

“Stick” Fighting Bonuses: One additional attack pr. melee round when using a staff or spear of any kind. The Monk is also +1 additional to parry at levels 4, 8 and 12 in addition to the bonuses already listed under the weapon proficiencies of WP: Staff and WP: Spear. Last but not least, the monk does +1d6 damage when using staffs or spears.

Cheers
BE
Reagren Wright
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Re:

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Zylo wrote:
Jester wrote:They are two different attack forms and require two differing focus and attack styles they cannot be done at the same time with the same weapon. Nor are they even used on the same types of opponents.

I don't buy the different attack forms/focus, or why you can't use the same weapon. The power strike is basically a called shot that actually has detailed benefits, unlike normal called shots. The spirit strike is channeling PPE to increase damage, right? So you're saying you can't do a normal called shot with a spirit strike? There is minimal benefit for doing it, but it is still possible.

I agree that there could be arguments for types of opponents, like a demon without a discernible head, where a spirit strike would be possible, but not a power strike.

I am going to agree with Zylo and Mark. Don't see a problem combining the two different
attacks. The temple strike will only work on something you can hit upside the temple (head).
So what good is it against something giant size like a 15 foot (4.5 m) Nimiro giant. I also
agree it should count as two or half the attacks for the melee round afterward or you
can only perform defensive capabilities (parry or dodge) for the rest of the melee round.
Blue Eyes
Dungeon Crawler

Howdy,

oh i agree as well.

Problem was back then, that temple strike added +1d6 damage on a successful temple strike.
At the same time the rules of Palladium state, that if you attemp "a called shot" and miss the specific called target, but ur roll is good enough to strike, you still hit the main body of the target, this meant my players were using the temple strike ALWAYS, cause, why not right?

Our game also uses hit locations with head, arms, and legs having seperate combined HP and SDC, when called shots are performed.

Therefore reducing HP and SDC to 0 on the head knocks a NPCs out (According to our house rules). Making temple strike unbalanced for our game.

I had to make some changes to my game, but I agree, the combination of the two original abilities does not seem to be in conflict.

BE
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, the only question I have is what happens if you attack something that doesn't have a temple - like a Maggot? I guess it's just not going to do anything.

As for 1st Ed Monk, here's the cheesiest thing to do with them, but it's legal. Make the monk and advance it to level 2. Immediately switch to another OCC. Sure, you'll lose some experience points in the transition and you might fall a level or two behind the rest of the group, but that will level out eventually. Plus, you now have an automatic dodge!

-Vek
"Automatic Dodge is handy."

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”