Differences in Edition?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

SkyeFyre
Hero

Differences in Edition?

Unread post by SkyeFyre »

Hey, I've just decided that I've played Rifts long enough and I wanted to give PF a spin. Well I ordered myself PF second ed and I was wondering, what are the differences between the two editions? I've seen a bit of the first ed... age rules and the such. Are those still in there? I know they have a tendancy to remove cool things from their books when they remake them. Anyways... if anyone could just tell me any differences they've noticed that'd be cool.

Can't wait for it to come in.
"If your party is doing anything but running like hell trying not to get vaporized, the GM is not running the Mechanoids correctly." -Geronimo 2.0
"Coming Summer 1994... Mechanoid Space!"
75 GM Geek Points
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by J. Lionheart »

The differences between PF1E and PF2E are huge. PF2E is the megaversal system, which you'll be familiar with from RIFTS. PF1E predates that, and is not megaversal.

In PF1E:

Skills are handled differently
There are no physical skills
Characters don't generally have S.D.C.
P.P.E. doesn't exist.
Psionics are categorized completely differently
Many more warlock spells are wizard usable
Many psi abilities and some magic spells aren't around, and some are there which later vanish
Hand to hand is different
Monsters and Creatures are much weaker
Priests are far superior

Also, the 1E mainbook has some good content that the 2E mainbook lacks, most notably an incredible adventure called Tombs of Gersidi.

Edited for spelling.
Last edited by J. Lionheart on Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeremiah Lionheart (Evan Cooney)
Only person ever to kill another player in KS's "Secret Enemy" game.
"Julius is convinced Evan Cooney was born to play Weasel Man." -Kevin
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

It comes up often enough that there should be a sticky topic for the differences between 1ed and 2ed.
SkyeFyre
Hero

Unread post by SkyeFyre »

Thanks. This'll do nicely.
"If your party is doing anything but running like hell trying not to get vaporized, the GM is not running the Mechanoids correctly." -Geronimo 2.0
"Coming Summer 1994... Mechanoid Space!"
75 GM Geek Points
Giddoen
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: I have faith! My character sheet says so!!!

a little off topic

Unread post by Giddoen »

but I thought that Tombs of Gersidi. was availible n the main site as a d/l???

Giddoen
I have faith!....My character sheet says so!!!
Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Re: a little off topic

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

Giddoen wrote:but I thought that Tombs of Gersidi. was availible n the main site as a d/l???

Giddoen

No, that is the Arms of Nargash-Tor that is available for download.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Re: a little off topic

Unread post by The Beast »

DevilDog0331 wrote:
Giddoen wrote:but I thought that Tombs of Gersidi. was availible n the main site as a d/l???

Giddoen

DO you know if I can find the Tombs of Gersidi adventure anywhere online?

Once A Marine- Always A Marine
Semper Fi

No, it hasn't been posted anywhere. :(
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

No, it isn't online. If you do find it online, it's an illegal copy.
Eyeball

Unread post by Eyeball »

Hi all, I need help here. I always thought that there was a Palladium fantasy first edition. And then they released a 'revised edition'. Can anyone confirm whether there was an earlier edition? I recall that when I got the Old Ones supplement the book seemed to be in a style not quite so compatible with the 'revised edition'.
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

There was an unrevised First Edition, as well as at least two versions of the Revised Edition (differentiated by cover art and by the presence or absence of a "sexual deviations table").
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Eyeball

Unread post by Eyeball »

Yeah, I was hoping to get a copy of the 'unrevised' edition. I saw something dated as released in 85' and found out it was a 'revised' version. So which year was the game first released? I saw a copy ages ago back in 92'ish and realize now that I should've bought it then.

I hate SDC.
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Unrevised first edition came out in 1983. Look for the black cover with a red dragon, and NO little white writing under the word "playing" in "Palladium Fantasy Role-Playing Game". Both my unrevised's are first printing 1983 ones, and my revised black-cover is a third printing 1986. I'm not sure which edition 2nd printing is, but if you've got a 1985 saying revised, it looks like only first-printing is unrevised.

The notorious "sexual deviations table" appeared in printings 1 through 4, both unrevised and revised. Printing 5 used the revised insanity tables, and I believe it is printing 6 that began using the Parkinson cover.

As for SDC though, any first edition will do. SDC for people was not introduced in to PFRPG until second edition in 1996. All unrevised and revised PFRPG 1E is strictly hitpoints for the living, with SDC for inanimates.
Library Ogre
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

One thing that ups the scariness quotient is make all level gains go to SDC... that makes any HP damage a truly scary event for PCs
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Library Ogre

Remember that some things will still do direct to HP... poison, for example. Death Blow, as well.

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
TonyTown
D-Bee

Unread post by TonyTown »

MrNexx wrote:One thing that ups the scariness quotient is make all level gains go to SDC... that makes any HP damage a truly scary event for PCs

:) Thank you soooo much for this idea.
TonyTown
D-Bee

Unread post by TonyTown »

My group merged them together. We prefer the SDC system and essentially went with 1st Ed with SDC and Mana.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

rcmalamutes wrote:Thanks Tony - but do you know at what point all of the books BECAME second edition only? Like I know Palladium "rewrote" Adventures in the North..... into the 2nd edition book Wolfen Empire..... so at what point are all of the PFRPG books essentially only 2nd edition?
book 8 Western Empire is the first 2nd ed only book in the fantasy setting Books 6 Island at the End of the World and book 7 Yin Sloth Jungles have yet to be "officially" published as 2nd ed books
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

rcmalamutes wrote:Let me be a bit more specific -

Once you get past Yin Sloth (I just went through the catalog) - it seems most, if not all, of the books are just areas - very few new OCC's etc, etc.... they are just supplement area books (similar to what White Wolf used to do with their "By Night" series.... you would buy a book that detailed a new city....)

So it seems to me, for the most part - that you can take the first seven books and run with it.......

I mean the Wastelands book (Book 8 I think) looks kind of cool.

So - one, is that assessment relatively accurate, and two - if not, and those books are really cool to have - is the conversion system back to 1st ed really that painful????

Thanks again
well there are a few "new" OCCs and RCCs in the 2E books but the conversion is fairly simple
eliminate sdc for critters and poof done for the most part
the skills system is slightly different but easily converted
the only rough part IMO is the class specific HTH's but even that hurdle is easily covered....(pre 2E i had already converted the magic system to utilize PPE Which I felt was more "balanced" than the spells per day method of 1E)
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

I always enjoyed chuckling over the probability of canibalism on the racial chart... That's gone.
So is the graphical representation of each of the major area's coins.

Section lay-outs are different (primarily the Skills section).

While both are good, the 1ed book is easier to read and find things in.
Last edited by Borast on Tue May 25, 2010 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
Library Ogre

Western Empire jumps out immediately; very little crunchy bits, just lots and lots of world information. Baalgor Wasteland would be significantly harder; lots of races to deal with. Mt Nimro has a bit of crunch, but its a good bit world information. Eastern Territories is the same. Library of Bletherad probably wouldn't be your best choice... it's stuffed with 2nd edition crunchy bits which, while not terribly hard to convert, would require a lot of work (I still suggest it, incidentally). northern Hinterlands and the Land of the Damned books are very crunchy... if you're pure 1st edition, converting them is a lot of work.

All Palladium Articles
Library Ogre

Don't get me wrong... the world information is great. There's just some crunchy bits you won't be able to use, because they're not statted to 1st edition. And a lot of that will mean just cutting off the SDC, and maybe rebalancing HP.

All Palladium Articles
Library Ogre

Either East or West will work, but if you've got Yin-Sloth, West will tie in with that. If you have Adventures and Further Adventures in the Northern Wilderness, then East will have good tie-ins. Neither will give you conversion issues.

All Palladium Articles
MADMANMIKE
Comment: The Emolancer

Re: Differences in Edition?

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

pawsplay wrote:Things I noticed right away:
- The psionic illusionist is gone.
- Monks went from a quirky class of pacifist scholars to widespread friar/templar types with martial arts.
- Palladins gained supernatural abilities. Also, lots of kick attacks.
- Mercenaries went from being sub-par compared to Soldiers in the bonuses department to easily matching or exceeding them in hand to hand skills.
- A lot of the really great creature info was moved to Dragons and Gods.

Both the Psionic Illusionist and the Pacifist Monk are revised in Book II: The Old Ones. And some of that great creature info was added to Monsters and Animals.

I'd also suggest RIFTS Dark Conversions for some good monsters; all are laid out with SDC stats for use in PF and Heroes as well as their MDC equivalents.

-Mike <8]
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
FreelancerMar
Adventurer

Unread post by FreelancerMar »

IF I recall correctly, All the 1st/Revised Ed stuff can be Purchased Via Drivethrourpg.

IMHO 2nd ED is just a Non-MDC Fantasy version of Rifts. I Still have all of my First/Revised edition books(Basically all of the first edition stuff.)

While I will admit that much of the 2e stuff does make sense, I disagree with the nerfing that the 2e has done to/with the game.(This applies to ALL Megaversal titles)

One of my PFRPG House rules is that most weapon strikes flat out ignore SDC and goes direct to Hit points. SDC is basically for Indirect and non-weapon damage.
Ravenwing
Hero
Comment: Chaplain of the CS.

Unread post by Ravenwing »

Lol, SDC is one of the reasons I like PF!

From the sounds of things, 1st ed wasn't for me. I like SDC/HP, PPE/ISP etc.
Blunt like a Warhammer to the face!

Akashic Soldier is my hero!
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

FreelancerMar wrote:IF I recall correctly, All the 1st/Revised Ed stuff can be Purchased Via Drivethrourpg.

Seems some can: http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/6 ... tion-Rules

I heard that the 2nd edition of Old Ones doesn't have stats for the Old Ones, but by comparing their stats ni the 1st Ed to the stats for gods/demons/devils in 1st ed you can approximate their power in 2nd ed.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
JuliusCreed
Hero
Comment: Yesterday is history,
Tomorrow is a mystery,
But today is a gift.
That's why it is called "the present".

Re: Re:

Unread post by JuliusCreed »

Grom the Goat Getter wrote:
J. Lionheart wrote:The notorious "sexual deviations table" appeared in printings 1 through 4, both unrevised and revised. Printing 5 used the revised insanity tables, and I believe it is printing 6 that began using the Parkinson cover.

Hm, that is fascinating. I definitely have to check it out. I have a copy somewhere I picked up for passing around as a spare without realizing it was different than Second Edition. I just discarded it when I discovered the difference. Awe, the folly of youth... Apparently I don't know what I was missing. Was the sexual deviation chart a part of character generation?

It was part of the Insanity Tables, so basically, yeah, it was a part of Character Generation, albeit an optional part.
Sure, lions and tigers are stronger...
But I've never seen a wolf jump through hoops in a circus
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

My edition of PRPG, while lacking the sexual deviations table, still contains a couple references to rolling on that table under random insanity and the wizard's cauldron... so I still consider it canon :)
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Defender_X
Explorer

Unread post by Defender_X »

Back when I did PF 1e, I had come off Robotech and Rifts. It was fun, but I prefer 2nd myself and that's fine.
I get that many attacks with my beam cannons?!
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

pawsplay wrote:Things I noticed right away:
>Snip<
- Mercenaries went from being sub-par compared to Soldiers in the bonuses department to easily matching or exceeding them in hand to hand skills.
>Snip<

Makes sense, since if you consider the Real World example, Mercs tended to be *slightly* better than the average trooper. That being said, their survival rate tended to be as high as it was (for a largish portion of 'em, which is why they were so reviled even while they were used), due to the high level of turning coat a merc force would do if they believed they were about to be on the loosing side.
Many Merc companies were infamous for wearing the enemy's colours under their armband for just this kind of occurrence. (They would wear the colours of their client on their arm, since they did not wear the same uniform as the soldiers they fought beside.)
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
Kraynic
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Kraynic »

Borast wrote:Makes sense, since if you consider the Real World example, Mercs tended to be *slightly* better than the average trooper. That being said, their survival rate tended to be as high as it was (for a largish portion of 'em, which is why they were so reviled even while they were used), due to the high level of turning coat a merc force would do if they believed they were about to be on the loosing side.
Many Merc companies were infamous for wearing the enemy's colours under their armband for just this kind of occurrence. (They would wear the colours of their client on their arm, since they did not wear the same uniform as the soldiers they fought beside.)

I think the assumption is slightly different in the game. Well, maybe not the ability to change sides, I think that probably still stands just fine.

Soldiers: I believe the soldiers are supposed to be "professional" soldiers who spend a fair amount of time in training. At least, that is what the description in the book seems to be. Their bonuses are very focused on parrying and dealing damage. Actually, that is all they get, really. Progressive attacks per melee, increased parry/dodge, increased damage, and at the levels for them, the increased crit chance and the chance to stun. This seems to me to be more focused on unit fighting, where you are always expected to have your gear to hand.

Basically, these are probably not your town guards, unless you are in a really militarized setting. These guys have the potential to be the core fighting force holding the pass at Thermopylae.

Mercenaries: Going just from their bonus progression, I would mark them as slightly less dangerous in a line of battle. Their progression in all the various bonuses is a little behind that of the soldier, which falls in line with picking up tricks wherever they can. They are also slightly more versatile due to getting a kick attack, meaning that disarming them doesn't leave them as helpless as a soldier (the soldier doesn't get that option at all).

These are people that probably fit the rambling adventuring man of arms, the basic body guard, caravan guards, and so on. Something I have been thinking of doing is changing their progression to slip in a x2 damage from behind perk at some point. They are probably more likely to be doing some individual night raiding (or at least be thinking about that sort of thing) than your standard soldier, I would expect.

That is the way I see it and present them in my games anyway.
Grammarsalad
D-Bee

Unread post by Grammarsalad »

The one thing I miss about 1e was the hand to hand differences. Each man of arms class had slightly different hth bonuses. I don't remember details, but I liked the idea. If I ever play it again, I think I'm going to bring (something like that) back borrowing heavily from Ninjas & Superspies
Library Ogre

Grammarsalad wrote:The one thing I miss about 1e was the hand to hand differences. Each man of arms class had slightly different hth bonuses. I don't remember details, but I liked the idea. If I ever play it again, I think I'm going to bring (something like that) back borrowing heavily from Ninjas & Superspies

Looking back, I find the differences between the different hand to hands to be overstated.

All Palladium Articles
Kraynic
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Kraynic »

Mark Hall wrote:
Grammarsalad wrote:The one thing I miss about 1e was the hand to hand differences. Each man of arms class had slightly different hth bonuses. I don't remember details, but I liked the idea. If I ever play it again, I think I'm going to bring (something like that) back borrowing heavily from Ninjas & Superspies

Looking back, I find the differences between the different hand to hands to be overstated.

I've been thinking about this over the last few days, and I think it depends a lot on how you look at things. If you look at the progression from the point of view of everyone at level 15 on the charts, the differences are much less, because the differences are most noticeable during play as characters progress. I do agree that (for the most part) the +1's to parry/dodge and damage do relatively little to differentiate the different hand to hand skills. The significance of those bonuses do grow when horsemanship is involved, but I will address that later. However, there are other means of progression that have a significant impact on how dangerous a particular character/npc is in combat.

First, there is the number of attacks. Since the base number of attacks in 1E is 1 attack/action per melee, it is a big deal to get the increases through hand to hand training. Non-men of arms get their first upgrade the latest at level 4 and cap out at 4 attacks per melee within the 15 levels on the charts. The most "aggressive" men of arms like the palladin, knight, and soldier have the fastest progression gaining their second attack at level 2 and their 3rd at level 5. Then there is sort of a less "aggressive" progression that covers men of arms like the mercenary, ranger, and long bowman which gain their 2nd attack at level 3 and their third at level 6 or 7. Things do vary a bit as things progress due to other abilities (some really important to that particular hand to hand style) being included that push an attack upgrade back a level for a particular hand to hand style.

Second, I will throw 2 things together, and that is the critical hit chance and stun chance. The critical hit upgrade always happens first, usually followed 2-4 levels later by the stun for those styles that get a stun at all. Not only do these upgrades come at different levels, but the critical range is varied as well. The long bowman is set apart by getting no melee crit/stun, but gaining the 18-20 crit range with their bow at level 6. Palladins and assassins gain the crit chance the earliest while having the highest crit range at 17-20.

Third, there are the oddball modifiers, like backstab damage multipliers, which primarily apply to thieves and assassins. Those kick in at level 4 for double damage but increase to .4 damage by level 13 or 14. Non-men of arms get the base level of critical from behind at level 6, but it never improves beyond that. Assassins fall behind palladins in their attacks per melee at level 9 due to gaining their death blow on a 20 at level 9.

I mentioned horsemanship at the top, and it ties in primarily with the Knight and Palladin. General horsemanship is pretty basic and gives fairly low bonuses for combat while mounted. Horsemanship Druid/Knight is a decent step up from there with the Palladin version having the highest combat bonuses, especially for charge damage. If mounted, both of those OCCs have a fairly significant bonus to damage. The damage bonus just for being mounted starts at level 3 for both, while the charge damage bonuses start at 4. Obviously, druids can benefit from this as well, if they are inclined to do so, but their damage bonuses won't be as impressive unless they have a totem that boosts their damage.

So I would say there is quite a bit of differentiation between the progression of the different styles. At level 15, the differences are less pronounced except for style/OCC exclusive modifiers/abilities.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

The main differences i notice are the earlier bonuses to number of attacks per round, and the soldiers bonus to parry and dodge. For the fighter class i do tend to recommend the soldier and most of my players seem to agree.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”