Slaverey in the Palladium World

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Yes...I have "good" cultures in my AD&D and Palladium games that own slaves. I agree that slavery per se as a state of being, while degrading, is not good or evil, but it is the uses and abuses one makes that make it evil.
I can remember one novel a friend described to me (don't know the title or author) where some one tried to begin a slave revolt - unsuccessfully. Why? Because unlike the citizens of the nation whom where responsible for thier own health, welfare, and food stores. However, the slaves where housed, fed on the government's dime, and had free medical care from cradle to grave. On top of that, abuse of a slave automatically meant jail-time or worse...but not enslavement. ;) So, the SLAVES had more rights and protections than the free citizens!
Last edited by Borast on Sun May 23, 2004 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, I can see how someone wouldn't think ill of slavery and would still be considered a good character. There's nothing in the alignment descriptions about slavery so why not?

-Vek
"Slave to the rythym."
Vidynn
Adventurer

Unread post by Vidynn »

Apollyon7 wrote:Slavery doesn't have to be a bad thing. Slavery in essence is work without pay.

...which of course, if it isnt voluntarily, is a bad thing...

Vid
"My own big mouth causes me trouble too. You see, people are always asking me what 'I want' to do next or have planned for the future. Like an idiot, I blather on about some idea I've been kicking around or I'm dying to do."

- From the desk of Kevin Siembieda, The Rifter 12.
Dark
Wanderer

Unread post by Dark »

No, not necessarily an intrinsically 'Evil' thing.

The concept and practice of slavery, in and of itself, with other related issues aside... that, imo, is a neutral event/practice.

Is a rich person evil for being rich, or for making aggressive/practical business choices? Class envy aside, no... they are not.

This brings into the discussion the actual relevant difference, societally speaking, between a free 'person' and an obviously not free 'slave'... and that all hinges on the concept of status.

The wealthy/successful person necessarily has a greater status/dignitas that the slave does... believing in that system of status/dignitas and enforcing it, without passion or prejudice, in the system of slavery is not an evil thing.

Perhaps it is, of a sort, an 'unjust' thing, if you view justice as everyone being treated 'equally'. Yet people are treated very unequally in our own societies today, for various reasons ... reasons we do not currently choose to condemn as 'evil'.

The idea of status, and it not always being to given individual's advantage... possibly even to their detriment, is very real and alive today... we just consider it impolite conversation material.

I have to agree that the point at which it crosses the line is when the master of a slave<s> chooses to be abusive.

It can be rather tricky however to define what precisely is the difference between abuse, and simply enforcing the lack of autonomy that is indigenous to the state of slavery.

I'd like to hear some discussion on that if possible? What actually would quantify as 'abuse'? In your opinions?

A man keeping a concubine that he sleeps with not necessarily at her freely given consent?

This is a very classic/primal example of slavery... something at the very core of the practice if we are honest with ourselves. But the question becomes, lack of autonomy and our own squeamishness at the very idea of rape aside, is it abuse in this context?

Whipping a slave that refuses to work?

Forcing the slave to work in conditions that one would consider 'unsafe/unfit' for a free person?

If we look at the societal model of slavery in practice... the master must have means available to compel obedience and so enforce the differences of status... anything else is illogical. So I would think that any unpleasantness or violence that would be directly related to compelling obedience would not qualify as 'abuse'? Only that which is not justified by disobedience, such as a sadist's torturing a slave only for pleasure in a purely exaggerated example, would be 'abuse'?

Thoughts?
V/R,

Dark

Adventure is someone else in deep ****, far far away.
If you want to learn something new, read an old book.
Logic merely enables one to be wrong with authority.
My Keiretsu is bigger than yours.
pblackcrow
Champion

Unread post by pblackcrow »

Yes, some of the Greeks treated their slaves very well. The Spartan's however could do what ever they chose to do with them, even kill their slaves at any given time for what ever reason.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Dark
Wanderer

Unread post by Dark »

Well, simply because one had the right to do something doesn't mean one necessarily will do so regularly.

Similarly one could infer purely from the fact that Roman law acknowledged that the patriarch of a given family had the power of life and death over all of his dependents etc... and infer that this would mean Romans were especially bad/harsh fathers to need such a threat. But this would obviously not be true?

Believing in the rightness of the system, or the proper degree of authority a master should possess, does not in it's own indicate how the people were actually treated... if I make my point clearly?
V/R,

Dark

pblackcrow
Champion

Interesting. But back to the issue of slavery. I would say that there are good, bad, and selfish slave owners in the PF world. All depending on how they're treated. By the way, the page and squire are both issues of controversy because the knight that they were under could do anything to them; but they were made to be respectful and learned a trade. The true power though was not the knights or the King, but the guilds. The king commanded armys, but the guilds made the weapons ands ships; so of course their apprentices were not to be harmed by anyone other than a member of a guild.

I do wish that someone would come up with a magical noble OCC.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
UR Leader Hobbes
Adventurer

Unread post by UR Leader Hobbes »

I have to agree that the point at which it crosses the line is when the master of a slave<s> chooses to be abusive.

It can be rather tricky however to define what precisely is the difference between abuse, and simply enforcing the lack of autonomy that is indigenous to the state of slavery.

I'd like to hear some discussion on that if possible? What actually would quantify as 'abuse'? In your opinions?.

Well I would say that torture just for the sake of pleasure would be a point where it becomes an act of evil. I mean if you had a perfectly loyal slave and just felt like maiming him/her for no apparent reason then thats probally the line..

A man keeping a concubine that he sleeps with not necessarily at her freely given consent?

Well I would say it depends on what the slave was bought for.. Slaves have to learn their spot in the role that they are given. Thus is a man buys a slave for the sake of sex then she better get used to the idea.
In truth many slave owners did indeed have sex with their slaves in history. So the idea of a slave being used for that purpose isn't unusual. So I would have to venture a guess that someone who rapes a slave is well within their rights to do so. Is it evil? Well thats a hard call sense it's sorta part of the institution of slaverey.

Whipping a slave that refuses to work?

This one isn't evil.. It's a discipline issue.

Forcing the slave to work in conditions that one would consider 'unsafe/unfit' for a free person?

Nope thats not evil.. Slaves are literally the lowest people on the social totempoles. Often they would have to endure the most unpleasent and disgusting not to mention longest and roughest working conditions.

So I would think that any unpleasantness or violence that would be directly related to compelling obedience would not qualify as 'abuse'? Only that which is not justified by disobedience, such as a sadist's torturing a slave only for pleasure in a purely exaggerated example, would be 'abuse'?

I also think the owners might look at it similar to cattle. Espically if one was getting old and weak or came down with a plague. I could see an owner offing a slave so he doesn't loose any others.

THe only other abuse that pops into my mind is magical or psychic expirimentatios.
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

Dare I say it, but if you want some ideas for slave cultures, head out to your second hand book stores and pick up a few Gor novels.

Mind you, they are graphic, very graphic and well, graphic.

They are also a good read for other ideas too. Some of them are a hard slog, some are easy to read. His attention to detail is fantastic. I remember one novel (there are over 25 in the series!!), that was mainly nautical in nature. He spent about 3 pages or more describing the layout of the ship, how it was made, what it was made from, who made it, what it was used for.... alot of detail.

If you are affended by slavery/bondage/etc, then don't pick these books up.
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!
pblackcrow
Champion

Prisoners as slaves. Theaves, potchers, etc. were used as slaves.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Dark
Wanderer

Unread post by Dark »

Firstly you have to seperate the idea of slavery from the assumption that it is racially motivated. In it's purest sense it is not. That idea just happens to be prevelent in the american historical context... though at that point it was considered much like the idea of hobgoblins enslaving say, goblins... which are less intelligent, not as organized/industrious etc. Basically a slavery of the species rather than of someone of your own species yet a different 'race'.

Not saying that is an accurate comparison, just stating that the views were similar. Europeans had similar views of africans at the time, whether they were misguided/incorrect or not is to debate another issue.

In the pure debate of slavery as an institution/idea... you have to seperate it from the context of other issues, such as racism.

Slavery, standing alone, is a social issue of status and class in society... so the real debate is not whether you believe in racism/speciesism or such other social systems... but whether you believe in such gulfs in social equality between people, and whether you think the person who believes such things can/should exist is 'evil' simply for believing so... totally aside from a debate about the manner in which some peoples/states have executed the practice in history.

I really would like to say more, yet work calls... I'll try and catch up a bit later.
V/R,

Dark

pblackcrow
Champion

So far no one has argued against haracters of good alinement owning them, so I would say that the rules need changing just a bit.

So move it up to FAQs.

Slaves do have some rights, semi-somewhat in some of the uh better relms.

Zombies however don't exactly have much choice. Anyway, them and golems they are used be people of both good and evil alinments.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
gaby
Knight

How will Palladium world be in it,s 19th Century?

Unread post by gaby »

What will be the leding Nation-state in Palladium for that Century?

What will have a Civil war like the US did in that time?
pblackcrow
Champion

Tooniac,

Basically, that's what happened to my character in a D&D game!
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Chamalkan wrote:<snip>They have been given a chance to earn their freedom and they are "policing their own", keeping each other honest so that Gorgul has no reason to go back on the deal.

Wellll...are you forgetting the one that has the panty fetish? :lol:

Chamalkan wrote:Gorgul has every intention of fufilling his promice to them, but he suspects that by the end of the duration, they may develop a loyalty to the ship so strong that they could opt to stay on with his crew.

Ah...the annoying part of having an Honour Code... ;)

Chamalkan wrote:Gorgul's philosophy when it comes to slavery is "The Best slaves of all are the ones that believe themselves free."

HEY!!! That's called a priest, uh... :oops: :lol:
Incidentally...that describes all the player characters in the party...more or less. :D

One note that many will dispute, but anyway...

In some cultures, slaves were paid a salary. One of the differences is they were paid a pittance compared to what a tradesperson would earn in a similar position. A second is that the free(wo)man has/had the option of not performing the work for whatever reason - the slave can NOT refuse to serve - atleast without putting life and limb at risk!
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
Yukon
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Yukon »

not a palladium player, but remember RPGs have a huge advantage over real life.
a role playing game has set standards for determining intelligence, willpower, and other aspects of a species.
in real life there is no certain way to determine that one race or another is "superior". when the whiteys found the tribal africans living in huts with loin cloths etc, they were sure that they found a subhuman race.
now, in the present real world most people agree that no races are superior or inferior, and exist for the purpose of slavery.

but in a game, the rules set forth may say that orcs, goblins, etc are not human and humans are "special", just as those white folks thought they were special so many years ago.
we can actually point to a number, and say, "see, the average IQ is less than a human's. or whatever stats or rules you can use to compare. facts can be used to support whether humans are better than other races/ species in the palladium world. in the real world its all opinions and conjecture.
Tyciol wrote:In fact, many of these powers seem pretty useless except for neat ways of thinking of killing civilians.
UR Leader Hobbes
Adventurer

Unread post by UR Leader Hobbes »

Ahh but consider where those slaves more then likely came from. Rember the Orcs have an empire in the Yin Sloth Jungles that they can flee to..

So an escape slave with a brand in the empire may not be as uncommon as you think.. Afterall what orc is gonna turn in a kinsmen over to the empire that enslaves his or her people?

They would run the risk of ending up a slave themselves..
pblackcrow
Champion

And then there's indentured slaves...Who are treated good, feed, clothed, taught a trade, and lodged. I am not saying it was always so. They were the ones who didn't give up their citicenship.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
pblackcrow
Champion

Re: Slavery: Inherrently Evil? I think not.

malefic wrote:The comparison to pets is not relevant. I just cannot argue with the type of ignorance that can only be the product of higher education so I will give you a simple litmus test that you can apply. It may sound cheesy or hokey but then it is coming from a simple minded person like myself. It is a little thing people call "Putting yourself in the other persons shoes" Imagine if someone were to come up behind you while you were waxing philosophic on the internet message boards and knock you in the head, bind you and drag you away from your family off to some foreign locale. While you are being whipped into shape and made to do other things against your will, regardless of whether or not you were treated with a modicum of respect, could you could still sit back and reasonably argue that slavery is okay since in the new region you were taken to it is socially acceptable?

IT IS A GAME, AND IN THE MIDDLE AGES AND BEFORE, IT WAS SOCIALLY ACCEPTABLE!!! Shesh!!! We aren't talking modern day or even real life!
Ankh, udja, seneb.
pblackcrow
Champion

Re: Slavery: Inherrently Evil? I think not.

malefic wrote:It is commonly assumed that people in the past were not nearly as enlightnened or advanced as we are now. I suppose you are correct technologically speaking but that is about it. And your comparison to the game and the "middle ages" or even medieval society is not wholly correct either given the prevalence of magic and of centuries old cultures. Regardless you seem to be getting a little bit excited about the whole thing.

True...The middle ages had surfs to work for them. And with the magic in the world you could do a lot of things yourself. But still, look at it a bit differently.

Example: The squire or page is a servent to a knight or king. It can be quite good for them to be serverts.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Veknironth
Hero

Well, another way to look at is if you try to imagine the future. There are plenty of things that we do now and think of as common place and natural that future generations will consider barbaric, savage, and wrong. Will they be right?

-Vek
"Not a proponent of slavery, by the way."
Astroconch
D-Bee

Unread post by Astroconch »

Would you not consider slavery a kind of torture? I think it would fall under that. I myself no matter how they treated me just the fact that I was a slave would be torture to me, and do you think trying to help slaves get out of slavery would fall under always help others?
Last edited by Astroconch on Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Long live the Travelers!

"Some things just aren't funny. Beatings aren't funny. Mimes
aren't funny. But beating a mime - why is that so hilarious?"
-- Dave Attell
pblackcrow
Champion

Astroconch wrote:Would you not consider slavery a kind of torture? I think it would fall under that. I myself no matter how they treated me just the fact that I was a slave would be torture to me, and do you think trying to help slaves get out of slavery would fall under always help others?

If the master is mean and abusive, then probably so. But you have to think about it logically.

Zombies are an etrunal sort of slave. Yet you don't see anyone trying to free them, do you?
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Veknironth
Hero

Well, I could see some of the more chivalrous characters, of good alignment, would not be concerned by slavery. It's just someone's station in life. It's awful for the slave, but then againit's also awful for the peasant who has to eke out a living wthout any vassals or serfs to work the land for him. This character will not really be concerned by the slaves plight but will still be a good aligned character. What we consider to be good or right is not what the Palladium characters will consider good or right. They won't have our values, necessarily. For example, a Troll could be principled but still be a cannibal. He doesn't consider it to be wrong to eat the flesh of his vanquished enemies.

-Vek
"The opinions of Trolls, Knights, and other fictional characters are not necessarily the opinions of Veknironth or any of hsi subsidaries."
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

SunRunner wrote:[
Historically speaking, there were a good number of situations where rape was required by law ... or at least allowed. A nobleman in the middle ages, europe, was allowed to do as they pleased with "their" peasants; as an example.

Don't go there please : it's not that they were allowed by law or anything, they just had the power, and the peasants had no recourse ... they could hardly try to get justice from their lord's suzerain as a) they had neither the time or personal resources to do so, nor anybody to support them at the suzerain's court in their endeavour to get an audience and to bolster their case (heck, even if the lord had foes at the suzerain's court who'd help the peasant out of spite, how did they know that?) b) even if they managed to get the suzerain's ear, what's the likelihood of him nailing a valuable vassal just over the complaints of a lowly peasant? great for getting the love of the peasantry, once the story got around, but perfect recipe for disloyalty among your vassal power base at best, for armed rebellion on the part of your vassals at worst...

And By the way, "Good" , Courteous, knights and lords would not stoop to that ... unless the peasant wench was willing ... (of course, when you don't know if you'll not get raped outright anyway, saying yes is always a good idea, lessens the likelihood of getting one's throat slit afterwards) ... thoug robber barons, black knights and all maners of soldiers would indulge... not for nothing is the french "soudard" (an old for for soldier) such a derogatory term
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
Astroconch
D-Bee

Blah! :P How is that for contributing slappy :-D
Long live the Travelers!

-- Dave Attell
pblackcrow
Champion

GUYS, LOOK!!! It is up to the GM to decide if good people would own slaves. This is my oppenion on it...Yes, they should be aloud to if the grew up around it, and they were taught it. Also, if it is part of a debt that must be worked off. Or like a guildsman, whom teaches said person a trade in return they must work for them for x amount of time at no pay except for food and shelter, if needed. Okay? That's basically it. But they must treat their slaves with as much dignety and respect as they would treat anyone.

Slavery is wrong, but back in the dark ages and even farther back in time, it was a fact of life. Both good and bad people owned them. Knights could own up to 10 pages and 5 squires at a time, either appointed by a king or taken by the knight. But the knight was to teach them a trade...Was it slavery, yes; it was because a page and squire could be beat, rape, even killed by their masters. If they died, all the knight had to do is pay componsation to the family.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

Sorry theru... I just can't agree with you fully.
therumancer wrote: The whole idea of "we have slaves, but we'll treat them humanely" is pretty much a joke.

There *have* been societies which did have slaves, but where the slave, though unfree, was treated as just another guy, not a piece of chattel. The Norse come to mind... In the Norse world, the free men went away on trade and raiding trips while the thralls stayed at the farm to do the agricultural world under the supervision of the women... needless to say, they had better not be unhappy with their lot, else you would find the farm deserted on coming back, or perhaps even taken over... and it that setting, even a thrall had a rather easy way of earning enough money, or his master's gratitude, that he could be free again, and once he was, he was a freeman like all others, none of that freeDman gunk the romans had.
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
Astroconch
D-Bee

Dezolis wrote:Heh.

I think it's funny when people like Tooniac and Malefic act like tough guys on the internet. "Woo, look at us put you down, aren't we cooool".

Grow up, guys. Seriously. We're all having a mature discussion, there's no need to be childish and rude.

No your having a mature discussion, the rest of us are just laughing and poking fun at the amount of BS you so called mature ones are spouting off. :P
Long live the Travelers!

-- Dave Attell
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

FWIW, I'm currently working on an article about slavery in the Palladium world.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
pblackcrow
Champion

MrNexx wrote:FWIW, I'm currently working on an article about slavery in the Palladium world.

COOL. Uh, is it going to be a web site artical or for the rifter?
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Library Ogre

pblackcrow wrote:
MrNexx wrote:FWIW, I'm currently working on an article about slavery in the Palladium world.

COOL. Uh, is it going to be a web site artical or for the rifter?

Rifter submission that'll go up on the web; but, with the work on MoM, it'll be a bit.

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
GA
Explorer
Comment: Master of Dirk Diggler Style

Unread post by GA »

I've seen this thread for some time and avoided it. I must say I am alarmed at all these people who seem to think slavery is some neutral or possibly even good practice. Slavery is evil. I mean I pretty much accept this at face value. It lacks empathy. Slavery is not a class issue or a prisoner issue. It is fundamentally at its core one person taking another person's freedom away, usually through no fault of the enslaved person. It is not a contract where one agrees to surrender his freedom for some benefit. Hell we all do that when we go to work everyday. It is not a prisoner issue where someone has commited some wrong against a society and is now making amends or being punished. It is not an indentured servitude issue where someone signs a contract to perform work for a certain amount of years in exchange for something. It is not a class issue. Even the poorest serf can leave his land in theory without fear or legal reprisals. Slavery pretty much is you are going to do something for me as long as I can force you too. Slavery is I am better than you because I can enslave you. It amazes me that people can live in the 21st century where the only societies on Earth that still practice slavery are the worst and poorest ones on the planet and not see slavery for what it is a barbaric practice. "The abuse of slavery?" Slavery is an abuse no matter how "good" it is.

Now I can talk about slavery in terms of Palladium terms and maybe later on I will but at the moment I am too disgusted by these so called "reasonable" rationalizations from so many people on this thread of one of man's worst practices.
You kill my dog I'ma slay yo cat-Flava Flav, Terminator X to the Edge of Panic, 1988
A man's gotta know his limitations-Dirty Harry, Magnum Force, 1973
No good deed goes unpunished-Clare Booth Luce
Library Ogre

GA wrote:Slavery is evil. I mean I pretty much accept this at face value. It lacks empathy. Slavery is not a class issue or a prisoner issue. It is fundamentally at its core one person taking another person's freedom away, usually through no fault of the enslaved person.

It is also often the only option instead of killing all the women, children, and old men... or having them come back in 15 years and kill your people (assuming they survive without the warriors you've conveniently slaughtered in war).

Even the poorest serf can leave his land in theory without fear or legal reprisals.

No, they cannot. A serf who leaves the land they are beholden to is a runaway, and, if caught, will be dragged back. They have some rights but, then, so do some varieties of slaves.

Slavery pretty much is you are going to do something for me as long as I can force you too. Slavery is I am better than you because I can enslave you.

Are you familiar with any form of slavery except Arabic/American chattel slavery? There was a fairly wide variety throughout history.

For instance, you had Greek scholars in the Roman era who would sell themselves into slavery. That's right, sell themselves. Why? Because they got to keep the money from the sale, and, being scholars, they were in great demand in Roman households as tutors. They would be purchased and set to work as part of the household, teaching the children of the (wealthy) household. In the meantime, they had their own money to invest, spend, and do with as they pleased. They traded the freedom to scrape by on what they could make pedagouging in the marketplaces for merchant children for the security of a rich home.

Of course, then there were thralls amongst the Norse. Thralls had a hard life, that can't be denied... but, then, so did everyone. And, of course, thralls could (and regularly did) earn their freedom, or earn freedom for their children. If injured or killed, a thrall had a value, which had to be paid, just as a free man did. A thrall also had claims upon the one who owned him for damages, protection, and provender.

Let's not forget the reason we have the word "slave" in the first place... the Slavs, who formed the backbone of North African armies. They were well-treated because they were the ones the Caliphs could trust. Owned, yes. However, they were far different from the sugar-cane slaves of Zanzibar.

All Palladium Articles
GA
Explorer

Unread post by GA »

All the slavery examples given here seem to be based on prisoners, or indentured servitude, or some sort of contract. The word slave may be applied but it is not applicable because these examples are usually refering to consentual arrangements. If someone consents to being a slave for financial reward or some tangible benefit I do not consider them a slave. I don't think any normal person would. And my arguments are not based on any historical context. I am talking about slavery as an institution and in general and you know damn well what I am talking about so don't try and muddy the issue with historical arguments for slavery.
Last edited by GA on Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You kill my dog I'ma slay yo cat-Flava Flav, Terminator X to the Edge of Panic, 1988
Library Ogre

GA wrote:All the slavery examples given here seem to be based on prisoners, or indentured servitude, or some sort of contract. The word slave may be applied but it is not applicable because these examples are usually refering to consentual arrangements. If someone consents to being a slave for financial reward or some tangible benefit I do not consider them a slave. I don't think any normal person would. And my arguments are not based on any historical context. I am talking about slavery as an institution and general and you know damn well what I am talking about so don't try and muddy the issue with historical arguments for slavery.

Short version: "I know I'm right! Don't confuse the issue with your facts!"

You are using your own personal definition of slave. You are getting offended at everyone else talking about it because we're not using your definition of slave. Then, when we point out other kinds of slavery that do not fit into your neat definition, you tell us we're "muddying the issue with historical arguments for slavery."

Greek scholars selling themselves for security, thralls, and the Slavic slave-soldiers. These aren't historical arguments for slavery. These are historical examples OF slavery. Greek scholars who were owned were slaves, and could be legally beaten, flogged, crucified, or simply have their throats cut by their owners. Thralls, despite having some rights, also had a huge number of restrictions on their freedoms that others did not, and had a miniscule portion of perceived honor in a society where that was an integral part of life. And the Slavic slave soldiers were out-and-out owned slaves, purchased because their owners didn't trust their subjects to guard them. Their benefit in many cases was that they had protection in a society that would quite willingly bugger them... but that protection came because they were someone's property.

Any discussion of slavery as a concept which limits itself to the form of chattel slavery that America got from the Muslims is a flawed one. That is not the only form of slavery, your personal definitions of the concept aside.

All Palladium Articles
GA
Explorer

Unread post by GA »

I find it ironic you accuse me of willful ignorance on this topic.

I didn't want to get into in some shouting match, which is one of the reasons I ignored this post originally so this will be my last comment on this thread.

There are always people who will try and take an argument to the furthest extent it can go. Usually at the beginning I find this somewhat interesting but after awhile it just gets annoying and usually ends up as an academic exercise ending up in a useless place beyond and unapplicable to any sort of human decency or common sense.

The example you gave of greek scholars I think is disingenuous. Most people nowadays would consider such a person not as a slave but as some sort of contractor, perhaps similar to a private tutor, butler or nanny. You know this, or at least I would think you should know this. Yet you point it out as an example of slavery where most people wouldn't. While such arguing of what slavery was may be interesting from a historical context it is not what most contemporary people consider to be slavery. I consider a slave what I have just prior to this post someone whose freedom is taken away through no fault of their own. That is my definition of slavery and I would apply such a definition to any person(s) or society which engages in it past or present. I think the original question asked in this post was in the spirit of my definition.

Your argument to my defintion seemed to be well its better than killing them which really is no argument at all against my definition of slavery. Not to mention the fact that the idea that the only choices are you either kill or enslave a defeated foe as if these are the only acceptable alternatives...jesus. Lucky for the Germans and Japanese we don't still believe that.

Then you say I have no idea of what slavery is because I don't understand it from a historical context, which again is not a valid argument against my definition of slavery. It may be an argument against what slavery WAS but I did not engage in specualtion of what slavery was. I only commented on what slavery IS, as I understand it, irrespective of any historical context..

Based on alignments and the conditions of slavery presented in the palladium world as I understand it, Which is obviously of people and monsters who do not want to be in that condition, I would say no on this topic and in response to the original post because "Life and freedom are the highest priority" for principled and scrupulous alignments, at least according to Page 23 of Palladium Fantasy. A slave is obviously not free so a scrupulous or principled character could not own slaves.

Now if you are asking could a "good" person own slaves, and sort of ignoring the alignments (which may not apply to what most people consider good and evil) then the answer gets trickier. Slavery, by my definition, is always bad. But a relatively good person might still engage in it. This is kind of how I see Washington and Jefferson. Slaveowners but they were for the most part good men. Now if you interject historical modes of slavery such as the thralls and the greek scholars which most modern people would probably not consider slaves than slavery might indeed be a neutral practice and a scrupulous or principled alignment might engage in slavery. It would ultimately depend on the level of freedom the slave has in accordance with the free population. And I suppose whether the slave is more or less content in his social status. But again this is defintely not the system as it is presented in the Palladium Fantasy books and would be a GM reinterpretation..
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

GA wrote:Then you say I have no idea of what slavery is because I don't understand it from a historical context, which again is not a valid argument against my definition of slavery. It may be an argument against what slavery WAS but I did not engage in specualtion of what slavery was. I only commented on what slavery IS, as I understand it, irrespective of any historical context..

Your defintion and thus your understanding is flawed. Why should we humor a definition of slavery as basis for argument if it's incorrect?

"I'm right if you ignore the truth and just go with my preconceptions!"
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

yes , good alignments could have slaves, just they would treat them better and maybe have them work their way out of debt.
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Library Ogre

GA wrote:The example you gave of greek scholars I think is disingenuous. Most people nowadays would consider such a person not as a slave but as some sort of contractor, perhaps similar to a private tutor, butler or nanny. You know this, or at least I would think you should know this. Yet you point it out as an example of slavery where most people wouldn't.

Roman law considered that person a slave. Roman society considered that person a slave; a high-value slave, yes, but a slave. Whether you, or even modern society, would consider him a slave or not is irrelevant because he was a slave. Your ethnocentrism is appalling when considering a historical argument. It is simply silly when applied to a fantasy milleu, especially in the case of cross-species slavery... a phenomenom which the current definition of slavery only embraces if you're a member of PETA.

I think the original question asked in this post was in the spirit of my definition.

Are you the original poster? Let's look at what was actually said in the original question.

The guy who started this wrote:Do you play that characters of a good alignment own/buy slaves?

Personally I don't see why they wouldn't. I think it's simply a matter of perspective. I doubt the people of the Palladium wolrd (Well humans anyway) see slaverey as an evil practice.

Afterall much of human history is filled with long history of slavery. Like ancient Egypt, Rome and all over the Mideast.

When I think about the fact that slavery was practiced in ancient Egypt. I have to wonder if the churches of the world condone it's practice.

In truth I would expect even most principaled Knights to own slaves. Considering that they tend to be wealthy land owners, it seems almost right that they lord over the populace and enslave the enemies of his or her fifedom.

Heck in midevil europe a knight with a surfdom literally owned every thing and EVERYONE on his lands. This means every man, woman and child living on the properity went with the title.

What do you guys think? Are there any gods or socieities in PFRPG that would not allow or practice slaverey?

Now, there's some ignorance (and atrocious spelling) there. However, look at the parts I bolded. The original question in this thread said absolutely nothing about modern definitions of slavery. In fact, all he considered was historical context for slavery.

Your argument to my defintion seemed to be well its better than killing them which really is no argument at all against my definition of slavery. Not to mention the fact that the idea that the only choices are you either kill or enslave a defeated foe as if these are the only acceptable alternatives...jesus. Lucky for the Germans and Japanese we don't still believe that.

You remember World War I? The Treaty of Versailles that ended it? The German leadership in World War II certainly made sure that the German people did.

After World War II, the Allies took a fourth option road aside from "kill 'em all", "enslave who remains" and "let them contemplate how much they hate us." They chose to rebuild their shattered economies and governments to try and reduce any lingering hostility, without committing genocide or mass enslavement. However, that's only possible when you, yourself, have a certain level of prosperity. When your country is nearly destroyed, and you can't afford to invest heavily in repairing infrastructure, leave behind a residual force for 50 years, and encourage healthy nation-building, you're back to those three choices (if, indeed, your society has ever conceived of anything beyond those three choices)... kill, enslave, or let them hate you.

Then you say I have no idea of what slavery is because I don't understand it from a historical context, which again is not a valid argument against my definition of slavery. It may be an argument against what slavery WAS but I did not engage in specualtion of what slavery was. I only commented on what slavery IS, as I understand it, irrespective of any historical context..

It's much easier to argue when you define a the opposition's arguments for them, isn't it?

I never said you had no idea what slavery is because your don't understand it from a historical context. I said your argument is flawed... meaning that saying "slavery can't be X" when you are only including one of many kinds of slavery in your definition of slavery is a flawed argument. It is as if I were to say "Mead isn't wine. Everyone knows wine is made from grapes; since mead is made from honey, it can't be wine." Sure, if you ask most people what wine is made from, they're going to tell you grapes... but if you ask someone who actually knows wine if mead is a kind of wine, they're going to tell you yes.

Based on alignments and the conditions of slavery presented in the palladium world as I understand it, Which is obviously of people and monsters who do not want to be in that condition, I would say no on this topic and in response to the original post because "Life and freedom are the highest priority" for principled and scrupulous alignments, at least according to Page 23 of Palladium Fantasy. A slave is obviously not free so a scrupulous or principled character could not own slaves.

Bullocks.

First of all, Principled contains not such line as "Life and Freedom are the highest priority" In fact, it is right within principled (who have absolutely nothing in their alignment about freedom, but about law and authority) to own slaves if it is legal to do so... and to treat them kindly.

Now, Scrupulous characters would probably not, under usual circumstances, own slaves... "Scrupulous characters value life and freedom above all else, and despise those who would deprive other of them." However, which is going to take priority... saving a life, by buying a slave (or owning a slave), or taking someone's freedom away? I doubt there are many Scrupulous characters who would rather die than own a slave, if it means that the slave, too, will die (or be enslaved to someone else).

Now if you are asking could a "good" person own slaves, and sort of ignoring the alignments (which may not apply to what most people consider good and evil) then the answer gets trickier. Slavery, by my definition, is always bad. But a relatively good person might still engage in it. This is kind of how I see Washington and Jefferson. Slaveowners but they were for the most part good men.

The first question in their case is, actually, "Did they consider their slaves full people?" The prevailing attitude of the time, especially in Virginia was to consider them as somewhat sub-people... not quite animals, but not fully human.

Now imagine that, instead of a different skin tone, they'd had inhuman strength and tusks. Some of them may resemble dogs, or have the hindquarters of horses.

But again this is defintely not the system as it is presented in the Palladium Fantasy books and would be a GM reinterpretation..

But, then, we also aren't given a clear look at slavery in Palladium. We're given a look at the "sexy", adventureable parts of slavery. It's great fun to beat up slavers and return people to their homes. What do you do when the problem is a farmer selling his children one at a time, so he can feed the others? What do you do about a man who willingly sells himself into slavery in the hopes of a better life? That's not heroic adventuring... that's the seedy side of life that can be expanded upon, but hasn't been touched in our last hiatus.

All Palladium Articles
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

Geronimo 2.0 wrote:It's a simple thing to figure out.. how would you like to be a slave?
How would you like not being able to choose where you live, how you live, what you do with your life?
Would you want to have NO choices, only Masters' commands?

Been there, done that, as did my father and my grandfathers...course i was the only one to actually volunteer (by the time i came around they abolished the draft.) get my point? the military is a form of slavery...you become government property for the duration of your hitch... all in all it was a pleasant life...and an education...would i do it again? you betcha and this time around i prolly wouldnt refuse re-enlistment...(had i stayed i could be retiring now....) slavery is neither inherently right or wrong...it merely is... how a slave is treated is what creates a good or evil mark on our souls...
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Xynar
Wanderer

Unread post by Xynar »

I'm concerned about cost. Prices for slaves in the game world. Has anyone worked out the average for a few different races or duties (gladiator, farm hand, etc.) with different thoughts on age and attributes?
Xynar
The Great Adventurer
Library Ogre

Xynar wrote:I'm concerned about cost. Prices for slaves in the game world. Has anyone worked out the average for a few different races or duties (gladiator, farm hand, etc.) with different thoughts on age and attributes?

I'm actually working on some of this for a Rifter article.

As for the idea that slavery being evil started here in the states, that's wrong. France, England, and other European nations outlawed slavery for moral reasons long before the States did.

All Palladium Articles
ShadowHawk
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Slaverey in the Palladium World

Unread post by ShadowHawk »

Interesting discussion, up until all of the negativity and stuff that has NOTHING TO DO WITH GAMING more to do with their own points of view on the topic really.

Maybe it's just me, but it is the fact that it gives homeless people homes, food, skills. And also it gave jobless skilled people work, in the case of indentured. Also in the case of the indentured ones, they had to ask for permission to do things, but in most cases were given the rights to go places and do things. Heck, accounts are made of an indentured man being permitted to merry the bosses daughter in the ancient world.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

rise, riSE, RISE ye olde dead poste and walk amongst the living again, I command thee in the name of Domino's Pizza
pblackcrow
Champion

LOL. Leave it to Shawn. Well, he had a point. We were calmly discussing the topic.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
ShadowHawk
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by ShadowHawk »

LOL!!!
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

I figure in game if someone in an unwarranted way assaults you enough that most people would have grounds to kill them in self-defense and you manage to capture them instead that it is perfectly okay to enslave them since they owe you their life now.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
ronekiln
Wanderer

Unread post by ronekiln »

In my games, we try to play epic heroes.

How many of us want our heroes to condone or support slavery?

How many of us want our heroes to champion the ideals we really believe in?

I am not going to condemn a person raised in a society with slavery, that treats their slaves like family. I don't agree with it and may condemn the practice, but I won't condemn them as people. So sure, I can argue a good person could have slaves if they are from that society. But I do not role-play to engage in exercises of moral relativism. I role-play to be a hero.

Who and what do you want your heroes to be? Do you really want them to be slave owners?

I don't. I want them to be heroes in my eyes and my playing group eyes. I want to be able to tell the stories I have helped create with pride and not worry about possibly offending someone that may have good cause to be touchy about the subject.

I appreciate the exception of the ship captain that liberated the orcs and made them indentured servants on track to earn their freedom and training.
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Re:

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

duck-foot wrote:If anybody wants a good idea of what a slave is then read up on Rome. Skin color didnt matter black, white all were equally worth as slaves to get down on thier hands and knees and do whatever is required. to have no freedoms, no rights no voice or oppinion. to kill a slave is destroy property not murder. anyhow enough of that just look it up online.

Don't start and end with Rome.
Also look up how slaves were treated in every society on earth.
Some were better off than a lot of free people in some societies, and with some you really couldn't tell the difference.
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”