Time of a Thousand Magicks

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Time of a Thousand Magicks

Unread post by Whiskeyjack »

I started puttering around with my writings on the time period again. My hope is to develop some of the various kingdoms as well as their areas of influence to give some more ideas of where ruins may be found in the world, as well as what treasures (and traps) are available to intrepid explorers.
Below are what I have so far for the kingdoms I'm working on.

Garnalli Islands: Home to the Garnalli Clan of Atlanteans, they occupied the Southern Island chain and had diplomatic relations with several Southern Kingdoms. A magical plague eventually wiped them out. Specialized in pyramid, stone and tattoo magic.
Population was mostly Atlantean, with some Elves, Gnomes and Titans.

Varameer: A kingdom located in present day Land of the South Winds, the Kindgdom of Varameer was a very selfish kingdom that always put their own desires first. This led to constant conflict with the Alserian Confederacy. Varameer specialized in transformative magics, both for objects transforming onto other objects, and items that allowed people to transform into other things. Their crown achievement were the Dragon Swords of Varameer which also brought about the kingdoms eventual destruction.
Population was made up of Lizard Mages, many giants, Syvan, Elves and many Orc and human slaves.

Alserian Confederacy: Located in present day Timiro. An altruistic alliance of several city states that had constant skirmishes with Varameer. Eventually the two went to war, and the Alserian Confederacy lost leading to its dissolution. Haven't decided on a magic type yet.
Population was mostly Elves, Gnomes, Titans with some Atlanteans and a small number of human barbarians.

Crystal Kingdoms: Located in what would become known as the New Kingdom Mountains, South of the New Kingdom River. Created psionic magic devices of many types. Were in a constant state of war with the Gromek Empire.
Population consisted of Changelings, Elves, Rahu-Men, Gnomes and Dragon Wolves.

Gromek Empire: Located in the New Kingdom Mountains, North of the New Kingdom River. Life Force Wizardry was the main magic used, although summoning was also very popular. The Gromek constantly pushed against the Crystal Kingdoms to try and expand their domain.
Population, Gromek with a large slave force of Orcs and Kobolds.

Cities of the Circle: A collection of city states that used giant circles to protect their cities and farmlands. Located in the Eastern area of the Western Empire. The Church of Light had a strong presence here.
Population was mostly Elves, Gnomes, Titans, Rahu-men and Ramen. Human barbarians were a constant scourge attacking from the West.

The Wild Lands: Located in the Northern Eastern Territory, these lands had no direct ruler, but were filled with nomadic tribes that practiced various wilderness magics. Druids, Warlocks, and long forgotten plant and animal magics ruled here.
Population was a wide mix of Elves, Gnomes, Danzi, Centaurs, Faeries as well as some of the canine races during harsh winters.

The Shadow States: Located on the Eastern side of the Shattered Mountains, this kingdom specialized in Shadow Magic. Each city was ruled by the most powerful Shadow Mage until she was overthrown by a new contender. While the kingdoms as a whole were less than honourable, there were still many heroes produced in this kingdom. The Church of Dark held a lot of power in the kingdom.
Population was mostly Elves, Lizard Mages, Syvan and Tautons with many orc slaves.

That's what I've started with. Anyone else have ideas for other kingdoms during this period?
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Re: Time of a Thousand Magicks

Unread post by kiralon »

I have the remnant moving east out of the northern land of the damned mountains and they lay the foundation for the Ophidian Clans. My Palladium has the Ophids grasslands controlled by wild horse clansman, somewhat a mix of mongol and knight, except that the horses are faerie horses from the garrison (just like the original people from the garrison). The Horses are actually the ones who run the kingdom with their humanoid partner, so there is effectively a king and queen horse and king and queen people, but the horses have the final say but do normally listen to their partners. The Horses from Ophids are the best in the world and aren't usually for sale. "Dumb" horses also roam the plains (but they are smarter than normal horses) and come in non standard colours including gold and silver. 1 in 10 humanoids can bond properly with an Ophidian Horse (Need to roll master psionics which is then "used" up creating the bond) and the humanoid effectively becomes the horses familiar but it goes both ways with both sides getting bonuses, and each bloodline of the clans are better at certain things.

Troglodyte Masters: The Trog masters had big deep underground kingdoms, and were masters of earth magic and could even talk to the very rocks themselves. However something happened, the city caverns collapsed and the Trogs reverted back to being tribal. The Trogs dug to deep and awoke an enemy that hunts them in their barrows and are trog scary tales told to bad trog children to scare them. It was said you could follow a trog superhighway and get from the south of the continent to the north of the continent without seeing the sky.

MistWraiths: The guys who killed off the trogs and made the trogs seal their caverns trying to stop their spread. These guys are made out of mist and are unusually angry (being air based) being that they have been trapped away from the sky for millennia after helping the old ones by being almost unseen assassins.

The Old Forest, a large stretch of forest in the great northern wilderness that is sort of the Oak forest version of the yin sloth jungles. The forests border changes, and people who go too far in or at night tend to not come back. Lots of antihumanity stuff that is goodish or aberrant and want their days of glory back.
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Unread post by Whiskeyjack »

Those are some cool ideas. I have a similar area North of Yin Sloth in the grasslands that has humans who ride therapod dinosaurs. The dinosaurs however are completely sentient, can speak and regularly use weapons, especially large curved swords.
Are your Mist Wraiths the same creatures that hinted the Balizad in the Balgor Wastelands?
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Jeez, I forgot about that, that is a cool tie in. But no, I was doing an underground adventure and needed some bad guys, so based them of one the creatures stuck in the ultimax deathstone from the first ed book.

But i'm going to now thank you.

But any extra info on time of a thousand magics is always welcome.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”