Alchemist question...

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

ShadowHawk
Dungeon Crawler

Alchemist question...

Unread post by ShadowHawk »

How many spells can be put on to 1 silver horseshoe?

Thank you ahead of time.

Shawn.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Re: Alchemist question...

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Not sure entirely what you mean. Do you mean spells locked in with permanency? Are you talking about enchantments?

For permanent spells, I'd say 1... it would be hard to make a horseshoe hold even 1 permanency ward, much less several.

For enchantments, I'd be inclined to say 4, like most weapons.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

ShadowHawk wrote:How many spells can be put on to 1 silver horseshoe?

Thank you ahead of time.

Shawn.

This seems like a strange thing to do.

For starters, why would you use silver for a horseshoe? That's a lot of silver, which is a soft metal that tarnishes and corrodes. It would be very expensive, and it wouldn't last long. I guess if you put some sort of spell on the silver to make it more durable, that could work. Is this meant to allow your horse to kick vampires and do damage? Or is this some kind of anti-faerie device that's meant to do a whole lot more besides?

Second, what's to stop that horseshoe from being stolen or lost? Horses aren't exactly burglar-proof, and even if the horseshoe is invincible, the hoof it attaches to isn't. Even without thievery, horseshoes fall off from time to time. When that horse randomly loses such a shoe, that's going to be one very expensive day.

Third, which enchantments would one wish to put on such a horseshoe, other than making it tougher and longer-lasting? Some kind of boots of speed for a horse? Such items exist in canon (see Rifts: England, the Scathach section).

I agree with Mark on both counts, but the discussion of enchantment limits is probably the least interesting aspect of this topic.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
ShadowHawk
Dungeon Crawler

Centaur actually. I am running the game...Not participating in it, so I am not very sure which spells he's wanting. But no, they are getting ready to go hunting for were creatures.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

ShadowHawk wrote:Centaur actually. I am running the game...Not participating in it, so I am not very sure which spells he's wanting. But no, they are getting ready to go hunting for were creatures.

Ok, that makes more sense then. The standard alchemist item enchantments would probably be the way to go. You might be able to enchant them with the Amulet spell or cast some kind of permanent spell on the shoe, but then the spell would be on the shoe only, not on the centaur. It could still be effective in a few cases, but it would be more effective to just sew some permanence wards on the centaur directly.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

I would suggest looking at Gryphon Claw gloves, or the various boots.
I am pretty sure that an Alchemist could make a Centaur versions of both in horseshoe variants.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

One horse shoe could be turned into a tailsman and charged with one spell (used 3x a day). Horseshoe doesn't need to be made out of sillver
which is a weak metal and consider its centaur, the horseshoe would be destroyed rather quickly as the centaur travels about the
wilderness.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Its more likely silver is so he can hurt were creatures with the front and back horse/centaur kick.

However magic horseshoes do the same as silver horseshoes. Get steel horseshoes and enchant them with a colour. Tada they are magic now and can hurt were creatures.

but for enchanting I'd just stick with the standard weapon enchant rules. (lol)
ShadowHawk
Dungeon Crawler

OK, on all 4 he wants indestructibility and colored to always match his hoofs. For the other 8 spells he has requested: superhuman endurance, negate poison/toxin, extinguish fire, time slip, greater healing, multiple images, invis. sup, and shadow meld. Then I figured I would toss a 5th spell in there since he is using silver, and silver is a conductor of magic energy in my games. So, I told him to give me 4 more. Telekinesis, charismatic aura, magic net, and carpet of adhesion. I ask him to please pick something other than Carpet, because I actually rolled very poorly on the Alchemist having it. He asked "How much tame beast cost, if he has that." I rolled, he had it, but it was too expensive for him. So, he asked for increase weight. I said "Sure."
ShadowHawk
Dungeon Crawler

However magic horseshoes do the same as silver horseshoes.

Yes, I know that. :demon:
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

As he wants indestructibility he wants the weapon enchantments (as that is the only place you can get that and it gives you 3 powers per device otherwise its 1 power per device for normal magic items and 4 for armour). Horseshoes could apply as any I guess but it wouldn't be a mix and match otherwise everyone would be running around with indestructible armour, so if they are all invulnerable I would limit him to weapon enchants only, and the colour choices don't have camouflage, but black would likely do the job. Otherwise I would limit him to one power per horseshoe as a standard magic item, and wouldn't allow rune weapon powers
ShadowHawk
Dungeon Crawler

You run your games your way, I run mine my way. I do the rule of cool.

I was going by what the author of Mysteries of Magic wrote, which was 4 spells per shoe...plus 1 because silver in my game is a conductor of magic energy. And by the way, the coloring was part of the list of spells. Notice, I said "the other 8 spells", not 12.

Shannon is a great player, and what he requested wasn't "over the top". Plus, since they are now going to be minus a healer for a few games while Alex fills in at work, I felt it wise that he picked the spells that he did. Because they will enable the game to progress a bit more quickly.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

I was just going by the book, 4 powers on armour, 3 on items and 3 on weapons. Each has their own list of powers which most of most of those powers aren't on. To get Indestructibility they have to come from the weapons list which means 3 powers each. I'm pretty sure mark mixed up number of armour enchantments and number of weapon enchantments. (Main book page 249)

Rule of cool certainly overrides, but that list of powers rivals/exceeds that of rune weapons.
Truth be told I'd treat the horseshoes as a set item (as that is generally how they are used rather than individually) like armour and not have the bits enchanted separately either, otherwise I'd get every individual piece of a full suit of armour enchanted so it contained 20+ spells.
The cost of those horse shoes would be millions.

It would be heaps cheaper to use scrolls and potions to do most of those, and also pickup a magic bag to carry them in and have leftovers for an environmental tent.
dreicunan
Hero

Unread post by dreicunan »

kiralon wrote:I was just going by the book, 4 powers on armour, 3 on items and 3 on weapons. Each has their own list of powers which most of most of those powers aren't on. To get Indestructibility they have to come from the weapons list which means 3 powers each. I'm pretty sure mark mixed up number of armour enchantments and number of weapon enchantments. (Main book page 249)

Rule of cool certainly overrides, but that list of powers rivals/exceeds that of rune weapons.
Truth be told I'd treat the horseshoes as a set item (as that is generally how they are used rather than individually) like armour and not have the bits enchanted separately either, otherwise I'd get every individual piece of a full suit of armour enchanted so it contained 20+ spells.
The cost of those horse shoes would be millions.

It would be heaps cheaper to use scrolls and potions to do most of those, and also pickup a magic bag to carry them in and have leftovers for an environmental tent.

"This link of my chainmail casts Armor of Ithan. This link lets me cast Breathe without Air. This link is either Sphere of Annihilation or Heal Wounds, I can never remember. This link is Eyes of Thoth. The next link is..."
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
ShadowHawk
Dungeon Crawler

kiralon wrote:The cost of those horse shoes would be millions.

Yeap, agreed. However, it's his money and he can spend it however he wants. Plus, it keeps me from rolling on another of his investments.
Spoiler:
Honestly, this centaur has enough connections and followers to take over a large "city/state", OR START ONE. While the others were spending money to enhance their characters, he spent a majority of his time and money investing, charity, and on doing public relation stuff. Things to endear him to the people and keep the slavers hands off of him.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

I can't say I haven't made items like that but I wouldn't make them available from an alchemist, because that means everyone can do it. As its out of the normal rules I'd make them one offs so if he loses them they are gone forever. Make them a gift from a god who wants him to go build a church in the old kingdom, or go raise a mercenary army in Llorn to help with a holy war against the giants or demons that are somehow escaping the LOTD. Or start the war between the middle kingdoms and the empire. That sort of fun stuff.
ShadowHawk
Dungeon Crawler

I think that is a bit excessive! And it is a bit late for all that, Bud. LOL

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”