Magic arrows

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Magic arrows

Unread post by Whiskeyjack »

I'm looking for some ideas for magical or specialized arrows. Quite a few characters in my current campaign are armed with bows.
So far I have:
Yellow wood (+1D6 damage, half range)
Undead slaying (inflict 3D6 damage to undead and necromancers)
Necro arrows (made from bone and burrow into their target after hitting)
Arrows of flight (double range)
Terror arrows (whistling arrows that inflict fear)
Ice arrows (if fail to save vs magic, target is temporarily encased in ice)

What other types have people come up with? I have to create a fire one obviously, but would love some additional ideas.
Prysus
Champion

Re: Magic arrows

Unread post by Prysus »

Whiskeyjack wrote:I'm looking for some ideas for magical or specialized arrows. Quite a few characters in my current campaign are armed with bows.
So far I have:

What other types have people come up with? I have to create a fire one obviously, but would love some additional ideas.

Greetings and Salutations. An official source people sometime miss are the Dragon Bone arrows in Dragons & Gods (towards the back, with the other Dragon Bone items).

For unofficial sources, a few ideas I was toying around with while writing my Of Bows & Arrows article (Rifter #45). I dropped the section because I decided it wasn't necessary for what I wanted to accomplish, so I never fleshed the ideas out or added more of types.

Burst Arrow: Once fired from the bow the arrow instantly ignites in flames. The arrow itself is impervious to fire and deals an extra die of damage (1D6) from the flames. Cost: 20,000 gold.
Hail of Arrows: An arrow that works by firing it into the air. Once over the desired target (mentally commanded) the arrow bursts into a barrage of ice arrows which hurl down from the sky. These 2D6 arrows will hit everything within a 10 foot (3 m) radius, but the ground the archer is standing will always be magically protected. Three times daily, requires a 16 or higher to dodge. Maximum range: 120 feet (36.5 m). Cost: 75,000 gold.
Unwavering Arrow: +3 to strike and +100 feet (30.5 m) to range. Cost: 30,000 gold.

Another section cut, but one I did flesh out more, is custom arrows. These are mundane options for varying types of woods and arrowheads, but I felt this concept was too valuable to not finish. This can be found on my site here:

http://www.prysus.com/weapon_customized_arrows.htm

I did this for someone in a different thread once, but Millennium Bows & Arrows (from the trees):

http://www.prysus.com/weapon_millennium_bowarrow.htm

Hope some of those help. Farewell and safe journeys for now.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well from canon, there are the Cyclops lightning arrows. They're awfully expensive, but they sure do a lot of damage. They're on Adventures on the High Seas p104. If someone could post the link to Hotrod's non magic weapon post, there are a bunch of ideas as to how to take canon material and make super weapons. Many of the ideas can be adapted to arrows and arrow heads. I'd also expect that an alchemist could make any magic weapon effect onto an arrow. Again, expensive, but it could be done.

-Vek
"Who won that non-magic weapon contest anyway?"
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Hey Prysus. Somehow I had completely forgotten about the dragon bone arrows, even though one of the players has a dragon bone staff. I love the hail of arrows. Think I'll definitely use that one. There are some good ones on your site as well. I think I'm going to have to break down and finally buy Rifter 45.
Vek. I didn't forget about the lightning arrows. Just didn't mention them due to them being the most famous magical arrow. I'll do a search for Hotrods post.
I did start on an arrow that anchors into rock when it hits and leaves a magical line for climbing. I'll post the ones I've designed once they're all done.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

http://palladiumbooks.com/forums/viewto ... 9#p1404741
kitsune has a few as well but there are a few other handy links/posts as well.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Veknironth wrote:If someone could post the link to Hotrod's non magic weapon post, there are a bunch of ideas as to how to take canon material and make super weapons. Many of the ideas can be adapted to arrows and arrow heads. I'd also expect that an alchemist could make any magic weapon effect onto an arrow. Again, expensive, but it could be done.

-Vek
"Who won that non-magic weapon contest anyway?"

Greetings and Salutations. The link to the threads are ...

The original version:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=149107

I believe you won Vek the overall comeptition. I won as a Rules Lawyer. Shadow Logan won Munchkin. Shadow Logan and I shared tje Awesome trophy.

The ranged version can be found here:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=151895

No one technically won, as it never officially ended.

Whiskeyjack wrote:I think I'm going to have to break down and finally buy Rifter 45.

For the record, it does not contain any special bows or arrows. The article has a few new O.C.C., new hand to hand (focused on archery), Archery Proficiencies (based in concept on Sorcerer Proficiencies from Nightbane). There are also some expanded rules on archery in general. While I encourage others to buy it, I don't want you picking it up with an expectation it does not meet.

Anyways, that's all for now. Farewell and safe journeys.

Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Whiskeyjack wrote:I'm looking for some ideas for magical or specialized arrows. Quite a few characters in my current campaign are armed with bows.
So far I have:

lightning strike spell in Secrets of Magic.

Also basically every magic weapon could be 'arrow'... add in 'teleports to weilder' and you can get some nasty stuff
Kobald Arrow + Teleports to Wielder + Invisible + the armor bypass ability in Western Empire +some poison and you have a pretty nasty assasination tool... or military sniper.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

I've been meaning to buy it for a while since I've seen it recommended by several people. As an avid traditional archer, I've always had issues with Palladiums archery rules and have always changed them for my games. It's always fun to see someone elses take on it.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

I had issues with palladium ranged combat for all their games, not just fantasy and this is the basics of what I came up with. (I have a perk system as well and there are perks that can lessen the effect of the negatives). What is your general rulings for hitting stuff from range.

Combat Modifiers – Ranged Combat

Range Numbers to hit a stationary person in no wind and no cover if you have appropriate WP.
Add 5 to the to hit numbers if no WP.

Point Blank: 5+ Within 10ft.
Short: 8+ Within %10 of weapon range.
Medium: 12+ Within %50 of weapon range.
Long: 16+ Within %100 of weapon range.
Extreme: 21+ Within %120 of weapon range.

Target's Movement speed penalties to the required to hit number.

Speed Penalty
5 +2 to target number.
12 +4 to target number.
18 +6 to target number.
24 +8 to target number.
30 +10 to target number.

Cover Modifiers
Soft cover would allow for the projectile to pass through but still blocks LOS.
Hard Cover stops LOS and the projectile
Soft Cover, %25 +1 to target number.
Soft Cover, %50 +2 to target number.
Soft Cover, %75 +3 to target number.
Soft Cover, %90 +5 to target number.
Hard Cover, %25 +2 to target number.
Hard Cover, %50 +4 to target number.
Hard Cover, %75 +7 to target number.
Hard Cover, %90 +10 to target number.

Size Modifiers
Miniscule (20 cent coin size or smaller): +16 to target number.
(Extra +8 if called shot)
Tiny (30cm or smaller): +8 to target number
(Extra +4 if called shot)
Small (3ft or small): +4 to target number
(Extra +2 if called shot)
Medium (Man size or smaller): No modifiers

Large (7ft to 9ft range): -2 to target number
(-1 if called shot)
Huge (9ft to 15 ft): -4 to target number
(-2 if called shot)
Gargantuan (15ft to 30 ft): -6 to target number
(-3 if called shot)
Freakin Hooge (30ft+): -10 to target number
(-5 if called shot)
Wind Modifiers (Point Blank Halves these modifiers)
Light Wind +2 to target number.
Medium Wind +4 to target number.
Strong Wind +8 to target number.
Storm Winds +12 to target number.
Cyclonic Winds +20 to target number.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Rifts can provide a surprising amount of magic arrows, either for conversion or inspiration:
-Rifts WB8 Japan (and reprinted in BoM) has Whistling Arrows, both enchanted and regular version.
-Rifts WB22 Splyn D.Market (and reprinted in BoM) has the Magic Tattoo sub-type for "power arrows" that are conjured into existence (but no reason they couldn't form the basis for regular enchanted arrows)
-Rifts SB1o/WB2/WB5/WB8 (and quite possibly additional books, BUT NOT in BoM) has "high tech" arrow heads (some of which might not be applicable) and a changing note on magic arrow heads and cost in each. WB2 for example states "the following magic spells can be placed on arrows (one spell per arrow). Globe of Dayight, Blinding Flash, Cloud of Smoke, Energy Bolt, Fire Bolt, and paralysis: lesser", but WB5/8 don't have a list of spells, but rather just state they come in magic/techno-wizard form and SB1o doesn't seem to even consider them.
-Rifts Book of Magic (BoM) also TW Goblin Bombs (found in one of the Siege on Tolkeen series), and notes they can be used as arrow heads.
-Rifts WB26 Dinosaur Swamp has Eco-Wizard's Cursed Arrows, so you could enchant or even just curse an arrow. It also has "Steeltree" products (likely imported materials to PF) including bows and arrows (though conversion here might get tricky)
-Rifts WB9 South America 2 has a Bow (Larhold) that does damage based on the users Super Natural PS Punch Damage, might make for an interesting puzzle for PCs to work out why user X they defeated appears to have such powerful arrows that don't work for them.
-MercOps has a TW Crossbow bolt that when fired multiplies in mind flight (so instead of firing one arrow/bolt you are firing IIRC 6 arrow/bolts)
-Rifts WB20 Canada (and in BoM) has a talisman that doubles the range and damage of arrows
-Rifts WB16 FoMo (and BoM) has a few spells that can be cast to improve performance of arrows IIRC, though this is for Rifts where they would do MD, so I don't know how that would work for conversion.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

So far I have:

We had an aborted attempt at a munchkin/rules lawyer contest that explored this idea. If you have the time, you might dig it up for ideas. Some other possibilities:

+Western Empire has a mercenary troop of mounted longbowmen who use a special arrowhead giving them an extra D6 of damage.
+Arrowheads made of Dragonwright blood metals can provide double damage or auto-armor penetration.
+One could put a small jar of the exploding substance from Nimro on an arrow. Boom.
+The Scathach from Rifts: England makes several types of magic arrows, all of which would be appropriate for Palladium Fantasy.
+There's a special fletcher (Timiro or Eastern Territory) who make special bonus arrows.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

I'll have to dig out England and have a look.
I k ow therw are a lot of enchantment options that are canon from the books, but I'd love to see ideas that people came uo with for their own unique arrows. Prysus' Hail of Arrows being a perfect example. Really cool, but no in game mechanic for creating it.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

If you count arrowheads as blade weapons, you could apply dwarvish/kobold smithing damage bonuses to them.

It's not magic, but the Use Poison skill is pretty potent with arrows. I'm quite fond of using natural toxins.

Stonewood arrows from Northern Hinterlands might be nice for hitting harder. Shorter range, though.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

I'll have to look at the stonewood section again.
I think my players will have alignment restrictions for poisons. They are Principled and Scrupulous. Although their enemies are not. :)
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Whiskeyjack wrote:I'll have to dig out England and have a look.
I k ow therw are a lot of enchantment options that are canon from the books, but I'd love to see ideas that people came uo with for their own unique arrows. Prysus' Hail of Arrows being a perfect example. Really cool, but no in game mechanic for creating it.

I think it can be important though to know what arrows the books themselves have presented to avoid reinventing the wheel so to speak.

As an example from your initial post: Terror Arrows based on the description can be found in Rifts WB8/BoM or even an option from WB22's Power Arrow Category. Even Prysus's "Hail of Arrows" could be seen as inspired from the MercOps TW Crossbow (Swarm Bow). Now I am not saying that any of these are identical, or even which came first, but they do appear to share the same spirit for a desired effect.

Whiskeyjack wrote:I'll have to look at the stonewood section again.
I think my players will have alignment restrictions for poisons. They are Principled and Scrupulous. Although their enemies are not. :)

Alignments might be restrictive in terms of poisons used, but not necessarily all encompassing (Numstrike (pg264 PF2E) for example does no damage so might be viable), they could also look for ways to achieve other effects (other than damage), like Blurred Vision or mental confusion, nausea, paralysis, sleep, etc from the Natural Herbal Potions, Powders and Drugs (PF2E PG267). Most of these effects can also be handled by spells to.

Hotrod wrote:If you count arrowheads as blade weapons, you could apply dwarvish/kobold smithing damage bonuses to them.

a Human-size Short Spear (in PF2E) might qualify as a giant size arrow (or more likely a giant crossbow bolt) given the Bill Coffin Siege Weapon article on the cutting room floor considers a man-size siege ballista bolt is javelin or spear sized. So yes I could see them applying (aren't there NPCs in the Megaverse that can produce arrows with bonus to strike/damage?, that would point to it being possible)
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

You're right shadow, there are "poisons" that are definitely non-lethal that they could use depending on their personal outlook.
I guess what I'm thinking of is arrows that aren't just an arrow with a spell attached. While I have no issue using them, I prefer something more unique. I don't care where it is from, inspired by or borrowed. I'm just looking for arrows that have some neat effects or ways to do damage.

On another note. What does everyone do for magic arrow durability? Once and done, certain number of charges, rechargeable, or infinity until broken?
MT_Juicer
D-Bee
Comment: "I dodge..."

Unread post by MT_Juicer »

I know they may not be overly original ideas, but I think there are a wealth of spells that could operate as arrows:

Agony - Imagine a blunt tip arrow that causes your enemy to buckle over in pain.
Antimagic Cloud - Think of the effect of launching this as an opening volley to the siege of a town.
Apparition - How does your enemy react when they think a dragon, a gargoyle, or griffin is attacking?
Befuddle - Always felt this spell was underrated, now with a range inflicting it upon those it strikes.
Blinding Flash - Devastating for night ambushes
Climb - This may need to be combined with another, but essentially makes it a act as the anchor mentioned above.
Dispel Magic Barriers - A distance approach to removing those magical walls.
Energy Bolt - similar to lightning, maybe a cheaper alternative
Energy Disruption - imagine putting out the campfire before an ambush, limiting circles of flame with just one shot.
Extinguish Fire - same as above but limited
Fire Ball - obvious charge for an arrow
Fire Bolt - same as above, but cheaper/weaker
Globe of Silence - sshhh
Ignite Fire - Instead of flaming arrows, how about arrows that nobody expects to cause a flame until it hits.
Immobilize - freeze tag from a distance
Magic Net - for a less than lethal option to capture your enemy/bounty
Paralysis: Lesser - I just picture a magic version of the scene from Ace Ventura 2
Repel Animals - To scatter non-magical, non-intelligent beings
Sleep - much easier to finish them off
Speed of the Snail - another area spell to impede the enemy's defense
Thunderclap - perhaps a signal, perhaps a fear inducement
Turn Dead - a method to repel them from a safer distance
Wind Rush - particular useful in the navy
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Whiskeyjack wrote:You're right shadow, there are "poisons" that are definitely non-lethal that they could use depending on their personal outlook.
I guess what I'm thinking of is arrows that aren't just an arrow with a spell attached. While I have no issue using them, I prefer something more unique. I don't care where it is from, inspired by or borrowed. I'm just looking for arrows that have some neat effects or ways to do damage.

On another note. What does everyone do for magic arrow durability? Once and done, certain number of charges, rechargeable, or infinity until broken?

Lightning arrows are single-use only, per Kevin (I personally heard him say this as he GM'd an adventure). Otherwise, it would likely be reasonable for arrows to be either single-use or once-per-day. After all, you wouldn't want an enemy picking up spent arrows and using them at full effect against you.

As for other arrow ideas:
+Snake-Arrow: enchanted snake gets shot like an arrow, turns into a regular snake after impact/initial chomp. May also be a guided arrow. As seen in Conan: The Barbarian (the original one) shot by James Earl Jones' character.
+Healing arrow: rather than a bladed tip, it provides some kind of healing or protection. The idea for this comes from Team Fortress 2.
+Psi-Arrow: charged with a specific psionic attack (TK punch, TK shove, pyrokinesis bolt, bio-manipulation, whatever) and delivers that effect to the target. Maybe a crystal arrowhead? This idea comes from my own Rifts fan fic.
+Message Arrow: Issues a vocal statement when it strikes a target. This could be for dramatic effect, like "That was for Sir Barristan, you filthy heretics!" or "Thus ever to tyrants!" or it could be a useful tool for spies "The enemy has a tunnel under the east wall and will strike at dawn."
+Teleportation Arrow: Teleports the wielder to the place where it strikes.
+Portal Arrow: opens up a portal between where it strikes and where the bow is. This idea is somewhat similar to the premise of the Portal game.
+Summoning Arrow: Teleports the person, animal, or object up to a weight limit back to the person who shoots it. This idea is inspired by Scorpion from Mortal Combat. COME HERE! May or may not be followed by an upper-cut.

Artillery Arrows: Useful for coordinating large scale strikes, or for creating some by yourself:
+Paint Arrow: people/objects the arrow strikes instantly change color, usually into something easy to see like neon orange, and cannot turn invisible or use a chameleon power until the effect wears off in an hour. Useful for marking targets or fighting enemies that like to use invisibility.
+Guide Arrow: Attracts allies' arrows to a target (+ to strike to subsequent shots at a particular enemy by all missile weapons for XX minutes).
+Volley Arrow: duplicates itself while in flight every 100 feet, so a 100-ft shot is two arrows, a 200 ft shot is four, a 300 foot shot is eight arrows, and a 700-ft shot turns into a cloud of 128 arrows! I just came up this one; it would require some arrow dispersion rules, as not all 128 arrows would hit a single target.
+Ballista Arrow: Grows larger and heavier as it flies, and damage doubles every 100 feet so that it's a giant-sized spear with feathers when it hits its target. Then it quickly shrinks down after impact.
Last edited by Hotrod on Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Lots of good ideas there. Thanks for all the ideas everyone! By all means, keep them coming.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. A few more random ideas. I jotted these ideas down fairly quickly and I don't think I'll use them for anything other than this thread, so I didn't proof read them very well and I didn't apply costs or anything like that. These are concepts more than anything.

Interceptor Arrows: When an enemy launches a projectile attack, this arrow can be fired in place of a defense. This cannot be a carefully aimed attacked and counts as one action/rate of fire. The magic helps guide the arrow, but still requires a 12 or higher to hit (bonuses from W.P. and a high P.P. still apply). When the arrow makes contact with the target, both the Interceptor Arrow and the target lose all kinetic energy (no damage, other than possible fall damage). Projectiles in flight fall to the ground. If a weapon with an independent source of propulsion (such as a modern guided missile) is hit, the projectile will continue towards the target with only a -2 to strike. As this negates kinetic energy, it has no effect against energy attacks such as Call Lightning or a dragon's breath.

The Interceptor Arrow can also be used as an attack on humanoid targets to stop an opponent charging or trying to flee. Since the arrow stops upon contact, it never breaks skin or clothes and inflicts no damage, but can serve as a brief delay. The target stops momentarily like bumping into a wall (no damage), and can continue to move as soon as they've stopped. In game mechanics, the victim's speed is reduced by half for that melee action.

Nullifier Arrows: This type of arrow is designed as a direct foil to other magical items. The archer must make a called shot on a particular item (penalties may apply depending on various factors such as size). If the Nullifier Arrow successfully hits the target, it negates the magical properties of the item (such as armor, weapons, charms, talismans, etc.) for 1D4 melee rounds, transforming it into a mundane item for the duration. Limitations: The item must have a physical form. It cannot be used to negate magical spells active in an area. Rune Weapons and Holy Weapons are immune, but are effective against standard Alchemic magic items and items enchanted by Invocation.

Blood Arrows: A magical arrow developed (and last seen) during the Elf-Dwarf War, and one of the many items believed destroyed during the Millennium of Purification. The arrow only inflicts normal damage, but once it hits flesh the arrow magically decays and is destroyed, causing a black mark to form around the wound. This damage cannot be healed by any known means, magical or mundane. Instead the wound remains open, the victim slowly bleeding out. Actions can be taken to reduce the blood loss by slowing the flow of blood, but nothing can stop it. If hit in the main body, this is effectively a death sentence. However, if hit in an arm or leg, the limb could be amputated to prevent death.

There are tales that a magical cure was discovered, but after the Millennium of Purification, with the destruction of all the arrows, the spell was no longer needed. As a result, any possible cure has entered into legend as difficult to discover as the Blood Arrows themselves. Note: Blood Arrows are designed as an item wielded by NPC villains, and the search for a cure a possible adventure hook.

Whiskeyjack wrote:On another note. What does everyone do for magic arrow durability? Once and done, certain number of charges, rechargeable, or infinity until broken?

Well, that depends a lot on preference and on the effect. Magic items tend to be expensive, and if they're only one use you'd be spending a lot of money (much more than melee fighters). While we could make magic arrows cheaper than other magic items, the question then becomes why are they so cheap to make and others so expensive? The magical items presented in the book tend to be permanent, so I go with that in mind.

In my personal opinion, the magical arrows are permanently enchanted. Some would be passive and others would have a limited number of uses (per day). So, for example, in my first example, the Burst Arrow (equivalent of Flaming Sword) and Unwavering Arrow would be passive abilities that are automatically activated each time used. The Burst Arrow was mentally commanded (and I considered it a bit more powerful), so I gave it a number of uses per day. In the above examples, I'd probably allow Interceptor arrows to be automatically activated each time used, while Nullifier Arrows would have probably a once per day use. The Blood Arrows are an exception to the rule and are one use only.

Anyways, those are my thoughts on the subject. Hope they help. Farewell and safe journeys for now.

kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Another way I like to do it is to have an item that can enchant x arrows per day with the ability. Then the arrows are still ammunition that need to be replaced but the magic arrow effect can still be used again without having to buy the magic arrows again and again.
e.g.
Quiver of Arrow Enchantment vs evil. Arrows kept in the quiver Gain +3 damage vs evil after 1hr, and lose the enchantment when used or 15 minutes has passed after removal from the quiver. Only 6 arrows can be enchanted in this way per day.

Arrow Sharpening stone of wounding
3 times a day, if an arrow is sharpened on the stone the arrow does an extra 1d6 damage, and causes 1d4 bleed damage per round until the wound is bandaged, a successful medical check is made at -%20 if bandages aren't available or if any magical healing is applied. The damage is applied at the start of each round before initiative is rolled. Using the arrow or if 6 hrs pass the arrow loses its enchantment. Being in a ley line will increase the time to 12 hrs.
Last edited by kiralon on Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Prysus. Those are some cool arrows there. I think I'll have some use for those. Also, I grabbed the PDF of Rifter 45. Definitely not what I was expecting in the article, but i loved it. There are some great ideas in there that I'll be drawing from.

Kiralon. THAT is a cool idea. I never thought of using another item to enchant the arrow, which is weird because my one OCC I've been working on has an ability to sharpen swords to inflict extra damage.
MT_Juicer
D-Bee
Comment: "I dodge..."

Unread post by MT_Juicer »

I really like the idea of the quiver that enchants various effects onto an arrow. As for the duration, I have thought of them as rechargable, as in they go off once but if it can be recovered then it could be recharged for either the initial spell cost or a reduced creation cost.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

One of the more interesting arrows I had in a game was a "blood link" arrow.
This double edged arrow is a necromantic psi/magic artifact. The user of the arrow (not necisarially the archer) must use Object Read on the arrow to establish the link, there can only be one person linked at a time.
When the arrow is imbedded in a being after being fired the being imbedded, and the linker are both considered 'touching' for magic and psionic purposes.
This can be used to allow for the delivery of touch spells to a monster from a safe distance... or for the monster to do so to their attacker! At least one dragon was known to use this arrow deliberately to allow them to masquerade as a god by providing spells on demand to its 'priests' (who had ritually 'shot' it with the arrows).
These bone are +2 to strike and virtually indestructible (only take damage if directly attacked, in which case they have nAR 14 and 400SDC)
They are a masterwork of the few alchemists who dabble both in necromancy and psionics, and prices tend to start at "more than you really want to know" and tend to usually be "what the market will bear"
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

I like to see Heart seeker Arrows that always try to hit the heart of the being,they will also teleport back to the quiver.

I love to see more Magic weapons,I hope to see them in New PFrpg books
ShadowLogan
Palladin

How about:
-Illumination Arrow (firing straight up, and when it reaches the apex it becomes a source of illumination, something like Globe of Daylight or Lantern Light for enchantments, technological means might also exist)
-Magical Grappling Hook Arrow (normal arrow that when it impales into target a connecting rope magically appears in the archer's hands on one end and the other end is the arrow, this allows the archer to climb or pull something/one toward them. Since the rope is magically generated at time of impact you save on carry weight/volume).

kiralon wrote:Another way I like to do it is to have an item that can enchant x arrows per day with the ability. Then the arrows are still ammunition that need to be replaced but the magic arrow effect can still be used again without having to buy the magic arrows again and again.
e.g.
Quiver of Arrow Enchantment vs evil. Arrows kept in the quiver Gain +3 damage vs evil after 1hr, and lose the enchantment when used or 15 minutes has passed after removal from the quiver. Only 6 arrows can be enchanted in this way per day.

Arrow Sharpening stone of wounding
3 times a day, if an arrow is sharpened on the stone the arrow does an extra 1d6 damage, and causes 1d4 bleed damage per round until the wound is bandaged, a successful medical check is made at -%20 if bandages aren't available or if any magical healing is applied. The damage is applied at the start of each round before initiative is rolled. Using the arrow or if 6 hrs pass the arrow loses its enchantment. Being in a ley line will increase the time to 12 hrs.

What about having the bow capable of enchanting the arrows it fires (on command)? You can put 3 enchantments onto a weapon IINM, and a few are always active, but some are also x# per period of time.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

I play a lot of rangers and longbowman (Favourite class is elven ranger).
I do usually enchant my bows, but for hth combat. I have warbows that are bows with blades on the end and always get with indestructibility enchantment when available and any other enchants that look good at the time. I take wp longbow, wp staff and wp spear and the specialise in warbow with the perk(homebrew) and then you can fight with the bow like its a spear or a staff in hth. Then I don't have to mess around with carrying 2 sets of weapons. The sharpening stones, quivers, unguents and poison bonuses all get added to the arrows.
Extra damage, demon/devil slaying etc gets added to the bow for hth.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Magnetic Arrow (My personal favorite!): Becomes a supercharged magnet in flight as it approaches the target. Automatically homes in on and strikes the closest iron object on the target. If a handheld weapon, it knocks the weapon out of the opponent's hand and keeps going. If a shield or armor, it strikes and inflicts damage to the armor. However, it also magnetizes the armor/shield! Victims in full metal armor are effectively immobilized for a full melee (15 seconds) and take 2D6 damage from their body and limbs violently pulling and banging together. Victims in half suits of metal armor are -8 to all combat actions and attacks are reduced by half. Victims with magnetized shields or wearing studded leather are subject to lesser penalties at the discretion of the GM. All metal weapons and objects on the character become stuck to the armor or shield for the duration and take 2D6 S.D.C. damage. Has no effect on others nearby. Against foes without any metal weapons or objects, it's just an ordinary arrow with normal damage.

Guided Arrows: Once shot, the bow's holder continues to guide the arrow via magically-linked telekinesis. +5 to strike for the initial attack, and the bow's holder can simply point his arrow where he or she wants it to attack next. Additional guided arrows can be shot while guided arrows already shot continue to follow the aim of the bow (up to a total of six guided arrows). The arrows and bow must be recharged with psionic or magic telekinesis power, and the duration of each arrow's flight is equal to the duration of the power invoked.

Albatross Arrow: A weaponized Magic Pigeon spell. Unlimited range, but the roll to strike is totally without bonus; just a straight roll to strike. Must know the target enough to send a Magic Pigeon. Doesn't corner well, so if the target is in a wooden, brick, or stone building, or a cave, it'll smack into the ground, breaking the enchantment.

Heater Arrowhead: Arrowhead turns red-hot in flight. +4 to damage, but cauterizes wounds it inflicts, so no blood loss and minimal chances of infection. Double damage against creatures of cold/ice. Unless it hits flesh, it will set the shaft and fletching of the arrow on fire. If lodged in an easily-combustible material, this will start a fire.

Frosty Arrowhead: Arrowhead becomes unnaturally cold in flight: +4 to damage from localized frostbite to its victims. Double damage against creatures of heat/fire. Will turn about a gallon of water to ice if it strikes water or a pipe (which may block or crack the pipe)

Grappling Hook Arrow: Attached to the bow with a thread of iron, useful for quick escapes, climbing, et cetera. Similar to the one used by Hawkeye in the first Avengers movie.

Anchor Arrow: The victim's feet adhere to the ground, just like a Carpet of Adhesion spell; it also prevents teleportation of any kind for the duration. Demons and deevils slain whilst this is in effect do not start disappearing until it expires (perhaps allowing a limb to be hacked off?). Great for escapes or for shooting a big bad monster to death from a safe distance.

Passthrough Arrow: Creates a miniature mystic portal that enables the arrow to bypass the first object it encounters: shield, armor, clothes, or even a wall up to 6 feet thick, inflicting full damage to whatever's on the other side! Shots at suspected enemies behind walls are at -10 to strike. Against bare flesh, this arrow passes harmlessly through the target and hits whatever is behind it, so it's not much use against unclothed or unarmored enemies.

Eagle-Eye Arrow: Allows the archer to see the arrow's point of view through its flight. If shot high or over an enemy position, it will provide a brief birds-eye view for five or six seconds.

In addition, you could incorporate some of the following special archery attacks. For their cost/drawbacks (no pun intended): ISP (if you're making a psi-archer), PPE (for more of a mystic/monk archer), or comes with penalties to strike / costs extra attacks.

Overdraw Shot: The archer draws the bowstring back even further for a more damaging shot that adds +1 to damage and +10% to the range per level of the archer. May break the bow.

Single Shot, Multiple Arrows: The archer pulls multiple arrows back at the same time and lets fly at one or more targets, (if multiple, they must be in the same general direction). Archer must spend one shot preparing, and the arrows may or may not hit as hard as a single arrow shot would.

High/Low Volley: Two arrows fly in rapid succession. The first flies high and arcs, while the second flies low. Both hit the target simultaneously. The target can try to parry one with the usual penalty, but not both. Dodging is at an additional -2. Higher level archers can add additional arrows to this technique.

Curve Shot: By altering the fletching and/or using some psionics/magic, the character can curve an arrow around a corner, over a parapet, or around a covering shield and hit the target behind it. Range is reduced by 75%, and it costs ISP, PPE, and/or penalties to strike/extra attacks.

Disarming Shot: knocks the weapon from the hands of an opponent. A called shot.

Cutting Shot: A special anti-archer attack that requires an inverted blade arrowhead, this attack will cut the string of a bow, crossbow, or sling, rendering it useless until replaced. May also be effective against thin ropes, vines, or tentacles. Thicker ropes, tentacles, or vines may be severed with higher level or multiple cutting shots.

Knockdown Shot: Inflicts an additional 1D6 damage and victim loses the initiative and 1 attack. Higher levels of this attack may inflict more damage and hurl the victim back and away, requiring one or more additional actions to get back to where the victim was.

Barrage: At the outset of a round, this discipline unloads every attack per melee the archer has in a single attack on a single enemy. Speed comes at the cost of accuracy, though: each shot gets no bonus to strike, and the archer can take no further actions that melee other than automatic parries with his or her bow.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
dreicunan
Hero

Unread post by dreicunan »

Hotrod wrote:Albatross Arrow: A weaponized Magic Pigeon spell. Unlimited range, but the roll to strike is totally without bonus; just a straight roll to strike. Must know the target enough to send a Magic Pigeon. Doesn't corner well, so if the target is in a wooden, brick, or stone building, or a cave, it'll smack into the ground, breaking the enchantment.

This is a very cool thing. If the target isn't at the destination, does it wait until the target returns like the pigeon would? I just have this image of thousands of arrows waiting outside a hated king's castle while he is off on vacation.
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

dreicunan wrote:
Hotrod wrote:Albatross Arrow: A weaponized Magic Pigeon spell. Unlimited range, but the roll to strike is totally without bonus; just a straight roll to strike. Must know the target enough to send a Magic Pigeon. Doesn't corner well, so if the target is in a wooden, brick, or stone building, or a cave, it'll smack into the ground, breaking the enchantment.

This is a very cool thing. If the target isn't at the destination, does it wait until the target returns like the pigeon would? I just have this image of thousands of arrows waiting outside a hated king's castle while he is off on vacation.

Eh, whatever you prefer, I guess. If I put this into a game, I'd say that it would simply dash itself against the ground and go poof if the intended target wasn't there. An arrow like this would probably require some exotic ingredients or have some other kind of limiting factor limiting its distribution, or kings would never dare to step outside.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
dreicunan
Hero

Unread post by dreicunan »

Hotrod wrote:
dreicunan wrote:

Eh, whatever you prefer, I guess. If I put this into a game, I'd say that it would simply dash itself against the ground and go poof if the intended target wasn't there. An arrow like this would probably require some exotic ingredients or have some other kind of limiting factor limiting its distribution, or kings would never dare to step outside.

I should have included a smiley face to indicate that I wasn't entirely serious. :D I agree with your assessment, that if this existed it would need to be quite rare or all the powerful people in the world would be adapting their buildings and lives around stopping these. Otherwise people who hate you would just regularly launch off volleys of a couple hundred whenever they could confirm that you were out in the open.
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”