Attuning to items...

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

ShadowHawk
Dungeon Crawler

Attuning to items...

Unread post by ShadowHawk »

Hello guys,

I'm wondering...How many items can you be attune to at one time, in the game? Rune weapons, dimensional pockets, magical staves, etc?
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Re: Attuning to items...

Unread post by kiralon »

No limit to my knowledge, but I tend to run my intelligent items as a bit selfish and don't like sharing their wielder with other items . . . or people. I also make up odd interactions between these items, especially if they are powerful, so one morning the breakfast fire might not light and another day everyone's breakfast turns into a 5 star meal or the wizards fireball might take on the form of a school of flaming fish swimming through the air at a target. Magic is wonder, and things aren't really wondrous if everything is known about it. I have even changed the rules of magic briefly so the normal way of casting spells doesn't work, but if you say the name of the spell 3 times it will cast. Also Stops the long time players from walking into a room and saying aha I recognise that, its a +2d6 flaming longsword because that's what the rules say it has to be.
zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

kiralon wrote:No limit to my knowledge, but I tend to run my intelligent items as a bit selfish and don't like sharing their wielder with other items . . . or people. I also make up odd interactions between these items, especially if they are powerful, so one morning the breakfast fire might not light and another day everyone's breakfast turns into a 5 star meal or the wizards fireball might take on the form of a school of flaming fish swimming through the air at a target. Magic is wonder, and things aren't really wondrous if everything is known about it. I have even changed the rules of magic briefly so the normal way of casting spells doesn't work, but if you say the name of the spell 3 times it will cast. Also Stops the long time players from walking into a room and saying aha I recognise that, its a +2d6 flaming longsword because that's what the rules say it has to be.

I use a similar process to Kiralon- it can also make the choices fun RP
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

kiralon wrote:No limit to my knowledge, but I tend to run my intelligent items as a bit selfish and don't like sharing their wielder with other items . . . or people. I also make up odd interactions between these items, especially if they are powerful, so one morning the breakfast fire might not light and another day everyone's breakfast turns into a 5 star meal or the wizards fireball might take on the form of a school of flaming fish swimming through the air at a target. Magic is wonder, and things aren't really wondrous if everything is known about it. I have even changed the rules of magic briefly so the normal way of casting spells doesn't work, but if you say the name of the spell 3 times it will cast. Also Stops the long time players from walking into a room and saying aha I recognise that, its a +2d6 flaming longsword because that's what the rules say it has to be.

Bletherad gives some insight into this matter on p94: "Unlike most rune weapons, which are impossible to use in tandem (their forceful personalities would be too much for their joint owner to bear), the Twins carried no such burden."

Thus, multiple rune weapons are generally a no-no and Kiralon's interpretation is fairly consistent with canon. Intelligent rune weapons need some kind of an explanation for being used together. Combining items of different types might be a bit more workable if their capabilities complement each other. For example, a dwarf rune ring might be ok with its wielder also using a rune weapon or a rune book. A rune shield might be willing to share a wielder with a 1-handed rune weapon. Much would likely depend on the personalities of the intelligent items involved.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, I think the books are pretty clear on Rune Weapons. I don't know how the conflict between something like a rune ring and a rune weapon would go. I guess it depends on the various personalities of the items. They MIGHT work together well, or they might hate each other and force the PC to make a choice.

-Vek
"A choice could create enmity with an eternal intelligence."
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Attunement isnt the term. It doesnt exist in PFRPG.

Rune weapons are as mentioned a little touchy or overbearing having multiple other personaltitles bonding but there is no game limit. THe extremities are to be role played and see how the person (or rune items) copes.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Hotrod wrote:

Bletherad gives some insight into this matter on p94: "Unlike most rune weapons, which are impossible to use in tandem (their forceful personalities would be too much for their joint owner to bear), the Twins carried no such burden."

Thus, multiple rune weapons are generally a no-no and Kiralon's interpretation is fairly consistent with canon. Intelligent rune weapons need some kind of an explanation for being used together. Combining items of different types might be a bit more workable if their capabilities complement each other. For example, a dwarf rune ring might be ok with its wielder also using a rune weapon or a rune book. A rune shield might be willing to share a wielder with a 1-handed rune weapon. Much would likely depend on the personalities of the intelligent items involved.

The problem is that this requires creating rules out of whole cloth for the subject.
AND presuming that these brand new rules are actually canon based on what is basically the fluff description of a specific weapon
This is made further problematic by the fact that there are canonical examples of beings with multiple rune items in the game already.

Basically as I see it...
Unless the Rune Item has free will as a power, it will sulk and whine and complain if you have a bunch of toys. But it can't DO anything about it.
The books give no ability what so ever to any rune weapon to control people, to refuse to work, or to act maliciously or independently in anyway, shape or form unless they have that as a special unique ability.
People tend to forget that Rune Items are slaves. They MUST comply with the orders of their master, will they or nil they.

Thus if Mr. Jedru has five dozen rune rings, a rune crown, rune gauntlet, rune belt, rune shield, rune boots, a rune dagger, a rune sword, rune pen and rune stone and rune book...
...he can use them all. Though he is likely to get a lot of whining and complaints from his gear.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
ShadowHawk
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by ShadowHawk »

Thank you for your help.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”