New OOC's and races

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

AlanGunhouse
Champion

New OOC's and races

Unread post by AlanGunhouse »

I was just looking over Adventures on the High Seas...and noticed that it does not anywhere mention what races can join any of the classes. While that does not matter for unrestricted races like Humans, Elves, or Wolfen, some classes (like the Gladiator) might well be appropriate to other races like Orcs. Is there something anywhere that lists what races may be members of classes added after the main book?
Hotrod
Knight

Re: New OOC's and races

Unread post by Hotrod »

AlanGunhouse wrote:I was just looking over Adventures on the High Seas...and noticed that it does not anywhere mention what races can join any of the classes. While that does not matter for unrestricted races like Humans, Elves, or Wolfen, some classes (like the Gladiator) might well be appropriate to other races like Orcs. Is there something anywhere that lists what races may be members of classes added after the main book?

Race limitations on O.C.C.'s tend to show up in race descriptions. Most O.C.C.'s don't include direct race restrictions. However, the broader context of the book is important. For example, I couldn't find a restriction in the Western Empire's Imperial Janissary O.C.C. description, but I think it's safe to say that it's almost entirely exclusive to humans (maybe elves or dwarves could join, but they'd be a small minority at most).

Was there something in particular you wanted to do? While certain combinations aren't really possible (i.e. a non-psionic race can't take a psionic class), it's quite possible to bend and break some rules. For example, dwarves don't study magic, but it's not because they physically can't; there's just a cultural taboo against it. It's perfectly reasonable to have a character who breaks tradition/rules to take a normally forbidden O.C.C.; I'd just want to know why/how in that character's background description.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
AlanGunhouse
Champion

I was working on a Goblin for a game, and was wondering what they could be besides what was listed in the main book.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Hotrod wrote:
AlanGunhouse wrote:I was just looking over Adventures on the High Seas...and noticed that it does not anywhere mention what races can join any of the classes. While that does not matter for unrestricted races like Humans, Elves, or Wolfen, some classes (like the Gladiator) might well be appropriate to other races like Orcs. Is there something anywhere that lists what races may be members of classes added after the main book?

Race limitations on O.C.C.'s tend to show up in race descriptions. Most O.C.C.'s don't include direct race restrictions. However, the broader context of the book is important. For example, I couldn't find a restriction in the Western Empire's Imperial Janissary O.C.C. description, but I think it's safe to say that it's almost entirely exclusive to humans (maybe elves or dwarves could join, but they'd be a small minority at most).

Was there something in particular you wanted to do? While certain combinations aren't really possible (i.e. a non-psionic race can't take a psionic class), it's quite possible to bend and break some rules. For example, dwarves don't study magic, but it's not because they physically can't; there's just a cultural taboo against it. It's perfectly reasonable to have a character who breaks tradition/rules to take a normally forbidden O.C.C.; I'd just want to know why/how in that character's background description.

Another way to look at post main book class availability is:
-Rifts Conversion Book 1 Revised. Look at both the Rifts and Palladium OCC availability for a given race (if its in RCB1r). They seem to avoid going with specific classes as much as possible and instead giving a list in terms of the category (M@A, Magic, Adventurer, Psychic) and list any OCCs they can't (ex Juicer, Crazy, etc).
-look at the "spirit" of the existing list, and see if a given class fits that spirit (ex. Gladiator would be a M@A class, so if a race can take most M@A classes I would say you are good to go)

AlanGunhouse wrote:I was working on a Goblin for a game, and was wondering what they could be besides what was listed in the main book.

RCB1r lists PF OCCs to (Most OCCs, except Long Bowman, Knight/Palladin, magic), with leans toward thief/assassin, in Rifts it comes down to any M@A or Adventurer (but they can't do formal military,CK, lawmen, highly skilled).
AlanGunhouse
Champion

So would the entertainer classes be considered "highly skilled"? Pirate and Sailor classes and Gladiator presumably are available? Shaman is unlikely though possible?
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Entertainers I can't say for sure, but given RCB1r I would say they are available ("Most OCCs" is the quote followed by a listing of out right exemptions). They might also make good 'cover' for assassin/theif (instead of building from these OCCs to have cover, do the reverse maybe).

Pirate, Sailor, and Gladiator OCCs are Men At Arms IINM, and should be available.

Shaman OCC, I would have to say no. Their role is essentially filled by the Cobler Goblin (RCB1r limits them in PF to just Cobbler and Witch). You might have a Goblin Witch/Cobler that is one in name, just not actual practice.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”