Miniatures for Palladium Fantasy ?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Panserbob
Newb

Miniatures for Palladium Fantasy ?

Unread post by Panserbob »

Hello communauty !

I seriously consider mastering a Palladium Fantasy campaign with my three sons.
So I will certainly have some questions.

To begin...
Do you use miniatures in your Palladium Fantasy games ?
If yes which one ?
Reaper seems to be a good choice but il lacks certain specific models : Trolls and Kobolds (in the Palaldium way) ? Wolfens and coyles ? Changelings ? for example are very hard to find.

What about paper miniatures ?

Thanks for your help.
Hotrod
Knight

Re: Miniatures for Palladium Fantasy ?

Unread post by Hotrod »

Panserbob wrote:Hello communauty !

I seriously consider mastering a Palladium Fantasy campaign with my three sons.
So I will certainly have some questions.

To begin...
Do you use miniatures in your Palladium Fantasy games ?
If yes which one ?
Reaper seems to be a good choice but il lacks certain specific models : Trolls and Kobolds (in the Palaldium way) ? Wolfens and coyles ? Changelings ? for example are very hard to find.

What about paper miniatures ?

Thanks for your help.

Welcome to the boards! Madmanmike makes a lot of paper minis, including a bunch specifically for Palladium Fantasy. However, I think you're looking at this from the wrong angle. Getting the minis is only half the battle.

I've used minis in some games in the past. On the plus side, they're great for keeping everyone on the same page as to what's going on, where everyone is relative to everyone else/whatever room you're in, and what everyone can see/do at a given time. On the downside, they often require a ton of prep work for the game master, because either need pre-made dungeons ready to go, or you need some kind of modular system for putting them together on the fly.

My advice for you is to pick a scale, stick with it, and try to develop a library of tactical maps and/or a collection of modular dungeon pieces. There are many tactical maps you can find on DeviantArt and the Cartographers Guild websites. There are some excellent tutorials out there on building 3D adventure environments for minis. My favorite one is by a dude who makes fantastic modular dungeons out of cardboard, spray paint, a sponge, and some simple, cheap hobby paints.

The other piece of the pie is building up your horde of NPC minis. You're going to want quite a variety for Palladium Fantasy, and you're going to want a lot of them. Paper minis are pretty convenient/cheap, and as I said, Madmanmike has made a lot of them, especially for Palladium IPs and Palladium Fantasy in particular.

I would suggest you start with a modular dungeon set (homemade or bought) and paper minis by MadmanMike, all of which you can get for pretty cheap. From there, just keep your eyes open for toys and minis you can swap in from time to time for your paper NPCs from time to time.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Hotrod wrote:
I would suggest you start with a modular dungeon set (homemade or bought) and paper minis by MadmanMike, all of which you can get for pretty cheap. From there, just keep your eyes open for toys and minis you can swap in from time to time for your paper NPCs from time to time.

Hotrod is bang on and in fact the same place you can purchase Mikes paper minis typically has a number of dungeon maps and others for free download that you can print off. I use a lot of it for my mini games outside of Palladium.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, to piggy back on Hotrod's post, you could use metal miniatures for the PCs and paper for the NPCs. It makes the PCs stand out on the table and it allows for less expensive and more expansive NPCs.

-Vek
"and Mike put a lot of work into them!"
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Unread post by Whiskeyjack »

Personally, I like to use minis for the players. The trick is to find appropriate ones for Palladium races, particularly the canines. I have found a few online and will be ordering some in the new year. I have one of the kids characters done in miniature form except for a bit of detailing. For me, they're more to try and give a neat representation for what the character looks like, and not for serious table top games. Although they will use their characters instead of a coloured dice on the table.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Another method is to use a good projector and project the map on the wall and use a game program to show them moving around.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Alternately, you can put a hard plastic sheet over a flat screen TV, hook it up to a laptop, put the flatscreen on its back, and use it as a table. I saw a guy make a gaming table with a flatscreen as the centerpiece, and it was amazing.

Of course, that's fairly expensive and labor-intensive.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”