Spell Question

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Chris
Explorer

Spell Question

Unread post by Chris »

Have a question on how a particular spell can be used.

Lightning Strike: Pg 91 Mysteries of Magic 1

It says under Duration; Instant once released.

It also says in the body of the spell description that the charged weapon can be used by the caster, or someone else, and that once the charged weapon is fired or thrown the weapon turns into a lightning bolt and then does what it does.

By my read a mage with this spell can charge weapon after weapon and create a stockpile since the magic is only released/used once fired / thrown (i.e. released).

Is that an accurate read on this?
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Re: Spell Question

Unread post by kiralon »

Well as the duration is instant once released I'd say it goes off if you put em down. So you can charge em, and as long as somebody holds the charged item it won't go off, once they drop it, put it in a quiver or say try to store it in an armoury it would go off.

Not particularly convenient if you want to say eat, sleep or go to the loo.
filo_clarke
Adventurer

Unread post by filo_clarke »

Hmmm. The wording for the Range is "Touch". In the spell description doesn't say the spell can charge the mage's weapon, or somebody else's weapon. It says that the "weapon can be used by the spell caster or someone else". This, to me, sounds like the mage has the ability to charge a weapon by touch and then give it to someone. While I don't like the ability of a sixth level spell being able to create a permanent one-use magic weapon, the wording is vague enough that it creates ambiguity. The intent seems to be that the mage can charge a weapon that someone else can use, but is not necessarily already in their possession.

This brings up many other questions. What happens if the other wielder doesn't want to use the weapon? Does it automatically turn to lightning (and thus is destroyed) as soon as the wielder puts it down? Could this be a d!ckish way to get rid of an opponent's weapon, if you happen to be immune to lightning yourself? Since the wielder "can" use the weapon, could they cancel the magic on their own?

Curious.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

The start of the description does say it has to be an arrow, spear or thrown type weapon, which does rule out a lot of weapons and it does say it turns to lightning once released, so if they are fighting with a spear it will only turn to lightning once they throw it or drop it, so if they keep using the weapon in hth combat it won't really effect combat, and it wouldn't destroy an indestructible weapon so it's effectiveness in combat for destroying a weapon wouldn't be too great. It just means if the other guys wins, when he puts his weapon down he loses it, and I guess it would follow the normal rules for cancelling a spell.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Yeah, I got no clue. I don't have the book with me, but checking the manuscript, it wasn't one of mine.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Chris
Explorer

Unread post by Chris »

Awesome. I appreciate the feedback.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”