in the first person cross over

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

areafiftyonegames
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: ”Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.” – Douglas MacArthur

in the first person cross over

Unread post by areafiftyonegames »

The many types of adventures and types of play out thier is numerous , but My favorate type is the player cross over. in the books it was Joel Rosenberg's sleeping Dragon and later series of the guardians of the flame that excited me. the ideal of we our selves being in our own fantasy creations. now this is called lite rpg. I enjoy many a series out thier, such as Homebrew by Xavier P hunter and Critical one series by Robert Bevan. to mention a few. the trick is doing this is a game. How do you honestly get some one to play them selves and what fun is that in a world as deadly as Palladium fantasy or even rifts?
"It's a blast !"
in dead reign or beyond the supernatural it is easier and very adaptable , but how do you keep players from using thier considerable knowledge of the world > you don't that is thier edge they know the fourth wall as it was and they are allowed to break it as often as they please. that is considerable power if done by smart players . the not so smart di kicking and screaming at the end of a spear in their guts!

I can tell you so many stories of people playing them selves and what it was sad to hilarious to very intense!

how I do this is with ordanary people occ, but allow players to later slide over to thier new world OCC depending on if they meet the conditions . some not so hard while others are challenging. I am a former soldier , so I have friends who are former soldiers and and other former service members or police officer and parmedics . when you have real life heroes in your group it is not hard to pretend to be a diffrent type there are so many who do not know themselves well enought to allow them
to honestly make out thier self as a character or they are a little too modest?

so has any other game master ever done this , if you have give the 1020 on your attempts .
Hotrod
Knight

Re: in the first person cross over

Unread post by Hotrod »

There's a certain amount of self-insert that invariably happens during the character creation process. That said, my favorite characters I've ever made or played have been radically different from me. For example, my hands-down, all-time favorite character has a crippling speech impediment, whilst I talk too much in real life, and his skills have almost no overlap with my own. On the flipside, his alignment was pretty similar to my own.

On the subject of alignment, I find it very difficult to play a character with different moral values than my own. I've only once tried to play a genuinely evil character, and I could never really get into it, possibly because there's always an element of self-insertion intrinsic to role playing, unless you're a fantastic method actor.

A totally faithful self-insert character is interesting, and I have seen it done. The way I see it, there are two ways in which you could handle the player's knowledge of the setting. First, you can play it straight and break the fourth wall left and right by allowing the player to use all of his/her knowledge and talk about the books (maybe even have some with him/her). The challenge there is to keep the atmosphere immersive with a set of ground rules for how the 4th wall does and doesn't break. The second way is to treat the player character as a near-clone who lacks in-world knowledge. The tricky part there is on the player's side, keeping straight the differences between the player and his or her character.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

I'm surprised no one else did this but one of my groups did the matrix thing by rolling up about what we thought our we were and then picking a martial art from ninjas and superspies that we were level 10 at. We had skill slots that could be changed by downloading different skills into them and they were at level 10 as well. The AI was using the matrix as a simulation engine to experiment on humans to make them more effective power generators, and using human brains to come up with bigger better power generation ideas.
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, there appear to be a few ways to go about this:

1. The player is transported physically into the Palladium world. So, you figure out what skills and abilities the actual person has and throw them into the world. This could lead to real issues, though, because only PS is measurable in a meaningful sense. There could be hurt feelings when someone has a lower IQ, ME, PP, MA, or PB than other characters. These characters are going to have a lot of real world knowledge, but it probably won't be very helpful since they won't know the schematics of advancements just after the medieval period, unless they're engineers or chemists in real life. You'll also have to map out languages. People who speak English could speak which human tongue? What about Spanish, German, Mandarin, etc? And you'd have to stop them from reading books, or trust them to not do so. What they know, they know, they can't research while in game.

2. The psyche of the player ends up in the "body" of the PC. So the physical stats will remain the same, but the mental stats you can ignore because now it's just whatever the player does. The bodies would have sense memory for things like combat, archery, stealth, and picking locks, but magic would be difficult. Psionics would also probably not cross over. If the PCs have history or are experienced, the new "minds" wouldn't immediately know anyone the characters have previously met, because they'd be "seeing" the character instead of recognizing the description or the individual from memory.

3. A merging. The real person is thrust into the body of the character, and magically has all the character's knowledge and powers. In a work of fiction, the person would have difficulty merging with the character, feeling conflicting ideal and motivations. In a game setting, the person is going dominate the PC. This is essentially the same as role-playing, but the character has advanced knowledge.

-Vek
"I may have misinterpreted your question."

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”