Interest in Prehistoric mammal article?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

RockJock
Knight

Interest in Prehistoric mammal article?

Unread post by RockJock »

Palladium Fantasy has a few examples of prehistoric animals being given stats. Would any of you have an interest in seeing an expansion of this as a Rifter article?
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Re: Interest in Prehistoric mammal article?

Unread post by Warshield73 »

If you have an idea of where in Palladium these animals would be and how they fit in then I think it would great. Random monsters aren't bad necessarily but if you can give a GM a hook for how to include them that is always helpful.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I think it would be a great addition... how they fit into the Palladium World, how they act and how they hunt, etc. Something to give spice to monsters that are frequently kill-switches with HP attached.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
rpetras
Newb

Unread post by rpetras »

I'd like to see a prehistoric mammal article, especially if it was paired with stats for mutant animals as well.

That would make a great Rifter theme, much like the Dino articles from a while back.
RockJock
Knight

What I was thinking is animals with thought out stats/descriptions, dropped into different parts of the Palladium World that resemble their original environment. Maybe with notes about how they animals could be dropped into other settings. I'm not sure if I would go for the mutant animal idea, but the basic stats would be usable to create a mutant animal.

Without stats a good example would be a North American Lion (heavier, stronger, bigger than an African Lion, but with similar hunting style) getting the treatment as Ophid's Lion.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Don't forget about mount potential, especially for the larger and smaller races. Mastodons and mammoths ought to be trainable as war elephant type mounts, and there are plenty of things in the fossil records that might make a fun alternative to horses.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Unread post by Whiskeyjack »

I've used a few pre-ice age mammals in my games. They add a fun twist to the common animals. Both monstrous and familiar. Stats on a variety of them would be cool. There are a ton of pre dinosaur animals that are pretty cool too. Andrewsarchus and such.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Interesting thought i had today while researching for something else.. the American mastodon (Mammut americanum) is almost perfectly sized for a Wolfen to ride. snf it lived in a climate pretty close to that of the Northern Wilderness.
it is also similar in size to the North African and Syrian Elephants (both now extinct) that were used in ancient times as war elephants. War Elephants could reach 20mph on a charge, which is the same rough speed fully armed and armored horse cavalry reach on a charge.

now i can't get the image of Wolfen Knights and paladins charging on mastodon back, lances leveled.

as browsers mastodons might be trickier than horses to keep in feed, but evidence shows they were very flexible in diet, ranging from water plants, brush, even tough stuff like twigs and conifer needles. and they were able to graze off grass to a degree, unlike most browsers. so you could use grain and the like as a dietary supplement for them. (and i suspect that you could develop a type of dried feed for them, the way Hay is for grazers. just use the appropriate plants for their diet, and dry them out. combine with letting them browse on the surrounding foliage) diet wise they'd be similar to Indian Elephants (which are also similar sized) and those worked reasonably well as domestic animals for thousands of years.)
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Who needs lances when you could use ballista, now that would be scary (even a batch of wolfen longbowman would be a pain).

Coyle horde on mastadons
now that sounds like an adventure
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

because Knight use lances. :P

and ballistae would be too big to fit onto the back of a mastodon. they were quite large, and a wolfen model would likely be even bigger. and atthe size Wolfen are, it would be hard to stick more than one on a Howdah anyway, and that wouldn't leave much room for a mahout.

though certainly, for the Empire's human, orc, and kobold allies a mastodon could be used in a more classic war elephant fashion.

i've also considered the Wolfen having bred a version of the Megahippus, which was a browsing multi-toe proto-horse from the Middle Miocene (16 to 10 MYA). it was the size of a modern draft horse. While it lived in light woodlands rather than the dense stuff like the northern wilderness (and in a slightly warmer climate) you could easily just declare a new species adapted to PFRPG. with a few centuries of selective breeding, such an animal could give the Wolfen an interesting pack animal and light duty riding animal. (not really suited to use with cavalry, but usable for more civilian purposes, like the Palfrey's of the IRL middle ages, which were lighter and weaker than a warhorse, but better at slow steady travel.)

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

I guess elephants in monsters and animals are bigger than mastodons, as the elephants in M&A can get up to 12ft tall and 20ft long. I always thought mammoths and mastodons were the same size so for mammoths I just put wool on elephants which upped their natural AR and made 4m the normal size.

2 coyle longbowman on the back of a mammoth would be a nightmare, the ballista doesn't do enough damage to make it worth it, but a human sized one could be fitted onto the back of one with mechanism to use the elephants trunk to re-cock.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

size depends on the species. the Mammoths were mostly the size of African Bush elephants. (Who are 13 feet tall at the shoulder. the biggest species of Mammoths about 15ft)

Mastodons are what mammoths and elephants derived from, they tended to be smaller and less bulky.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Elephant tusk swords are pretty cool.
RockJock
Knight

There are some bigger mammoth and mastodon species out there like Palaeoloxodon namadicus.

Mammoths and Mastodons overlapped in their time periods, and were not straight ancestors, but shared a common ancestor. The thought is that most mastodons were forest foragers versus open plains/tundra eaters like the Mammoth.
Tick
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Tick »

RockJock wrote:Palladium Fantasy has a few examples of prehistoric animals being given stats. Would any of you have an interest in seeing an expansion of this as a Rifter article?
yes! with ATB mutations upgraded and updated to match too!

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”