Witches pacts (spoilers for my players)

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Witches pacts (spoilers for my players)

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

In a minor pact, how long does the witch receive the "gift" to use if the pact?

If the pact is sworn to destroy a foe and the witch finally destroys the foe does the pact end immediately? Similar for first born sacrifice.

How do you guys play it?
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Re: Witches pacts (spoilers for my players)

Unread post by The Beast »

The Dark Elf wrote:In a minor pact, how long does the witch receive the "gift" to use if the pact?

If the pact is sworn to destroy a foe and the witch finally destroys the foe does the pact end immediately? Similar for first born sacrifice.

How do you guys play it?

Seeing how that's what happens with the servitude period pact I'd say the same thing happens with the other minor pacts.

As for how long it lasts, the only solid info we're given is that the witch has to start the mission of destroying their foe within two years and that it can take decades to complete.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

The signer of this pact receives the powers and abilities of witchcraft for the duration of his life time (as long as the condition of the pact is fulfilled).

(end of minor pacts description)

Unless its 50 years servitude. Powers end when the time is up.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Generally with Kiralon, here. You get to keep the powers once you're done with the deed.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Well there you go, witch wasn't copy pasted into second ed. That bit of info is from the first ed book.
Hendrik
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: What is genius? A Victim OCC (BtS 1st ed, p. 193 ss)! The ultimate hero is a victim conquering adversity.

Unread post by Hendrik »

I always saw this as a contract and treated it accordingly - for NPCs as I never had a Witch player character. As I see it, the "gift" is the consideration made available by the supernatural power against the service rendered, e.g. sacrifice of a first born, swearing to destroy a foe, etc.

The book gives examples, but I do not see them etched in stone. It depends on the pact made what the conditions are. The exiting part for me would be to negotiate the terms with the witch. Mind, the supernatural power is usually evil and devious. They will use that in a worse way than a telecommunications provider.

In some deals you get the gift after the service rendered (first you sacrifice the first born, then you get the power), in others right from the start in trust of the witch doing the deed (destroy the foe: it makes sense to boost your power to ensure that you destroy my enemy).
Handouts for Operation Minotaur (BtS Adventure published in RIFTER #83) Get them at the fabulous "House of BtS"![/quote]

May all your hits be crits!
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Thanks for your input all. Much appreciated.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”