Coastal storms

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Coastal storms

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

I'm curious as to what coasts in the Palladium World would see regular storm activity... do they brew in the Inland Sea, or off the coast of the South-Winds? Where would the hurricane-prone areas be?
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Re: Coastal storms

Unread post by kiralon »

Lemaria (lol)
Sea of Despair
Byzantium "The sea off the Great Northern Wilderness is cruel and treacherous, but it is a cruelty that I know well. I have been passing the time comparing the strengths of the various world navies based on our observations and on my estimates. First of all, we need not worry about an invasion ofour fair islands. Most of the southern fleets have ships that are far too delicate for our hardy ocean storms. "

Not Timiro
First, the ship designs of Timiro. They fall into three categories: warships, merchants, and galleys (which they call 'barges'). All the ships are large by Bizantium standards. They are also weak of hull and rig; since they never see storms of any strength, they confidently build huge warships that cannot face the teeth of the sea.

Tegyn peninsula does
The weather on the east coast can often be dreary and rainy. Fog often hugs the coastline most mornings, storms can sweep in suddenly and the fall season brings hurricanes.
The limestone island that New Crest is built upon is crescent
shaped and is just over three miles wide (5 km). The land thrusts
•40 feet (12.2 m) out of the ocean and thus its citizens are spared
the flooding that invariably accompanies hurricanes

Western Empire a little
Climatically, the northern half of the Western Empire is rather mild (similar to the mid-Atlantic United States) with hot summers and warm winters (temperatures rarely drop below 45 degrees Fahrenheit (7 C) at its coldest or rise above 90 (32 C); median temperature is around 78 degrees Fahrenheit(26 C)). These ideal temperatures, fertile lands (farming) and lush forests (lumber) are some of the important reasons why humans have flourished here for so long. The Western Empire experiences four seasons, but each of them is fairly mild, leading to consistent
year-round weather. This is a great boon to the land's farmers, who don't have to deal with severe heat, cold or storms ruining their crops, although the Empire does get ravaged by some strong storms and the occasional hurricane in the fall and winter month

Yin sloth sorta
The Giant's Run Mountains
The only truly desolate area in this jungle region is the short mountain chain named the Giant's Run. These majestic mountain peaks are devoid of vegetation except for small patches of determined moss, lichens and mountain valley forests. The weather unpredictable, with sudden, violent rainstorms and windstorms.

So eastern territories is the hurricane winner
Braden Campbell

Thanks. I'm just trying to put together a rough but somewhat plausible weather pattern for the continent.

It's possible that the Inland Sea, normally calm, might also see a days-long storm... albeit very rarely. (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mediterra ... ke_cyclone)
Braden, GMPhD

The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

kiralon wrote:Not Timiro
First, the ship designs of Timiro. They fall into three categories: warships, merchants, and galleys (which they call 'barges'). All the ships are large by Bizantium standards. They are also weak of hull and rig; since they never see storms of any strength, they confidently build huge warships that cannot face the teeth of the sea.

Tegyn peninsula does
The weather on the east coast can often be dreary and rainy. Fog often hugs the coastline most mornings, storms can sweep in suddenly and the fall season brings hurricanes.

That doesn't seem right. Timiro is next to the Tegyn Peninsula. New Crest is a little under 300 miles away from Timiro. That'd be like saying Jacksonville gets hurricanes but New Orleans doesn't.
Braden Campbell

There's a ley line triangle sitting off the coast of the South-Winds... could that be having some effect on the South Sea?
Braden, GMPhD

kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

The Beast wrote:
kiralon wrote:Not Timiro

Tegyn peninsula does

That doesn't seem right. Timiro is next to the Tegyn Peninsula. New Crest is a little under 300 miles away from Timiro. That'd be like saying Jacksonville gets hurricanes but New Orleans doesn't.

I guess its possiblish if the storms come in from the NE, but what effect does that big black wall have around palladium.
The red bits are quotes from the books, but making a sensible weather pattern is about as likely as figuring out why the rivers go where they do.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. Dragons & Gods, page 178, tells us there's a "hurricane and monsoon season in the South." The capital S is the book, apply any significance you wish to that.

Land of the South Winds (always mentioned first in a list in this section) and Timiro appear to be the main worshippers. Floenry Inslands as well (though not mentioned as often, and can be colonies or unsettled).

In contrast, Adventures on the High Seas (from an in-character narrative), says "the southern seas are always calm and peaceful. When we were in port a storm blew up. Barely a mild gale in our northern waters [snip] and four ships were capsized; one because of the weather, the other three because of the extreme stupidity of their masters."

We're told "always" calm and peaceful, with the qualifier a storm that legitimately capsized at least one ship (or at least one in view from port) is "calm and peaceful." We also do not know if this was during their hurricane and monsoon season.

Personal note: If Bizantium loses ships in what they consider mild weather, then they probably lose ships left and right. Or, more likely, hyperbole and puffing of one's chest (this does not mean everything stated is untrue).

Anyways, there was mention of hurricanes in an area, so thought to share the source. Farewell amd safe journeys for now.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Unread post by Greyaxe »

No Bray. there are no storms on any sea in Palladium. Why you may ask..... Argus the Paladin does not wish to have his horse drown.
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
Library Ogre
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

In fact, I'd say "Land of the South Winds" may give you an idea of the prevailing winds around there... you're not going to call it that if it's out of the northeast, after all.

My usual inclination would be to look at the US and somewhat base it off of that. So, the south of the continent gets battered by storms, while the west remains relatively dry. Assume that the prevailing winds for the continent are westward, but, locally, they tend to come from any big body of water... so the LotSW gets warm, wet air off the tropics, with the attendant hurricanes. Timiro, in a similar location, gets a number of them, and the Sea of Scarlet Waters and the Inland Sea get relatively few natural big storms.

But.

Consider, for a moment, the effect of air and water warlocks. Elemental magic likely causes some massive disruptions in "normal" storm patterns, and not all warlocks are land-dwelling humanoids. Does a kraken warlock like to drive fish up from the deeps by churning the water above with a hurricane? Or use it to sink ships? Does the odd wizard using Calm Storm effect the weather patterns at all? Is there some ancient artifact buried in the Floenrys that mute natural storms?
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

I would also point out that the Wall At The End of The World means there are no round the globe trade winds or the like.
So no Jet stream or its equivalents
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Braden Campbell

Clouds and ocean water seem to pass harmless through the Edge ( see the description in Byzantium)
Braden, GMPhD

Reagren Wright
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

South Sea effecting Timiro Kingdom.

The pebbled coastline of the South Sea is where one finds the oldest and most densely populated Timiro cities; most less than forty miles (64 km) from the coast. The land is warmed by the
southern ocean breezes. Winter is marked by occasional short, heavy rainstorms with an average temperature of 45 degrees Fahrenheit (7 degrees C). Summer is hot and rain may not fall for
weeks. During the summer, the average temperature is around 73 degrees Fahrenheit (23 degrees C), making the kingdom a subtropical paradise. Droughts have occurred, but with a good
number of skilled Warlocks throughout the kingdom, there has never been massive losses of crops or livestock. The Warlocks make certain to preserve and protect the kingdom and its holdings.
In the autumn and spring, rain can be torrential at times, but most storms are very brief, particularly in the autumn. The numerous vineyards along the coast thrive in this environment, and many
other crops also do well. The coastal area is, naturally, a source of fishing, and there are plentiful amounts of fish and shellfish along the coast.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”