Spell Parry

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Veknironth
Hero

Spell Parry

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, I think this might have been discussed before but I didn't see any mention of it so here I go. Many damaging spells offer a dodge as remedy. Fireball, Call lightning, etc.. That would take up an attack action, obviously, but would offer the chance of not being hit. Currently, spells level 1-5 require one attack action to cast, so roughly the same as dodging as far as the rules are concerned. Could you cast a lower level spell as a parry for a spell coming at you? Energy Field and Armor of Ithan would be logical options here, but maybe even something like Magic Net could be deployed in a defensive manner.

-Vek
"How long does it take to cast a low level spell, huh?"
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Re: Spell Parry

Unread post by kiralon »

p a r r y

sorry couldn't help myself.

I allow negate magic to be cast as a spell parry/dodge (because it does use an action) if a caster has negate magic and the magic lore skill, and makes his magic lore roll to see what the spell is.
but I also have perks that let a mage precast a spell (and spend the ppe/spell per day, which doesn't come back until the spell has gone off) so its a one set word action to cast, and that word will cast it even if said in everyday conversation.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

I don't see why not (straight die roll though). Psychics provide some precedent with the Super power of TK: Force Field being able to be used to parry an incoming attack by activation. That said it also might discourage it for magic given that it is supposed to be a "speed of thought" action for the psychic and a spell casting might be slower (even for a 1APM casting cost).

Additional precedent might also come from not all offensive spells require strike rolls, so if you could cast Blinding Flash w/o a strike Roll in a simultaneous strike situation I can't see why you couldn't cast AoI in a parry situation (though to avoid abuse I'd require the expenditure of an APM).
Veknironth
Hero

Well, SL, I completely agree with the attack action. It's like a dodge, in that it is a defensive maneuver that uses up an action. I should have said that in my initial post.

Now what about using something like Magic Net to intercept an incoming attack?

-Vek
"It would be a net loss, I know."
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Re: magic net (specifically)
It really depends on how the GM wants to view how the spell creates the net and the nature of the attack you are defending against (as a net it is porous so might allow an attack to travel through it unhindered and by the rules you take penalties to dodge/parry energy blasts/arrows/projectiles so you couldn't say throw up a magic net to catch some arrows fired at you or stop an Energy Bolt for example). By being formed I mean does it (#1) shoot out like Spiderman's webshooters (or a net gun) as an example or (#2) does it appear over/under the target(s) and drop/pull-up on them, or (#3) does the mage have to throw the magic net that forms in their hand? I really can't see #2 being a parry option, #3 would (since WP Net allows one to parry with a net), and #1 might be closer to an entangle than a parry (IMHO).
Veknironth
Hero

Well, I included it because the spell description states that magic and magic weapons can cut through it, but it takes 2 rounds. Of course, as you said, it doesn't spell out (intended) whether the net just appears on the target, or it emanates from the mage out towards the target. I always thought of it as web shooters, but that's certainly not canon.

But, let's assume that the net goes out from the caster and intercepts the fireball, or whatever. Does it just absorb the damage in a mid air explosion, or wrap around it and fall to the ground?

-Vek
"Now to look for other examples that will cloud the issue."
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

But on the whole I would say no, because using a wand or ring for example is 1 action and instead of parrying with a low level spell you parry with river of lava, or teleport or the like.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

For something solid like an arrow, it would probably intercept it and fall to the ground IF it manages to connect.

For something less solid like a fireball, I'm less sure of. The fireball maybe semi-intangible (or fluid) enough that it just passes right through the net. Magic Net doesn't stop gases from crossing the barrier like the Super Psionic Power of TK: Forcefield (Energy Field might also qualify due to its bubble like nature).
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

All that comes to mind is Deflection and Targeted Deflection, but while you use parries with them, you still have to activate them normally beforehand.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I'd allow it, but it wouldn't benefit from Parry bonuses, making it a bit less valuable as a tactic.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”