The Dragon Swords of Varameer

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Unread post by Whiskeyjack »

*Updated*
Another creation. Flipping between days and nights several times a week seems to have some benefits.
Please critique. Let me know what you like and hate. I'm planning to have one of these as loot in the next session. If they think to look around.

The Dragon Swords were the most famous weapons to come out of the Kingdom of Varameer during the Time of a Thousand Magics. This particular kingdom specialized in enchanted weapons, many of which had transformative powers. Some ancient texts hint at additional dragon swords based on some of the other species, with conflicting stories pointing to either one or seven swords that granted abilities based off of the mighty hydra.

Abilities common to all the swords:
Indestructible.
Bonds to its wielder after one month of use.
Sense dragons: Range 1 mile per level of experience. Can not pinpoint the location but gets a general sense of direction and whether it is near or far.
Speak dragonese 98%
Breath attacks. Most of the swords are capable of a breath attack that originates at the mouth of the dragon and descends down the blade off the tip. A few have energy attacks that originate from the eyes, and a couple have other abilities instead of a breath attack.
Once per year, the user can transform into an adult version of the dragon represented by their sword! The transformation lasts for a maximum of 24 hours. When changing, the sword and wielder meld together to become one. While transformed, the wielder has all of the physical attributes and abilities of that particular dragon type! This includes, flight, breath weapons, nightvision and bio-regeneration. Roll for the physical attributes, hit points and SDC while transformed. All dimensional, metamorphosis and magic abilities are unavailable. Once this ability has been used, it is unavailable for another full year from that day.
Unusual construction. Unlike most swords, the hilts on the dragon swords are turned sideways. The sharp edges are aligned with the upper and lower jaws of the dragons mouth that they come from.
Map of swords. During an equinox or solstice, any of the swords can be thrust into the ground at a ley line nexus. From two minutes prior to and following the solstice/equinox, the swords will project a map from their eyes of the closest dragon sword. The crystal dragon sword is an exception, showing the location of the 1D6 closest swords.

Sword of the Fire Dragon
A Lange Messer style sword with a hilt carved in the likeness of a fire dragon. The scales are bright red on the back, fading through orange to yellow on the belly. The wings form the cross guard and the tail curves up to offer protection for the hand. Two glowing rubies are set in the eyes.
Damage: 4D6, double damage to creatures of cold.
Fire breath: 6D6 damage, 200’, once per melee
The wielder is Impervious to fire and gains Nightvision 50’

Sword of the Ice Dragon
A Dao style sword with a hilt carved in the likeness of an ice dragon. The scales are dark blue on the back, fading through to a light sky blue on the belly. The wings form the cross guard and the tail curves up to offer protection for the hand. Two glowing sapphires are set in the eyes.
Damage: 4D6, double damage to creatures of fire.
Ice Breath: 5D6 damage, 200’, once per melee
The wielder is Impervious to fire and cold and gains Nightvision 50’

Sword of the Great Horned Dragon
A Falchion with a hilt carved in the likeness of a great horned dragon. The scales are golden across the entire body. The wings form the cross guard and the tail curves up to offer protection for the hand. Two glowing green garnets are set in the eyes.
Damage: 5D6, double damage to creatures of cold.
Fire breath: 4D6 damage, 100’, once per melee
The wielder is Resistant to fire and cold (half damage) and gains Nightvision 50’

Sword of the Kukulcan Dragon
A Scimitar with a hilt carved in the likeness of a Kukulcan dragon. Intricate silver feathers with white highlights cover its body. The wings form the cross guard and the tail curves up to offer protection for the hand. Two glowing amethysts are set in the eyes.
Damage: 3D6, double damage to creatures of darkness.
Poison breath: 3D6 damage, Save vs poison of 14 to take half damage, 100’, once per melee
The wielder gains Nightvision 50’

Sword of the Night Stalker Dragon
A cutlass with a hilt carved in the likeness of a Night stalker dragon. The scales are black on the back, fading through to a deep violet on the belly. The wings form the cross guard and the tail curves up to offer protection for the hand. Two sparkling white opals are set in the eyes.
Damage: 3D6, double damage to creatures of light.
Black Flame breath: 2D6 damage, double to supernatural beings, 100’, once per melee
Mortals struck by the flames must save vs magic magic (14). Those who fail are covered by the flames, their eyes turn black and they are consumed by dark thoughts for 2D4 melees. If they resist they suffer the following penalties: No initiative, attacks and combat bonuses are reduced by half unless committing an evil act. No effect if they save.
The wielder gains Nightvision 300’, but day vision is reduced by half range.

Sword of the Thunder Lizard Dragon
A two handed scimitar with a hilt carved in the likeness of a Thunder Lizard dragon. The scales are deep emerald on the back, fading to light green on the belly. Unlike the other dragon swords, this one has a more traditional cross guard. The legs of the dragon are folded into a resting position which affords a comfortable grip, as well as some hand protection in addition to the tail. Two glowing ambers are set in the eyes.
Damage: 6D6, double damage to creatures of supernatural evil.
Green flame breath: 1D6 damage to mortals, 3D6 to supernatural and dragons, 6D6 to elementals. 100’, Once per melee. Causes paralysis in those who fail to save versus magic (14) for 1D6 melees.
The wielder gains Nightvision 50’

Sword of the Basilisk
A short sword with a hilt carved in the likeness of a Basilisk dragon. The scales are black on the back, fading through to a dark grey on the belly. The legs are formed into a basked hilt along with the tail. Two glowing rubies are set in the eyes.
Damage: 2D6, double damage to elemental creatures of air and air warlocks.
Eye beams of petrification. Once per melee the eyes can shoot forth a red beam up to 100’. Anyone hit must save vs magic of 13. Those who fail are instantly petrified! Unlike the power of the true basilisk though, the petrification only lasts for 1D6 melee rounds. Like the basilisks beams, metal armour may take the petrification instead of its wearer (75% chance) and reflective surfaces can redirect the beams back to the wielder.
The wielder gains Nightvision 100’.

Sword of the Cockatrice
A Kopis style sword with a hilt carved in the likeness of a Cockatrice dragon. Intricate brownish red feathers are carved over the body, with similarly coloured scales on the neck, legs, and tail. The wings form the cross guard and the tail curves up to offer protection for the hand. Two dull green jade gemstones are set in the eyes.
Damage: 2D6, double damage to elemental creatures of earth, earth warlocks and druids, and any type of plant creatures.
Breath of death. 6D6 damage to any who fail vs magic of 15. Those who save loose initiative. 60’, once per melee.
The wielder gains Nightvision 100’ and a phobia of roosters.

Sword of the Winterserpent
A dao style sword with a hilt carved in the likeness of a Winterserpent dragon. This sword looks incredibly similar to the sword of the ice dragon. The scales are light blue on the back, fading through to white on the belly. The wings form the cross guard and the tail curves up to offer protection for the hand. Two glowing sapphires are set in the eyes.
Damage: 4D6, double damage to creatures of fire.
Aspect of ice. Once a week, the user can transform into living ice! While turned into ice, they have a natural AR of 16 and are completely buoyant. Lasts for 1D6+1 minutes per level
The wielder is Impervious to cold and gains Nightvision 100’

Sword of the Crystal Dragon
A khopesh sword with a hilt carved in the likeness of a Crystal dragon. Appearing to have been made out of pure crystal, its colour constantly changes depending on the lighting. All colours of the spectrum can be glimpsed shimmering from within. The wings form the cross guard and the tail curves around to protect the hand. Two glowing sapphires are set in the eyes.
Damage: 3D6, double damage to creatures of darkness.
The crystal dragon sword has two ranged attack abilities. One ability can be used per melee.
Laser beams. Shot from the eyes they inflict 4D6 damage +1 per level of experience. Range 500’. The lasers can be used indefinitely while in daylight. Every hour of daylight the sword is exposed to will charge two blasts during the following night, up to a maximum 12 hours/24 blasts. At night, two charges can be used at once to double the damage of the blast.
Magic flame. 4D6 damage +1 per level of experience. Range 150’. This fire only damages entities, astral beings, spirits and the intangible.
The wielder gains Nightvision 500’

Sword of the Chiang-Ku
A katana with a hilt carved in the likeness of a Chiang-Ku dragon. This particular sword has no cross guard. The scales are emerald green across the body. Two glowing yellow fluorite gems are set in the eyes.
Damage: 3D6, double damage to shapeshifting creatures (including were creatures, vampires, dragons and changelings).
The sword of the Chiang-Ku has no breath attack abilities. Instead, the sword allows the user to metamorphosis into another humanoid form once a week for 10 minutes per level of experience! As with the other swords, the user can still transform into an adult Chiang-Ku once a year.
The wielder gains Nightvision 45’

Sword of the Kumo-Mi
A Kalis style sword (wavy blade) with a hilt carved in the likeness of a Kumo-Mi Dragon. Once common in the mountainous regions of Palladium, they haven’t been seen in millennia. The scales are white with green highlights. Two glowing diamonds are set in the eyes.
Damage: 4D6, Double damage to elemental creatures of earth, earth warlocks.
Lightning breath. 5D6 damage, 400’. Once per melee.
The wielder gains Nightvision 600’ as well as an extreme silver allergy. Touching silver inflicts 1D4 damage. Weapons plated in silver inflict double damage!

After the destruction of Varameer, the swords were taken by dragons and hidden away throughout the world. Over time, several have been found, and once even given, to mortals and used in the world. Once the transformative power is used, word spread quickly and it is only a matter of time before dragons will begin hunting whoever holds the sword.
Additionally, a bit of the greed of the dragon will begin to seep in to most users. For every year in possession, there is a cumulative 20% chance if evil, 10% chance if selfish, and 5% chance if good of succumbing to the curse. If the curse is resisted for four years, the weapon can be used without issue forever by that person. Those who fail will begin to covet and hoard wealth, especially gold and jewels. They will always try and take as much loot gained from adventuring, and may even be desperate enough to steal to obtain more. Selfish and evil people will steal from whoever, but good people will target thieves, churches of dark gods and corrupt leaders for their wealth. While the stealing may be somewhat justified, it tends to create significant enemies very quickly, and eventually a shift to a selfish alignment.
Last edited by Whiskeyjack on Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Re: The Dragon Swords of Varameer

Unread post by kiralon »

I think your players would enjoy having to call out the 'dragon' word to activate the weapons
Just think up some cool sounding words
I'd also use sheet/ball lightning as a breath weapon for the thunder lizard.
and the nightstalker breathe is a bit odd, pc's would be more likely to do evil acts if they saved then if they made the save. also there needs to be a duration for the failed save negatives (and id be inclined to swap what the breath weapon does when fail is saved/made)
Jack Burton
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Jack Burton »

Very creative! Am I reading this right in that people wielding some of these swords have night vision (and possible day vision penalties) while it is in their hands?
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

kiralon wrote:I think your players would enjoy having to call out the 'dragon' word to activate the weapons
and the nightstalker breathe is a bit odd, pc's would be more likely to do evil acts if they saved then if they made the save. also there needs to be a duration for the failed save negatives (and id be inclined to swap what the breath weapon does when fail is saved/made)

The breath attacks are taken directly from the respective dragon species. I was kind of hoping for a dragon that had an electrical attack but I'm not aware of one. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the nigh stalker one. It's an odd attack.
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Jack Burton wrote:Very creative! Am I reading this right in that people wielding some of these swords have night vision (and possible day vision penalties) while it is in their hands?

Thanks Jack!
That is correct. While in possession they get nightvision, and in the case of the Night Stalker sword, poor day vision.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Whiskeyjack wrote:
kiralon wrote:I think your players would enjoy having to call out the 'dragon' word to activate the weapons

The breath attacks are taken directly from the respective dragon species. I was kind of hoping for a dragon that had an electrical attack but I'm not aware of one. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the nigh stalker one. It's an odd attack.

The way I play the nightstalker breath weapon is if they save they are only burnt, if they fail to save all sorts of dark things that come to mind they will do, and if they then try to fight off the evil impulses they do, but get the negatives mentioned as most of their concentration is used on not being evil.

And id just use GM fiat with the breath weapon of the thunder lizard and change it to lightning, looks cooler.
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

New swords coming up tonight! I even got a lightning one for you Kiralon. I have one left to do, and then have to proof read them.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

:) Cool
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Updated the original post with the additional swords, as well as a bit of additional text to help clarify a spot or two.
I'm going to try my hand at a fragment from the Tristine Chronicles talking about the Kingdom of Varameer.
Last edited by Whiskeyjack on Mon May 14, 2018 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Very Nice
I'd make the crystal sword sunlight absorbing
Say for each minute held up in the sun it gains 1 light charge, each light charge causes the sword glow and give out +10ft light radius so after 10 minutes it can either glow for 10 hrs (losing 1 charge per hour) or shoot out a variable beam that does 1d6 damage per charge used. So a fully charged glows and gives light out to 100ft radius and can shoot a beam that does 10d6 damage (which will drain it and require recharging)
Globe of daylight gives 1 temporary charge a round that only lasts while the globe of daylight running, so with a globe of daylight it can shoot out a 1d6 damage beam per round.
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

That's actually the way that the actual dragon's power works, but it seemed to make it a bit complicated to remember.
I'll try and come up with a simplified way to do it.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

lol, I tought it was the crystal golem but hey. Just give the player with the sword a 1d10 to keep track of the charges.
It makes the sword a little more dangerous to 1 person and less dangerous to groups. and you can do a raiders of the lost ark thing where if they sword is put in a particular location on a certain day/night the sun/moon/starlight will light up another place to find a cool McGuffin, or if they shine a certain types of light through the sword it will actually show a map 'gasp'
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

You just gave me a cool idea for a feature common to all the swords. I'll see if I'm up for updating it tonight after work.
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Two new changes. I bolded them in the first post.
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

It wasn’t until the armies poured forth from the fields of rodamir to assault the capital city of the Kingdom of Varmaeer that the mages within unleashed the most powerful weapons they had ever created. The Dragon Swords of Varameer! Over twenty full grown dragons of almost every species known sprang forth from the cities walls to descend upon the hapless armies of the Alserian Confederacy. Each dragon, a transformed warrior bonded to their weapon, rent the invading soldiers and mages, sending them fleeing for their lives while the people of Varmeer cheered. Their elation would be short lived, for in creating the dragon swords in haste, they had let slip the secret of their making. And the great Wyrms, when they learned of their kin that had been slain to power the weapons, descended on the kingdom with breath and magic. No building remained standing and few escaped with their lives. And though the serpents could not destroy the swords their kind had died for, they scattered them to the corners of the world, into secret places, so they could not be controlled by mortals again.

- The Tristine Chronicles
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

That's pretty cool, nicely done sir.
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

kiralon wrote:That's pretty cool, nicely done sir.

Thank you!
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

The Sword of the Ice Dragon is now in possession of the group. Of course they have no idea what the sword does or even if it is magical at the moment. It hasn't even been claimed by anyone yet.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Interesting. I would suggest you incorporate some drawbacks for the swords as well: not curses per se, but perhaps something else. Maybe all dragons hate these things, and anyone carrying one, with a vengeance. Perhaps the swords interfere with other abilities. Maybe they have some subtle way of corrupting the wielder if over-used.

There should be a reason why these things disappeared.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

The main reason for their disappearance is the fact that each one was forged with the death of a dragon. That was what caused the destruction of Varameer. While not every dragon will react with murderous intent, and there are many who don't know of their existence, they are a fairly common piece of dragon lore and most dragons will want the weapons handed over at the least. Evil dragons will probably seek the destruction of whoever wields one. That said, your average dragon won't know one by sight, but once the transformative power is used, word will spread and the hunt will begin.
There have been instances where an exceptional individual has been allowed to wield one without repercussions (at least from certain dragons), but they are very rare (only two instances known).
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Actually, you just gave me an idea for an drawback that is rather dragon like.
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

I made some updates at the bottom of the page.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”