Dwarven Thorandrum - Battle Master

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Dwarven Thorandrum - Battle Master

Unread post by Whiskeyjack »

I'm still slowly going through my creations from before the years started with a 2. This is the latest one I've kind of refined. Looking for any feedback on it.
I'm still looking for a proper Dwarven name for both the class, and their weapon.
They are a class that does have some mystical abilities. For my game world they exist in a few lost clans in the most remote mountain ranges. Only about 10 or so are still found in the world, although that number has begun to increase in the last decade, for reasons unknown.

Dwarven Thorandrum - Battle-master
The Dwarven Thorandrum used to be the heart of the Dwarven armies. They were the commanders and lieutenants who led their troops into battle against the forces of darkness and later against the Elves. During the Elf-Dwarf War it was they who gave the Dwarven empire its greatest victories. One Thorandrum would usually take down twenty to thirty Elves before they were slain. Unfortunately, their numbers were always low. Only one in every thousand Dwarves has the potential to become a Thorandrum, and of these, only one in five ever becomes the epitome of Dwarven battle prowess. Those that do become the heroes of their people and one of the deadliest fighters on the Palladium world.
Always easy to find on the battle field, one simply followed the sound of their chanting. All Thorandrum knew hundreds of the great Dwarven Battle Hymns and sung them for the entire length of every battle. Around them would be the bravest Dwarven warriors, who were ready for the onslaught of enemies that would be drawn to them.
Unlike the Zundthren, the mystical Battle Chanters, there was no magic in the singing of the Thorandrum except when they were in front of the forge. There they would sing while they worked, with their ambient PPE slowly infusing their work, creating amazing quality weapons and armour. When it came time to craft their Thoradrim, the feared Battle Weapon, it even imparted magical abilities on the weapon!
Even in day to day life the Thorandrum was seldom without a song on his lips, or a hum in her throat. They have a song for every occasion, whether travelling, fighting, a wedding, funeral and a thousand more. Loud raucous folk songs, lively sea shanties, and soft wordless hums.
While they were spared from persecution during the millennium of purification, there were so few left, that they almost completely vanished from the world. Today, they are only found in the most remote Dwarven clans, usually in the Northern, Algor, and Baalgor mountains, where they have lived cut off from the outside world. In recent years there has be a resurgence in their numbers, leading their clans to speculate that there will be a need for such warriors in the near future. Whether or not this is true, there will definitely be danger as they come into contact with their Dwarven kin who will take serious issue with these Dwarves and the quasi-mystical abilities.

Alignments: Almost all Battle-masters are Scrupulous 40% or Unprincipled 40% but they can be any.

Attribute Minimum Requirements: I.Q. 10 or higher, M.A. 13 or higher, P.S. 17 or higher, P.E. 15 or
higher.

O.C.C. Bonuses: +2 to M.E., P.S., P.P., and P.E., and 2D4 to Spd. +2 to save vs horror factor +1 at levels 3,7,11, and 15. +2 to save vs poison/magic, +1 to initiative at levels 2,5,8,11, and 14. +1 attack per melee at levels 3, and 7! +20 to S.D.C..
The skin of a Thorandrum becomes extremely tough, giving them an A.R. of 8. Strength also becomes equivalent to giant for lifting/throwing and supernatural at two levels below their P.S. for damage.

P.P.E. Base: 6D6+10. Add 1D6 per level of experience.

Skill note: While many players will want to choose a ton of physical skills to optimize their character for combat, it is surprisingly not the Battle Master way. Their OCC skills fill in the physical needs of their class. Dwarves who walk this path are quite often drawn to the many crafting skills available to fill their time between battles with relaxing hobbies. Many are excellent brewers, sculptors, carvers, builders, cooks and gardeners.

O.C.C. Skills:
Speak and literate in Dwarven 98%
Elven and one language of choice +20%
Sing +20% (professional quality)
Metalworking (see Dwarf) +30%
Detect Ambush +10%
Intelligence +6%
Recognize Weapon Quality +25%
Body Building
Forced March
Wrestling
Math: Basic +15%
Lore: Magic +15%
WP Battle-Axe, Blunt, or Sword (use main weapon WP).
WP Shield
WP one of choice.
Hand to Hand: Expert (cannot be changed).

O.C.C. Related Skills:
Select six additional skills of choice at level one, plus select one additional skill at levels three, seven, ten, and thirteen.
Communications: Any
Domestic: Any +10%.
Espionage: Any except Pick Locks, Pick Pockets, and Sniper.
Horsemanship: None
Medical: Brewing and First-Aid only. +15% to Brewing
Military: Any, except Falconry +10%
Physical: Any, except Acrobatics, Gymnastics and running +10%
Rogue: Any, except Pick Locks and Pick Pockets. +5%
Science: Any.
Scholar: Any. +20% to Gemology, General Repair, Masonry, Rope Works, and Sculpting.
Weapon Proficiencies: Any
Wilderness: Any. +10% to Boat Building, Carpentry, and Dowsing.

Secondary Skills:
The character also gets to select four secondary skills from the previous list at level one, and one at levels four, eight, and twelve.

Special Abilities
Forge-fire
Turns any ordinary fire into a fire suitable to use for forging.
P.P.E.: 15
Song Length: 1 hour while building the fire
Duration: 1 hour per level of experience.

Sharpen blade
When used while sharpening a blade it doubles the amount of time for the blade to dull and adds +1 to damage as well as reducing any AR it strikes against by 1. This is the one ability that Battle Masters will usually use for simple travelling companions, instead of only close friends.
P.P.E.: 5
Song Length: 30 minutes
Duration: Until the weapon needs another sharpening. Usually about 4 battles.

Forge Arms and Armor
The song used for standard forging of weapons and armour. While the Thorandrum is considered a master smith and can forge weapons and armour with all the standard bonuses, they usually reserve this for personal items, or for very close friends. They may take on jobs if in need of cash or occasionally if bored.
P.P.E.: 30
Song Length: 4 to 8 hours
Effect: Items forged in this manner will be minor magical items. While they will never have any abilities, they are considered magical and will harm creatures immune to normal weapons.
Note: Depending on the item being forged, it could take as little as one session, or several. It’s up to the GM’s discretion on how long each item should take.

Forge Thoradrim (Battle Weapon)
This is the weapon for which the Thorandrum are both known and feared. When a Thorandrum reaches fifth level they gain the ability to craft this magical weapon. When they have the proper metals collected they begin the forging process. The forge-flame is used and will last until the weapon is complete. The entire forging process takes about one week (5+1D4 days) during which the Dwarf does nothing but work on the weapon (doesn't stop to rest, eat or drink).
A Thorandrum will only make one Thoradrim and will use it exclusively until it is either broken or lost. If at all possible, the Thorandrum will retrieve the weapon. Only if broken or lost forever will a new Battle Weapon be forged. The broken weapon will always be melted down to be re-forged into the new weapon. Note: Breaking one of these weapons is next to impossible. They must be specifically targeted and must take 10 times their maximum damage in one hit before having a 30% chance of breaking.
The weapon is linked to the life force of its maker. When he/she dies, the weapon immediately loses all bonuses and will quickly rust away to nothing.
Damage: 3D6+6
Bonuses: +2 to strike and parry.
+1 to strike when thrown (excellently balanced)

Weapon Power (pick one)
Returns when thrown. (Usually reserved for axes)
Increased damage: add 1d6+6 to damage.
Increased balance: add +2 to strike and parry and +1 to strike when thrown.
Does double damage to one of the following: demons, deevils, gods, elementals, giants, elves, supernatural evil, or magic (creatures and constructs). (double damage to Elves is extremely rare now as most Thorandrum have beyond the animosity of the past)

Weapon Mastery
The Thorandrum must choose which weapon will be his main weapon. After choosing they focus on that weapon almost exclusively. Almost all use a one handed weapon with a shield. They will be proficient in usually only one other weapon just as a backup.
W.P. Battle axe, sword, or blunt.
In addition to the W.P. bonuses, they also gain the following combat bonuses when using their main weapon and armour when they have been custom made (double the cost for the armour).
Level 1: Advanced weapon care +1 to strike and damage from keeping weapon in optimal condition.
Level 2: Offense/defence mastery. Whenever a natural 19 or 20 is rolled to parry, gets a free punch or kick attack. The attack can be parried/dodged as normal
Level 3: Combat mastery. +1 attack be melee; +2 to damage
Level 4: Offence mastery. Increase critical range by +1
Level 5: Defence mastery. AR increases by +1 due to constant use. +2 to parry and dodge.
Level 6: Armour mastery. Reduce encumbrance penalties from heavy armour by half. Armour takes ¼ of your damage from falls.
Level 7: Combat mastery. +1 attack per melee; Shield damage increases to 2D6.
Level 8: Armour and defence mastery. Reduce damage taken to armour by -5 points per hit; +2 to parry with a shield.
Level 9: Offense/defence mastery. Whenever a natural 18, 19 or 20 is rolled to parry, gets a free punch or kick attack. The attack can be parried/dodged as normal.
Level 10: Armour mastery. Decrease AR of opponents by -1 including natural armour.
Level 11: Offence mastery. On a critical hit, inflict normal damage x3.
Level 12: Offence mastery. Increase critical range by +1; +2 to damage.
Level 13: Defence mastery. When using a shield, creates an impenetrable wall. +1 to A.R. as long as the shield is used.
Level 14: Armour mastery. Reduce damage taken to armour by an additional -5 points per hit (-10 total).
Level 15: Offense/defence mastery. Whenever a natural 17, 18, 19 or 20 is rolled to parry, gets a free punch or kick attack. The attack can be parried/dodged as normal.

Equipment: Two sets of clothing, boots, gloves, belt, bedroll, backpack, 4 small sacks, water skin, tinder box, knife and a set of smithing tools.
Weapons: Starts with one weapon of choice of Dwarven quality worth 3D4x100 gold, and one suit of armour of Dwarven quality worth 3D4x100 gold. Use the stats for Dwarven quality to determine the bonuses to each within the price range. Also has a shield of choice, and a second weapon of good quality.

Money: Starts with 100 gold pieces.
Last edited by Whiskeyjack on Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Re: Dwarven Battle Master

Unread post by kiralon »

I'd probably change weapon mastery for one, keep the normal wp bonuses and do things like
and let them choose between weapon mastery or armour mastery.

Lvl1: Weapon Care. This is his axe, without him his axe is useless, without his axe he is useless etc. Improved weapon care allows +1 Strike or +1 Parry or +1 damage. (Player chooses one).
Lvl2: Battlemaster knows his weapon and where it needs to go. +1 to crit range (20 becomes 19 or 20, you still need a nat 20 to auto penetrate armour)
Lvl3: If Battlemaster Parries and gets 15 points higher he gets a free kick attack taken immediately (Roll to hit with a kick, opponent can parry/dodge as per normal).
Lvl4: Chosen weapon criticals better. When you roll damage for a crit reroll any and all 1's once.
Improved Weapon Care, Choose one of the bonuses from level 1 and apply to your weapon
Lvl5: If Battlemaster Parries and gets 10 points higher he gets a free kick attack taken immediately (Roll to hit with a kick, opponent can parry/dodge as per normal).
and so on
But I'd also add

Armour Mastery
Has to be for armour that has been tailored to the wearer (x2 cost) and is uncomfortable for everyone else to wear (1hp damage a day, -1 ar)
Lvl1: Armour care and Maintenance. Allows wearer to repair and additional 1d4 sdc per hour with a basic tool kit (Requires successful blacksmith or general repair roll).
Lvl2: Deflect the blow, training in angling the body so blows are deflected rather than stopped. Get +2 AR when dodging
Lvl3: I can fly, Your armour takes 1/4 of your falling damage.
Lvl4: Trust in your armour, Give up parry and dodge for the entire round and get +1 per 2 levels to Crit range, Armour Penetration, Damage. Reroll 1 and 2's of criticals. Bonus tops out at +5
Lvl 5: Better deflection. Gain +1 to non rigid and +2 to rigid armour rating. Ignore 3 points of damage to armour to a minimum of 1
and so on

Not all bonuses have to be strike and parry.
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Thanks for the reply kiralon. I like the ideas. I’ll have a look over the class again this week and see what I can do.
How did you like the rest of the class?
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Thanks for the reply kiralon. I like the ideas. I’ll have a look over the class again this week and see what I can do.
How did you like the rest of the class?
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

looks pretty good, id swap detect ambush for racial histories and magic lore for monster lore and add the prerequisite of 13 MA as well.
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Racial Histories is another new one for me. I can't find it in the big list of skills either. Detect ambush is quite a good one I think of their position as leaders in the battle field, as it gives them a tactical ability.
Magic Lore I specifically put there for the fact that they were instrumental in the Elf-Dwarf War. With all the magics that the Elves would have used, that would give them the ability to discern what magics are being deployed, and how to best counter them.
I like the MA of 13. That makes it naturally out of range of all but the most exceptional Dwarf.
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

I went through and made some changes, including giving them level advancements like you suggested kiralon.
I'm not sure if this will make the class OP or not. Have a read and let me know what you think.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

If the dwarf got the MA requirement I'd allow it in a second ed game. It looks a bit like my version of the paladin.
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

kiralon wrote:If the dwarf got the MA requirement I'd allow it in a second ed game. It looks a bit like my version of the paladin.

I have one of those too. :)
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Re: Dwarven Thorandrum - Battle Master

Anyone other than kiralon have any comments, ideas, likes dislikes etc?
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Whiskeyjack wrote:Anyone other than kiralon have any comments, ideas, likes dislikes etc?

There's a lot to like here:
+Mystic-Warrior-Smith is an interesting concept that hasn't been done in Palladium Fantasy (though it has two counterparts I know of in Rifts, the Scathach from England and the Kunzya from Mystic Russia).
+This O.C.C. feels very consistent with the eras before, during, and immediately after the Elf-Dwarf wars.
+The concept of a chanting warrior monk smith dwarf has a natural appeal
+Song magic is an interesting mechanic

I also have some concerns:
-This character is awesome at smithing and fighting, eclipsing both the blacksmith and dedicated men at arms in their own chosen specialties, and the skill bonuses are prodigious for their OCC related list. Throw in the basic OCC bonuses, and this is a very high-powered O.C.C. that doesn't seem to have any significant drawbacks or weaknesses. While balance per se isn't a big deal in Palladium's games, this kind of power and skill should be driven by the character's purpose and lifestyle. On that note:
-What role would this OCC perform in society? Smith, warrior, craftsman, and bard? Why would dwarves combine these roles into one? Why would they need such people to be awesome at all of these roles? What's wrong with using conventional classes to fulfill these roles?
-How does this magic-based O.C.C. gel with the modern-day dwarf restriction against magic O.C.C.'s?
-Why are they so predominantly good in their alignment?
-A good O.C.C. isn't just a collection of powers and abilities; it's a way of life and a catalyst for adventure. Palladins fight demons and monsters. Assassins are hired killers. Mercenary fighters sell their sword-arms for coin. Men of magic seek knowledge. What does this character class pursue? What makes them tick? How do other people see them? What kinds of conflicts attract or drive them to do what they do?
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Thanks for the very well thought out reply Hotrod.
The power level was my main concern when making the OCC. I rolled up a character using the initial rules, and it seemed to be fairly decent without being stupid powerful. I think my sons Wolfen merc is of a very similar power level combat wise.
I'll answer your questions as best as I can for what I'm thinking.
Role in society: Armour/weapon smith and warrior. Predominantly warrior though. While they are great singers, it is done mainly for themselves, to focus their skill/magic, and just for the enjoyment.
Why combine? No idea. :) I thought it would make for a cool class. My first thought would be that the magic to make their weapons, links them directly to it, unlike a traditional alchemist or rune smith. Being able to make a weapon that only you can use, means that you better know how to use it. This developed into a style of training for the few that could make the weapons.
As for modern day Dwarves, my description hints a bit at it. For someones campaign, they can use them as an OCC during an ancient time or a forgotten class. In my setting, they exist in clans that have been cut off since the elf/dwarf war. It is only in recent years that they have increased in number, leaving them to believe that there is a reason. Modern Dwarves will be an interesting challenge to them, as they may react suspiciously or be down right hostile. Their saving grace is the fact that their abilities are very limited, and they don't actually know spell magic. If I make the battle chanter, then that class may indeed have a larger issue with modern dwarves, as their abilities would be seen to mimic traditional spells more closely.
Why the good alignments? I'll have to think on an in world explanation for that one. My main thought is that they strive to uphold the best of Dwarven ideals and inspire those around them, leading them to be predominantly good. Any that saw too much war and horror and slid down to selfish or evil would make for a good villain.
As to what drives them, they seek to protect the Dwarven clans and inspire those who follow them into battle to fight with honour for their clan. They are also driven to weed out evil in the world, especially supernatural evil that may be difficult for regular people to stop.

My turn for questions! :)
What would you recommend to balance the character out a bit more? I actually reduced some of the original bonuses.
Should I reduce some of the OCC bonuses? Skill bonuses? I think the skill selection is decent and limited enough, although I could reduce the number they get as they level.
Should the combat bonuses be altered? kiralon suggested a few other advances that were more skill oriented. I could put in a few more of those and reduce the over all combat bonuses.
As you mentioned, they don't really have a weakness. Perhaps they should? What comes to mind as potential weakness?
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

I went through the class again and made some changes. There is a bit more fluff text at the start. I also cut back on some of the bonuses, notably the extra attacks and a couple of the RCC skill bonuses. Let me know how the class looks now.

Dwarven Thorandrum
During the early days of the Dwarven race, a smith worked on one of her weapons to aid in the defense of their clan. As she worked, she sang to herself, as she always did. It helped her concentrate and kept the rhythm of the hammer at a nice consistent pace. When completed, she was amazed to learn that the weapon had been imbued with magical properties. Unlike the weapons of magic made by the rune smiths and mage smiths, this one was attuned solely to her.
The priests, mystics and sages determined that her abilities were not learned, but were a mystic ability that she had been born with. It would take many decades for the Dwarves to finally be able to test for younglings with the same potential. Since they could only create a single magical weapon for their own use, they began to train them to become the best possible Dwarven warriors.
Placing them into small units, they served as weapons master, armourer, and most importantly the heart of the fighting unit. These groups went on the most dangerous of missions, protected the most valuable items, and were the last units to retreat from a lost battle. These were the Thorandrum, the Dwarven Battle Masters.
The Dwarven Thorandrum used to be the heart of the Dwarven armies. They were the commanders and lieutenants who led their troops into battle against the forces of darkness and later against the Elves. During the Elf-Dwarf War it was they who gave the Dwarven empire its greatest victories. One Thorandrum would usually take down twenty to thirty Elves before they were slain. Unfortunately, their numbers were always low. Only one in every thousand Dwarves has the potential to become a Thorandrum, and of these, only one in five ever becomes the epitome of Dwarven battle prowess. Those that do become the heroes of their people and one of the deadliest fighters on the Palladium world.
Always easy to find on the battle field, one simply followed the sound of their chanting. All Thorandrum knew hundreds of the great Dwarven Battle Hymns and sung them for the entire length of every battle. Around them would be the bravest Dwarven warriors, who were ready for the onslaught of enemies that would be drawn to them.
Unlike the Zundthren, the mystical Battle Chanters, there was no magic in the singing of the Thorandrum except when they were in front of the forge. There they would sing while they worked, their ambient PPE slowly infusing their work, creating amazing quality weapons and armour. When it came time to craft their Thoradrim, the feared Battle Weapon, it even imparted magical abilities on the weapon!
Even in day to day life the Thorandrum was seldom without a song on his lips, or a hum in her throat. They have a song for every occasion, whether travelling, fighting, a wedding, funeral and a thousand more. Loud raucous folk songs, lively sea shanties, and soft wordless hums.
While they were spared from persecution during the millennium of purification, there were so few left, that they almost completely vanished from the world. Today, they are only found in the most remote Dwarven clans, usually in the Northern, Algor, and Baalgor mountains, where they have lived cut off from the outside world. In recent years there has be a resurgence in their numbers, leading their clans to speculate that there will be a need for such warriors in the near future. Whether or not this is true, there will definitely be danger as they come into contact with their Dwarven kin who will take serious issue with these Dwarves and their quasi-mystical abilities.

Alignments: Almost all Battle-masters are Scrupulous 40% or Unprincipled 40% but they can be any. Whether divine, or simply biological, those born with the potential to become a Thorandrum are generally kind and caring Dwarves, not at all prone to violence.

Attribute Minimum Requirements: I.Q. 10 or higher, M.A. 13 or higher, P.S. 17 or higher, P.E. 15 or
higher.

O.C.C. Bonuses: +2 to M.E., P.S., P.P., and P.E., and 2D4 to Spd. +2 to save vs horror factor +1 at levels 3,7,11, and 15. +2 to save vs poison/magic, +1 to initiative at levels 2,5,8,11, and 14. +20 to S.D.C..
The skin of a Thorandrum becomes extremely tough, giving them an A.R. of 8. Strength also becomes equivalent to giant for lifting/throwing and supernatural at two levels below their P.S. for damage.

P.P.E. Base: 6D6+10. Add 1D6 per level of experience.

Skill note: While many players will want to choose a ton of physical skills to optimize their character for combat, it is surprisingly not the Battle Master way. Their OCC skills fill in the physical needs of their class. Dwarves who walk this path are quite often drawn to the many crafting skills available to fill their time between battles with relaxing hobbies. Many are excellent brewers, sculptors, carvers, builders, cooks and gardeners.

O.C.C. Skills:
Speak and literate in Dwarven 98%
Elven and one language of choice +20%
Sing +20% (professional quality)
Metalworking (see Dwarf) +20%
Detect Ambush +10%
Intelligence +6%
Recognize Weapon Quality +20%
Body Building
Forced March
Wrestling
Math: Basic +15%
Lore: Magic +15%
WP Battle-Axe, Blunt, or Sword (use main weapon WP).
WP Shield
WP one of choice.
Hand to Hand: Expert (cannot be changed).

O.C.C. Related Skills:
Select six additional skills of choice at level one, plus select one additional skill at levels three, seven, ten, and thirteen.
Communications: Any
Domestic: Any +10%.
Espionage: Any except Pick Locks, Pick Pockets, and Sniper.
Horsemanship: None
Medical: Brewing and First-Aid only. +15% to Brewing
Military: Any, except Falconry +10%
Physical: Any, except Acrobatics, Gymnastics and running +10%
Rogue: Any, except Pick Locks and Pick Pockets. +5%
Science: Any.
Scholar: Any. +20% to Gemology, General Repair, Masonry, Rope Works, and Sculpting.
Weapon Proficiencies: Any
Wilderness: Any. +10% to Boat Building, Carpentry, and Dowsing.

Secondary Skills:
The character also gets to select four secondary skills from the previous list at level one, and one at levels four, eight, and twelve.

Special Abilities
Forge-fire
Turns any ordinary fire into a fire suitable to use for forging.
P.P.E.: 15
Song Length: 1 hour while building the fire
Duration: 1 hour per level of experience.

Sharpen blade
When used while sharpening a blade it doubles the amount of time for the blade to dull and adds +1 to damage as well as reducing any AR it strikes against by 1. This is the one ability that Battle Masters will usually use for simple travelling companions, instead of only close friends.
P.P.E.: 5
Song Length: 30 minutes
Duration: Until the weapon needs another sharpening. Usually about 4 battles.

Forge Arms and Armor
The song used for standard forging of weapons and armour. While the Thorandrum is considered a master smith and can forge weapons and armour with all the standard bonuses, they usually reserve this for personal items, or for very close friends. They may take on jobs if in need of cash or occasionally if bored.
P.P.E.: 30
Song Length: 4 to 8 hours per session
Effect: Items forged in this manner will be minor magical items. While they will never have any abilities, they are considered magical and will harm creatures immune to normal weapons.
Note: Depending on the item being forged, it could take as little as one session, or several. It’s up to the GM’s discretion on how long each item should take.

Forge Thoradrim (Battle Weapon)
This is the weapon for which the Thorandrum are both known and feared. When a Thorandrum reaches fifth level they gain the ability to craft this magical weapon. When they have the proper metals collected they begin the forging process. The forge-flame is used and will last until the weapon is complete. The entire forging process takes about one week (5+1D4 days) during which the Dwarf does nothing but work on the weapon (doesn't stop to rest, eat or drink).
A Thorandrum will only make one Thoradrim and will use it exclusively until it is either broken or lost. If at all possible, the Thorandrum will retrieve the weapon. Only if broken or lost forever will a new Battle Weapon be forged. The broken weapon will always be melted down to be re-forged into the new weapon. Note: Breaking one of these weapons is next to impossible. They must be specifically targeted and must take 10 times their maximum damage in one hit before having a 30% chance of breaking.
The weapon is linked to the life force of its maker. When he/she dies, the weapon immediately loses all bonuses and will quickly rust away to nothing.
Damage: 3D6+6
Bonuses: +2 to strike and parry.
+1 to strike when thrown (excellently balanced)

Weapon Power (pick one)
Returns when thrown. (Usually reserved for axes)
Increased damage: add 1d6+6 to damage.
Increased balance: add +2 to strike and parry and +1 to strike when thrown.
Does double damage to one of the following: demons, deevils, gods, elementals, giants, elves, supernatural evil, or magic (creatures and constructs). (double damage to Elves is extremely rare now as most Thorandrum have moved beyond the animosity of the past)

Weapon Mastery
The Thorandrum must choose which weapon will be his main weapon. After choosing they focus on that weapon almost exclusively. Almost all use a one handed weapon with a shield. They will be proficient in usually only one other weapon just as a backup.
W.P. Battle axe, sword, or blunt.
In addition to the W.P. bonuses, they also gain the following bonuses when using their main weapon and armour when they have been custom made (double the cost for the armour).
Level 1: Advanced weapon care +1 to strike and damage from keeping weapon in optimal condition.
Level 2: Offense/defence mastery. Whenever a natural 19 or 20 is rolled to parry, gets a free punch or kick attack. The attack can be parried/dodged as normal
Level 3: Combat mastery. +2 to damage
Level 4: +10% to Metalworking
Level 5: Defence mastery. AR increases by +1 due to constant use. +2 to parry and dodge.
Level 6: Armour mastery. Reduce encumbrance penalties from heavy armour by half. Armour takes ¼ of your damage from falls.
Level 7: Combat mastery. Shield damage increases to 2D6.
Level 8: Armour mastery. Reduce damage taken to armour by -5 points per hit.
Level 9: Offense/defence mastery. Whenever a natural 18, 19 or 20 is rolled to parry, gets a free punch or kick attack. The attack can be parried/dodged as normal.
Level 10: Armour mastery. Decrease AR of opponents by -1 including natural armour.
Level 11: Offence mastery. +2 to damage.
Level 12: Offence mastery. On a critical hit, inflict normal damage x3.
Level 13: Defence mastery. When using a shield, creates an impenetrable wall. +1 to A.R. as long as the shield is used.
Level 14: Armour mastery. Reduce damage taken to armour by an additional -5 points per hit (-10 total).
Level 15: Advanced weapon care. Edged weapons can be sharpened to a perfect edge. Adds a bonus of +5 to damage during the next two battles.

Equipment: Two sets of clothing, boots, gloves, belt, bedroll, backpack, 4 small sacks, water skin, tinder box, knife and a set of smithing tools.
Weapons: Starts with one weapon of choice of Dwarven quality worth 3D4x100 gold, and one suit of armour of Dwarven quality worth 3D4x100 gold. Use the stats for Dwarven quality to determine the bonuses to each within the price range. Also has a shield of choice, and a second weapon of good quality.

Money: Starts with 100 gold pieces.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Whiskeyjack wrote:What would you recommend to balance the character out a bit more? I actually reduced some of the original bonuses.
Should I reduce some of the OCC bonuses? Skill bonuses? I think the skill selection is decent and limited enough, although I could reduce the number they get as they level.
Should the combat bonuses be altered? kiralon suggested a few other advances that were more skill oriented. I could put in a few more of those and reduce the over all combat bonuses.
As you mentioned, they don't really have a weakness. Perhaps they should? What comes to mind as potential weakness?

I'll base this reply off your revised version. Short answer to your questions: yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, and more introducing more specialization and risk/reward decision making for the player.

Long answer:

As written, you've described this character as a master smith at level 1, which suggests that this character starts out being effectively as good as a 10+ level Dwarf Blacksmith. That seems wrong to me. I would recommend that this character be adept at making weapons (and maybe armor?), but only for himself/herself. Thus Thorandrum creations can be potent weapons in the hands of the battle master, but only of standard quality (or worse) when others use them. This would explain why the Thorandrum would spend more time being awesome in combat and not hammering metal. Accordingly, I'd lower the metalworking O.C.C. bonus to be significantly less than that of the Blacksmith O.C.C. I'd also cut down the Recognize Weapon Quality bonus or just eliminate the skill; the Battle Master's focus is on the weapons that he or she has made, not the trinkets of others.

I would also suggest that you make this character a psychic class rather than a magical one. This would be an effective workaround to lampshade the Dwarf taboo against magic. This class could be somewhat analogous to a psi-slinger from Rifts, focusing psionic power to be expressed through a weapon. The chanting could be interpreted as a meditation and focus technique. The Thorandrum's personal weapon becomes a psychically-attuned object specific to the Thorandrum who wields it. The character's I.S.P. base should start out low, but scale up quickly with experience.

I would also revise the fluff text and their role. A person who's constantly humming or chanting in battle isn't likely to be an effective commander, as commanders will need to focus in things like formations, deployments, logistics, navigation, managing subordinate leaders, et cetera. My suggestion is that the Thorandrum be inspirational figures who only lead in the sense that they provide an example of courage and skill for their fellow dwarves to follow.

Outside their role as warrior poets who smith their own stuff, any other skills should be "other" skills. Accordingly, I would eliminate the following O.C.C. skills: Intelligence, Math: Basic, Lore: Magic, and possibly literacy: dwarf (they'd be more about oral traditions than written ones). I'd add in Public Speaking and a some dwarf-focused history and lore skills to play up their role as storytellers, so that their chants invoke both the psychic power of the Thorandrum but also the history of the Dwarf people and their greatest heroes. I'd keep the number of optional "other" skills low; this is a specialist class that should complement, not replace, the classic man-at-arms classes.

I'd also adjust their history. Since these are good-aligned dwarves by and large, they would have been disgusted with the Dwarf kingdom's turn towards nasty rune magic and demons during third Elf/Dwarf War. Perhaps all the Thorandum gathered together to protest this to their king, and faced persecution, death, and exile as a result. Therefore they went into hiding, perhaps in the Northern Mountains, and formed their own isolationist community. But now, something has changed, and they are again walking abroad among dwarf communities. Maybe some Thorandrum have gone bad, and a quartet of them have decided to attack the Library of Bletherad? Maybe they've been plagued by visions of global ruin and a new Circle of Elemental Power (for a tie-in to the Island at the Edge of the World campaign)? Maybe the Minion War has spilled out from the Land of the Damned into their mountain sanctuary, and their people have become refugees again? There's lots of potential here.

I would eliminate almost all of the non-skill occ-specific bonuses and powers and focus their powers on their chants. This would include eliminating most if not all of the level-dependent bonuses you've put in.

As for the chants, I'd present them as a series of activated powers with the following restrictions
+Only one chant can be active at a time
+Bonuses only apply while the Thorandrum is actively chanting
+The Thorandrum cannot speak while chanting (so the player is not allowed to speak to other players during that time and can only gesture to them; the chant ends and bonuses disappear if the player starts talking with anyone but the GM)
+A Thorandrum cannot "stack" a chant's bonuses with another Thorandrum singing the same chant. They can harmonize different power chants.
+Chants are beneficial only; there are no offensive chants. This is consistent with the alignment of the O.C.C.

I would also establish three tiers for each chant.
A regular chant costs no I.S.P. and imparts some strong bonuses to the Thorandrum.
A power chant provides those same bonuses to the Thorandrum and all allies who can hear him/her, but costs I.S.P. to maintain each round of combat.
A Heroic chant provides the same bonuses to allies as a Power Chant, but dials the bonuses to the Thorandrum way up; however, the heroic chant also directly drains hit points from the chanter.

This gives the player some interesting risk/reward decisions, makes the player more valuable to the group, and requires that the player be judicious about when and how to use power and heroic chants. Here are some examples of chants you could use (the costs and benefits would probably need to be tweaked):

Chant of Haste: Basic chant: +6 to speed and +2 attacks per melee to the Thorandrum. Power chant costs 5 I.S.P. per melee. Heroic chant: +12 to speed, doubles the Thorandrum's attacks and costs 10 I.S.P. and 2 hit points per round.

Chant of Smiting: Basic chant: +5 to strike and damage. Power chant costs 5 I.S.P. per melee. Heroic chant: same bonuses, plus all successful strikes automatically bypass armor and do double damage; costs 5 I.S.P. and 2 hit points per round.

Chant of Protection: Basic chant: works as a Mind Block and provides +5 on all saving throws, plus provides a natural AR of 14 and becomes immune to horror factor. Power chant: costs 5 I.S.P. per melee. Heroic chant: Thorandrum automatically passes all saving throws and has a natural AR of 18; costs 5 I.S.P. and 2 hit points per round

Chant of Defense: Basic chant: +5 to parry, dodge, all dodges are automatic (no attack), cannot be attacked by surprise, and negates all defensive penalties due to blindness, deafness, or any kind of sensory reduction, and can parry arrows without penalty. Power chant: costs 5 I.S.P. per round. Heroic chant: automatic dodges of melee attacks can be combined with an automatic body flip/throw (uses no action, uses the dodge bonus, and opponent takes 1D6 damage and loses their next attack) and parries can be combined with a disarm (costs no action, add disarm bonus to the parry bonus), costs 5 I.S.P. and 1 hit points per round.

Chant of Recovery: Basic chant: recovers 1 S.D.C. per round (not hit points). Power chant: costs 2 I.S.P. per melee. Heroic chant: Thorandrum can lay hands on a fallen ally, recalling them from a coma or unconsciousness (restores those in a coma to 5 hit points), once per melee; costs 2 I.S.P. and 5 hit points per melee.

Chant of the Arcane: Basic chant: +3 to spell strength (requiring a higher saving throw) and double damage for any magic used by the Thorandrum (usually a magic item or scroll). Power chant: 10 I.S.P. per round. Heroic Chant: can re-use any magical item or scroll for the duration of the Heroic Chant, so a scroll can be re-used, and a "3x per day" item can be re-used as long as the chant is active (any uses will be applied to the item when the Heroic Chant ends); costs 10 I.S.P. and 2 hit points per melee.

Summary of suggestions:

With these suggestions, the class retains the ability to smith, though not as well as a dedicated blacksmith (except for his or her own personal gear). Bonuses are powerful and potentially dangerous, involving a lot of dynamic decision making. They are appropriate, even ideal to use in front-line roles and on dangerous missions. They can lead others, but they do so by example and inspiration rather than by commands and formal authority. Small units of Battle Masters could be incredibly potent as they overlap Power Chants to confront their enemies' greatest champions, and even a single Thorandrum with a Heroic Chant going could cut through many normal foes before succumbing to the draining effects of the chant. By tying the duration of power chants and heroic chants to I.S.P. and Hit point pools, which scale with level, the O.C.C. starts out with plenty of power and can sustain that power far better with experience.

Yet, for all this, the character has significant limitations. The O.C.C. has a very limited skillset outside of the core competencies and powers and few "other" skills to round things out. The class provides potent benefits to other characters and fights well, but has few useful abilities outside of combat. The O.C.C. is at its best working with others. While heroic chants provide opportunities to be a 1-dwarf wrecking ball, the drawbacks make this a dangerous prospect.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”