Do you allow multiple characters?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Dobergirl
Wanderer

Do you allow multiple characters?

Unread post by Dobergirl »

This honestly goes to every single RPG ever made. But here, I have had this in my mind for a very, very long time but only now came here to make this topic. This discussion topic goes for both GM's and Players.

For GM's

Do you allow a player to have more than one character? If you do, what sort of rules do you impose?

For players

Do you play multiple characters? If you have, did it work out fine? If you haven't, what has been your main reason not to?

I sometimes do allow multiple characters, but only if I know the player and know that they will be able to pull it off without making things boring and everyone basically acting exactly same way.

I myself usually don't play multiples as it is so much more work and one character always becomes neglected over.
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Re: Do you allow multiple characters?

Unread post by Whiskeyjack »

My kids are just making second characters now. The plan is to run two concurrent campaigns that will eventually merge together. This should take at least a year, so hopefully they've matured enough to handle it by then.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Dobergirl wrote:This honestly goes to every single RPG ever made. But here, I have had this in my mind for a very, very long time but only now came here to make this topic. This discussion topic goes for both GM's and Players.

For GM's

Do you allow a player to have more than one character? If you do, what sort of rules do you impose?

For players

Do you play multiple characters? If you have, did it work out fine? If you haven't, what has been your main reason not to?

I sometimes do allow multiple characters, but only if I know the player and know that they will be able to pull it off without making things boring and everyone basically acting exactly same way.

I myself usually don't play multiples as it is so much more work and one character always becomes neglected over.

As GM... Yes I do. I have never met a player who differentiates between the characters enough for me to tell without the player saying so and so does... and then the other...

As player... I've never really tried to act the part almost playing the character as if I'm just their narrator. So I can't expect much.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

When I first started out we did multiple characters because it was only a couple of us playing.
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, I have done it in the past, but in a different game system. I don't like playing multiple characters as I think it takes away from the role. I like to imagine myself in the game, as the character and being someone else sort of breaks that.

-Vek
"I much prefer playing to coaching."
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Does cutting out the pc's brains and putting them in someone elses body count.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

As a GM I tend to not allow players to have more than one character. THAT said, I do tend to allow the player to run NPCs that are associated with their character so that I don't have to, provided that they do so well. If they start to abuse that privilege they lose it.

As a player I don't like to run more than one character at a time. The first problem is that I like to 'get into character' and it is hard to keep switching mindsets and the result is that I end up running them like versions of me instead of like themselves. The other problem is that I feel awkward over compartmentalized information. It can be tricky if one character has secret for example to determine how it is fair to share said secret with out it seeming like I am doing so for the benefit of my other character.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”