Magic wielded by NON-Magic users

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

slade the sniper
Hero

Magic wielded by NON-Magic users

Unread post by slade the sniper »

Ok, so for my Fae game...they have finally angered some human nobles and now they are coming for them...

So, these human nobles do NOT use magic...they despise it, buuuut, they a LOT of money to buy gear. What are some things they can use? So far, I have:
Cold Iron
Silver
Holy Water (is that really magical?)
Fire/Greek Fire/Alchemist's Fire
Flour (to throw on the invisible critters...and possibly used as a dust initiator)
Bear Traps (the hunters actually ARE hunters and really good with traps)
Nets with hooks
Salt (to block off doors/windows...but, does that actually work on Fae...or just ghosts)
Garlic
Ash/Yew arrows

Basically, I want this pair of hunters to be able to use tactics, teamwork and non-magic items to actually go up against four fae (level 6-ish) and have a chance to at least force a draw (I kinda want them to be the group's nemesis).

Any ideas for other mundane stuff to jack up fae/supernatural critters (they hunt all sorts of supernatural things, but the Fae are their "monster of the week.")

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Re: Magic wielded by NON-Magic users

Unread post by Library Ogre »

On holy water, I find that a lot of things that might count as magical tend to get a pass if they're blessed by deities, rather than made by wizards... so I'd let holy water slide. To that end, they might also carry holy symbols for protection from vampires. You might also consider making those holy symbols minor magical charms... a few bonus points to save can make all the difference if you're facing 30 fae who all cast "Faeries Dance" on you.

What about some straight up drugs? While they might not work on faerie folk, I could see them carrying drugs for magicians and other sorts to keep them contained.

In Cold Iron, do they have shackles that they can use? What about silver shackles for werebeasts? I don't have it handy, but the Faerie Folk section of Monsters and Animals has a number of anti-fae countermeasures, one of which, IIRC, is explicitly salt.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
slade the sniper
Hero

I had forgotten about the salt in Monsters and Animals...thanks. It also makes them unable to fly.

-STS
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Hypericum, salt and bread, Iron Cold and Berries Red. Ringing Bells and rowan wood, harm us now and we'll burn you good.

or something like that.
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Here are a couple of ideas.

To protect yourself from these situations you could wear St. John's Wart which was said to protect
a person from fairy magic and mischief. Carrying a four-leaf clover in a small bag worn around the
neck would grant the user the opportunity to see these invisible beings - but only once. In Celtic
traditions, several four-leaf clovers were sewn into a small bag, giving the user more that one
chance to spot a fairy. Other legends tell us that four-leaf clovers allowed people to see through
fairy glamour and magical disguises. Red berries were, by some, considered a deterrent, especially
if they came from rowan, mountain ash or holly trees. Some of these ideas are actually
contradictory - for example, the rowan is sometimes said to be sacred to the fairies, where, in
other examples, is said to protect against them. Oatmeal was also said to repel fairies and was
put either in your pocket or sprinkled over your clothing. Human urine was another weapon used
in the battle against the fairies. Presumably this could be supplied by a member of either sex. The
urine was sprinkled on the doorposts of the front door or on the doorposts of the room where the
baby lay. Apparently fairies found the smell of human urine extremely offensive and were likely to
give it a wide berth. It cannot have been very pleasant for the humans in the house, either.
dreicunan
Hero

Unread post by dreicunan »

Reagren Wright wrote:Here are a couple of ideas.

To protect yourself from these situations you could wear St. John's Wart which was said to protect
a person from fairy magic and mischief. Carrying a four-leaf clover in a small bag worn around the
neck would grant the user the opportunity to see these invisible beings - but only once. In Celtic
traditions, several four-leaf clovers were sewn into a small bag, giving the user more that one
chance to spot a fairy. Other legends tell us that four-leaf clovers allowed people to see through
fairy glamour and magical disguises. Red berries were, by some, considered a deterrent, especially
if they came from rowan, mountain ash or holly trees. Some of these ideas are actually
contradictory - for example, the rowan is sometimes said to be sacred to the fairies, where, in
other examples, is said to protect against them. Oatmeal was also said to repel fairies and was
put either in your pocket or sprinkled over your clothing. Human urine was another weapon used
in the battle against the fairies. Presumably this could be supplied by a member of either sex. The
urine was sprinkled on the doorposts of the front door or on the doorposts of the room where the
baby lay. Apparently fairies found the smell of human urine extremely offensive and were likely to
give it a wide berth. It cannot have been very pleasant for the humans in the house, either.

If they have a small child that they are protecting, the addition of a bit of adult urine likely is the least of the smells to worry about!
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
slade the sniper
Hero

THANK YOU! This is very much appreciated! Stupid Fae are going to be in for a real treat when all their sneaky magic is less effective than they think :)

-STS
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

If you want some nasty ideas about fae read the bitterbynde series from Cecilia dart thornton (Ill made mute is the first one I think).

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”