Would you have allowed this?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

pblackcrow
Champion

Would you have allowed this?

Unread post by pblackcrow »

We are going to now play a fun game, called "Would you have aloud it?" Where we give each other gamemaster's call that we have questioned or disapposed.

An army of like 35-50 mercs, dressed as pirates, and hired by a mate's character to get his son back. Apparently he was due to marry a duke's daughter when he eloped with a member of the my clan. Now, as anyone who has ever played pirates and nobles with me will tell you I use faeries as my spies. My faeries know the faces of the members of the captains of my pirate clan. And all our flags has a different characteristics to tell who's captaining the ship, though the standard is the same. So, yeah, imagine my shock to learn that there was a ship with my flag which didn't match any of my ships which is loading men into boats close to a beach of the clan's island. The port is only a few miles (like 3 max) away. Now, my mage's tower is located like 1 mile outside of said port town, close to the said beach so I look out through my familiares eye and look for a spot to teleport to, I use my ring of teleportation and see the perfect spot to teleport to. And teleport...It's sunset. They are just getting out of the rowboats, to push the boats on shore. I allow one boatload to make it on to the beach to interrogate. before I call lightning in between them all. I roll a natural 19, which means i critted and doubled my attack. Now they were in water...water conducts electricity, we know this. But the this GM thought I was giving them a warning. I'm cool, I say, "talk to me at the next break." I don't say anything until break, which was in about 30 minutes. But instead of backtracking to where I would have taken them out she gives me the experience, + 1,000. She also greatly reduced the number of guys under the command of Lord Halitor (Rick) to like 8. The 9th one she gave to me to deal with.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Veknironth
Hero

Re: Would you have allowed this?

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, I'm not quite sure what the allowed part is that is being questioned.

-Vek
"Also, it's magical lightning so it isn't necessarily conducted by water."
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

A Magical call lightning doesn't seem to have the hitting power of real lightning, but I would have allowed a 30ft diameter to be effected by each lightning bolt. If that was enough to hit all the guards so be it. Salt water conducts nicely.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

pblackcrow wrote:We are going to now play a fun game...

Nope. Stop right there. I disallow that. :P
pblackcrow
Champion

The Beast wrote:
Nope. Stop right there. I disallow that. :P

:lol:
Ankh, udja, seneb.
pblackcrow
Champion

Veknironth wrote:Well, I'm not quite sure what the allowed part is that is being questioned.

-Vek
"Also, it's magical lightning so it isn't necessarily conducted by water."

She didn't take into consideration that I had carpet of adhesion, cloud of slumber, multiple image, telekinesis and rope, words of truth, etc. Though, there was one who may have gotten away from me...the one who separated from the party to answer the call of nature while the 8 were standing around waiting on the others to get to shore. There is always at least one person who does. She really didn't ask what I was going to do. She simply said that she would fix it, which usually means restarting it at the point where things got off track. Anyway, I didn't gripe, with the help of 2 members of my clan, I was able to stop the remaining forces. Once I got the info I needed from the one. Plus 8 outsiders were far easier to spot than one.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, I'm still not sure what is or isn't being allowed.

-Vek
"I don't know that Call Lightning is an area of effect spell."
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Veknironth wrote:Well, I'm still not sure what is or isn't being allowed.

-Vek
"I don't know that Call Lightning is an area of effect spell."

Its not, but I use another source for what magic works underwater or on water, and call lightning will only hit the surface and radiate and wont hit anything further down than the diameter. Makes a bit of sense so I use it.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Answer: partially
In Rifts Underseas there is a discussion about spell casting underwater. One of the things is the effects of magical electricity underwater. In that book electrical attacks do a portion of their damage to an area several feet around the point of contact. As for why it is only a few feet? Because it's magic.
Your calling magical lightning. As such it works in really strange ways. After all the spell doesn't care if you are grounded (it works just great on flying creatures). The spell does not affect carried items. The spell wont short out electronics...
In short the electricity it summons is magically compelled to work in a specific way. And that way includes "can not normally be used as an AoE attack." If you want the AoE go with Fulmination instead. You can get a slight AoE effect with water... but even then it is only limited and not dozens of feet AND it significantly reduces the damage.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
pblackcrow
Champion

eliakon wrote:The spell wont short out electronics...

In Rifts, no...but in like nightbane, BtS, N&SS, I have blown up computers.

I am playing at level 11. So, reduce it if you wish, but salt water IS still an excellent conductor of electricity. But for the sake of the debate...because it does disperse as it travels. But it will travel on the surface and about say 1/2 a foot below. So, let's do this: Any thing with in my level of casting in feet (11 feet) takes full damage and it is radius, 3/4 for everything in say between 11 and 16, then 1/2 for say anything between 16 and 21, and 1/4 for 21 and 26, beyond that by another 5 feet 1/8...and finally for like 10 feet beyond that will receive a light jolt of energy but take no damage. In keeping with the game mechanics and with basic science.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

pblackcrow wrote:
eliakon wrote:The spell wont short out electronics...

In Rifts, no...but in like nightbane, BtS, N&SS, I have blown up computers.

I am playing at level 11. So, reduce it if you wish, but salt water IS still an excellent conductor of electricity. But for the sake of the debate...because it does disperse as it travels. But it will travel on the surface and about say 1/2 a foot below. So, let's do this: Any thing with in my level of casting in feet (11 feet) takes full damage and it is radius, 3/4 for everything in say between 11 and 16, then 1/2 for say anything between 16 and 21, and 1/4 for 21 and 26, beyond that by another 5 feet 1/8...and finally for like 10 feet beyond that will receive a light jolt of energy but take no damage. In keeping with the game mechanics and with basic science.

You asked if I would have allowed this.
I answered.
You don't need to argue how your house rules work, or why your group has made those house rules.
You don't need to justify yourself here, your not on trial and the gaming police won't come take away your books and dice if you can't defend your ruling.

I simply replied by pointing out what the official game rules on the issue are and said that as a GM I would have used those rules and that my explanation for why is that "its magic"
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Suicycho
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Suicycho »

It’s been awhile since I’ve played and I don’t have my core rulebook anymore but does Call Lightening even require a roll to strike?
Suicycho-the only Sound Off poster to get a thread locked for flaming himself.

"And that's why I call you Cracker you cracker." -Daniel Stoker

"IM perfectly willing to accept whatever Suicycho say's as GOd GIven Truth." -Sir Spirit
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Suicycho wrote:It’s been awhile since I’ve played and I don’t have my core rulebook anymore but does Call Lightening even require a roll to strike?

No.
Suicycho
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Suicycho »

The Beast wrote:
Suicycho wrote:It’s been awhile since I’ve played and I don’t have my core rulebook anymore but does Call Lightening even require a roll to strike?

No.

I didn’t think so. I definitely wouldn’t have allowed that. ;)
Suicycho-the only Sound Off poster to get a thread locked for flaming himself.

"And that's why I call you Cracker you cracker." -Daniel Stoker

"IM perfectly willing to accept whatever Suicycho say's as GOd GIven Truth." -Sir Spirit
pblackcrow
Champion

eliakon wrote:You asked if I would have allowed this.
I answered.
You don't need to argue how your house rules work, or why your group has made those house rules.
You don't need to justify yourself here, your not on trial and the gaming police won't come take away your books and dice if you can't defend your ruling.

I simply replied by pointing out what the official game rules on the issue are and said that as a GM I would have used those rules and that my explanation for why is that "its magic"

That was me, compromising. I wasn't trying to argue, nor was I trying to justify anything. My game master, Emmaly, is reading this.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
pblackcrow
Champion

Not officially, but some GM's do require them for spells. I don't, but she does on anything without a saving through that is an attack. Plus the fact making a called shot...going for the center and trying to avoid hitting the Mercs.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
dreicunan
Hero

Unread post by dreicunan »

I also wouldn't have allowed it, but given how you clearly are playing in a game that has house-ruled things up all that really matters is what your GM would allow.
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”