Can Paladins and Monks draw on PPE batteries

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Can Paladins and Monks draw on PPE batteries

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Could a Paladin draw from the 2d6 ppe that Millennium bark armour holds to use their Demon Death Blow?
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Re: Can Paladins and Monks draw on PPE batteries

Unread post by The Beast »

I don't feel like digging out my books this late, but IIRC, monks are highly anti-magic, so I'm not sure they would use a magical device.

As for the paladin, if they're trained to build up their PPE reserves like a mage would, I don't see any reason they couldn't use a PPE battery. At worst they might have to sit down with a proper mage and be taught how to do that.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greyaxe wrote:Could a Paladin draw from the 2d6 ppe that Millennium bark armour holds to use their Demon Death Blow?

Greetings and Salutations. I don't believe it's ever stated definitively in the books. By a strict reading of the Millennium Bark Armor, I'd say. The line specifically says Practitioners of Magic, a category which neither Warrior Monks or Palladins are included. So if you only want a technical by the book answer, I'd say no.

However, as a G.M., I'd be inclined to say yes. This is largely because of the example of Cyber-Knights in Rifts. While that's a different setting, the Cyber-Knights learn their inner powers (which is psychic by game mechanics, but descriptions through martial arts training very similar to chi), and they're able to use magic devices and TW items. I do believe there are TW P.P.E. batteries, as well as the fact Millennium Bark Armor is a magical item (which then falls into the Cyber-Knight's ability to use). The Warrior Monk specifies that his P.P.E. is inner strength, and by the concept I'd also gather a result of martial arts training. The Palladin technique is meanwhile described as more magical. In addition, I'm don't believe the 2D6 from the bark armor is game breaking, so that also gives me little reason to object.

Anyways, that's my opinion on the matter with my reasoning behind it. I hope some of that helps. Farewell and safe journeys for now.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

The Beast wrote:I don't feel like digging out my books this late, but IIRC, monks are highly anti-magic, so I'm not sure they would use a magical device.

As for the paladin, if they're trained to build up their PPE reserves like a mage would, I don't see any reason they couldn't use a PPE battery. At worst they might have to sit down with a proper mage and be taught how to do that.

Warrior monks aren't anti-magic, only Monk Scholars are. Personally, I would be inclined that they could not draw on PPE batteries by default, since they don't really have a lot of training in building and using their PPE... just a trick that they can do that is powered by PPE
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Braden Campbell

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

I think the larger question is: can non-mages draw on and use PPE?
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Nope

"Other Sources of P.P.E.
The practitioners of magic have a few options at their disposal in acquiring P.P.E. to use instead of their own or to supplement what they have. These other sources include magical talismans, ancient artifacts, items created by the gods, ley lines, ley line nexus points, and living creatures, including humans."

Straight out of the book, a Paladin is a fighter and isn't trained in the use of magic, so no.
Reagren Wright
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

kiralon wrote:Nope

"Other Sources of P.P.E.
The practitioners of magic have a few options at their disposal in acquiring P.P.E. to use instead of their own or to supplement what they have. These other sources include magical talismans, ancient artifacts, items created by the gods, ley lines, ley line nexus points, and living creatures, including humans."

Straight out of the book, a Paladin is a fighter and isn't trained in the use of magic, so no.

Agreed. Their P.P.E. is used only for one thing. They abilties don't drawn on P.P.E like
mana is used in a video game. The point is the Demon Death Blow and the Spirit Strike
are supposed to be limited use. The main problem is a human Palladin and human
Warruir Monk have very little P.P.E. Palladin attack uses up a random 2D6 each time.
Which sometimes mean the Palladin might get two blows in and that's it to take out
something like a 100 S.D.C. "something". Just a little extra P.P.E. at character
creation would make a big difference.
Library Ogre

To steal from TtGD, what about something like a sorcerous proficiency? You might have someone who isn't properly a mage, but could spend a secondary skill to be familiar with accessing PPE batteries.

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

I play no demon death blow at level one, but then from every two levels they get an extra usage per day. Always thought using a random amount of ppe per blow was a mistake and that was how much extra ppe they got.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Anyone recall if Cyber-Knights could? Not that they'd have any use for it. They can use TW, could Paladins or Monks use TW?
Library Ogre

Axelmania wrote:Anyone recall if Cyber-Knights could? Not that they'd have any use for it. They can use TW, could Paladins or Monks use TW?

I believe Cyber-knights can, but they're also explicitly psychic AND trained in techno-wizardry use.

All Palladium Articles
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

NOW... though I think they could use TW prior to the 'you're all psychic even if you're not' bit.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Axelmania wrote:NOW... though I think they could use TW prior to the 'you're all psychic even if you're not' bit.

They were always psychic to some extent (psi-sword)
And since all psychics can intuitively use TW all Cyber-Knights can use TW.

A Paladin and Monk can use TW as well as we are told that anyone who has the ability to control their internal energies can use TW.
If you can use TW, then presumably you could use Eco-Wizardry, and the non canonical Necro-Tech.

None of this however demonstrates the ability to use any other sort of magic items or storage devices with out that from of magic or device saying that it can be used by non-mages.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”