Player vs player

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Veknironth
Hero

Player vs player

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, seeing Hotrod mention his character killed by another character. It made me think about when we've had player characters kill other player characters. This seemed like a fun forum topic.

-Vek
"We have had some doozies."
Thom001
Explorer

Re: Player vs player

Unread post by Thom001 »

It wasn't in palladium fantasy but rifts. I was a mercenary and he was security for the area. We ended up on opposite sides. His character setup an ambush in a living quarters and tried to kill mine in a gun battle. My character was bleeding badly and was probably going to die, so I blew up the unit and our characters somehow survived. In the end my character tracked his to a spot in the jungle and killed him in a knife fight.
Veknironth
Hero

Well, I throw one of ours in. In the Place of Magic, on the top floor, there is a big room with Goblins in it. On one side there is a u-shaped hallway with cells. While the player group was engaged with the Goblins, some of whom were Cobblers, one of the paladins decided we had the situation under control and went down the hallway. He was going into the cells, looking for anything valuable, to the extent that he picked a lock.

By the time the fight was over, there were three PC's lying on the floor bleeding to death, a wizard with a handful of HP, and a Ranger who was healing himself with a holy dagger. My wizard is trying to keep the other PC's from dying when the aforementioned paladin comes back into the main room. One of the Cobblers had fled the fight and had spooked him with a Darkness spell. The ranger, quite angry, asks the paladin where he was while they were fighting. A stammering response by the paladin recieves a kick to the chest. The paladin responds to the kick by drawing out his axes. The ranger responds by pulling out his flamberge. The Paladin swings with one axe (not both as he could have done with paired weapons) and the ranger parries. The ranger parries, and attacks back. The paladin parries and waits, trying to talk. The ranger takes this lull as an opportunity to renew his attack. A natural 20 ensues, so long paladin.

-Vek
"PC Death #1"
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

"The Dark Elf" killed two of his fellow players but at the time he had multiple personalities and one was a diabolic megalomaniac...
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Veknironth
Hero

Well, that leads me to another player vs player death. Early on we had a run in with the Eternity Blade. The Elven Longbowman went crazy due to the influence of the sword. The player at the table really played it well. There were a lot of threats and attempts at bullying. The Elven Assassing had enough and tried to kill the Longbowman, and the Paladin was stepping in to intervene. To stop the fight and let cooler heads prevail , the wizard dropped Immobilize on the characters. The assassin saved, however and after a minute started moving to slaughter the longbowman. To give everyone a fighting chance the immobilize field was dropped.

The longbowman, now free snapped into action, preparing to use the elemental powers of the sword to wipe out the assassin. He lost initiative. The assassin double attacked, the parry did not roll high enough, the armor rating was overcome, and the longbowman was in a coma. Before anyone could intervene, the assassin attacked again, making sure he was extra dead.

-Vek
"The Hunter appeared and took the sword away."
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

I had a Dreamer Gizmoteer from Ninjas & Superspies.
I spent all the skills I could in Weapon Proficiencies and Physical Skills, and with some good rolls for stats I ended up with a PS of 31 or so. He ended up on Rifts Earth, where he got vibro-claws in both arms, and liked to tear things up Wolverine-style.
While on Rifts Earth, he got kind of a reputation, because he was Miscreant alignment, and a compulsive liar to boot. His idea of funny was unloading people's guns when they weren't looking, or volunteering to take watch duty... knowing that he's be unable to tell the truth about what he saw coming.
I think his original name was "Death Throw," but after an adventure or three I had to start changing his name and appearance (he had cyber-disguise) each adventure or the other players would try to frag him on principle. This was usually meta-gaming, since he tended to be the only survivor of previous parties, but I kept the "Death" theme in his name for a while.
Death Throw
Deathpool
Deadweight
Death's Head
Dead Rite
That kind of thing.

The direct kills against other players that I remember were:
1. The party was in Juarez. We tended to use Called headshots against enemies, in order to capture armor intact. As a result, we ended up with a number of helmet-less suits, and often had to use them in the hopes that the enemy wouldn't be able to get a Called Shot on us in return.
Anyway, we were hired for a mission by a local bigwig, and we botched the mission. We went back to report in, and to beg to be kept on the job. This character had a high charisma, so I was making headway in negotiations... but another character interrupted me.
Now, another thing that we'd do from time to time is we'd shoot each other with SDC weapons, since we all wore MDC armor. It was kind of a joke thing.
This guy interrupted me, and I said "I shoot him with my .45!"
The GM said, "You know he's not wearing a helmet, right?"
I didn't.
But I was playing a Miscreant, so I said sure. I shoot him.
(Also, we were in high school, Sophomores I think. So our behavior tended toward the Sophomoric.)
So, in the middle of negotiations with our employer, my character pulls out a gun and kills one of his team-mates for interrupting him, THEN promptly erupts into a pillar of flame because the dead guy was good friends with the party Burster.
The boss's mansion burned down in the ensuing free-for-all.
Some of our characters lived... but we all had huge bounties on our heads, and couldn't go back to Juarez.

2. One of our Rifts adventures took us to Palladium Fantasy World.
(I bet you'd thought I forgot which forum I was in!)
I was again playing this character, and he was on his best behavior... but he ended up getting mind-controlled in the Tombs of Gersidi, and attacking the party.
My guy was something like a 4th or 5th level N&S character who'd been amped up by Rifts Earth technology. He was something like +14 to Strike/Parry/Dodge, and after he got possessed, he attacked the nearest character.
This happened to be Karrot, a 1st level PFRPG Soldier with mediocre stats and something like a whopping +2 to Parry with his shield.
I swatted at him with my claws... but rolled low, and he rolled something like an 18! He parried!!!
Next round, I attacked again and rolled high. Had something like 28+ to strike, so there was no way he could parry this one unless he... Yup. He did. He rolled a natural 20!
And one shot would drop this guy. 2d6 base damage for my claws, +16 or so from PS, plus WP bonuses probably, and this guy was basically just an average mook only he was a PC.
So okay, on the next attack, I attack again... and the little guy got another nat 20!!!
Next attack... yeah, I rolled high, he rolled average, and he got gutted.
But for three attacks, the deadliest guy in the room by FAR was at an impasse against some 1st level dude with +2 to parry.
We all felt bad for Karrot, but it was a much more memorable battle than it should have been.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”