Higher level spell casting

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

KillWatch
Champion

Higher level spell casting

Unread post by KillWatch »

has anyone ever done it? :?

A wizard gets the following "PPE":
3d4x10+20+PE+(3d6 per level)
Assuming best case scenario; 12x10+20+30+(18x15) = 440,.. at level 15,...

440 is decent,but im not casting restoration or impenetrable wall of force anytime soon, let alone crimson wall

How many teenagers do I have to kill at (3d6+PE)2 per teeny? (explains a lot of horror movies though)
How do I find enough people to join my church of any significant level that they can then "lend me" their energies?

I mean are these spells just supposed to be out of reach?
am I really supposed to lead a teen church outing (10 members=18+30 at best=48x10=480) where they all enter into the trance, sacrifice them all in ritual (960), On a ley line nexus (+20 per melee), on the vernal equinox (+20 per melee) at noon for a minute (=+[40x4=160]), during a partial solar eclipse (+800 after 8 minutes) + my own PPE (440) = 2800. If all that goes off without a hitch I can cast most spells, but I will still need a hefty PPE artifact for Crimson Wall, Barrier of Thoth. And it seems like a LOT of work to sort of transform kinda into a dragon-ish thing, or to resurrect one recenetly dead guy - and he better have all his limbs with him, AND I have a better than 50% chance to still fail :-?

Am I missing something? How do you handle it? Do you change the point values? Increase the amount of PPE a high level wizard can get?
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.
Veknironth
Hero

Re: Higher level spell casting

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, I think you could just have a ritual in which you link a bunch of people together and use their PPE. I also believe that a wizard can hold above maximum PPE for a short while. There are also ley lines.

-Vek
"The Caster could also be a super natural being."
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Gantrium helps
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

I explored this in a post a few years ago where I tried to understand how rituals were supposed to work. The short answer is that a mortal mage will need to know the spell(s) as rituals and either have a large cult, several mage/high-PPE friends, or be part of a guild. Ley Lines and Nexuses are less useful, ironically, then a large support base, which really helps to explain the draw of guilds.

Here's the long answer.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

This is addressed in a number of books.
The answer boils down to "your PC isn't the only spell caster out there". There are a lot of other casters out there too, and some of them DO have access to the kinds of reserves and/or items that let them cast these themselves.
Another thing to consider is that if you are thinking that a situation might call for the use of a SoL... your little cabal can whip up a scroll or two (or however many they think they will need) and keep them around. Then when needed you just whip out the scroll, read it and BAM spell of choice, regardless of how much PPE it costs.
Basically these spells are either something that the "big kids" are playing with, or are used strategically in planned out ways by those that know them.

A dragon, or a god, or an archmage might just be able to cast the spell off hand though.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”