Teleport object

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Veknironth
Hero

Teleport object

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well I'm wondering how contiguous an object has to be in order to be teleported. Something like a gem is obvious. I think a weapon, even though it might be made of constituent parts, would work since it's considered a whole weapon. A bottle of wine, I think works but I wonder if the mind mage could teleport ONLY the bottle. What about something like a bag of coins? Is just the bag teleported or can the mind mage move the whole thing?

-Vek
"Never trust a mind mage."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Teleport object

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Under the general understanding of the KISS principal that PB used, if the MM/wiz wanted to t-port a bag of coins then the whole bag of coins (w/coins) would be t-ported.

However, as a GM I encourage players to fully describe what they really want happen when using their psi powers or magic spells.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Since magic/psionics is part belief, then beliefs of the player can effect it, especially if he thinks he can't do it.
Especially considering when you teleport someone you don't just get their skin, you get the whole lot, so even if they didn't want the contents I think they would come along and would count against the weight limit. If the player came up with a decent reason why the contents wouldn't come however I'd probably allow it.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

I generally go with the "What is the conceptual idea of this object" and use that.
This means that you get the bottle and wine because that is what a bottle of wine is. You get bag and coins because that is what a bag of coins is.
I would allow though someone to teleport a persons jacket off of them yes. But you will get the jacket... and everything in its pockets, which may or may not put you over weight. If you use a spell to teleport a person you get that person, and all that they are carrying and wearing. I do not allow teleportation spells or abilities to be used as a simple way to strip people for capture or to loot them or the like...this goes both ways though, you can also rescue your friends and not worry about leaving their stuff behind either.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, I agree as well but it's the range of touch that makes me wonder. Technically, you're not touching anything in the bag. But, it's essentially magic so what the hell.

-Vek
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

All the Universe is one.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Renaming it "teleport matter" and having the weight limit apply to any number of objects might be easier.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Veknironth wrote:Well, I agree as well but it's the range of touch that makes me wonder. Technically, you're not touching anything in the bag. But, it's essentially magic so what the hell.

-Vek

If it was just touch you would only get the upper layer of molecules, and it doesn't depend on the contiguity of matter either so it doesn't make sense either way.
It's just another one of the will defining reality things.
Axelmania
Knight

Maybe "touch" should be "any matter which would be touched by a line in between any two points on your body" ? So if I held out my hands 2 feet apart, the space between my palms is being 'touched'?
Lukterran
Adventurer

Unread post by Lukterran »

Veknironth wrote:Well, I agree as well but it's the range of touch that makes me wonder. Technically, you're not touching anything in the bag. But, it's essentially magic so what the hell.

-Vek

Seriously getting way too technical. You need to keep it simple. The bag would be considered "touched" as well as everything in it. The player is in contact with the bag and all its continents. Just use normal reason.

If you wanted to get right down to it nothing in the universe touches anything else when you boil it down to the subatomic level. There is always space between objects.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

It all comes down to what can reasonably be called or thought of "an object."
Is a bag of coins "an object?"
Is a bag of gun parts?
Is a gun?

Generally speaking, yes.
Having components doesn't make something not a single object.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I would tend to use my loose definition of an aura to do this. Teleporting a bag full of things, within the weight limit? That seems reasonable; all the things are inside the bag's aura and can be teleported together.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Axelmania
Knight

Maybe an object includes anything within its barriers as part of an object?

But then, how do we define the barriers... how tight must a bicycle be put together for its parts to collectively be 1 object?
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Axelmania wrote:Maybe an object includes anything within its barriers as part of an object?

But then, how do we define the barriers... how tight must a bicycle be put together for its parts to collectively be 1 object?

What do you think?

Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Axelmania wrote:Maybe an object includes anything within its barriers as part of an object?

Anything that falls off if you shake it a couple times isn't part of the same object.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Mark Hall wrote:

Anything that falls off if you shake it a couple times isn't part of the same object.

Who's shakes? A juicer could shake the tires off a bicycle... a kaiju could shake the cement and glass off a building.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”