Dwarf/Kobold Armor

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Maddog
D-Bee

Dwarf/Kobold Armor

Unread post by Maddog »

Hi
Does anyone have any house rules or special methods of assigning bonuses to Dwarven/Kobold/Jotan armor? Weapons are pretty straight forward; +x% to the cost of the weapon for +x to strike (or whatever). How can the high quality of Dwarven armor be reflected by a game mechanic? My group uses a damage reduction method in place of the standard AR system. Do I add to the DR (and weight) for D/K/J armour? Any suggestions welcome.

Maddog
" God is on the side with the heavyist battalions"
-Voltaire
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: Dwarf/Kobold Armor

Unread post by eliakon »

In my games I simply allow a bonus to the AR and DR of the armor with some of the legendary suits of dwarven master smiths having effectively nAR of their own. (i.e. you need a 17+ to hit the wearer and will need a 12+ to even damage the suit)
I will also say that I have done a lot of customizing of the AR system to my house rules so it is not exactly the same as the regular one (short version is that I compare ARs to the natural rolls with only a tiny number of modifiers affecting it.)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

eliakon wrote:In my games I simply allow a bonus to the AR and DR of the armor with some of the legendary suits of dwarven master smiths having effectively nAR of their own. (i.e. you need a 17+ to hit the wearer and will need a 12+ to even damage the suit)
I will also say that I have done a lot of customizing of the AR system to my house rules so it is not exactly the same as the regular one (short version is that I compare ARs to the natural rolls with only a tiny number of modifiers affecting it.)

Ditto, its mostly only the wp + to strike that adds a bonus penetrate for me too (+ some weapon bonuses and magic).

But there is 'superior' armour in the book that lets you add 20 sdc to light and 50 sdc to heavy armour.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

As Kira says, I think the official version is "more SDC", but you might also consider "fewer penalties on heavy armor", if you remember to use those.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Mark Hall wrote:As Kira says, I think the official version is "more SDC", but you might also consider "fewer penalties on heavy armor", if you remember to use those.

Though it's not in the rules as written, there is precedent for dwarves and kobolds increasing an armor's AR. Eastern Territory (a book I've become very familiar with in recent months) has King Edmund Penington's armor, a dwarven plate, with an AR of 18 and an SDC of 170.

I think it's reasonable that a custom-fit armor of exceptional quality could have an improved AR. Such a suit would be quite pricey.
Last edited by Hotrod on Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Hotrod wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:As Kira says, I think the official version is "more SDC", but you might also consider "fewer penalties on heavy armor", if you remember to use those.

Though it's not in the rules as written, there is precedent for dwarves and kobolds increasing an armor's AR. Eastern Territory (a book I've become very familiar with in recent months) has King Edmund Penington's armor, a dwarven plage, with an AR of 18 and an SDC of 170.

I think it's reasonable that a custom-fit armor of exceptional quality could have an improved AR. Such a suit would be quite pricey.

That could be just the magical +1 AR and +10 sdc from being well made. (More likely the writer thought 17 was too low and 18 looked better)
But I allow custom made armour to give more protection.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

kiralon wrote:
Hotrod wrote:

Though it's not in the rules as written, there is precedent for dwarves and kobolds increasing an armor's AR. Eastern Territory (a book I've become very familiar with in recent months) has King Edmund Penington's armor, a dwarven plage, with an AR of 18 and an SDC of 170.

That could be just the magical +1 AR and +10 sdc from being well made. (More likely the writer thought 17 was too low and 18 looked better)
But I allow custom made armour to give more protection.

The king's armor does have magical properties listed, but increased AR and SDC aren't among those properties (weightless and impervious to fire). Per canon rules as written, superior armor isn't species-restricted; only superior weapons are, so the fact that dwarves made this armor shouldn't be relevant. However, having dwarves or kobolds able to produce special, superior armor seems more consistent with the fluff.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

You can always have them know how to make a better alloy(black iron). One of the NPCs in Nimro can make armor that is half the normal weight and noiseless via technique.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”