Does anyone have random encounter tables?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

donJulio
D-Bee

Does anyone have random encounter tables?

Unread post by donJulio »

I started a campaign with my 13-year-old son and could use some help for encounters. Currently they are in the wilderness in the Old Kingdom traveling to Timiro. I have them roll for an encounter three times a day (mid-morning, mid-afternoon, night). 15-20 = encounter; 1-14 none. At night on a successful roll of Camoflauge skill (for the campsite) the encounter is positive on 16-20.

Anyhow, I am just using the Monsters & Animals 2nd edition book and only having monster and/or animal encounters. 1d100 divided by the number of creatures listed for the Old Kingdom and then count from the top down. However I don't have anything for encounters with NPCs such as elven towns, dwarves, orcs, goblins, etc.

If anyone has created any resources for this kind of stuff, feel free to share. I would appreciate any help.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Re: Does anyone have random encounter tables?

Unread post by kiralon »

The first ed old ones has encounter tables for the area you are in and its available.

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/606 ... =4816_5192
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

donJulio wrote:I started a campaign with my 13-year-old son and could use some help for encounters. Currently they are in the wilderness in the Old Kingdom traveling to Timiro. I have them roll for an encounter three times a day (mid-morning, mid-afternoon, night). 15-20 = encounter; 1-14 none. At night on a successful roll of Camoflauge skill (for the campsite) the encounter is positive on 16-20.

Anyhow, I am just using the Monsters & Animals 2nd edition book and only having monster and/or animal encounters. 1d100 divided by the number of creatures listed for the Old Kingdom and then count from the top down. However I don't have anything for encounters with NPCs such as elven towns, dwarves, orcs, goblins, etc.

If anyone has created any resources for this kind of stuff, feel free to share. I would appreciate any help.

I'd look through the published books for the regions you're playing with. In particular, Old Ones Nimro, Island at the Edge of the World, Eastern Territory, and possibly High Seas may be helpful depending on their location/route. I would also consider the influence of weather, especially if they are travelling during winter months in the mountains.

Also, you may want to consider using my Eastern Territory map (you can find the latest draft in this message board), which can help you keep track of factors like climate, elevation, and relevant political powers along their route. It's still a work in progress, but it should be useful to you if they're in the eastern Old Kingdom.

Otherwise, you could also use my Timiro Kingdom map, which you can find in my gallery linked below.
Last edited by Hotrod on Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Updated random encounter tables for the Old Kingdom Lowlands hopefully will appear
in Lopan Sourcebook. Cross fingers.
donJulio
D-Bee

Unread post by donJulio »

kiralon wrote:The first ed old ones has encounter tables for the area you are in and its available.

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/606 ... =4816_5192

Thank you for the suggestions.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

One other thing you might consider is their chosen route. There aren't many ways through the mountains from the Old Kingdom to Timiro, and some of them have interesting groups and sites, such as Ogre Pass and the Gersidi Valley. The Tombs of Gersidi adventure has some outdoor encounters that could be useful.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”