Fly as the Eagle

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Veknironth
Hero

Fly as the Eagle

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, here's another stupid Veknironth magic question. How is Fly as the Eagle affected by additional weight? There are no weight limitations listed in the description, so I assume that casting it on a gnome is the same as casting it on a giant. It confers the same abilities to each.

What happens if the flyer picks something up? I imagine if you swoop down and grab a bottle it won't slow you much. But what if you pick up someone else? What if someone wraps a rope around you and tries to bring you down? How much strength is required to pull the person down? I suppose you could math it out, calculating the momentum of certain mass at a certain velocity. Then you could add the new mass to it to come up with an lower velocity. But that then gives a huge advantage to a larger flyer for the same PPE cost. Maybe that isn't a big deal?

What about acceleration? The top speed is 50mph (roughly 80kph) but how long does it take to make it to that speed?

Can you fly straight down at 50mph, or will gravity take you to terminal velocity?

Does the magic override wind resistance or going against the wind?

Oh, and all of these apply to Swim as a Fish as well.

-Vek
"And I realize there are 2 versions of swim as a fish."
Prysus
Champion

Re: Fly as the Eagle

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. Palladium, as far as I'm aware, doesn't have any encumbrance penalties (well, not including those for armor at least). I also don't think they have acceleration or deceleration rules. So effectively you can carry nothing or your max carry capacity (but not more) at full speed. Though acceleration and deceleration take time, the speed is more the average and would come off of that time.

As for if you throw a rope around the Gnome can you pull him down section ... Can the Gnome carry you and all your gear? If so, he could probably fly carrying you too. If not, then you can pull him down. That's how I'd rule it. Though if you want to make it more dramatic, then I'd say it's a contest of Strength (both sides roll a D20 and add in your P.S. attribute for the way I'd do it).

One could make house rules to address the situations in more detail, but I think above is the best rules answer we have. Farewell and safe journeys.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Veknironth wrote:Well, here's another stupid Veknironth magic question. How is Fly as the Eagle affected by additional weight? There are no weight limitations listed in the description, so I assume that casting it on a gnome is the same as casting it on a giant. It confers the same abilities to each.

What happens if the flyer picks something up? I imagine if you swoop down and grab a bottle it won't slow you much. But what if you pick up someone else? What if someone wraps a rope around you and tries to bring you down? How much strength is required to pull the person down? I suppose you could math it out, calculating the momentum of certain mass at a certain velocity. Then you could add the new mass to it to come up with an lower velocity. But that then gives a huge advantage to a larger flyer for the same PPE cost. Maybe that isn't a big deal?

Presumably, weight affects flight speed the same as it would affect running speed.

What about acceleration? The top speed is 50mph (roughly 80kph) but how long does it take to make it to that speed?

Since Palladium never discusses acceleration, it's most likely instantaneous.

Can you fly straight down at 50mph, or will gravity take you to terminal velocity?

Interesting question!
I'd say that the maximum flight speed is the maximum speed at which you can fly. Any faster, going down, and you'll be falling.

Does the magic override wind resistance or going against the wind?

Apparently, since it's never discussed as a factor.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

The encumbrance rules were in first ed

Encumberance Modifiers
-2 Spd. for every 30 lbs.
-%20 to Prowl for every 40 lbs.
-1 to parry or dodge for every 60lbs.
-1 P.E. point for every 40 Ibs, meaning that one P .E. point is
temporarily subtracted for each 40 lbs. of weight, reducing the
maximum time (minutes/melees) the weight can be carried without
needing to stop and rest.
Armour also impedes movement. See armour in the Men of arms
section.
Last edited by kiralon on Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, I thought more about this and could it be something like Levitation? You can only make 200lbs of person/items fly per level of the caster. So a 5th level Fly as the Eagle spell would allow up to 1000lbs of character/items fly. Anything more than that and it doesn't work at all.

-Vek
"Looking for options."
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

I play it that it does get wind resistance and its self and whatever strength you can carry.

Another question is does it fatigue you.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Veknironth wrote:snip....(1) What if someone wraps a rope around you and tries to bring you down? How much strength is required to pull the person down?

(2) Can you fly straight down at 50mph, or will gravity take you to terminal velocity?

(3) Does the magic override wind resistance or going against the wind?
...snip

(1) If the person has a rope on the flyer they are ether lifted up off the ground, dragged along the ground or acts as an anchor. It is only in this last situation where the question how much PS does it require to pull someone who is flying via FatE down.
All of which is dependent on how much the GM rules about how much the flyer can carry. Therefor unanswerable with a canon answer.
In that if the one with the rope has SNPS 30 but weighs only 90 lb. and the GM has set the carry weight at 15 lb., the the one with the rope will be pulled off the ground and flown with the flyer.

(2) If I was to make a ruling I would say that the char could T-V when flying down. Just like an eagle would when it dives.

(3) I would rule that the spell does reduce the wind effects on the flyer to about that of 5-10 mph worth.

kiralon wrote:The encumbrance rules were in first ed

Encumberance Modifiers
-2 Spd. for every 30 lbs.
-%20 to Prowl for every 40 lbs.
-1 to parry or dodge for every 60lbs.
-1 P.E. point for every 40 Ibs, meaning that one P .E. point is
temporarily subtracted for each 40 lbs. of weight, reducing the
maximum time (minutes/melees) the weight can be carried without
needing to stop and rest.
Armour also impedes movement. See armour in the Men of arms
section.

Page that these appear on please.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Page 8
Suicycho
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Suicycho »

Because I simply CANNOT resist...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c1f7eZ8cHpM
Suicycho-the only Sound Off poster to get a thread locked for flaming himself.

"And that's why I call you Cracker you cracker." -Daniel Stoker

"IM perfectly willing to accept whatever Suicycho say's as GOd GIven Truth." -Sir Spirit

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”