The Crystal Kingdom and devices

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

The Crystal Kingdom and devices

Unread post by Whiskeyjack »

I've always love Island at the Edge of the World and the Crystal Kingdom. Magic items geared towards psychics is a cool concept.
As part of the campaign I'm running for my kids and my buddies kids, I've been working on some additional crystal items that they may either find, or find information on. Let me know what you think, and what you'd change.

The Crystal Kingdoms
The Crystal Kingdoms of Palladium once spread throughout the Old Kingdom Mountain region during the Time of a Thousand Magicks. At first these were loosely affiliated city states content with learning and spreading knowledge from their crystal towers high atop the mountains. With their mastery over environmental manipulation, they turned barren cold peaks into oases of peace and tranquility. While predominantly populated by Elves and Changelings, many Titans, Rahu Men and Forgotten Races also lived in these quiet places of learning
Their peaceful existence was soon put to an end, as the Gromek Empires, led by the dreaded Life Force Wizards, began moving into the area, attacking all who stood in their way. The city states quickly formed into the Unified Crystal Kingdom, and began a millennium long war against the Gromek. To this day, all Gromek hate and fear any who posses one of the rare crystal devices.
By the end of the Age of a Thousand Magicks, both empires would lay in ruin, although crystal mages and many of their devices would continue to be used for thousands of years, until the Millennium of Purification saw them all but erased from history. Their association with Changelings made them especially repugnant to the people of this time period and all traces were sought out frantically to be destroyed.

Below are detailed many crystal devices that were used along with those found in Island at the Edge of The World. While these expand on the crystal devices in that book, it is in no way a complete list of all the devices that existed during this time period. No doubt more will come to light as adventurers delve into this dangerous area in search of its secrets.
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Re: The Crystal Kingdom and devices

Crystal Wagons
Crystal Wagons have three rod/wheels joined together. Two make up the front and rear wheel and axle, the third links the two together (acting as a drive shaft) and determines the size of the wagon that it will carry. The wagons themselves were conventionally made from a variety of materials. Some were small personal transports or used for carrying small amounts of goods. Others were used by large wealthy families for travelling or by large merchant organizations for carrying their goods in large caravans. A minor psychic was required to operate the device although it had a form of auto pilot that allowed it to maintain a steady pace on a road while responding to basic obstacles.
Activation (5 I.S.P./hour) allows the wagon to move at a maximum speed of 30, environmental shield (20 I.S.P./hour), light (2 I.S.P./hour), protection from hostility (15 I.S.P./hour), energy absorption (6 I.S.P./hour), levitation (10 I.S.P./15 minutes).
The levitation is a modified form that allows the wagon to continue its forward movement while floating up to 30’ off the ground.

Crystal Chariots
Chariots were used as a mobile fighting platform with one or two passengers, usually both psychic. They were very maneuverable and fast and were operated by thought, allowing both passengers to engage in combat without restriction. The ride was incredibly smooth, allowing for bows and spears to be used to great effect, without the usual penalties.
Activation (7 I.S.P./hour) allows the chariot to move at a maximum speed of 50, energy absorption (6 I.S.P./hour), stop object (5 I.S.P./2 melees), enhanced awareness (1 I.S.P./melee), see the invisible (6 I.S.P./hour), energy bolt (6 I.S.P.), energy field (50 I.S.P./4 melees), dome of energy (15 I.S.P./melee), levitation (12 I.S.P./15 minutes)
The levitation is a modified form that allows the wagon to continue its forward movement while floating up to 50’ off the ground.
AlanGunhouse
Champion

Unread post by AlanGunhouse »

Now you can look at Rifts DB15: Secrets of the Atlanteans for some additional concepts. It is PPE based not ISP, but since there are Giants who are Psionic Stone Masters, there is no reason Psionic Crystal Mages would be be a possibility.
AlanGunhouse
Champion

There are indeed some interesting things in the Crystal Magic section of RRB15 (SotA), Things like Crystal Armor, Crystal Staves, Crystal Golems, Crystal Pyramids, Crystal Towers, and Crystal Arches. Not bad, but I wish they had included a proper section on creating permanent crystal items...and probably allowed crystal mages to used the stone magic powers involving drawing magical effects out of gemstones.
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

I picked up SotA specifically for the crystal magic, but it's very much magic, not psychic based like the fantasy version.
AlanGunhouse
Champion

Whiskeyjack wrote:I picked up SotA specifically for the crystal magic, but it's very much magic, not psychic based like the fantasy version.

Yeah...it could not be used to make the Crystal items from Island at the Edge of the World. In fact, with a very few exceptions, I do not see any way to make lasting items with it at all. It seems a major flaw to me...since they are supposed to do so (although, it specifies they work in concert with Stone Masters and Atlantean Alchemists to do it).
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

AlanGunhouse wrote:
Whiskeyjack wrote:I picked up SotA specifically for the crystal magic, but it's very much magic, not psychic based like the fantasy version.

Yeah...it could not be used to make the Crystal items from Island at the Edge of the World. In fact, with a very few exceptions, I do not see any way to make lasting items with it at all. It seems a major flaw to me...since they are supposed to do so (although, it specifies they work in concert with Stone Masters and Atlantean Alchemists to do it).

Out side of Techno-Wizardry there is very little hard and fast information on how magic items get made beyond "they do"
Generally the Palladium answer is "An Alchemist did it" which neatly solves the problem by making it totally in the realm of NPC fiat.

In fact the number of creation spells in the Crystal Magic section makes it actually one of the most creation heavy forms of magic with actual descriptions in the megaverse!
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
AlanGunhouse
Champion

"They Do" is not very satisfying. Anyone who read "Island at the Edge of the World" was probably hoping for something with a lot more information on item creation...not to mention something Psionic Based.

In point of fact though, the Diabolist in Palladium Fantasy could always create a limited selection of magical items from the very first edition.
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

It's nice to have replies to the thread, but does anyone have any thoughts on the actual items?
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Whiskeyjack wrote:Crystal Wagons
Crystal Wagons have three rod/wheels joined together. Two make up the front and rear wheel and axle, the third links the two together (acting as a drive shaft) and determines the size of the wagon that it will carry. The wagons themselves were conventionally made from a variety of materials. Some were small personal transports or used for carrying small amounts of goods. Others were used by large wealthy families for travelling or by large merchant organizations for carrying their goods in large caravans. A minor psychic was required to operate the device although it had a form of auto pilot that allowed it to maintain a steady pace on a road while responding to basic obstacles.
Activation (5 I.S.P./hour) allows the wagon to move at a maximum speed of 30, environmental shield (20 I.S.P./hour), light (2 I.S.P./hour), protection from hostility (15 I.S.P./hour), energy absorption (6 I.S.P./hour), levitation (10 I.S.P./15 minutes).
The levitation is a modified form that allows the wagon to continue its forward movement while floating up to 30’ off the ground.

Crystal Chariots
Chariots were used as a mobile fighting platform with one or two passengers, usually both psychic. They were very maneuverable and fast and were operated by thought, allowing both passengers to engage in combat without restriction. The ride was incredibly smooth, allowing for bows and spears to be used to great effect, without the usual penalties.
Activation (7 I.S.P./hour) allows the chariot to move at a maximum speed of 50, energy absorption (6 I.S.P./hour), stop object (5 I.S.P./2 melees), enhanced awareness (1 I.S.P./melee), see the invisible (6 I.S.P./hour), energy bolt (6 I.S.P.), energy field (50 I.S.P./4 melees), dome of energy (15 I.S.P./melee), levitation (12 I.S.P./15 minutes)
The levitation is a modified form that allows the wagon to continue its forward movement while floating up to 50’ off the ground.

These would be incredibly powerful weapons platforms
The energy absorption effects renders them and their riders immune to almost all combat magic.
The Wagon with its protection from hostility is virtually immune to most fighters as well making it the equivalent of a heavy hover tank in a world of light infantry.

The Chariot is potentially worse with the dome of energy allowing it to create a wall of damage that can stop any and all physical attacks as long as the ISP holds out.

The intention is good... but the execution results in just one wagon being able to be used to utterly decimate entire armies...

I would remove the Protection from Hostility and Energy Absorption powers. They are fine for an immobile campfire effect, or on a personal item but on a vehicle it turns it into a mobile fortress.

The mobility power is to cheep as well. As it is they can basically be used forever which gives the possesser a massive mobility advantage (if only one side in a battle gets high speed armored vehicles its not going to be pretty...).

And the chariot allowing for the use of missile weapons with no penalty is pretty amazing. Even ultra tech, computer controled hover craft can't provide that perk!
I would drop that right away as that is going to make the chariot an insanely deadly weapon.

Now if your looking for these to be super weapons in a game then thats one thing, but if they are intended to be something that is not being used as a plot device super weapon... I would suggest they be toned down.
Vehicles are dangerous to power up like personal items because they are multiplicitive. The power of a vehicle is added to all of its crew and not just the one person with the wand or sword or ring. And likewise the entire crew can provide fuel...
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
AlanGunhouse
Champion

The general rule about designing a weapon is, "If the enemy captured it, would you want it used against you?" If the answer is no, then it is probably too powerful.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Mutants down under has a type of crystal magic as well if I remember correctly.
But if I was making new crystal items I would look at psionics from other systems and create new items based around their powers and abilities.
AlanGunhouse
Champion

kiralon wrote:Mutants down under has a type of crystal magic as well if I remember correctly.
But if I was making new crystal items I would look at psionics from other systems and create new items based around their powers and abilities.

I glanced at the book and do not see it...assuming it was the main book.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

its some sort of hp using crystal from memory. My tmnt books are packed away so I cant check.
AlanGunhouse
Champion

Let me know when you find it, I am curious.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Bio Manipulation Create Crystal page 12 was what I was vaguely remembering.
AlanGunhouse
Champion

Interesting. I need to find the section on "Maburn Sorcerers" to go with this. Assuming there is a separate one.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

AlanGunhouse wrote:Interesting. I need to find the section on "Maburn Sorcerers" to go with this. Assuming there is a separate one.

The Maburn Sorcerer stuff never actually materialized.
Though based on the text it seems that a Maburn has the same power only they do not need to have mutant animal psionics to do so.
I have long used this as a Super Psionic power available to players using the rules in ATB for ISP costs. And since it is crystal psi it may be quite helpful (or even a perquisite for) crystal mages who appear to be some sort of psi class or hybrid class and not a full mage class.

AlanGunhouse
Champion

The Mabarn Sorcerer was probably one of the concepts slated for Rifts: Magic Australia (or whatever they planned to call it) that got lost when the book was canceled.

Still, there should be ways for someone to take the information from Crystal Magic, Stone Mastery, Techno-Wizardry, and similar to create an actual workable system to craft Psychic Crystal items.

The Rifts South America books (which include the Akemi Gadgeteer and the Giants with Psychic stine mastery) and the Psi Mechanic class would also be required to do it right.
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Thanks for the feedback eliakon. I'll have another go over the items. They will be fairly powerful though, even after changes. These were from the Time of a Thousand Magics.
AlanGunhouse
Champion

As a suggestion, Protection from Hostility should only work on something that can not attack. That has to include the riders, if any of them make an attack, the power ends. Look at the "Crystal Staff Cloud Abilities"...the White Cloud of Peace covers it pretty well.

In general, it looks like you are trying to get too much too cheap here. The powers you are using "Energy Absorption" and "Environmental Shield" are intended to be used on an immobile device (the Campfire Star). Putting "Energy Absorption" on a mobile platform removes the grounding that allows the energy to be dissipated so cheap.

I suggest that, instead of "Energy Absorption" you use the "Energy Shell" ability from the "Defender" crystal band, costs 40 ISP, lasts 5 minutes, and makes the person pretty much immune to all energy except kinetic energy (IE physical) and direct psychic/magical attacks.

Just wondering if the Campfire Star was listed wrong and "Energy Absorption" was supposed to have a cost of 60 ISP, 6 is incredibly low for what it does.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

I wrote up a Rifts story a while back that included some crystal-like devices made from trinitite (radioactive glass created during a nuclear explosion). These were somewhat more in-line with the Island at the Edge of the World crystal devices in that they were made by and for psychics. They came in three different categories:

1. Glass items which functionally served as a replacement for steel tools and armor. They could store I.S.P. (depending on their size) or store a single pre-selected power activation (similar to a magic scroll, but for psionics). Finally, they could be repaired by a simple expenditure of I.S.P. on a 1 I.S.P. per S.D.C. basis.

2. Stone items which served as a way to focus and selectively enhance some aspect of a psionic power, such as damage, duration, or a specific manifestation of the power. These could also be repaired like Glass items, but could not store I.S.P. or a power activation.

3. Soul-Stone items, which could both enhance existing powers and enable new ones for the user. These were very rare and quite potent, and a few of them served as major plot points for the story that I wrote. They're somewhat analogous to the more powerful crystal swords, rods, and circles in Island at the Edge of the World.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

AlanGunhouse wrote:As a suggestion, Protection from Hostility should only work on something that can not attack. That has to include the riders, if any of them make an attack, the power ends. Look at the "Crystal Staff Cloud Abilities"...the White Cloud of Peace covers it pretty well.

In general, it looks like you are trying to get too much too cheap here. The powers you are using "Energy Absorption" and "Environmental Shield" are intended to be used on an immobile device (the Campfire Star). Putting "Energy Absorption" on a mobile platform removes the grounding that allows the energy to be dissipated so cheap.

I suggest that, instead of "Energy Absorption" you use the "Energy Shell" ability from the "Defender" crystal band, costs 40 ISP, lasts 5 minutes, and makes the person pretty much immune to all energy except kinetic energy (IE physical) and direct psychic/magical attacks.

Just wondering if the Campfire Star was listed wrong and "Energy Absorption" was supposed to have a cost of 60 ISP, 6 is incredibly low for what it does.

Back when this was published there wasn't a HUGE array of energy attacks. Fireball, Call Lightning, Mini Fireball, and a couple others, and the odd alien energy weapon or cyclops arrow. Thus Impervious to Energy and Energy Absorption weren't really big deals.
NOWDAYS though they are major top tier powers as energy forms and the use of them in combat has proliferated to the point that the vast majority of militaries rely heavily on directed energy for combat power.

AlanGunhouse
Champion

At least in Rifts...I doubt there are that many energy weapons in Palladium Fantasy.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

AlanGunhouse wrote:At least in Rifts...I doubt there are that many energy weapons in Palladium Fantasy.

The influence of magic has gone up significantly.
The vast majority of combat spells are now energy based for example. Thus the spell provides protection from most combat magic which is a massively powerful ability in and of itself. This is exacerbated by the fact that unlike say Rifts there is not as huge a variety of magic in the canon setting so there are less options to get around this than in Rifts.

The addition of Pyrokinessis is another example of where this shines. As does the proliferation of devices that throw lighting and fireballs.

It may not be the potentially setting busting spell that it is in Rifts, but it is still a very powerful one.

AlanGunhouse
Champion

Which is why I was wondering if it should be 60 ISP not 6.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Hotrod wrote:I wrote up a Rifts story a while back that included some crystal-like devices made from trinitite (radioactive glass created during a nuclear explosion). These were somewhat more in-line with the Island at the Edge of the World crystal devices in that they were made by and for psychics. They came in three different categories:

1. Glass items which functionally served as a replacement for steel tools and armor. They could store I.S.P. (depending on their size) or store a single pre-selected power activation (similar to a magic scroll, but for psionics). Finally, they could be repaired by a simple expenditure of I.S.P. on a 1 I.S.P. per S.D.C. basis.

2. Stone items which served as a way to focus and selectively enhance some aspect of a psionic power, such as damage, duration, or a specific manifestation of the power. These could also be repaired like Glass items, but could not store I.S.P. or a power activation.

3. Soul-Stone items, which could both enhance existing powers and enable new ones for the user. These were very rare and quite potent, and a few of them served as major plot points for the story that I wrote. They're somewhat analogous to the more powerful crystal swords, rods, and circles in Island at the Edge of the World.

Actually in Rifts a form of quartz is used in the construction of psionic powered devices (DB2 Phase World, one of the later ones also uses the material IIRC).

AlanGunhouse wrote:Just wondering if the Campfire Star was listed wrong and "Energy Absorption" was supposed to have a cost of 60 ISP, 6 is incredibly low for what it does.

No way to know for sure. But the Noro Psionic Crystal Technology (Rifts DB2 pg127-130) has weapons that fire "mind bolts" at M.D levels very cheap (Normally 40 I.S.P and would do less damage) but for inconsistent amounts (each device seems to have its own cost), granted Telepathy examples costs more and less depending on where you look (though with more than x10 the range of the regular power), and Psi-Body Field is cheaper in the armor suit (and at equiv. to 7th level). Then there is Caliber-X in Rifts England (WB3 pg106) that follows a similar pattern, as does the Amaki Psi-Blade in SA2 (at least if you are Cyber Knight or Amaki Duelist, the device only costs 2ISP where others pay regular Psi-Sword costs for an inferior blade).

Now Rifts examples might not apply, but they possibly set a megaversal precedent for Psychic Technology having costs that don't follow the norm. And in Rifts under UE's TW rules PPE cost can be reduced, so I don't see why ISP cost couldn't be reduced either.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

One thing that could be amusing with them is to have the devices only be able to use a certain amount of isp per round so you cant activate all the powers at once and have to choose, a bit like diverting engine power to shields in space sims.
Do I activate the energy protection shield or the levitate?
Tweak the costs so if your moving at full speed you cant get the energy shield active and that sort of thing.
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

kiralon wrote:One thing that could be amusing with them is to have the devices only be able to use a certain amount of isp per round so you cant activate all the powers at once and have to choose, a bit like diverting engine power to shields in space sims.
Do I activate the energy protection shield or the levitate?
Tweak the costs so if your moving at full speed you cant get the energy shield active and that sort of thing.

That's actually the way I was kind of leaning. Work is a bit crazy right now, so I need a break before I can look at it again and figure out which direction to go.
AlanGunhouse
Champion

A thing to look at is Rifts China, they have a number of ISP powered devices there created by the "Whack Job Scientists".
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

I'll have to look through my collection. I think I stopped buying Rifts books right before China came out.
AlanGunhouse
Champion

The way they create them probably is inapplicable anywhere else anyway...

It involves demon blood and Chi filled caverns.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

AlanGunhouse wrote:The way they create them probably is inapplicable anywhere else anyway...

It involves demon blood and Chi filled caverns.

True...
But file the serial numbers off of them and they work nicely.
And don't forget Psylite from Phase World. Its an ultra rare quartz that stores and manipulates psionic (ISP) energy. The Noro make a wide range of items from it that boost their powers, and another race uses it to make crystal energy weapons that are powered compleately by ISP.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”