Mind Bolt

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Veknironth
Hero

Mind Bolt

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, here I go again with these pedantic power questions. Mind Bolt says it can strike any visible target. Would that prevent a Mind Mage from doing a contact shot? For example, someone is behind the Mind Mage with a knife at his or her throat and holding the mage against him. The Mind Mage can't SEE the person, but knows exactly where he or she is. Can the Mind Mage shoot the bolt out of his or her back an into the other person's chest? What about using a mirror for a trick shot to hit someone behind you?

-Vek
"Never trust a mind mage."
Razorwing
Hero

Re: Mind Bolt

Unread post by Razorwing »

While the Mind Mage may not be able to "see" the attacker's face in such an example... he should still be able to "see" the attacker, or rather portions of the body that are in his field of vision... thus making the attacker a "visible" target. A mirror that gives him a clear view of the attacker's position in relation to him would also work (though the Mind Mage would have to compensate for the fact that things are reversed in a reflection).

Common sense and reasonable actions should trump a literal reading of the rules. There is nothing between the Mind Mage and the attacker that would normally block the attack and the attacker's exact position is known... so the only reason not to allow this is because of how one interprets the rules. Besides... it would be an awesome move that fits with the nature of Mind Mages in general... so why not? Rule #1 in RPGs is to have fun.
There are three types of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The text to says...
... and hurl it at a visible target with amazing accuracy. ...

1: there is no designation in the text of where in the body does the MB is emitted from.

2: The accuracy of the targeting is linked to the Psion's sight in the 1st paragraph.
(yes, I saw the ISP cost for doubling the bonus. this does not discount the sight-accuacy linking text.)

It might of been the intent of the writer for this power to be dedicatedly linked being able to see the target. But because the writing links the accuracy to the vision does it throw the monkey wrench into the meaning of the text.

In this case, the typical quality of the specificiy of PB writing lets this power be used w/o needing to see what/who is being attacked. I would drop the accuracy of the attack (omit the bonuses or include the firing blind penilies or firing at an invisible target) when attacking without LoS.

Now to tackle the other part of the question..can it use contact used. Both sight and touch give the being information about location. I might be liberal in this in allowing the psion to do this, depending on the player and character.
✣ I might require some sort of Char Creation Sacrifice to be made to be able to do this.
✣ Or make the ability have powers pre-requisits. Like having psi powers that let the Psion know where beings are. (sense presence/evil/good/psi/magic) And limited to which pre-req. power they have.
✣ But mostly. the player can't come to the GM cold with his idea to fire off the MB at touched attacker. The ability to use the power w/o seeing the target has to be something practiced before hand. If this practicing is something that eats up a power slot, a skill slot, in-game time, or some other sacrifice is up to the GM & player.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, Drew, that was something I was going to bring up but you already addressed it. What happens when you couple Presence Sense with Mind Bolt? Could you blast someone in the same room without looking at him or her? Certainly, you're not going to necessarily know the identity of the target but could you hit it? What if you had a familiar in the room with you and you were using it's eyes to target?

-Vek
"Down the rabbit hole we go."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I think I stoped where I should of with that subject Veknironth. Those questions are more for individual GM's to answer then anything else. And those questions have different answers when talking about what sort of game is being run.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Veknironth wrote:Well, here I go again with these pedantic power questions. Mind Bolt says it can strike any visible target. Would that prevent a Mind Mage from doing a contact shot? For example, someone is behind the Mind Mage with a knife at his or her throat and holding the mage against him. The Mind Mage can't SEE the person, but knows exactly where he or she is. Can the Mind Mage shoot the bolt out of his or her back an into the other person's chest? What about using a mirror for a trick shot to hit someone behind you?

-Vek
"Never trust a mind mage."

My theory here would be that
instance #1 does't work because you can't see the target
Instance #2 does work because you can see the target (in the mirror)

My, personal, stance here is that if the power says "You can shoot what you can see" then it mean just what it says on the tin.
If it wanted you to be able to shoot things you can't see it would be worded different (again my opinion), and say something like "when shooting something visible the accuracy is amazing..."
As for why? Who knows. I don't know how psionics work exactly so this will all be just technobabble... :lol:
Maybe you need the visual image in your brain to set up the proper power activation
Maybe you need to see the target to focus on
Maybe the power is linked to the visual cortex
Maybe the mind bolt invisibly shoots out of your eyes
I dunno, but as I read the text seeing the target and shooting the target are both equally necessary steps to the process.

As Drew said though, if a player came to me with a character concept that wanted to be able to target this power some other way... I would be willing to discuss the issue and maybe make either a new ruling, or allow a trade off, or a special skill, or add on power or what have you.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

I treat mind bolt like a bullet, it will hit anything on the way to its target.
Say you mind bolt a guy behind an invisible wall of force, wall of force stops it. If that was an invisible person, that would stop it too and the person would take damage.
If you use a familiar link to look out a creatures eyes, I would allow you to stick your finger around a corner and shoot a guy you cant see but your familiar can.

Happily just read this in saving throws vs psionics in the main book (p. 155).
However, a parry or dodge may be appropriate in some cases, like dodging a mind bolt or telekinetic attack.

You can dodge telekinetic attacks, which means they must be visible.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

I would go with a literal translation of the text, simply because a mind bolt would have to have its origination point somewhere, presumably the forehead. If not, then it would have severe penalties to the shot because the person is not in view.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Why not just apply the usual penalties for blindness (-5 to -10 I think?) whenever attacking someone behind you without turning?

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”