Immune to Disease/Poison

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Immune to Disease/Poison

Unread post by kiralon »

What happens when the immunity wears off, are you suddenly inflicted again.

Does poison get processed and eliminated from the body while you are immune.

Do your white blood cells have a field day on diseases that can't effect the body, or do the diseases just not be able to effect you and then die out like they aren't being sustained by a body e.g. the flu lasts for 24 hrs outside the body, which feeds and sustains them, so if you are immune to them so they can't get anything from your body do they die out like they are outside of the body.

or do poisons and disease wait inert until the immunity disappears and then start doing there thing again no matter how much time has passed.

(I play poisons are processed and excreted from the body, except for a few rare ones that build up because the body doesn't naturally excrete them).
Hotrod
Knight

Re: Immune to Disease/Poison

Unread post by Hotrod »

Which interpretation makes the game more interesting, immersive, and fun?
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Lukterran
Adventurer

Unread post by Lukterran »

Hotrod wrote:Which interpretation makes the game more interesting, immersive, and fun?

@Hotrod - While that is good for storytelling and single game purpose. It can be an inconstant way of going about how to judge how a magic works and expectations the players have that the GM is being fair.

I personally would rule for temporary immunities like your example are inert until the magic wear off. If they are still present in the body afterwards the would have their normal effects. They players would need to actually purge the poison or disease through another means that actually "cures" the problem.

This prevents abusing temporary magic items like a rings or some other items that grants the immunity and passing it around between players and magically "cleansing" the group.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

I'd agree. All the spell/item would do is stop any damage from occurring until it wore off. If the disease/poison isn't flushed out of the body by then it would resume damaging/affecting the victim.

I would point out though that most of the poisons I've seen in the game don't cause damage for more than a few minutes at best. The other effects may last longer though.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

I play poisons a little more deadlier. They usually have an onset of 1d4 rounds if ingested, or most are immediate with contact poison. Each dose of ingested you buy is 1d6 minutes it lasts for and at the end of each minute the damage is applied. Poison on weapons however works as normal with a one shot application that wipes off when you hit something.
Also each dose gives cumulative negatives to while that same poison is affecting you.

If someone dies of poison and is brought back to life they will still need a neutralise poison unless a decent amount of time has passed (still juicy = yes, leathery = no)
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Lukterran wrote:
Hotrod wrote:Which interpretation makes the game more interesting, immersive, and fun?

@Hotrod - While that is good for storytelling and single game purpose. It can be an inconstant way of going about how to judge how a magic works and expectations the players have that the GM is being fair.

I personally would rule for temporary immunities like your example are inert until the magic wear off. If they are still present in the body afterwards the would have their normal effects. They players would need to actually purge the poison or disease through another means that actually "cures" the problem.

This prevents abusing temporary magic items like a rings or some other items that grants the immunity and passing it around between players and magically "cleansing" the group.

Reality can seem quite arbitrary and inconstant when it comes to things like the effects of drugs, toxins, disease, and immunity even without the supernatural. The random whim of a GM in that respect might be a decent model. Of course, that could inject some frustration for players, and in that light your ruling is probably a better move.

Or you could pull a Kevin, roll some dice, and let the roll decide things.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, given that there are powers that negate poison/cure disease, I think those spells are useless if something is already in your system. It's a magical personal protective barrier. I admit the spell description seems like you can cast it on someone who is suffering from a poison and they'd be just fine, and that's a fair interpretation. But it seems an elegant solution to make one power prevent transmission of the toxin/disease and the other a cure.

-Vek
"I'm always in favor of clarifying powers, when possible."
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Veknironth wrote:Well, given that there are powers that negate poison/cure disease, I think those spells are useless if something is already in your system. It's a magical personal protective barrier. I admit the spell description seems like you can cast it on someone who is suffering from a poison and they'd be just fine, and that's a fair interpretation. But it seems an elegant solution to make one power prevent transmission of the toxin/disease and the other a cure.

-Vek
"I'm always in favor of clarifying powers, when possible."

Especially since it opens up a couple of cans of worms and raises a couple questions
The first question is "why bother with a separate negate poison spell, and a cure disease spell (that can't even cure all diseases) if you can simply cast invulnerability and cure anything and everything"

The can of worms is that it makes a single item of protection from disease a universal cure for all illness by simply touching it to a person *poof* their cured...again, why bother having anything that can use a lesser (and fallible) cure spell when you can use a much cheaper, and greater powered, resistance spell.

The other can is that it presents the precedent that you can remove curses with this trick (using any form of curse resistance for instance), or cure magical diseases (what? the spell doesn't specific right?), or reverse petrification (what? My ring give 'immunity to petrification so...") or other shenanigans which take already potent and useful magic and move it firmly into the god tier "I win" level magic.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I found Impervious to Poison Spell...and Impervious to poison/toxin psi power in the PF2 MB. Nothing about Immunity to disease in ether that I could find.

The Psi power: blocks the effects so long as the ISP holds out.
The invocation: There is less there to interpret. I would Say that the GM has a free hand in saying between: it negates all poisons on contact with the target of the spell and it just blocks the effects of the poisons. But I would also say that the GM needs to stick to that ruling so long as he is GMing the same group of characters.

Racial abilities.....the race's biology is ether so alien that things that are poison to humans don't hurt them or it clears the poison out so quickly it does not effect them.

Super power: Its a super power/""magic"" it works.
-----
negate poison/toxin: there are no psi powers that do this. There is an invocation spell though.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”