Titan home?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Ambrosius
D-Bee

Titan home?

Unread post by Ambrosius »

Do Titans have a home land? Like, do they tend to cluster in one specific area of the world? I know they're kinda rare but I was wondering they lived in a region. It seems like the other giants live in Nimro if they're not any where else, but I can't see Titans wanting to live next to Gigantes and Jotans. But I'm also not sure how prevalent they would be in a human based region. I'm trying to flesh out a character background and I don't know where to start.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Re: Titan home?

Unread post by kiralon »

Titans are now wanderers as they were decimated in the elf dwarf wars when they fought on the side of the elves. Now they aren't particularly keen on either race. If you were going to find a group of them it would likely be the old kingdom, or maybe yin sloth or gnw as they tend to get on ok with the frost giants.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

I always got the feeling that their homeland was in the Balagor Rainforest...
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Ambrosius
D-Bee

kiralon wrote:Titans are now wanderers as they were decimated in the elf dwarf wars when they fought on the side of the elves. Now they aren't particularly keen on either race. If you were going to find a group of them it would likely be the old kingdom, or maybe yin sloth or gnw as they tend to get on ok with the frost giants.

In the fluff text they seem to be kind of secretive. I know there's a hidden town or something like that in Yin Sloth, IIRC. Old Kingdom would work too since that was probably a part of their lands?
Ambrosius
D-Bee

eliakon wrote:I always got the feeling that their homeland was in the Balagor Rainforest...

Why so? Just want to hear rationale.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Ambrosius wrote:
eliakon wrote:I always got the feeling that their homeland was in the Balagor Rainforest...

Eli will have his own reasons, but I can see where he's coming from.

They sided with the elves... proximity is a good reason for them to have been aligned with the elves initially, especially if they objected to rune magic and summoning, which I view as being dwarven arts. It's also not far from Mt. Nimro, which has long had a giant presence, and so the titans might have been from near there. So, they and the elves grew to an alliance... and then the Baalgor Rainforest was decimated in the Elf/Dwarf Wars, leaving the Titans without a homeland, and suspicious of the elves who failed to protect them and the dwarves who destroyed their homeland.

BUT, bear in mind that Titans are so powerfully, individually, that they're not dissimilar from dragons... they're a Megaversal species, capable of interdimensional travel. A titan without a cause might simply leave the world to go find one.

Relevant quote from the PFRPG

p. 285 wrote:The Elven cities were famous as places of higher learning, magic and science. An estimated 100 million elves are believed to have once inhabited this rich center of the continent [note: the New Kingdom]. The last of the famous Titans also found refuge in these gleaming cities, along with other friendly races like the fledgling humans, as well as clans of submissive goblins, Hob-goblins and Orcs which comprised the heart of the Elven labor force.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, there is Titania. I assume there are a few there. I realize it's a 1st Edition city, but it's still semi-canon.

-Vek
"Probably in the Land of the Damned somewhere also."
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

They're kind of like the True Atlanteans of Palladium Fantasy in my head-canon. Nomadic, but they get together every now and then. They could be a great people if they organized, got together, and got busy for a while, but they breed reluctantly, like Pandas, so they're pretty rare and gradually fading away.

Where's the reference on Titania?
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Veknironth
Hero

Well, it's way in the back of the Yin-Sloth Jungles book, page 150. There are 5 paragraphs about it and it's essentially a shining city on a hill. Of note for this post, however, is the population breakdown. "The population is roughly 19,000; 60% are titans, 15% elves 10% humans, 5% other giants, 2 % avians and 8% other races."

It is not my typo to have no comma after avians. But that looks like 11,400 Titans in one place, although imagine they are often going about doing things here and there.

-Vek
"You guys never heard of Titania?"
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Mark Hall wrote:
Ambrosius wrote:

They sided with the elves... proximity is a good reason for them to have been aligned with the elves initially, especially if they objected to rune magic and summoning, which I view as being dwarven arts. It's also not far from Mt. Nimro, which has long had a giant presence, and so the titans might have been from near there. So, they and the elves grew to an alliance... and then the Baalgor Rainforest was decimated in the Elf/Dwarf Wars, leaving the Titans without a homeland, and suspicious of the elves who failed to protect them and the dwarves who destroyed their homeland.

BUT, bear in mind that Titans are so powerfully, individually, that they're not dissimilar from dragons... they're a Megaversal species, capable of interdimensional travel. A titan without a cause might simply leave the world to go find one.

p. 285 wrote:The Elven cities were famous as places of higher learning, magic and science. An estimated 100 million elves are believed to have once inhabited this rich center of the continent [note: the New Kingdom]. The last of the famous Titans also found refuge in these gleaming cities, along with other friendly races like the fledgling humans, as well as clans of submissive goblins, Hob-goblins and Orcs which comprised the heart of the Elven labor force.

This in a nutshell
I sort of figure that they are one of the Archaic races that fought the Old Ones.
Then they ended up siding with the elves (who fought with them) and... well stuff happens. But they were their friends, and friendship means something.
Right up until the Dwarves vaporized the Rainforest and the cities along with it.
This cut the moral heart out of the Elves and lead to the final cycle of atrocities...
...which would also neatly fit the idea of one of the last restraining moral forces (the Titans) being devastated and unable to apply any sort of even limited moral authority on the conflict.
(I would have to look for the relevant quote. It is, I believe, in Baalgor Wasteland)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Ambrosius
D-Bee

Veknironth wrote:Well, it's way in the back of the Yin-Sloth Jungles book, page 150. There are 5 paragraphs about it and it's essentially a shining city on a hill. Of note for this post, however, is the population breakdown. "The population is roughly 19,000; 60% are titans, 15% elves 10% humans, 5% other giants, 2 % avians and 8% other races."

It is not my typo to have no comma after avians. But that looks like 11,400 Titans in one place, although imagine they are often going about doing things here and there.

-Vek
"You guys never heard of Titania?"

Hmm. That's interesting. Kind of a cool place to be in the middle of a jungle. Makes sense for people aren't too commonly found.
Ambrosius
D-Bee

eliakon wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:
Ambrosius wrote:

This in a nutshell
I sort of figure that they are one of the Archaic races that fought the Old Ones.
Then they ended up siding with the elves (who fought with them) and... well stuff happens. But they were their friends, and friendship means something.
Right up until the Dwarves vaporized the Rainforest and the cities along with it.
This cut the moral heart out of the Elves and lead to the final cycle of atrocities...
...which would also neatly fit the idea of one of the last restraining moral forces (the Titans) being devastated and unable to apply any sort of even limited moral authority on the conflict.
(I would have to look for the relevant quote. It is, I believe, in Baalgor Wasteland)

This makes sense and does add some flavor. I should really read more on the war I suppose.

I always imagined after the way they just decided to veer off away from society.
Veknironth
Hero

Well, Titania is really on the coast. It's sort of between Freedara and Cyclone south of the Giant's Run Mountains. Also, the leader of the Fort can make it seem like a part of the mountain.

-Vek
"A 2nd edition of the Yin Sloth could be fun."
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Huh, I always kind of ignored the Yin-Sloth Jungles, and my map-making projects have mostly focused on the northern half of the continent so far. That region is a mess from a cartography perspective, as the sourcebook's maps don't even come close to lining up with the original world map.

Of the regions with their own sourcebooks, it's probably the last one I'll do.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Unread post by Whiskeyjack »

I don't know Hotrod. Maybe a map of the area would spark some interest at Palladium on getting a second edition out. :)

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”