Travel Through Earth

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Veknironth
Hero

Travel Through Earth

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, another installment of Vek asking pedantic questions about magic that probably can't be answered. Today, the Earth Warlock spell Travel Though Earth.

So, here are my questions. While travelling through the earth, can the caster see? If so, how far and how well? This would be an excellent method of looking for buried items. Can the caster see from the earth into another medium, such as water or air? Can the caster travel between the mediums, like swimming up to a shoreline, and then into the beach, and then back into the water? If the caster finds something in the earth, can he/she bring it up with him/her, like by towing it?

If the caster cannot see, is the caster just wandering around like someone blind or walking in total darkness? Does the caster have any sense of direction or depth? For example, would the caster know if he or she was travelling further down, or how to make it back to the surface?

Does the caster have any of his or her other senses? I assume taste is a no, but what about temperature, hearing, or tactile sensations?

What about Lava? It's not solid stone.

What happens when the caster is walking through earth and encounters something that he or she can't pass through? Does the caster have to move around them? If moving at top speed can the caster become impaled by the object by accident (if walking blind)? Does the caster bleed in this state? Is there even damage?

-Vek
"Not solid as a rock."
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Re: Travel Through Earth

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I'd say that you can see about as far as you can travel in a melee (60' for Earth, 30' for Stone). Objects you can't travel through would be opaque. You are not protected from lava, can generally use your other senses in a bubble 60' or 30' in radius. I'd let them bring things out of the earth if they find them there, and can move them on their own.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, I forgot some questions. How does the person move? Is it like swimming, or just floating about in the Astral Plane?

Also, does the size of the caster matter? For example, could a gnome using this more easily navigate around buried objects than an ogre?

Can this spell be case on a dead body and be used to bury it?

If two people are using the spell simultaneously, can they engage in a fight underground? Can they use weapons, or just their body? Do they still receive physical stat modifiers? Can you really gain a strength bonus when you aren't bracing against anything to overcome Newton's 3rd Law?

If you can move objects out of the way or haul them to the surface, does the mass of the object matter? How much force is needed to move the object? Is it based on spell strength or strength of the person on whom the spell was cast?

-Vek
"Sorry for the double post."
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

As you can't speak while travelling through earth you would be best having xray vision as well.
Spell is self only so that's stop the casting on dead bodies.
Running into impassable objects hurts like walking into a wall does.
As you can walk through earth your feet can brace so you can fight, just wouldn't bother against an earth elemental.
Can't move anything down there.
Depending on the blocking objects but yes I think a gnome is going to have an easier time of it.
I think it would be pretty quiet unless there is something like an earthquake.
Yep he bleeds if he takes enough damage
However earth warlocks have an advantage when travelling through earth.
"More importantly, they can sense danger located in the earth like loose rocks, quicksand, mud, mud slides, and even pit traps. 32% +4% per level of experience.
Underground, the earth warlock has a keen sense of direction; 80% +2% per level of experience
."

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”