Stats for the Old Ones

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

SolCannibal
Champion

Stats for the Old Ones

Unread post by SolCannibal »

Just out of curiosity, does any of those guys get something like a sheet of sorts, beside Xy indirectly in his current/nicer form?
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Re: Stats for the Old Ones

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

In first edition some were statted with like 80,000 HP for example.

In second ed. the best deduction is that due to the power of his/her witch in the place of magic, Syth is level 300 spell caster and he/she is a "minor" Old One. Doesnt Tally to well with the Thoth crossover in power tbh.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
SolCannibal
Champion

The Dark Elf wrote:In first edition some were statted with like 80,000 HP for example.

In second ed. the best deduction is that due to the power of his/her witch in the place of magic, Syth is level 300 spell caster and he/she is a "minor" Old One. Doesnt Tally to well with the Thoth crossover in power tbh.

Yeah, the first bit sounds much easier to work into an actual game than the second. Would you know the particular books where those particular references/implications appear?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The RCB1 (not revised) has the random stats text for Alien Intel.'s (page 204). Since the OO are AI's they would fall within the higher end (or above) of those stats ranges.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
SolCannibal
Champion

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:The RCB1 (not revised) has the random stats text for Alien Intel.'s (page 204). Since the OO are AI's they would fall within the higher end (or above) of those stats ranges.

Those i know all too well, i was curious about more specific examples such as the ones Dark Elf referenced.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

So witches with pact of union such as Sharr Cruant (in the place of magic adventure) is said to have such a pact, casts her spells at 10th level. The witches pact of union gives the witch the ability to cast at a third of the creatures normal range and duration but then gives the example as a third in levels (So now we have the old one at level 30 if you're following).

But under the description of Syth it says he is currently at 1/100th of his power (so that would make him level 3000)!

I think I originally said 300 (which was bad enough lol) but that's how I deduced it....
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

They are statted in first ed to be unfightable.
10000 hp is the least
basically maxed (or above max)out with psionics and spells.
Easiest thing to do is grab a dragon god and put a zero on the end of everything. Old ones are Bad News, with capitals and all, and have battered cthulu rings and godling sauce for breakfast, play pool with death stars (have pretty lights), have some dragon god steaks for lunch, and munchkin, cream and splugorth bacon pasta for tea. Then glitterboy after dinner mints to keep their breath fresh.
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

You are confusing casting level with nonlevel based power.
Syth is as a 100th of it's normal power, not level. Though they are fantastically pwoerful at magic.
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer

Sir_Spirit wrote:You are confusing casting level with nonlevel based power.
Syth is as a 100th of it's normal power, not level. Though they are fantastically pwoerful at magic.

No mistake I dont differentiate the two (in this circumstance) as one is written narratively and the other is a game mechanic. But it is a purely subjective thing which everyone is free the determine individually. :wink:
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Their hit points, ISP, and PPE are all .
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

The Dark Elf wrote:In first edition some were statted with like 80,000 HP for example.

It says he was also lessened and de-powered when he became Thoth.

He might be a powerful god/alien intelligence, but actual old ones are stronger. Hes weak now.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

If you want to look at scary stats, just make them up. If you want something for your players to fight, find something other than The Old Ones. They're really not intended for direct conflict, you just kind of lose.

Though I would like to see one of them waste their time in casting a lvl 300 version of a low level damage spell. Even still, 300d4 for a fireball seems low. :P
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
42dragon
Explorer

Unread post by 42dragon »

If I remember correctly stats for gods in PF1ed were something like 300HP, maybe 1,000HP. And the lesser imprisoned Old One in Book 2 was like 80,000HP.

So yeah take a 2ed Dragon God and then multiply by like x50 for a lesser and x100+ for a greater old one. And set the level at what ever you want, and don't forget special powers like unknown magics, creating things at will, and possibly just wiping things from existence.

So yeah, no something you fight.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

I would say that their stats are something along the lines of "Yes"
If you end up fighting one, you lose.
Period.
The last time they lost a fight it took the combined forces of several dozen of pantheons covered by several hundred races as skirmish troops...and they still inflicted catastrophic casualties on their opponents before being knocked unconscious and tied up.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

eliakon wrote:I would say that their stats are something along the lines of "Yes"
If you end up fighting one, you lose.
Period.
The last time they lost a fight it took the combined forces of several dozen of pantheons covered by several hundred races as skirmish troops...and they still inflicted catastrophic casualties on their opponents before being knocked unconscious and tied up.

and nobody had a knife big enough to kill them either.
Suicycho
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Suicycho »

I haven't played in years. I was always the GM in PF. The way I dealt with the Old Ones was like this. To even glimpse upon them required a save vs magic. A successful save and you only received terrible nightmares and a bout of PTSD. An unsuccessful got the same plus a roll or two on the random insanity tables.

In one particular game, an old one actually opened an eyeball. Low level npcs caught in its glare simply melted away screaming in pain and unimaginable insanity. Players made save vs magic. A successful roll only netted 3 rolls on the random insanity. A failed roll permanently lowered MA , ME and IQ by a d4 roll each plus 3 rolls on the random insanity tables.
Suicycho-the only Sound Off poster to get a thread locked for flaming himself.

"And that's why I call you Cracker you cracker." -Daniel Stoker

"IM perfectly willing to accept whatever Suicycho say's as GOd GIven Truth." -Sir Spirit
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

I'm more interested in damage output and maybe healing rate / mobility than how much HP / SDC someone has, that can be whittled down.

High levels like 300+ would be cool.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”