D-Fence

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Veknironth
Hero

D-Fence

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, here's a fun topic over which to argue.

Which Wizard spell is the best one for defensive purposes? Explain your answer and show your work.

-Vek
"There might be a right answer."
Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Re: D-Fence

Unread post by Greyaxe »

For limitless overall effect, Sanctuary. For a more mundane solution Immobilize. Both of these leave all the attackers unharmed.
For combat, Armour Bizarre, due to the horror factor of 16.
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

Invulnerability (limited)
Immune to non magical heat/fire/cold/poisons/toxins/drugs, gases and disease. Magic damage does half damage.
You get form fitting armour of 25 sdc per level of caster also +4 save vs magic, hf and psionics.
All for 25 ppe.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

kiralon wrote:Invulnerability (limited)
Immune to non magical heat/fire/cold/poisons/toxins/drugs, gases and disease. Magic damage does half damage.
You get form fitting armour of 25 sdc per level of caster also +4 save vs magic, hf and psionics.
All for 25 ppe.

or River of lava (most opponents just die)
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

I think it depends in part on the situation and the magic category.

Invisibility: Simple (or Superior) OR Shdaowmeld can make you hard to hit and allow one to just walk away.
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

If terms of "offense is the best defense" then Flames of Lictalon(or whatever that Spell of Legend is called that eats the souls of those that enter).
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Float in Air. No saving throw, no weight limit, you weak your enemy.
Increase Weight. Hey your armor or boots now weighs 100 lbs (.45 kg) per level of experience.
No save.
Air Warlock Thunder clap (2 points)
Air Warlock Levitate. No save. 200 lbs (90 kg) per level of experience. No horizontal movement.
You're stuck.
Veknironth
Hero

Well, I'm pretty sure I specified wizard spells so I'm ignoring any Warlock only spells. What I was thinking of was Energy Field. I used to think it was useless, until I asked about it on the board and people explained that the AR of 4 meant that rolls above 4 did damage to the field, not that they passed through it. So, for 10PPE, you get to protect a small group of people up to 60 SDC. It's not a lot, but you can always recast it. Now, this doesn't protect against gas or clouds, but I like it regardless.

-Vek
"If you think the 4 AR is provided to the people inside the field, then it's worthless."
Lukterran
Adventurer

Unread post by Lukterran »

Veknironth wrote:Well, I'm pretty sure I specified wizard spells so I'm ignoring any Warlock only spells. What I was thinking of was Energy Field. I used to think it was useless, until I asked about it on the board and people explained that the AR of 4 meant that rolls above 4 did damage to the field, not that they passed through it. So, for 10PPE, you get to protect a small group of people up to 60 SDC. It's not a lot, but you can always recast it. Now, this doesn't protect against gas or clouds, but I like it regardless.

-Vek
"If you think the 4 AR is provided to the people inside the field, then it's worthless."

Invulnerability is better and scales with level and only cost 25 PPE. Not to mention all the additional bonuses and resistances. You can cast it on others without negatively effecting their combat performance. Even if depleted of SDC you still get the resistances and bonuses.
Veknironth
Hero

Well, I do love me some Limited Invulnerability, no joke. But I went with the smaller PPE cost and the ability to cover more people. It also can work as a make-shift wall.

I wonder what the coefficient of friction is for the Energy Field. Could someone climb up it?

-Vek
"Energy Jungle Gym."
Lukterran
Adventurer

Veknironth wrote:Well, I do love me some Limited Invulnerability, no joke. But I went with the smaller PPE cost and the ability to cover more people. It also can work as a make-shift wall.

I wonder what the coefficient of friction is for the Energy Field. Could someone climb up it?

-Vek
"Energy Jungle Gym."

Doubtful that you could climb it. It is energy after all. Can you hold or climb any energy? Nope, because it is energy and not matter. If you could climb a magnetic field I suppose you could climb it. Otherwise I would say nah.
Veknironth
Hero

Well, it's magic energy. If it's just regular energy it wouldn't stop anything or have any SDC. It would essentially be a cool special effect with no defensive value. This is what I used to think the spell was.

-Vek
"I still agree with you that you shouldn't be able to climb it."
Torval
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Torval »

Veknironth wrote:Well, I'm pretty sure I specified wizard spells so I'm ignoring any Warlock only spells. What I was thinking of was Energy Field. I used to think it was useless, until I asked about it on the board and people explained that the AR of 4 meant that rolls above 4 did damage to the field, not that they passed through it. So, for 10PPE, you get to protect a small group of people up to 60 SDC. It's not a lot, but you can always recast it. Now, this doesn't protect against gas or clouds, but I like it regardless.

-Vek

I have always thought Energy Field was useless because I interpreted that with an AR of 4, anything over that would simply penetrate the shield. Where can I see something regarding this alternate interpretation?
Lukterran
Adventurer

Torval wrote:

-Vek

I have always thought Energy Field was useless because I interpreted that with an AR of 4, anything over that would simply penetrate the shield. Where can I see something regarding this alternate interpretation?

The AR 4 reference was just dumb and creates confusion. It is more like a Natural A.R. but rolls under 4 normally miss, anyways so again stupid reason to even mention it. Since obviously it isn't a useless spell with no benefits (why would they create a spell that did nothing?). It takes all damage until depleted of SDC.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”