Horsemanship Exotic for Wolven.

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Horsemanship Exotic for Wolven.

Unread post by Greyaxe »

I am thinking of domesticated Bison as mounts. Large enough to carry heavy Wolven and gear, strong and high endurance. Thoughts?
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Re: Horsemanship Exotic for Wolven.

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

could work. though Bison are open field/plains animals, they aren't in the northern wilderness itself (monsters and animals pg 198), and would have to be imported from ophid's grasslands.

Moose on the otherhand are native to the northern wilderness (pg202), and they could be semi-domesticated (they are hard to tame, but you can do it)
there have even been experiments into using them as mounts IRL, most famously by Sweden in the 1700's. they didn't work great because the animals in question were not fully tame, but if the wolfen have had tame moose for generations they could have bred the more troublesome issues out of their domestic versions.

another option might be to add one not found in the game already..

Megaloceros giganteus, or Irish Elk, was a massive deer as big as a moose, and could use the Moose's stats easily enough.
you can see Thranduil, the elf king, on a very similar animal in the film The Hobbit: Battle of 5 Armies.

if giant deer aren't interesting enough, you could stick in the woolly Rhino (Coelodonta antiquitatis), usign the black rhino stats on pg 204, and giving it a thick fur coat.

and you could do a Woolly Mammoth or Mastodon as well, using the African elephant stats on pg 204, which would give the Wolfen a platform for archers and spearmen to fight from. Mastodon's are the more forest adapted (mammoths were grass grazers, mastodons were tree and brush browsers) so would probably fit better.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

From what I have read of Bison they can be only semi domesticated, are ornery, weigh an average of 1500lbs and can jump 6", so imagine taming an angry sedan that can jump on you and flatten you. Also while they can be tamed it has to be done from calf, away from other bison and they tend to only accept a small group of humans so they wouldn't like going around in big herds of bison and riders.

I don't think wolven would take to being cavalry themselves, with their dog legs and tail riding anything would be a pain, and they themselves tend to be pretty quick and strong. I think they would stick to using Centaur as cavalry.
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Unread post by Whiskeyjack »

glitterboy2098 wrote:could work. though Bison are open field/plains animals, they aren't in the northern wilderness itself (monsters and animals pg 198), and would have to be imported from ophid's grasslands.

if giant deer aren't interesting enough, you could stick in the woolly Rhino (Coelodonta antiquitatis), usign the black rhino stats on pg 204, and giving it a thick fur coat.

and you could do a Woolly Mammoth or Mastodon as well, using the African elephant stats on pg 204, which would give the Wolfen a platform for archers and spearmen to fight from. Mastodon's are the more forest adapted (mammoths were grass grazers, mastodons were tree and brush browsers) so would probably fit better.

Woodland bison are always an option. They were native to the boreal forest. They're taller and more slender than the plains bison.
The wooly rhino and mammoth are detailed in Northern Hinterlands I believe.

I still don't get why people get hung up on the tail of a Wolfen interfering with sitting. My dog sits like a person all the time. The tail is more than flexible enough to sit off to the side comfortably.
Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Great suggestions guys thanks.
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

hmm.. maybe Diatryma? they're native to Ophid's grasslands*, so would have to be imported, and i'm not sure how tameable they would be, but large predatory birds would make interesting mounts.

*which i find hilarious, because the Diatryma from 50 million years ago lived in a world wheregrass did not exist, and the parts of the world it lived in were heavily forested.. of course the best evidence we have now indicates the historical ones were herbivores, so clearly either they evolved heavily or are dimensional analogs that just look similar
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”