Island at the Edge of the World Black Wall

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Iron Sorcerer
D-Bee

Island at the Edge of the World Black Wall

Unread post by Iron Sorcerer »

The book Island at the Edge of the World apparently mentions the main continent of Palladium world is surrounded by a large, impenetrable black wall. However I cannot find a copy of this book for sale at a reasonable price and am curious if anyone can give me more details about this Black Wall.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Island at the Edge of the World Black Wall

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

It is moving some feet per year.
So unlike PlateTectonics it will start encroaching the continent within a few thousand years.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Iron Sorcerer
D-Bee

Unread post by Iron Sorcerer »

How far offshore is it currently?
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Information about the Black Wall was updated in Bizantium and the Northern Island. I
can tell you that the Black Wall is no longer moving and its no longer bonded to the
Circle of Absoulte Elemental Power (meaning events from Island at the End of the World
have been solved). I can't off the top of my head recall the measurements and
distances but no places of importance are in danger any more. The Black Wall is now
back working in its original incarnation, meaning to touch it and you end up on the
opposite side. Who knows what is beyond the Veil?
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Reagren Wright wrote:Information about the Black Wall was updated in Bizantium and the Northern Island. I
can tell you that the Black Wall is no longer moving and its no longer bonded to the
Circle of Absoulte Elemental Power (meaning events from Island at the End of the World
distances but no places of importance are in danger any more. The Black Wall is now
back working in its original incarnation, meaning to touch it and you end up on the

If only there were some way of tunneling through to the other side...
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Reagren Wright
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Hotrod wrote:
Reagren Wright wrote:Information about the Black Wall was updated in Bizantium and the Northern Island. I

If only there were some way of tunneling through to the other side...

The Black Wall reached to the bottom of the ocean, so you have to swim to the bottom then tunnel under the ground. But
since the wall merely teleports you to the other side of it, there is no reason to try to tunnel under it. The wall is now perfectly
safe to touch. As to what is on the other side, its entirely up to your G.M. until we can pry the info from Kevin as to what he
thinks is on the other side. I've heard stories but I don't believe them.
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

The wall isn't a wall, it's a disintegrating effect shaped like a wall.
Well, not so much disintegrating, as random teleporting IIRC. The wall was growing due to a GMPC who the PC needed to kill, once that's done the wall is just proof that Palladium is a Flat World.
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

According to Island at the Edge of the World, the Circle of Absolute Power was destroying everything that touched it, but in its natural state, the wall simply teleports whoever touches it to a random dimension (and no-one has yet found their way back).
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

Sir_Spirit wrote:The wall isn't a wall, it's a disintegrating effect shaped like a wall.
Well, not so much disintegrating, as random teleporting IIRC. The wall was growing due to a GMPC who the PC needed to kill, once that's done the wall is just proof that Palladium is a Flat World.

Isn't Palladium a pocket dimension in and of itself with the wall around it being the edge of the universe?
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Something like that.
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Warshield73 wrote:
Sir_Spirit wrote:The wall isn't a wall, it's a disintegrating effect shaped like a wall.

Isn't Palladium a pocket dimension in and of itself with the wall around it being the edge of the universe?

I've read some talk on the boards that there is a world beyond the wall according to Kevin.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Library Ogre
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I like the idea that the Palladium world is a pocket dimension designed to contain the Old Ones... it functions imperfectly, but works to clean their taint from the Megaverse.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Mark Hall wrote:I like the idea that the Palladium world is a pocket dimension designed to contain the Old Ones... it functions imperfectly, but works to clean their taint from the Megaverse.

Except that the palladium world was there before the OO were defeated.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:I like the idea that the Palladium world is a pocket dimension designed to contain the Old Ones... it functions imperfectly, but works to clean their taint from the Megaverse.

Because it was made by the Old Ones to live in, as a sort of between place. Very Rifts Earth like, then the magic mostly got sucked away to constantly imprison them and the rifts went away.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

there being a world outside the wall would not preclude it being a pocket dimension.. it just means that the pocket dimension is even larger than just inside the wall.\

i could imagine the old ones, with their immense power, could easily have made a whole pocket universe. Star, planets, etc. and given the implications of their descriptions, i suspect having a whole world to play with and rule over would have been more likely than a single continent.

the wall might be part of the containment of the old ones.. isolating their prisons from even the rest of that world. if one wakes up, it might limit how much damage they can do before the pantheons can respond.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Library Ogre
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

That's what THEY want you to think. Really, the depradations of the Old Ones spanned the Megaverse, and the Palladium World was created from corrupted bits of other worlds, forming a great prison.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Tristine was an Old One! The Chronicles are a lie!
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

I prefer to think of the Edge as a barrier that protects the rest of the Palladium world from what's inside The barrier itself is essentially a one-way rift, so it doesn't seem like something that would keep things inside from escaping to other dimensions. I like to think that there's something worth cosmic levels of protection on the other side.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”