Priest 2nd ed. queries

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Osmeroid
D-Bee

Priest 2nd ed. queries

Unread post by Osmeroid »

Got a couple of Q's regarding priestly prayers in 2nd ed. I've been away from RPGs for some time and just starting to get back into TT gaming, so please bear with me if these questions have been asked previously. I asked similar questions in a group on FB but seemed to get opinions rather than clarification.

1. How long do each of the 'prayers', not the 'blessings' take to perform?

2. How often can the prayer of intervention be cast in a 24 hour period?

I'm not sure if I am staring directly at the answers in my book or if they have just not been specified. Can I get page refs if they have been published?

Thank you chaps!
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Re: Priest 2nd ed. queries

Unread post by kiralon »

1. With the numbers of attacks per round that you get, too long. I just go by the amount of time it says the prayers of blessing take. (1 round p.65 main book)

2. 5470 times.
First ed had a limit of twice per day, but 2nd ed version is limited by how often the god wants to power it. I do not know a player/gm combo who is happy with the intervention prayers. They are massively overpowered and a real pain for the gm, not to mention the healing. When the priest says im going to charge you for healing/using godly powers the party members usually say they are going to charge the same amount for keeping him alive in a fight. 2nd ed priests are broken.
Change the prayers of intervention to 1% per level of each faithful praying along with the priest including the priests level to get an intervention off.
give priest some magic starting at level 1, or level 3 if they take hth expert, or level 5 if they take hth martial arts or assassin.
I just dumped 2nd ed dnd priestly magic in for the last priest I dm'd as a test and it worked really well with some modifications to the magic. (Making a wizard using 2nd ed dnd magic with some slight modifications also makes for an interesting npc opponent as the casting is a little different with the casting times, so its easier to disrupt. I just call it one of the lost magics from a time of a thousand magics)
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Definitely agree with you that 2nd edition Priest prayer of intervention can be a G.M.
pain. I default back to the original 1st edition rule. But making it so difficult that no
one would use it, is to common of a trend in the PF as it is. Scroll conversion, spell
creation, remove curse from rune weapons or deific powers, all have these insane
small % of completeting. Yes it should not be anything easy, but no so hard that no
one choose to utilize those characters or even attempt the ability.
Osmeroid
D-Bee

Unread post by Osmeroid »

That's a shame. I really like the look and feel of a lot of the 2nd ed. classes but a good number of priestly abilities seem to be so vague in terms of use that I dislike the idea of having a priest in a party. Chatting with people, some have pointed out that the priest's healing touch is super powerful outside of combat (limitless use) but seems a bit stunted during combat - 2D4 doesn't do a great deal for a group of six players at 5th level.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”