Methods of long-distance instant communication?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Hotrod
Knight

Methods of long-distance instant communication?

Unread post by Hotrod »

I'm trying to come up with a list of means by which people in Palladium Fantasy could communicate instantly over great distances. Instant transportation over long distances would also work, but any method would work. Long-range monitoring could also work. The distances involved needs to be hundreds of miles at least, preferably thousands. My list so far:

1. The Crystal Communicator Headband from Island at the Edge of the World: works anywhere in the world.
2. The Monitor and Group Monitor Stars from the same book would also work as long as a subject was staring at the required message.
3. The Crystal Fortress would also do the job, though its other effects would probably interfere with what I have in mind.
4. A Circle of teleportation (1800 miles)
5. Crystal Balls (both from Island at the Edge and standard)
6. Crystal Armor (from Island at the Edge of the World)
7. The Crystal Gateway (from Island at the Edge of the World)
8. A Circle of All Seeing
9. Teleport: Superior (level 15 spell)

Any others you can think of?

The rather nerdy reason I'm looking into this is that I'm contemplating how someone in Palladium might make maps of great accuracy. It's possible to get your north-south latitude using a sextant from circa 1800 and the North Star or sun to within 1/4 mile. Longitude, however, was a huge problem for humanity on Earth for many centuries, as it required accurate timekeeping. Before electronics and satellites, we solved this problem using clocks and observations of the sun to determine the local noon, and we could get to within 4 miles. For people who lacked clocks, another method was to tell time by the position of the moon, which could get within 15 miles. With instant supernatural communication, however, the denizens of Palladium could measure noon at a reference location and plot their east-west position to within 2 miles. That would allow for maps with the kind of accuracy and precision you'd see circa 1900.
Last edited by Hotrod on Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Re: Methods of long-distance instant communication?

Unread post by kiralon »

flight spell, invisibility and total recall, cast spell on a 6ftx6ftx6ft wooden box, Use invisible ward and permanency so the box turns invisible and fly spell is permanent.
Fly spell has a maximum altitude of 1000ft. Use a small focus area frame (say 3x3 of 4x4 ft) that fits on the bottom of the box, this is what you take the total recall snapshots through
Fly around taking total recall pictures and then draw them onto paper, use 2 people for collaboration and 1 person to pilot.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

kiralon wrote:flight spell, invisibility and total recall, cast spell on a 6ftx6ftx6ft wooden box, Use invisible ward and permanency so the box turns invisible and fly spell is permanent.
Fly spell has a maximum altitude of 1000ft. Use a small focus area frame (say 3x3 of 4x4 ft) that fits on the bottom of the box, this is what you take the total recall snapshots through
Fly around taking total recall pictures and then draw them onto paper, use 2 people for collaboration and 1 person to pilot.

One could do that with almost any means of flying. That's handy for creating a local map, but not for getting an accurate fix on one's global coordinates.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. Currently I'm at work and, therefore, away from my books. While I generally dislike posting without fact checking first, I fear I'll forget to post at all if I don't do this now.

While not "instant," I think (but cannot confirm at the moment) that Astral Projection may help here. In addition to flight, I want to say it has an insanely fast travel speed (which could include going into the Astral Plane which has a different flow of time, if I recall correctly). This would take a few minutes, but might still work. Farewell and safe journeys in the Astral Plane.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Hotrod wrote:
kiralon wrote:flight spell, invisibility and total recall, cast spell on a 6ftx6ftx6ft wooden box, Use invisible ward and permanency so the box turns invisible and fly spell is permanent.

One could do that with almost any means of flying. That's handy for creating a local map, but not for getting an accurate fix on one's global coordinates.

The fly spell works on a box so you can trace stuff to if you have to, and the handy ability of not being able to go over 1000ft above the ground.

Circle of pawn summoning has comms in a radius of 1000miles per level.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

If the mage has none of those they can fall back onto the magic pigeon. The org. spell to communicate between two mages over long distances. Yes, it is more like using snail mail but it is the spell that ""fits"" the PF setting concept.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Options for Instant (or near instant) Long Distance Communication:
-Ley Line Transmission Spell (pg195 PF2E): has the limitation of only allowing transmissions along a ley line, with no limit on the ley line length.
-Calling Spell (pg196 PF2E): 2miles per level, limited in scope though
-Teleport Lesser Sepll (pg199 PF2E): 5miles per level, limited in what gets teleported, but could be used for messaging (the success rate might be an issue).
-Second Sight Spell (pg202 PF2E): 5miles per level, does require both participants to know each other
-Mystic Alarm (pg191 PF2E): Single Use, but has unlimited range (even across dimensions). Depending on how Permanency Wards work with the specific incantation, you might be able to use it tap out messages (I'm assuming you know which object is being disturbed when the alarm goes off)
-Astral Projection Psi/Spell (pg168 PF2E): when combined with other abilities, it can allow for fairly fast travel (670mph speed on the physical plane, jumping to Astral plane to travel farther is possible, at least megaverally) and near instant communication. At a speed of ~11miles per minute, even at 1st level you can travel 55miles to deliver a message (due to time constraints you obviously won't be able to use the full range at 1st level) and if two astral travellers meet could increase the range even more in a hand-off (and being snapped back)
-Gem of Direction Magic Item (pg256 PF2E): okay maybe not useful for communication, but navigation is its purpose (which seems to be part of the point of this topic) and it is said to be "common". So if you know two locations and their known longitude is known, I would think you could figure out your longitude from that.

I realize that some of these don't get into the >=100s of miles requested, but using Ley Lines/Nexus modifiers and caster level (and maybe some other modifiers?)... However they could be done in a daisy chain of castings to get longer range (resulting in near instant) which can open it up even more
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Hotrod wrote:I'm trying to come up with a list of means by which people in Palladium Fantasy could communicate instantly over great distances. Instant transportation over long distances would also work, but any method would work. Long-range monitoring could also work. The distances involved needs to be hundreds of miles at least, preferably thousands. My list so far:

1. The Crystal Communicator Headband from Island at the Edge of the World: works anywhere in the world.
2. The Monitor and Group Monitor Stars from the same book would also work as long as a subject was staring at the required message.
3. The Crystal Fortress would also do the job, though its other effects would probably interfere with what I have in mind.
4. A Circle of teleportation (1800 miles)
5. Crystal Balls (both from Island at the Edge and standard)
6. Crystal Armor (from Island at the Edge of the World)
7. The Crystal Gateway (from Island at the Edge of the World)
8. A Circle of All Seeing
9. Teleport: Superior (level 15 spell)

Any others you can think of?

I'm going to try and focus on just the initial question, because the global coordinate stuff goes over my head.
  1. The Psionic Power of Object Read allows the psychic to glimpse some limited information regarding the previous owner in the present. Having several such items to use over time could conceivably give the psychic the ability to receive communications if always performed at set time and dates. Timely letters via pigeon (or even magic pigeon) could "restock" the psychic with items, since an Object Read can only be performed once per object per psychic. There does not appear to be a range limit on this ability, but the clarity of the vision (specifically for this use) is up for interpretation.
  2. A Mystic Alarm on an object within a dimensional bag would allow the holder of the bag to carry the object safely anywhere, and then at a location/destination "disturb" the item in order to send a one-way signal to the mage who cast the Mystic Alarm. It's a very limited form of communication but it's possible that this could be manipulated through prior planning and coordination so that it conveys meaning. Or a permanency ward could allow some sort of slow, morse code-like communication.
  3. The spell Calling only has a range of two miles per level, but in a fantasy setting that can be more significant and useful than it seems, at least on a small scale.
  4. The spell Teleport: Lesser sends an object (such as a note) on a one-way trip up to 5 miles/level away. Still "short range" in some aspects, but better range than Calling and still a significant distance in a fantasy world.
  5. Ley Line Transmission, while limited to the length of the Ley Line, could still be significant. Library of Bletherad shows some Ley Lines to be a pretty significant length.
  6. A Summoner could summon a being who can dimensionally teleport/travel and send that being with the message. It's awfully risky, but possible, depending on the type of being summoned for this purpose.
That's all I can think of for now within the books, without reaching outside of the Palladium Fantasy setting.

There is an idea I like though that comes from the Sword of Truth book series: Two identical blank books, magically linked so that whatever is written within the pages of one book instantly appears in its twin. This would allow two-way communication and I don't think it's a stretch for an Alchemist to create such an item.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

ShadowLogan wrote:Options for Instant (or near instant) Long Distance Communication:
-Ley Line Transmission Spell (pg195 PF2E): has the limitation of only allowing transmissions along a ley line, with no limit on the ley line length.
-Calling Spell (pg196 PF2E): 2miles per level, limited in scope though
-Teleport Lesser Sepll (pg199 PF2E): 5miles per level, limited in what gets teleported, but could be used for messaging (the success rate might be an issue).
-Second Sight Spell (pg202 PF2E): 5miles per level, does require both participants to know each other
-Mystic Alarm (pg191 PF2E): Single Use, but has unlimited range (even across dimensions). Depending on how Permanency Wards work with the specific incantation, you might be able to use it tap out messages (I'm assuming you know which object is being disturbed when the alarm goes off)
-Astral Projection Psi/Spell (pg168 PF2E): when combined with other abilities, it can allow for fairly fast travel (670mph speed on the physical plane, jumping to Astral plane to travel farther is possible, at least megaverally) and near instant communication. At a speed of ~11miles per minute, even at 1st level you can travel 55miles to deliver a message (due to time constraints you obviously won't be able to use the full range at 1st level) and if two astral travellers meet could increase the range even more in a hand-off (and being snapped back)
-Gem of Direction Magic Item (pg256 PF2E): okay maybe not useful for communication, but navigation is its purpose (which seems to be part of the point of this topic) and it is said to be "common". So if you know two locations and their known longitude is known, I would think you could figure out your longitude from that.

I realize that some of these don't get into the >=100s of miles requested, but using Ley Lines/Nexus modifiers and caster level (and maybe some other modifiers?)... However they could be done in a daisy chain of castings to get longer range (resulting in near instant) which can open it up even more

Yeah, most of these are too short-range or too slow to be useful, though the Mystic Alarm trick is genius. Ley Line transmission would also be a great way to go.

Astral projection wouldn't really work for this. The astral traveler would either have to go from the known point to the unknown, or vice versa; the way might not be obvious, and even if it was, we're looking for instant communication. You could go almost anywhere in the known world with astral projection in a couple of hours, but in that time, the planet would have rotated 30 degrees and your time measurement would be about 2 hours after the fact. Don't get me wrong, astral projection would be a fantastic way to do some overhead mapping with terrain association and known landmarks, especially if used with total recall, but that's good for local maps, not for huge distances.

Though a gem of direction would certainly be useful for navigation, it would not be of much help in determining longitude other than in a dead-reckoning-from-a-known-point method, and that methods becomes increasingly inaccurate over distance. It's handy, but hardly essential, since one can find true north from the north star by night and the noon sun by day, and a properly calibrated magnetic compass can do the job the rest of the time. That said, if it is precise and accurate, then such a gem could be useful as part of a setup to take sun measurements precisely at noon, which is a part (if a relatively easy part) of determining longitude.

Of course, if the Palladium world had three bright, tiny moons conveniently parked in each others' LaGrange points in geosynchronous orbit, then longitude would be almost as easy as latitude. That would be cool, but very much not canon.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Hotrod wrote:Astral projection wouldn't really work for this. The astral traveler would either have to go from the known point to the unknown, or vice versa;

Greetings and Salutations. Okay, I'm home and have my books now. Before I start though, I'll have to ask this question for you: Which point do you consider unknown? Let's set aside astral travel right now. You're referring to instant communication with someone thousands of miles away. So is the person you're trying to communicate with in some unknown location that you know nothing about or are in some unknown location and totally lost? If one is a point of reference (the point you're trying to communicate with, and I'd like to think you know the point if you're using it as reference) and the other is where you are (and you're not hopelessly lost and have no way of figuring it out), then you have two known points (especially since, if using Astral Projection, you'll have the silver cord attached to your body which helps serve as an additional directional point).

Hotrod wrote:the way might not be obvious, and even if it was, we're looking for instant communication. You could go almost anywhere in the known world with astral projection in a couple of hours, but in that time, the planet would have rotated 30 degrees and your time measurement would be about 2 hours after the fact.

Whoa! What level 24 psychic do you have to make it last for 2 hours? Setting that aside, I take it you're discussing only traveling in the material plane and traveling at 670mph (which won't get you quite anywhere in the world, depending on your starting point, but not the point)?

If we look at PF2, page 168 (second column) in the Astral Projection power we have ...

... for what would seem to be a week in the Astral Plane is barely one minute in the physical world. Time and space are twisted and distorted, so the astral traveler can travel from one end of our planet to the other, in the blink of an eye, by simply hopping through the Astral Plane.

So this is telling us that you can travel from one end of the world (the book actually says our world, which would indicate Earth) in the "blink of an eye." That you could travel for a whole week in the Astral Plane and only lose one minute in the real world. So, one minute (if you spend a whole week) and still not losing hours. If you only spent a couple hours in the Astral Plane you'd have literally lost less than one second in the real world. Three hours is just over a second. Though I suppose less than a second is still technically not "instant."

Now, the danger of becoming lost remains. Though since the book tells us how we can do this, I'd like to think it's not unfathomably difficult as to be unreasonable to accomplish. Of course, PF2, page 168 (second column) also refers to Nightbane Book One: Between the Shadows. If we include information from the Astral Plane in there, I'd also strongly recommend the Psionic: Astral Navigation. This is, again, a minor power and would allow access to the Inner Plane and the Dragon Roads (still NB1: BtS) which should make things easier to navigate. The Astral Navigation power also have a decent % once you level (a level 10 character has 95% chance success ratio, not factoring in any bonuses or penalties). And all that's needed to get a bonus as a known location is that you've been there at least once before (if you're there now, you've definitely been there once, and if you're using a point of reference, again, I'd like to think you've at least been there once).

One of the reasons I am strongly in favor (as an individual) of Astral Projection is that it's a relatively reasonable ability for someone to have. It's a minor psionic, and 25% of humans, elves, dwarves, and many other races have access to it. Astral Navigation is another minor power. This means even a Minor Psychic can have both Astral Projection and Astral Navigation. One character could even set up several known points (effectively having been there before is all that's needed) to use as reference points. This, to me, makes it seem more plausible than super ultra rare item or spell that are mostly your other options. However, Astral Projection is vague in some ways, and will ultimately work as well as difficult or as the G.M. decides. If this is for a NPC or story, then it's as easy or difficult as the writer sees fit.

Hotrod wrote:Don't get me wrong, astral projection would be a fantastic way to do some overhead mapping with terrain association and known landmarks, especially if used with total recall, but that's good for local maps, not for huge distances.

I'd argue that it would be great for long distances, but that really depends on how you use it and how you rule it. There are definitely some dangers to using it, but I'm not sure I'd say it's more dangerous than going on expeditions around the world to map it out. Anyways, that's my opinion based on what's written (though I admit some of it remains vague). The ultimate choice is yours, but I don't want an ability dismissed due to lack of information. Farewell and safe journeys for now.

Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Prysus wrote:
Hotrod wrote:Astral projection wouldn't really work for this. The astral traveler would either have to go from the known point to the unknown, or vice versa;

Greetings and Salutations. Okay, I'm home and have my books now. Before I start though, I'll have to ask this question for you: Which point do you consider unknown? Let's set aside astral travel right now. You're referring to instant communication with someone thousands of miles away. So is the person you're trying to communicate with in some unknown location that you know nothing about or are in some unknown location and totally lost? If one is a point of reference (the point you're trying to communicate with, and I'd like to think you know the point if you're using it as reference) and the other is where you are (and you're not hopelessly lost and have no way of figuring it out), then you have two known points (especially since, if using Astral Projection, you'll have the silver cord attached to your body which helps serve as an additional directional point).

Hotrod wrote:the way might not be obvious, and even if it was, we're looking for instant communication. You could go almost anywhere in the known world with astral projection in a couple of hours, but in that time, the planet would have rotated 30 degrees and your time measurement would be about 2 hours after the fact.

Whoa! What level 24 psychic do you have to make it last for 2 hours? Setting that aside, I take it you're discussing only traveling in the material plane and traveling at 670mph (which won't get you quite anywhere in the world, depending on your starting point, but not the point)?

If we look at PF2, page 168 (second column) in the Astral Projection power we have ...

... for what would seem to be a week in the Astral Plane is barely one minute in the physical world. Time and space are twisted and distorted, so the astral traveler can travel from one end of our planet to the other, in the blink of an eye, by simply hopping through the Astral Plane.

So this is telling us that you can travel from one end of the world (the book actually says our world, which would indicate Earth) in the "blink of an eye." That you could travel for a whole week in the Astral Plane and only lose one minute in the real world. So, one minute (if you spend a whole week) and still not losing hours. If you only spent a couple hours in the Astral Plane you'd have literally lost less than one second in the real world. Three hours is just over a second. Though I suppose less than a second is still technically not "instant."

Now, the danger of becoming lost remains. Though since the book tells us how we can do this, I'd like to think it's not unfathomably difficult as to be unreasonable to accomplish. Of course, PF2, page 168 (second column) also refers to Nightbane Book One: Between the Shadows. If we include information from the Astral Plane in there, I'd also strongly recommend the Psionic: Astral Navigation. This is, again, a minor power and would allow access to the Inner Plane and the Dragon Roads (still NB1: BtS) which should make things easier to navigate. The Astral Navigation power also have a decent % once you level (a level 10 character has 95% chance success ratio, not factoring in any bonuses or penalties). And all that's needed to get a bonus as a known location is that you've been there at least once before (if you're there now, you've definitely been there once, and if you're using a point of reference, again, I'd like to think you've at least been there once).

One of the reasons I am strongly in favor (as an individual) of Astral Projection is that it's a relatively reasonable ability for someone to have. It's a minor psionic, and 25% of humans, elves, dwarves, and many other races have access to it. Astral Navigation is another minor power. This means even a Minor Psychic can have both Astral Projection and Astral Navigation. One character could even set up several known points (effectively having been there before is all that's needed) to use as reference points. This, to me, makes it seem more plausible than super ultra rare item or spell that are mostly your other options. However, Astral Projection is vague in some ways, and will ultimately work as well as difficult or as the G.M. decides. If this is for a NPC or story, then it's as easy or difficult as the writer sees fit.

Hotrod wrote:Don't get me wrong, astral projection would be a fantastic way to do some overhead mapping with terrain association and known landmarks, especially if used with total recall, but that's good for local maps, not for huge distances.

I'd argue that it would be great for long distances, but that really depends on how you use it and how you rule it. There are definitely some dangers to using it, but I'm not sure I'd say it's more dangerous than going on expeditions around the world to map it out. Anyways, that's my opinion based on what's written (though I admit some of it remains vague). The ultimate choice is yours, but I don't want an ability dismissed due to lack of information. Farewell and safe journeys for now.

You make a good point about going through the Astral Plane, but if I'm in a ship blown far out to sea in a storm, and I need to get my position, could I just project, go to the Astral plane, and then pop out at my home reference point in the blink of an eye? If so, this would do the trick; just take a measurement, zonk out, and Astral-Plane-hop back to Bizantium City to look at the big clock at the shipyard. I guess I never really understood the Astral Plane. It seems like the shortcut hallways in the Matrix movies, but much more nebulous and with weird denizens and physics that aren't really defined anywhere in canon.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Hotrod wrote:You make a good point about going through the Astral Plane, but if I'm in a ship blown far out to sea in a storm, and I need to get my position, could I just project, go to the Astral plane, and then pop out at my home reference point in the blink of an eye? If so, this would do the trick; just take a measurement, zonk out, and Astral-Plane-hop back to Bizantium City to look at the big clock at the shipyard. I guess I never really understood the Astral Plane. It seems like the shortcut hallways in the Matrix movies, but much more nebulous and with weird denizens and physics that aren't really defined anywhere in canon.

Greetings and Salutations. Well, I don't know if I recommend using it during a storm. Since your body will be unconscious and defenseless during that time, I'd usually recommend making sure conditions are relatively safe. However, let's say you have a way to keep your body safe during the storm and your ship won't capsize while you're zonked out.

Setting aside issues like possibly getting captured by an Astral Being or a swarm of Entities randomly attacking you (not saying that these things are common, but that they're possible), and you've been to Bizantium City and the big clock at the shipyard before, since it's a set (unmoving) and known location I'd say you should be able to find your way, eventually (with a power like Astral Navigation and high enough level, I'd think this is much easier). Per NB1: BtS, page 39, using only the Outer Layer (figuring you don't have Astral Navigation) you'd still have a 81-00% chance of finding your way (01-40% means getting hopelessly lost, and a -5% on your next roll). But I guess I imagine it something like getting lost in an area you don't know too well. A few wrong turns, you might get really lost and have no clue where you are, so you backtrack a bit and make another wrong turn, erg, um, maybe this way, oh, hey, I recognize that spot, wait, this part isn't familiar, okay so this time I'll go back to that spot I recognized and go the other way, oh yeah, this is definitely familiar, and eventually you find your way. Now, the hope is while you're lost you don't wander into the bad neighborhood and get mugged for your wallet. :P

Now, you've found your way to Bizantium City and have your point of reference. Time to get back to your body. NB1: BtS has the same table to find your body, while the table in PF2 page 168 is slightly more favorable. One way or the other, odds are you should find your way, and because time is so wonky in the Astral Plane, you probably haven't lost much real time (even if you were lost for days, we're talking minutes at worst). But you were on water and the ship moved during the storm. Uh oh! Well, PF2, page 16 gives you a 60% chance to sense where your body is. That's right, just for it being your body you have a 60% chance of sensing where it is. If you fail, then what? Roll again next melee round (15 seconds). Odds are you should find it very soon. Unless your body is traveling faster than you can fly, you shouldn't have much issue getting back.

Getting lost is really more of a minor inconvenience than a danger, unless you stumble across something that doesn't like you and actively tries to harm you. I'd really think of it more like a Random Encounter table. You might run into things to keep a game interesting, however you have to imagine people travel all the time without getting attacked by monsters every couple of hours. Farewell and safe journeys for now.

Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. If this is for a cartographer working on an atlas for the Palladium World, an option to highlight the dangers of the Astral Plane without going into too much depth to the main character would be to have a companion travel along. Traveling (in general) can be dangerous, so the companion is the bodyguard and trailblazer type, who just so happens to have Astral Projection.

"According to the time he provided we should be at [coordinates]. He also tells of more harrowing dangers during his trip on the Astral Plane. I often think he exaggerates the perils, but his information is good so I indulge him."

This would leave a little more to the imagine. Is the character just the awesome warrior overcoming all obstacles? Or is it safe and he's just a braggart? Ah well, random idea. I'm off. Farewell and safe journeys again.

ShadowLogan
Palladin

Hotrod wrote:Yeah, most of these are too short-range or too slow to be useful, though the Mystic Alarm trick is genius. Ley Line transmission would also be a great way to go.

Most are going to be to short-range I agree, at least based on level and casting location (Ley Lines and Nexus Points do increase range) and the purpose of the communication. In some cases a few minutes delay will likely be near instant enough to not be a big deal, but in others...

Usefulness might also require being a bit creative. For example, if time keeping is to be maintained you could have "time masters" cast "Second Sight" on another "time master" to keep their clocks calibrated, but casting them at a certain time in the day cycle (sunrise, sunset, noon, etc) at their location. Range might be limited, but with a network of these Second Sight calibrated clocks going, you could coordinate information accurately based on time. "Calling" similarly could be used, but it has a lesser range than "Second Sight" and not as likely (since the person has to travel/return to be "called" again at the same time). Teleport Lesser could also work with the home base teleporting updated information at specific time or a new clock showing time at base, range likely requires a network (and them passing it to farther locations).

The main limiting factor in Ley Line Transmission is the actual length of the Ley Line, so its usefulness is rather restricted since length of these lines is not fixed. All of which can make it a bit unreliable.

Hotrod wrote:You could go almost anywhere in the known world with astral projection in a couple of hours, but in that time, the planet would have rotated 30 degrees and your time measurement would be about 2 hours after the fact.

Not necessarily as you should be able to compensate, if you know how long you spent Projecting and since speed is fixed. And most psychics aren't going to have 2hour durations (5minutes per level, 60minutes per hour = Level 12) on the physical plane (time distortion in the astral realm is another matter), so you aren't looking at 30deg rotation in most cases unless you are using high level psychics w/Ley Line boosts.

Really IINM what you are really looking for is a method of keeping accurate and calibrated time pieces, not necessarily instant communication.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

ShadowLogan wrote:
Hotrod wrote:Yeah, most of these are too short-range or too slow to be useful, though the Mystic Alarm trick is genius. Ley Line transmission would also be a great way to go.

Most are going to be to short-range I agree, at least based on level and casting location (Ley Lines and Nexus Points do increase range) and the purpose of the communication. In some cases a few minutes delay will likely be near instant enough to not be a big deal, but in others...

Usefulness might also require being a bit creative. For example, if time keeping is to be maintained you could have "time masters" cast "Second Sight" on another "time master" to keep their clocks calibrated, but casting them at a certain time in the day cycle (sunrise, sunset, noon, etc) at their location. Range might be limited, but with a network of these Second Sight calibrated clocks going, you could coordinate information accurately based on time. "Calling" similarly could be used, but it has a lesser range than "Second Sight" and not as likely (since the person has to travel/return to be "called" again at the same time). Teleport Lesser could also work with the home base teleporting updated information at specific time or a new clock showing time at base, range likely requires a network (and them passing it to farther locations).

The main limiting factor in Ley Line Transmission is the actual length of the Ley Line, so its usefulness is rather restricted since length of these lines is not fixed. All of which can make it a bit unreliable.

Hotrod wrote:You could go almost anywhere in the known world with astral projection in a couple of hours, but in that time, the planet would have rotated 30 degrees and your time measurement would be about 2 hours after the fact.

Not necessarily as you should be able to compensate, if you know how long you spent Projecting and since speed is fixed. And most psychics aren't going to have 2hour durations (5minutes per level, 60minutes per hour = Level 12) on the physical plane (time distortion in the astral realm is another matter), so you aren't looking at 30deg rotation in most cases unless you are using high level psychics w/Ley Line boosts.

Really IINM what you are really looking for is a method of keeping accurate and calibrated time pieces, not necessarily instant communication.

Either an accurate timepiece or an instantaneous method of long-range communication. Either would do the job.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Circle of Pawn summoning allows instant communications at 1000 mile radius per level of circle maker.
A 2000 mile radius from lopan pretty much covers the palladium world.
only problem is the people being contacted have to give the circle maker their ture name or a bit of hair.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Hotrod wrote:Either an accurate timepiece or an instantaneous method of long-range communication. Either would do the job.

Greetings and Salutations. Well, for accurate time a few options (none of them really common and probably not even in a PF sourcebook) I can think of ...

1: A watch (I personally like pocket watches). I know, this isn't really a PF thing, but this is a place that has high-tech weapons like laser pistols because of rift activity. A watch isn't that hard to imagine being available (though extremely uncommon). Now watches may vary over time, especially as the battery dies (and there's no way to replace it), but the further into the future we go the better it may get, and in Rifts just about everything is nuclear powered, right? :P

2: Sense Time psionic power from Rifts. This has a rather short duration (unfortunately), and won't be that useful for extended trips. If you can tap into ley lines often enough to activate the power (using the RUE rules for ISP from Ley Lines), this could work for prolonged periods of time if combined with personal reserves. Having the ley lines always available when needed though is a bit of a stretch though. However, this could be more useful if mixed with another option that might take a few hours. With time sense you should be able to keep track of how much time passes during a few hour trip, and that might be enough to offset the problems that arise as a result of travel time.

3: HU2 has the minor super power Clock Manipulation. In PF, the power would be rather useless except for one of the abilities: "Has an amazing sense of time (within 2D6 seconds). Never loses track of time nor accidently late." If you never lose track of time, while, that could also be a nice work around. I somehow suspect you don't want to justify having super powers in PF though, unless we have a dimensional traveler. Maybe he's lost all his gear and has settled into life in PF, but he still wants to explore or a cartographer in his past life, so figured why not?

Any of the above could also be used for designing something new in the PF world. Of course, if you wanted to just create something new, I somehow suspect this thread wouldn't have been started. Not sure any of that helps, but figured to throw out a few options. Farewell and safe journeys for now.

Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

The Sense Time psychic power has a long enough duration (15 minutes/level) that by level 4 a Mind Mage could keep it active all the time, since the I.S.P. to activate it would recover by the end of the hour duration. Mind Mages recover 2 I.S.P. per hour of activity, per page 161 of Palladium Fantasy 2nd Ed.

Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Glistam wrote: Mind Mages recover 2 I.S.P. per hour of activity, per page 161 of Palladium Fantasy 2nd Ed.

Greetings and Salutations. I had forgotten all about that recovery while active part. That definitely helps. Nice catch!

The only possoble issue that would remain is whether you could keep track while sleeping (whether or not you can reactivate while sleeping). I'd generally allow it (just say give up 2 I.S.P. permanently and allow it to be active all the time). Of course, two people with the power working in shifts can work around this easily enough. Farewell and safe journeys.

Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Unread post by Whiskeyjack »

IATEOTW states that there were many other different crystal devices. While not cannon, I created crystal doorways that allow for travel between any doorway that is linked. There is no limit to the distance they can cover.
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Glistam wrote:The Sense Time psychic power has a long enough duration (15 minutes/level) that by level 4 a Mind Mage could keep it active all the time, since the I.S.P. to activate it would recover by the end of the hour duration. Mind Mages recover 2 I.S.P. per hour of activity, per page 161 of Palladium Fantasy 2nd Ed.

I thought it was always local time you sensed, rather than the equivalent of GMT.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

kiralon wrote:
Glistam wrote:The Sense Time psychic power has a long enough duration (15 minutes/level) that by level 4 a Mind Mage could keep it active all the time, since the I.S.P. to activate it would recover by the end of the hour duration. Mind Mages recover 2 I.S.P. per hour of activity, per page 161 of Palladium Fantasy 2nd Ed.

I thought it was always local time you sensed, rather than the equivalent of GMT.

Technically it's just the passage of time. i.e., you know that 117 minutes (±1D4 seconds) have passed since you activated the power. Now it's Basic and Advanced Math rolls to determine what time it actually is.

Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Glistam wrote:
kiralon wrote:

Technically it's just the passage of time. i.e., you know that 117 minutes (±1D4 seconds) have passed since you activated the power. Now it's Basic and Advanced Math rolls to determine what time it actually is.

That mind mage would have to be woken up periodically to keep it going. It would be like having a colicky baby waking you up every few hours as a single parent every time the mind mage would go on a voyage. It's possible, but that would make for one very cranky mind mage. Then again, meditation is supposed to be more time-effective than sleep, so I guess it might work.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Hotrod wrote:
Glistam wrote:
kiralon wrote:

That mind mage would have to be woken up periodically to keep it going. It would be like having a colicky baby waking you up every few hours as a single parent every time the mind mage would go on a voyage. It's possible, but that would make for one very cranky mind mage. Then again, meditation is supposed to be more time-effective than sleep, so I guess it might work.

That's just what you want on a long voyage, a cranky mind mage.
Sounds like a good idea for a side adventure ;)
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Hotrod wrote:
ShadowLogan wrote:

Either an accurate timepiece or an instantaneous method of long-range communication. Either would do the job.

What about using Ward Phrases to accomplish your desired outcome? Though off the top of my head I'm not sure how you would go about it for either.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

kiralon wrote:
Hotrod wrote:
Glistam wrote:
kiralon wrote:

That's just what you want on a long voyage, a cranky mind mage.
Sounds like a good idea for a side adventure ;)

Meditation is twice as effective as sleep, and having to step out of meditation every so often wouldn't be the most onerous thing I could think of, especially if the Psychic meditates periodically in small doses throughout the day rather than in 4 or 8 hour "chunks" at night. It'd certainly a doable idea with the biggest downside being that Sense Time is not canonically a Palladium Fantasy psionic power.

I can imagine a Mind Mage being approached with this idea. "You want me to do what?" "I want you to keep accurate track of the time as I travel across the world for the next several months." "You want me to keep my mind open to the passage of time, continuously, for months?" "Yes. Is that a problem?" "It depends. I'll have some conditions. How much did you say you were going to pay me again?"

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”